PDA

View Full Version : This Giant Tomato Plant I read about once

DeBlayde
09-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I saw a National Geographic about this Tomato plant that grew to about 30 feet tall and had really big fruit. It was grown entirely indoors in an office building in Japan, using piped in light which I think filtered out UV radiation, but I'm not sure about that. There were solar pickups on the roof of the building, and the light was piped in using fiber optics.

Has anybody heard of what I'm talking about and could tell me what the experiment was called or the developer of the thing was called? I'm asking because I'm looking at the possibility of developing semi-subterranean greenhouses for use in the Subarctic. I think the indirect sunlight up there would quite adversely affect the efficiency of the solar pickups, but if the energy could be aplified or stored in a battery system for when the sunlight isn't quite so long in the winters...

but like I say, it's an idea at this stage. The subterranean part would be to provide greater insulation to provide a longer growing season, and the solar pick up part is to save electricity costs. But I don't know how this guy managed this thing in Japan, it was about 8 years ago now, and it might not be possible. But that's why I'm asking so I can do some research on the subject.