PDA

View Full Version : Are sidequests worth it? If so... convince me. *possibly minor spoilers*

tidus_rox
09-03-2006, 03:48 AM
I just reached Zanarkand today, and in the guide (just before you fight sin) it says Side Quest Time! I only entered the secret cordinations in the airship then went and got the item that was in each one. I want to get all the legendary weapons, but it just looks like it would take SO long. And you have to get two additional items just to get it! So are they worht it?

Tavrobel
09-03-2006, 03:53 AM
It's only worth it if you desire to complete the game to its fullest, IE invest enough time to get everything (200 hours). If all you want to do is finish the game, you might as well skip the sidequests and do the final battle. There are some sidequests that reveal more about the plot: Jecht Spheres, Omega Ruins, and Maechen, but these are not essential, and really more for aesthetic purposes. Other sidequests add some challenge and nuance to the game, but outside of Dark Aeons and the Monster Arena, not much else does anything.

tidus_rox
09-03-2006, 03:59 AM
Not even legandary weapons?

Goldenboko
09-03-2006, 04:08 AM
Braska's Final Aeon can be beat by very undertrained partys.
The best I've ever seen...

Skip the begining or... SPOILERS

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5SyS8gZyjYM

tidus_rox
09-03-2006, 04:36 AM
Wow that was cool. Lol i dont think i would ever be able to do that

Rockyvu
09-04-2006, 03:27 AM
I just reached Zanarkand today, and in the guide (just before you fight sin) it says Side Quest Time! I only entered the secret cordinations in the airship then went and got the item that was in each one. I want to get all the legendary weapons, but it just looks like it would take SO long. And you have to get two additional items just to get it! So are they worht it?

It is posible to finish the game and watch the ending early. But in order to play your game to it's fullest, that is max out stats and kill all the strongest boss, it will takes about 200 hrs. For some people, it took them over 300 hrs and they still can't do it.

Max out stats , I mean by

Health 999,999
MP 9,999
255 Strenght
255 Defence
255 Magic
255 Magic Defence
255 Evasion
255 Luck
255 Agility
255 Acurracy

Goldenboko
09-04-2006, 03:41 AM

It is posible to finish the game and watch the ending early. But in order to play your game to it's fullest, that is max out stats and kill all the strongest boss, it will takes about 200 hrs. For some people, it took them over 300 hrs and they still can't do it.

Max out stats , I mean by

Health 999,999
MP 9,999
255 Strenght
255 Defence
255 Magic
255 Magic Defence
255 Evasion
255 Luck
255 Agility
255 Acurracy
You mean 99,999 Hp right?

Tavrobel
09-04-2006, 03:43 AM
Health 999,999
MP 9,999
255 Strenght
255 Defence
255 Magic
255 Magic Defence
255 Evasion
255 Luck
255 Agility
255 Acurracy

A) health can only go to 99999
B) any MP value above 999 is useless (and it really is)
C) 255 Eva/Acc is vestigal and unnecessary with a 255 Luck rating (base values still required)
D) there aren't enough spaces on the grid to support all 99999 HP and 255 in all other stats
E) HP past 9999 is unnecessary as well, but it makes you look buff
F) Levian Maricks

Rockyvu
09-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Your right in most part.

99,999 HP
999 MP

my bad.

As for the spread grid, you can get 99,999 HP plus 255 for all by having 30% hp, 20% hp, Break HP Limit customize armor. This armor is actually quite weak compare to any armors with Auto-Haste, Phoenix, Potion and Ribbon. So why do it? Because after beating all the bosses and ya got nothing else to you, the character just looks good.

Shadowdeathrose
09-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Braska's Final Aeon can be beat by very undertrained partys.
The best I've ever seen...

Skip the begining or... SPOILERS

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5SyS8gZyjYM

"well i am sin you know" anyway yeah i loved that fight otherworld bakc in action! and jecht comon tidus.....kick his face in.... wait he crys.... awwww how sweet... anyways yeah loved it

Levian
09-04-2006, 09:07 AM
F) Levian Maricks

:mad2:

ValiantKnight
09-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Personally I beat it, and then went back for final weapons(besides Auron and Yuna's which I already had). After getting Tidus' weapon, and boy a headache that it was, I'm not as focused on doing everything anymore.

I think I'll go find those Spheres to watch more plot, and maybe play the cactuar game to see the village.. Not going to do Wakka, Lulu, Kimarhi, and possibly might do Rikku's final weapon.

All there is left is a bunch of monsters who require me to beat a bunch of other monsters who never really give me anything but bragging rights.

I already beat Omega(forgot to lancet him /sigh).
And I've already seen all monster creations except for the last two originals.

It's up to you if you want to spend time in it... but like the above posters... you WILL need to completely activate the sphere grid for three people just to START being able to kill things in the arena.

:)

After that comes stat maxing.

My Tidus has every regular sphere activated and quite a few magic def spheres from One Eye too.. Most of his stats are in the 120-150 range, and even with having those decent stats, the first original creation hits him for 46,000dmg.

Tavrobel
09-04-2006, 02:53 PM
F) Levian Maricks

:mad2:

You know that we love you.

Fear_and_loathing
09-04-2006, 03:56 PM
so ive just started on the sidequests...
i was gonna get Aurons celestial and picked up the rusty sword and got myself to mushroom rock.. But then otta nowhere the sisters pop out and really owns me. will the dark aeons go away when i do something in particular, or does anyone have a neat trick to outrun them or kick their *ss?
I really want Aurons bad*ass weapon!!

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
09-04-2006, 04:04 PM
i would recommend side quests if u want the get the most out of the game. this game was released years ago and i'm still playing it thanks to all the secret stuff. plus by the time uve dun it all u'll want to start again cos uve 4goten the story :D

Disco Potato
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
I want to get all the legendary weapons, but it just looks like it would take SO long. And you have to get two additional items just to get it! So are they worht it?

I don't think so - Yuna and Auron's aren't very hard to get (at least with the NA version), but I ended up not using them and just customized weapons instead. Although getting the right items to add some of the better abilities to customized weapons can take a while too :mad:

ValiantKnight
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Not sure on the dark aeons, as I don't have the Int version.

However I hear they are stronger than most things in the arena... and given the fact that only Tidus(whos completely filled the entire default sphere grid(before filling in all the empties and clearing +1s for 4s...) can even stand up to half of the arena monsters for very long.. I would say that if you can't find a way to outrun them... you will need to be able to beat them....

and that leveling is going to take a while.

LoveMeNot
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
yeah if u wanna beat the game all the way then do it...the final weapons r really cool though i like them alot...and the side quest to take alittle while but its worth it i think:)

Fear_and_loathing
09-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah... Well I got really really owned.. The sister started out with full overdrive and I was dead after two turns..

I used A Aeon to cover their first attack wich wasnt their overdrive, but it dealt max damage never the less...

Ive never felt so humiliated.. I just sat there with my jaw hanging down.. hehe
I also met Valefor at besaid. Same thing there.. Maybe ittl be a different story if im prepared to meet em. :)

4evarisha
09-05-2006, 05:19 AM
I would have to say the fun sidequest are worth it:)
Rikku Sidequest
Yuna Sidequest
Wakka Sidequest
Auron Sidequest

KImarhi,Lulu,and Tidus sidequest is getting on my nerves but I am doing it only for the sigil!

ValiantKnight
09-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Blitzball I can't seem to get re-interested in...

Lulu and Kimarhi's sigills I don't really want to even try.

Tidus's is annoying, but fast refresh timer on it.. so you shouldn't spend toooo long on it. The birds can be VERY annoying at times when the trainer gets right behind you and therefore locks all 4 birds on you.. I had some good runs often but I'd get to that last stretch and get nailed by one bird..... out of luck/bad dodging.. then the 2 birds for the trainer would hit me before i got control back! then my 2 birds were back and hit me! then the 2 birds for the trainer! then the trainer passed me and I could finish. Being stun locked is a PAIN :(

I had to end up getting at least 12 net ballons(13 ballons, 1 bird, and 35.9 or something I think was my final time)... after getting a 0.4, 0.1, 0.6, and 0.8... finally got that 0.0

No.78
09-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Lulu and Kimarhi's sigills I don't really want to even try.

Lulu's really isn't that bad if you set off a chain reaction in that crater or find an area with lots of bolts. Really it will take an hour tops :)

But yeah... Avoiding them red butterflies on that turning is apparently based entirely on luck :( *rips harp playing bird thing's beak off*

*gets Rikku to mug chocobo lady for sigil*

Laugh at face of Danger
09-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Tee Hee, I'm one of those crazies that simply has to get everything right, Tidus and Lulu have gone all the way around the grid and Tidus finally has a strength of over 200! *cheers* its a shame that i can hit 99999 now i think, i wrecked the final boss, but the yu yevon aeons crush me because their stats are high too... *anger*

That guy on that thing... some people are insane, in a good way

Alexander
09-08-2006, 06:36 AM
I myself am playing for the first time in months, so I didn't care for all Al Bhed primers, Spheres for Auron's OD, etc.

The only side thing that I _always_ do in my games is to get Yojimbo, Anima and Magus Sisters. And activate the easy Celestial Weapons (Godhand, Nirvana and maybe Masamune and Caladbolg if I have patience for those two). And unlock some creations, in order to get items to teach neat abilities to Anima my aeons.

So, you really should only get your hands on the hidden Aeons. They are worth it. Specially Anima.

Oh, Anima. <33333~

LunarWeaver
09-08-2006, 06:50 AM
You should play the game however you want. But if you've already spent the money on it, I don't see why you wouldn't want to get the most out of it. Is there really any rush to plow through it? Unless you just want to move on, in that case just beat it.

Except lightning dodging that's never worth it. Never.

No.78
09-08-2006, 09:14 AM
It's wierd how some people find lightning dodging harder than the race... Maybe it's something to do with different ways of thinking...

ValiantKnight
09-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Well the race was moderately frustrating.. cause of the birds hitting me.

However the race has an much faster restart timer than the lightning would I imagine.

ie.. if you get to 50 bolts and have to start over(2-3minutes or more like 5-6?)... you've wasted alot more time than if you lost one race in the chocobo trainer course. (1minute~)

/shrug.

LunarWeaver
09-09-2006, 06:48 AM
I think the racing and lightning dodging hate/indifference comes down to which one you happened to get lucky at. I got lucky at racing and not so much with dodging lightning. I have frustration limits... and it's not high enough for both T_T

No.78
09-09-2006, 10:30 AM
I dodged 200 lightning bolts in less time than it took me to get 3.3 secs on the race... Meh

farplaner
09-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Geez. Neither of them are all that difficult. Tedious? Without a doubt, but not so difficult as many of you make it sound.

choco race: one of the five or six patterns of balloons that comes up allows you to get about five or six balloons before you turn the first corner, afterwards it's just a matter of coming at the balloons from angles that allow you to snatch them and also dodge the birds.

Lightening dodge: there is a place (a couple, actually- but one that I use) where the lightening strikes in a regular pattern, you can get Lulu's sigil in a matter of twenty minutes- if you don't decide to take a couple of breaks between.

Dodging the butterflies is not luck. The butterflies fly in a set pattern, back and forth. There are a couple of spots near the end of both dodges where it's a little tricky to see where the butterflies are in relation to the path, but once you try one or two spots, then by deduction the correct path must be that which you've not yet taken. Granted, you need to reach the trouble spot in roughly the same time in order to predict the position of the butterfly, but since the early part of the dodges are pretty easy that shouldn't be too difficult.

You're probably thinking by now, "surely he must be through blabbering" but no such luck! ...."blabber, blabber, blabber....etc., etc."

tidus_rox
09-10-2006, 07:59 PM
I dont even know where to go to get to the race... so where is it?

No.78
09-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Dodging the butterflies is not luck. The butterflies fly in a set pattern, back and forth. There are a couple of spots near the end of both dodges where it's a little tricky to see where the butterflies are in relation to the path, but once you try one or two spots, then by deduction the correct path must be that which you've not yet taken. Granted, you need to reach the trouble spot in roughly the same time in order to predict the position of the butterfly, but since the early part of the dodges are pretty easy that shouldn't be too difficult.

So that little part with like 4 butterflies together, I've tried many different ways of going through, running through the middle of the path, and each side... None of them work, Tidus always grabs a red one (the idiot)... Don't make sense ;_;

tidus_rox
09-10-2006, 08:42 PM
I dont even know where to go to get to the race... so where is it? Could someone help me here?

Nifleheim7
09-11-2006, 01:51 AM
I dont even know where to go to get to the race... so where is it? Could someone help me here?

If you mean the butterfly sidequest,it's in Macalania forest.

No.78
09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
The chocobo race is the last training task you can do with the chocobo trainer in the calm lands. She's all, in yellow clothes and looks really cold when it's probably really hot there anyway. You can't miss her, she's on a chocobo.

Seriously she's insaane... *punches her*

tidus_rox
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
haha... k thanks, ill do that soon, but is it really as hard as people make it out to be?

Tavrobel
09-11-2006, 11:42 PM
No, but it is as annoying, chock full of pure luck, and as incredibly boring as people make it out to be.