PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think Final Fantasy Is Turning Into An EMO Game(?) Poll

TheMasterOfFinalFantasy
09-02-2006, 02:45 PM
I Do :D

Goldenboko
09-02-2006, 02:47 PM
How? I don't see people cuting themselves?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
Welcome to 1994.

Shoden
No, you!
Make this thread in GFF next time. =(
This aint going to last unless you give reasons. There is no poll.

Markus. D
nope.

Psydekick
09-02-2006, 03:00 PM
No just No

theundeadhero
09-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Since about FFIV, yeah.

DJZen
09-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Yes, and it's all your fault for turning Cloud into the most popular game character in history. SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?

oddler
09-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Come on. Seriously? Stereotypes suck. No, also.

Quindiana Jones
09-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes I mean, in FF9, the main character motto was: "You don't need a reason to help people". How much more EMO can you get??

Hang on...

~SapphireStar~
09-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Emo and FF? Nah, dont see it.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Nope.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
09-02-2006, 07:47 PM
eehhhh, NO

Ryth
09-02-2006, 07:54 PM
No. Stop basing FF off Squall and Cloud. :D

theundeadhero
09-02-2006, 08:11 PM
FFIV: Kain

Oh, I'm so sad cause Rosa picked Cecil over me. I'm going let myself get manipulated so I can kill them. OH BUT WAIT! I can't. I'm too weak. I'll just feel sorry for myself cause of what I was thinking of doing.

FFV: Butz

I never knew my dad 'cause he was always off adventuring :cry:

FFVI: Terra

OMG, I'm so sad because I don't know what love is. Noone ever loved me and now I can't love anybody else. What should I do :whimper:

FFVII: Cloud

All the other kids pick on me :snot: I'm going to pretend to be someone else so everyone thinks I'm cool.

FFVIII: Squall

Don't talk to me cause I'm so scared of human interaction! I'm just gonna sit in the corner and wear black to scare everyone away.

VIX: Vivi

I don't know the meaning of life. I don't know why I'm here. Waht's my purpose :(

FFX: Titus

I HATE YOU DAD! :mad2:

Griff
09-02-2006, 08:35 PM
To quote Xplay's recent review of DoC: "FF7 was emo before emo was emo." That statement I can agree with, other than that, no.

Alexander
09-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Are you talking about Cloud, Sephiroth, or FFVIII's cast?

If you are, yes, FF is totally emo.

If not, no, FF is far from emo. Not even Tidus is emo - he is just a bit whiny about his dad, ne's no anti-social suicide boy.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Nope. Darker storylines are fairly staple in a genre that requires the saving of the world. That hardly constitutes "emo."

Angi-Kaiser
09-02-2006, 09:47 PM
I think that some of them have some major aditude/angst problems (Cloud and Squal, for example), but for the most part, it's not emo. Sure, Butz/Bartz is sad about not really knowing his dad, but he's also fairly resiliant and optomistic throughout the game. Kain is really in love with Rosa, and resentfull of the fact that she loves Cecil (More soap-opera-ish than emo). Terra has been treated as an object her entire life, as nothing but a slave, and suddenly she finds herself free, bombarded with hard choices, and hit with feelings and emotions that she she's never experianced before. You'd be confused too if the most love you've ever gotten before in your life was someone barking orders at you. Cloud.... eh, he's on the boarder fo Emo. Same with Squall. Zidane is super cheerful. Vivi is a little boy who suddenly finds people who look just like him, but are nothing but mindless killing machines. That would be enough to make anyone wonder, "Am I any better, any different? If I'm not like them, then who am I?" Tidus dislikes his dad because, as a general rule, his parents ignored him, his father being the one who stole his mother's attention away from him. While I'm not going to say that that isn't somewhat emo, otherwise he's nothing but cheerful and anoying.

It takes alot more than character flaws to make someone emo.

Tavrobel
09-02-2006, 09:58 PM
It takes alot more than character flaws complexity and strengths to make someone emo, which is a rather simple way to create a wholesomely uninteresting character.

Roto13
09-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Squall would be emo if he was whiney and suicidal. He has the tight clothes and anti-social personality, but that's it.

Shiny
09-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Emo? No. If it was "emo" then it would have been "emo" a long time ago...

Ryth
09-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Nope. Darker storylines are fairly staple in a genre that requires the saving of the world. That hardly constitutes "emo."

I agree, this "emo" scene pretty much has taken anything of emotion (or the slight hint of negative emotion really) and makes it seem emo.

tidus_rox
09-03-2006, 04:58 AM
I dont even know where you got that question from... Like people giving examples of sad people in eachone. Yeah, everyone cant be happy and cheery and think everything is pefect. NO Final Fantasy is not emo

DJZen
09-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Emo just means emotional, guys. :D

boys from the dwarf
09-03-2006, 10:09 AM
its already pretty emotional E.G. FF8. its not turning into an emo game. its already is one. the characters in FF show emotions and have good peronalities so i guess it is emo but its not turning into an emo game because it already is emo.

blackmage_nuke
09-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Celes tried to kill herself, but no

Paul
09-03-2006, 12:19 PM
yeah FF is pretty emo and has been for a while. but it has good gameplay so i don't care.

the least emo final fantasy game is probably tactics... and XII is made by the same team so maybe they'll sort the story out and it'll actually be about REAL THINGS rather than teenagers dealing with their "new feelings".

Roto13
09-03-2006, 08:25 PM
And hair in unexpected places.

Like their tongues.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Yea well it´s all Squall fault but that´s only one example so my answer is a strong NO!!!!!!

Captain Maxx Power
09-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Provided there's Pirates involved at some point, then EMOism is out of the question.

Melkor_
09-06-2006, 06:42 PM
what is emo ?
you mean emotional things?

someone define emo

Paul
09-07-2006, 09:35 AM
what is emo ?

someone define emo
emo is like when someone is like "OH THIS IS SO SAD I FEEL SO SORRY FOR MYSELF WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO"

when really, an adult can see that the situation isn't all bad, and that the person in question is just being dramatic.

final fantasy is getting like this in a way. tidus was totally dad-emo. garnet was throne-emo. cloud and squall were probably the most emo characters in existence (especially squall).

6 and lower weren't so emo.

Skarr
09-08-2006, 02:13 AM
What is it with you people and emo? :twak:
Some emo is good, it gives the game a feeling of great grief or pity for a certain character. Although I admit, some games go overboard with it.

DarkLadyNyara
09-08-2006, 02:45 AM
No. There are a few "emo" elements in some of the later games, *coughSephirothcough* but the series as a whole is not emo by any means.

The Crystal
09-08-2006, 02:52 AM
what is emo ?

someone define emo
emo is like when someone is like "OH THIS IS SO SAD I FEEL SO SORRY FOR MYSELF WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO"

when really, an adult can see that the situation isn't all bad, and that the person in question is just being dramatic.

final fantasy is getting like this in a way. tidus was totally dad-emo. garnet was throne-emo. cloud and squall were probably the most emo characters in existence (especially squall).

First, Squall was just cold with others, when Cloud was TOTALLY emo during more then half of the game(and the movie). Second, you think that FFVI is not emo?

Paul
09-08-2006, 09:13 AM
squall was cold because he thought he had serious issues. when really he was just emo as fuck.

maybe my interpretation of emo is different. i thought squall was the most emo of them all.

Melkor_
09-08-2006, 01:51 PM
What's so bad?
People who are dramatic are still people.
If you never feel sorrow and if you are insensitive ,this is bad.
So,what shall we do?When a problem occurs,shall we say ''Woo-hoo!It's a problem!Yay!I am so strong and this is easy as pie for me!''
That's stupid.You have to know the problem,and then be able to cope with it.
Through sadness you grow.
Why do you hate emo people so much?
Why are you being so discriminative with your own kind?
Get a life and leave people alone,unless they do something to you.Emo don't make you feel like garbage.''Adult behaviour'' makes other people feel like garbage many times.
I hate this kind of people.

Paul
09-08-2006, 09:58 PM
everyone has problems kid. when somebody is always feeling sorry for themselves, they just come across as pathetic. it's okay to be emotional and feel down sometimes. but when that is all you are, it's in your head and you're being dramatic.

Araciel
09-08-2006, 10:05 PM
i didn't think this whole 'emo' thing was so huge back then...but k...the games include many emotions. they are games.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-08-2006, 10:14 PM
How? I don't see people cuting themselves?
Make them attack themselves. Duh

And ever since squall got created I think they've had an enormous change.

Jessweeee♪
09-09-2006, 02:43 AM
yep.

LunarWeaver
09-09-2006, 02:51 AM
what is emo ?

someone define emo

Yeah, being shoved into a situation where you have to save the world and your life is threatened wouldn't be psychologically stressful in the least. They're all just being drama queens, every one of them. I mean, all of us would pick up the sword and slay the evil, powerful villain that just burned down our hometown and killed all our family and friends with a big smile on our face. All of us would certainly hop through time without knowing if we could come back or not and date a potentially dangerous sorceress. Oh Cloud, Squall... you make me lol with your uncalled for drama.

Goldenboko
09-09-2006, 03:20 AM
what is emo ?

someone define emo

Yeah, being shoved into a situation where you have to save the world and your life is threatened wouldn't be psychologically stressful in the least. They're all just being drama queens, every one of them. I mean, all of us would pick up the sword and slay the evil, powerful villain that just burned down our hometown and killed all our family and friends with a big smile on our face. All of us would certainly hop through time without knowing if we could come back or not and date a potentially dangerous sorceress. Oh Cloud, Squall... you make me lol with your uncalled for drama.

*Rises from chair and gives a standing ovation*
Well said!

The Crystal
09-09-2006, 03:45 AM

We aren't talking about reallity here. We are talking about fictional characters. Of course, that a REAL person, would be very emo in a situation like that(save the world, etc). But they are fictional characters, with different lifes, and personalitys then us.
Exist many fictional characters that have a life much worse then them, but they aren't emo. If their lifes is worse then Cloud or Squall, why their aren't emo? Because the creator of the character, don't want him/her to be emo.

Resuming: Doesn't mater why they are emo. What really mater is that they are emo, you like it or not, period. And sometimes, they are annoying because of it.

Bolivar
09-09-2006, 03:56 AM
Squall is the most emo one that comes to mind, because he was so anti-social and thought everyone was stupid for depending on other people.

I find it funny people are calling Cloud emo to vent their hatred for FFVII when throughout the whole game he was always acting cocky, or trying to be the "cool guy".

Even with 8, I don't think FF is emo. Melodramatic at times, yes, but none of them ever made an album or tried to kill themselves because their girlfriend broke up with them...

The Crystal
09-09-2006, 04:27 AM
Squall is the most emo one that comes to mind, because he was so anti-social and thought everyone was stupid for depending on other people.

I find it funny people are calling Cloud emo to vent their hatred for FFVII when throughout the whole game he was always acting cocky, or trying to be the "cool guy".

Well, this "cool guy" was a loser that has to create a new personality(Zack) to hide the fact that he was a loser. Some times during the game, he was very afraid of the enemy(Sephiroth), and he was very angst because of Aerith's dead. Cloud was "weak"(personality) during all the game and movie, and all his friends knew it. This is why he is the King Emo of the FF series.

Squall was emo, but the difference between him and Cloud, is that he hide his insecuritys, and tried to appear strong to the others. He was just emo inside of his head, and he, at least, wasn't afraid of the main enemy, like Cloud was.
To all his friends, Squall was a guy with strong personality, but a cold heart.
To all his friends, Cloud was a guy with weak personality, and a complex of inferiority.

You can give many motives to explain why Cloud was emo, but the fact is that he is, maybe, the most emo character in all the FF series(winning of Squall in that category).

Sunny Day Suicide
09-09-2006, 04:46 AM
Squall was gay because he was super anti social. The most interesting thing he can say is '...'

LunarWeaver
09-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Squall was gay because he was super anti social. The most interesting thing he can say is '...'

Squall is gay because he bangs Seifer not because he uses etc. dots crazy Mr. Shout <3

The Crystal
09-09-2006, 06:29 AM
"Squall was gay because he was super anti social. The most interesting thing he can say is '...'"

"Squall is gay because he bangs Seifer not because he uses etc. dots crazy Mr. Shout <3"

Both Cloud and Squall are gay and emo. Zidane is ten times better then them.

LunarWeaver
09-09-2006, 06:41 AM
"Squall was gay because he was super anti social. The most interesting thing he can say is '...'"

"Squall is gay because he bangs Seifer not because he uses etc. dots crazy Mr. Shout <3"

Both Cloud and Squall are gay and emo. Zidane is ten times better then them.

I think the real question we have to ask ourselves is what exactly is an "emo". Is it not simply somebody who shows emotion, or in a stereotypical sense shows a depressive nature? Isn't that just a character type? Final Fantasy isn't the first or last to use it. Games and anime use it all the time. Should they all be happy? Should every single Final Fantasy lead ever be a happy bumpy character full of butterflies and peachcream? IX and X both have much more extroverted, cheerful leads... Different games have different personalities attached to the characters, and one isn't good or bad. The typical brooding Squall-type is used in all forms of entertainment all over the place. People pick apart anything titled Final Fantasy to the extent they buy it just so they can say they hate it.

And you seem to have assumed me calling Squall gay was me insulting him for some reason :jess:

Paul
09-09-2006, 11:04 AM
i'm not really discussing whether emo is a good or a bad thing.

i'm just stating the fact that some of the FF characters are emo.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Zidane for the win!

Bolivar
09-10-2006, 03:29 AM

Well, this "cool guy" was a loser that has to create a new personality(Zack) to hide the fact that he was a loser. Some times during the game, he was very afraid of the enemy(Sephiroth), and he was very angst because of Aerith's dead. Cloud was "weak"(personality) during all the game and movie, and all his friends knew it. This is why he is the King Emo of the FF series.

Squall was emo, but the difference between him and Cloud, is that he hide his insecuritys, and tried to appear strong to the others. He was just emo inside of his head, and he, at least, wasn't afraid of the main enemy, like Cloud was.
To all his friends, Cloud was a guy with weak personality, and a complex of inferiority.

You can give many motives to explain why Cloud was emo, but the fact is that he is, maybe, the most emo character in all the FF series(winning of Squall in that category).

I'm guessing you never made it to the part where he leaves the party. You know, when they don't know what to do next, talking about how it wouldn't be like that if Cloud was there.

The Crystal
09-10-2006, 07:34 AM

I'm guessing you never made it to the part where he leaves the party. You know, when they don't know what to do next, talking about how it wouldn't be like that if Cloud was there.

What i remember, is that ONLY Tifa said it(talking about how it wouldn't be like that if Cloud was there). The others don't wanted Cloud with them, because they are afraid that Sephiroth could controll his mind again, and make him try to kill them. Ah, and the fact that Cloud has a weak personality and tried to kill his friends some times, prove that Squall was a better lider then him too.
Cloud is not a bad character, but he is more emo then Squall.

Griff
09-10-2006, 05:18 PM
One could argue that Squall isn't emo at all but just doesn't give a flying crap about other people's problems and thinks everyone can take care of themselves...

Ashley Schovitz
09-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Everyone here is emotional to a point, but don't say emo that just sounds nerdish, and as what you and the majoprity of the people think emo is negative I'm going to vote for no. Emotions and personalities are the things that make great stories.

black orb
09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
>>> FF = emoest game ever..

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-11-2006, 09:46 PM
"Emo, no, they're Chocobos."
"Huh?"
"Those birds are not Emos, they are Chocobos."
"No, no, no."
"What?"
"Emu, not Emo."
"Huh?"
"Never mind."

A recent conversation I just had with someone who shall remain nameless. But my vote went to no. I think it's kind of normal how these characters mentioned above act. I had a lot of problems with my dad, but I didn't feel sorry about myself and pout all day. I just don't include him in my life anymore.