PDA

View Full Version : need help plz answer

Rogue
09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
im going to be a tarutaru DD and my main job is going to be a sam/drk but one thing i cant decide if i want to be a war or mnk plz answer:D

Fuego
09-03-2006, 11:11 PM
War is more tank oriented and monk i believe is more DD oriented :D

Rogue
09-03-2006, 11:17 PM
thank god someone answerd ok i guess monk it is

Fuego
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
:D

good luck :tongue:

Ouch!
09-03-2006, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't suggest a dark knight subjob, but whatever floats your boat.

As far as WAR or MNK, you'll end up leveling both. WAR is a good sub job for both SAM and DRK, so you'll want to have it for when you're leveling those. MNK is the basic sub job for WAR early on, so you'll have to level that as a sub for WAR at some point. On top of that, I'd suggest leveling THF as well, as THF is a sought-after sub for both SAM and DRK after a certain point.

Anyway, I'd lay off the DRK. About all it offers to a SAM is the attack bonus. Even as a tarutaru, the DRK sub's MP pool will be pretty pitiful, and the halved magic skills won't be strong enough to warrant use of spell casting. Sure, you get more STR, but a WAR takes care of that just fine while adding more useful job abilities. THF is also good for sneak attack/trick attack (SATA) past level 60, and even just SA past 30.

Rogue
09-04-2006, 01:04 AM
ummm yeah ok i dont understand i thought seeing a evil samurai with BLK MAGIC AND A BIG KATANA WOULD BE COOL

Del Murder
09-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Looking cool and being effective in the game are mutually exclusive sometimes. You're free to do what you want, but don't be surprised if you get lack of invites to parties and other players telling you what they think you should be doing instead.

Garn the Red
09-04-2006, 02:25 AM
The point of the game is to have fun. So do what you like, if anybody gives you trouble just blacklist em.

Rostum
09-04-2006, 02:40 AM
The point of the game is to have fun. So do what you like, if anybody gives you trouble just blacklist em.

And he'll get no where in the game. Great advice!

Also later on everyone pretty much use Warriors as a DD job, they're great in merit parties I hear.

Del Murder
09-04-2006, 03:39 AM
While you are correct, it is hard to advance and enjoy the game thouroughly without cooperating and interacting with other players. If your setup is undesireable to them, then there is no reason for them to play with you, and therefore your own enjoyment of the game will suffer.

It kind of sucks that some of the advance jobs don't make good subs. It would have been a lot cooler if there were more efficient combinations out there. I'm a pld and I get annoyed that /war is the only sub that can be used.

Fuego
09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Either way ... have fun with it ... i have been in pt's with some funky set ups and i don't think it will hinder you tooo much to be a little funky yourself and do something fresh :D

Ouch!
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
As others have said, looking cool and having fun is all good and dandy, but the majority of the FFXI player base won't give a SAM/DRK the time of day simply because there are more effective combinations. While the lack of freedom to experiment with subjobs is often disappointing, people want everyone to function in a party to the absolute best of their ability. That means having the subjob that best compliments your main job.

We're not joking when we say that you'll have trouble progressing in the game as a SAM/DRK. If you want to use fun subjobs, it's best to do it when you're playing solo. Otherwise, you won't get very far.