PDA

View Full Version : Most Controversial FF?

Rocket Edge
09-02-2006, 02:23 PM
What in your opinion is the most controversial FF?

I have to say 8. With it's battle system, character's, love story, & then of course you have all the attachment's with it's theories & such.

Goldenboko
09-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Most controversial Theory= R=U- People seem to be at each others throats when discussing the R=U Theory.

Most controversial character= Sephiroth- I say this because if you make a Thread talking how good Sephiroth is, how bad Sephiroth is, or even how indifferent you are about him you can expect at least 2 pages of replys even if you don't back up your opinion.

Most controversial game- Thats a tough one and I'm going to go with FFIX- This game is really complicated at some points and many people misinterpret important parts of the game- Necron, the crystal, (What sex kuja is lol)...
You'll see many times in story related threads that there will be 3 or even more interpretations of the same part of the gam.

Tavrobel
09-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Controversial at the time of release, or currently?

If at time of pre-release, it was probably seven and eight, and perhaps ten. For seven and eight, the games released were not only pushed onto the Playstation as a result of Nintendo being huge monster jackasses, but were also very different from the previous six. Seven was more sci-fi, and eight seemed far more modern. As a result, the huge popularity of the game caused controversy, much more than any other of the previous games (R=U, Aeris), whilst also including more complex plots (although FFVII was complex due to it's complete lack of something called coherent translation). FFX has done away with the ATB in favor of the CTB, and came after a series of water lukewarm games by Square. It's multiplayer aspects were considered something worth the wait, but was scrapped in favor of three hundred hour ingame sidequests.

Ironically enough, the games that were controversial at release are controversial now, due to the sheer amount of FFVII's spinoffs and X's uber-suck sequel. I don't consider R=U a legitimate problem, so FFVIII is no longer controversial, but it does show somewhat of a gap between generational fans; the Old school (FFI-VI), and the New school (FFVII and above). FFIX isn't quite as controversial as the others, but it's got these little nuances that are blown out of proportion and ratted on by the fan-n00bs.

Goldenboko
09-02-2006, 05:16 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=90871
That seems pretty controversial to me...
(And I thought he ment storyline is controversial)

Decessus
09-02-2006, 05:25 PM
FF7. This is because you can actually revive a character by digging them up at bone village. It really hurt the plot in my oppinion.

Goldenboko
09-02-2006, 05:52 PM
FF7. This is because you can actually revive a character by digging them up at bone village. It really hurt the plot in my oppinion.
Huh?

Tavrobel
09-02-2006, 06:11 PM

CHEESE WEAPON!

R=U isn't a legitimate grounds for claiming that FFVIII is controversial, as all efforts to justify the theory have been stripped away by Square. Anyone else who clamors for R=U either doesn't understand the theory itself, or why it was made, or they simply want to add adequate depth to a character, which isn't actually there, or false.

Goldenboko
09-02-2006, 06:24 PM

R=U isn't a legitimate grounds for claiming that FFVIII is controversial, as all efforts to justify the theory have been stripped away by Square. Anyone else who clamors for R=U either doesn't understand the theory itself, or why it was made, or they simply want to add adequate depth to a character, which isn't actually there, or false.
I said it was the most controversial theory I've ever seen. Even though I don't agree with it and hate its existence it does get alot of attention.

Tavrobel
09-02-2006, 06:49 PM
There is no controversy. Please don't turn this into another R=U thread.

The problem with the theory is that the whole thing hinged on the idea that sorceresses didn’t age. This was recently proven untrue by the FFVIII Ultimania Guide which corrected Edea’s passage to say that sorceresses do age, they just can’t die until they give up their powers. This of course makes the entire theory pretty much pointless.

Psychotic
09-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Final Fantasy X-2. The amount of people who have got their panties in a bunch about that one - without even giving it a chance - is ridiculous.

Bolivar
09-09-2006, 04:12 AM
Final Fantasy X-2. The amount of people who have got their panties in a bunch about that one - without even giving it a chance - is ridiculous.

i agree with you on that, 9 falls into that too.

the games aren't really controversial though, only amongst FF fans.

7 is in that sense, because so many fans of the classics seem to have a grudge against it.

Sylvie
09-09-2006, 06:45 AM
FFX-2. I hear hate, and then love towards it. I haven't played it yet though.

LunarWeaver
09-09-2006, 06:53 AM

Tell me about it that bone village ruined everything. :spin:

I think XI is the most controversial because it carried a concrete numeral but was quite, quite different from the others. Well, even by Final Fantasy departure standards.

Griff
09-09-2006, 10:08 PM
In terms of "outside of game" controvercy, definately 7. Mainly because of fanboys

Dynast-Kid
09-09-2006, 10:26 PM

Dreddz
09-09-2006, 11:09 PM
FFX dealt with some serious topics, mainly religion. I would see that being the most controversial FF...

theundeadhero
09-10-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't find any of the game content to be overly controvercial.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Seven had a few swear words in it. Don't know about the rest. Final Fantasies don't seem to be very controversial games

Captain Maxx Power
09-10-2006, 12:45 AM
"FF I and one I/II" was so controversial it wasn't even released! Or even got out of theory stages! :eek:

Rocket Edge
09-10-2006, 02:32 PM
FFX dealt with some serious topics, mainly religion. I would see that being the most controversial FF...
That's a good point..

theundeadhero
09-10-2006, 03:35 PM
After thinking about it I guess the political assassignation attempt in FFVIII was pretty controversial.

black orb
09-11-2006, 08:40 AM
>>> Kuja`s pants were controversial..

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
There is no controversial FF the story pretty much ends the same for the past final fantasies.

A controversial FF would be when you could play as the bad guy and kill the so called "heros".

I would love to have a FF like that.

Kefka_Almighty
09-12-2006, 10:57 PM
That's a good point..

But it also wasn't the first to deal with religion, that being FF T. However, I think that FF X did a much better job in dealing with the subject, as it actually felt like it served a purpose there instead of being put in the game for the mere SAKE of looking like it had some depth or symbolism to it.

Really, though, I don't think any FF game is truly controversial.

LunarWeaver
09-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Wait, are we talking about in terms of plot or in terms of polarizing the fanbase? I said XI, but plot wise I would say X then.