PDA

View Full Version : New videos from Square-Enix to be shown at the Tokyo Game Show(FF XIII to be exact)

Crossblades
09-01-2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2831

Square-Enix has recently confirmed that they will be showing new videos of their upcoming PlayStation 3 RPGs, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, at the Tokyo Game Show this year. Hopefully they will reveal new details about these next generation games in the Final Fantasy franchise.

The Tokyo Game Show will be held on September 22nd- September 24th this year.

aerithsloveslave
09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Looking forward to it. Hopefully this one will have a less bumpy development than XII. Of course, if the rumors of PS3 games being able to be played on only 1 console turn out out to be true, all the flashy movies in the world won't make me buy the system.

Kumo
09-24-2006, 01:45 PM
OMFG god the videos were SOOOOOOOOO freaking awesome. I waited in line about 30 minutes to see the 20 minute trailer they were showing at the Tokyo Game Show. FFXIII is beyond amazing. It was the first time my jaw had dropped for a game since well .... I don't know when. First off, the PS3 graphics are beyond beautiful. The Cinematics were so massive in scope, with so much going on it was hard to see everything. I'd have to say that IN GAME battle graphics were better than the FMVs from FFX and the game play was FASTER than DEVIL MAY CRY. The head character is a girl with a sword gun, but it showed her also using guns, WAILING on her enemies with blinding speed, then following up with slashes from her sword, impaling them, bring it down from above . . . there were so many enemies on the screen at one time and so much damage was being done with them. Square has totally changed the gameplay of this one . . . the fighting system has totally been redone. NO more active battles. And the FMVs to this game? OMG!@!@#!@ Beautiful. The game takes place in the future, there's this prison train on this suspended monorail going amazingly fast, then a bomb blows up on the tracks and sets off this all out attack.

My god. .. I don't know if I can talk anymore about it.

FFXIII is actually three games. FFXIII Agito is actually a mobile phone game dealing with cards (the begininning movie for it was freaking awesome), and FFXII Versus didn't really show any gameplay but it had this guy who is supposedly from a long line of secret kings that have protected humanity for a very long time, up until the present time. It had him residing on this throne, as it told the story, then he walks outside to see all his guards dead (about 30 or so), then about 10,000 knights in armor with Machine guns (sort of an oxymoron) unleashing their fire upon him and he blocks it with these 15 (or so) invisible swords and other weapons, then chooses on weapon, which is like a sword with a ENGINE on it and then the preview stopped. I think the first game is finished and this one is still under the works.

But wow ... damn it was cool. And that was just the FFXIII stuff

Finola
09-24-2006, 02:17 PM
And from where you can watch it from the site?
I couldn't find it :D

Kumo
09-24-2006, 03:43 PM
You probably can't watch it from anywhere yet unless somebody was able to discreetly record that entire movie from the SquareEnix booth at the Tokyo Game Show. I doubt you'll see anything for a while. Check google video, you tube, and anything else you can think of to see if anybody posted anything yet.

Btw, did I mention how GOOD the music was in these games? The main theme they used during FFXIII was better than anything I've heard ... well ever. It's really engrossing and empowering along with the gameplay.

Nifleheim7
09-25-2006, 04:45 AM
OMFG god the videos were SOOOOOOOOO freaking awesome. I waited in line about 30 minutes to see the 20 minute trailer they were showing at the Tokyo Game Show. FFXIII is beyond amazing. It was the first time my jaw had dropped for a game since well .... I don't know when. First off, the PS3 graphics are beyond beautiful. The Cinematics were so massive in scope, with so much going on it was hard to see everything. I'd have to say that IN GAME battle graphics were better than the FMVs from FFX and the game play was FASTER than DEVIL MAY CRY. The head character is a girl with a sword gun, but it showed her also using guns, WAILING on her enemies with blinding speed, then following up with slashes from her sword, impaling them, bring it down from above . . . there were so many enemies on the screen at one time and so much damage was being done with them. Square has totally changed the gameplay of this one . . . the fighting system has totally been redone. NO more active battles. And the FMVs to this game? OMG!@!@#!@ Beautiful. The game takes place in the future, there's this prison train on this suspended monorail going amazingly fast, then a bomb blows up on the tracks and sets off this all out attack.

FFXIII is actually three games. FFXIII Agito is actually a mobile phone game dealing with cards (the begininning movie for it was freaking awesome), and FFXII Versus didn't really show any gameplay but it had this guy who is supposedly from a long line of secret kings that have protected humanity for a very long time, up until the present time. It had him residing on this throne, as it told the story, then he walks outside to see all his guards dead (about 30 or so), then about 10,000 knights in armor with Machine guns (sort of an oxymoron) unleashing their fire upon him and he blocks it with these 15 (or so) invisible swords and other weapons, then chooses on weapon, which is like a sword with a ENGINE on it and then the preview stopped. I think the first game is finished and this one is still under the works.

Ok.
I envy you.
Really.
:mad:

RiseToFall
09-25-2006, 05:39 AM

-And your 100% sure that they were showing actual gameplay for FF XIII and not just a FMV made to look like gameplay.
-Basically was there a guy holding a controller and playing the game or was it just a movie?

Kumo
09-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I know what you mean . . . there wasn't actually anybody holding the controller and playing it, it was just a movie (have you EVER seen a preview with somebody holding a controller and playing it? Come on . . . be realistic).

I believe that given the power of the PS3, it is more than likely possible that what was shown was actual gameplay. I saw the girl moving around, shooting enemies, slashing them, casting magic . . .and all the while there was numbers appearing near the enemies DENOTING that damage was being taken. Plus I also saw the main character running around in a highly detailed, expansive forest environment and it was just beautiful. It is possible that when you get the actual game, unless you have a high end TV with a high-end game cable that the picture and gameplay won't be as clear, but it was still damn impressive. The gameplay seemed to be on par with quality of the movies from FFX. I'd even go as far to say that the gameplay had better graphics than the movie, FF:TSW.

Have you seen the in game graphics of FFXII yet? It was quite a jump from FFX, especially with the environments.

RiseToFall
09-25-2006, 11:04 PM
I know what you mean . . . there wasn't actually anybody holding the controller and playing it, it was just a movie (have you EVER seen a preview with somebody holding a controller and playing it? Come on . . . be realistic).

Umm that's exactly the way Epic games showed off Gears of War at this year's E3. Cliff Bleszinki was holding the controller on stage and was playing on a small monitor. While at the same time there was a huge monitor showing everyone what he was doing.

They did the same thing for Halo 2 and many other games. It just proves that the gameplay is real and not some mock up CG video that the team put together, as was shown by the fake Killzone 2 videos.

Kumo
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
SO that makes it what . . . 5% of the companies that produce games that show their products like that? There were games you could play, and games that were still in the production stages and unplayable. That sorta thing happens. Not every game from a company is playable at a game show.

RiseToFall
09-26-2006, 09:13 PM
SO that makes it what . . . 5% of the companies that produce games that show their products like that? There were games you could play, and games that were still in the production stages and unplayable. That sorta thing happens. Not every game from a company is playable at a game show.

I know that not all games will be shown in playable form, that's understandable.

The thing with me is that I would like to see actual gameplay. As in the game being played, before I jump for joy and assume the graphics are real. I guess these days I became kind of synical of all the CG being shown because some companies claim that it is indeed gameplay, which makes the fanboys go crazy with excitement.

Square has even done this in the past but with a different way. They did it with commercials. Think back to 97, do you remember seeing the FF VII commercials, none of those were actually gameplay. So those new to FF played it and got something completely different.Yeah Square never actually said that this was the gameplay but they sure as hell didn't deny it either.
I know this is a bit off topic from the actual post but it's true. I am just one of those people that needs to see the gameplay, not a CG video in order to be happy.

Kumo
09-27-2006, 05:16 PM
I heartily agree with you. I want to see gameplay too. But we can all agree that it will have AT LEAST the quality of FFX . . . and that was a pretty good game (minus the voice acting). ANd who was it .. . Xbox that showed their games from "workstations" and not actual systems and caused a huge uproar over how games are markted and what not?

Desert Merchant
10-06-2006, 05:57 PM
you can watch the videos on youtube if you type in FFXIII and it shows menus like as if it were in a battle thats how he knows its in game footage and not FMV