PDA

View Full Version : Croc Hunter

ljkkjlcm9
09-04-2006, 02:03 PM
What was your favorite Croc Hunter moment.... Mine would have to be his Fed-Ex commercial

THE JACKEL

Raebus
09-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Yep, we heard about it in the other croc hunter thread.

Edit: Sneaky little bugger. Ahem, most of his moments really. He was hilarious.

Rocket Edge
09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Anything he did with snakes.

Rostum
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
I went and saw his show at his zoo and met him, that was my favourite moment! He was such a passionate guy, really loved what he did.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-04-2006, 02:23 PM
I think he caused a bit of controversy once when he brought his 5 year old daughter into the crocodile pen. Silly guy

Breine
09-04-2006, 02:32 PM
I think he caused a bit of controversy once when he brought his 5 year old daughter into the crocodile pen. Silly guy

As far as I remember she wasn't five, but still a baby...! Steve Irwin was truly a nutty, but loveable man... I was shocked to hear about his death.

LUKEJAKE17
09-04-2006, 02:55 PM
im a herpertologist (an expert on reptiles and amphibians basically) and ive always been a bit of a fan of steve but in recent times ive started to seriously disagree with some of his theories about reptiles but even then if you like wildlife,i had to say more good about him than bad because he protects enviroments for wildlife,so when i heared that this morning i thought it was really tragic

Elite Lord Sigma
09-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I've had this underlying feeling ever since I learned about Steve Irwin and who he is that he would eventually die in some way like this. I was surprised to hear about this, though.

Anyway, I always liked it when he talked about snakes.

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I liked it when he was almost killed by Graham the croc. Graham was one big m....meany and he grapped Steve's hand and dragged him into the water, but Steve just managed to get free. What an amazing guy. Dunno why the crocs thought they could kill him.

licence
09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
It was a shame, but you always knew it would end like that for him. Suprised it never happened sooner to be honest.

Flea
09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
As far as I remember she wasn't five, but still a baby...!
Also not a girl, but his 1 month old boy.

I was rather shocked when I read about it. I found it very hard to believe, considering all the other insane animal encounters he has had through his life.

stuffing
09-04-2006, 05:37 PM
In the end, a sting ray got the better of him. Cranky. He will be missed

daggertrepe
09-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I can't believe he just died...:(

Vincent, Thunder God
09-04-2006, 05:57 PM
I can't really remeber a specific favourite scene...I watched it years ago. I agree with those whyo say bringing his baby with him into a ring with a crocodile was really stupid. And yes, the child wasn't 5, it was almost a newborn.

I was really suprised to hear he just died! Wow!

Skyblade
09-04-2006, 06:11 PM
My favorite moment was his scene in Doctor Doolittle II. I loved all his shows, but that one just perfectly demonstrated his ability to laugh at himself, and that was one of the things I loved about that guy; he never took himself too seriously. I will miss him, he knew how to have fun, and he loved animals.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-04-2006, 06:31 PM
This was from a martial arts magazine called Grappling, back in November 2004...

Steve "Croc Hunter" Irwin - The Greatest Fight Ever

There are many grappling matches that deserve recognition. In the early days of vale tudo (anything goes) the original Gracie brother Carlos, Oswaldo, Gastao Jr, George and Helio - put their reputations on the line and fought men who outweighed them by over 100 pounds. Later generations followed in their footsteps including Carlson, Rolls, Rorion, Rickson, Royce, Royler and others. Although now uncommon in the States, you'll sometimes still see David vs Goliath matches overseas. The most significant recent recent contest was when Aussie Firebrand Tony "Gun" Bonello at 185lbs choked out legendary Dam "The Beast" Severn, at 275 lbs., in less than two minutes at XFC IV in Brisbane. Any of those matches deserve serious consideration for the greatest fight ever. But if weight difference and putting everythin on the line defines the importance of a fight, then my vote for the greatest battle goes out to Steve Irwin the world famous "Croc Hunter", for his match against a foe who weighed 1500 lbs. and was 15 feet long! What was on the line in this match? Only his best friend's life.

For those who don't know, Steve Irwin, owner of the top tourist attraction Down Under, the Australia Zoo on Sunshine Coast, is an avid submission grappler who trains several times a week with bodyguard Danny Higgins, a no-holds-barred fighter and submission grappler who has competed in Australia and in KOTC in America. "Steve's a natural grappler" says Danny. "Strong well-balanced, and very determined. Once he gets a grip on you he won't let go - a lot like a croc." Not only does Steve train but also wife Teri, an Americal from Oregon, and all his children. If you happen to bump into Steve or Teri at their amazing Australia Zoo, they will likely talk your ear off about grappling. "I love training without the gi" Steve says. "From wrestling crocs all my life, I got used to doing ubnderhooks, back mounts and leveraging my weight to keep 'em down. So when Danny introduced me to submission grappling it was an instant hit with me."

Several years ago, according to Danny, Steve was stalking a large croc with a crew which included his best friend. As they approached it, the monster suddenly burst out of the water, grabbed his friend's leg, nearly biting it in two, and dragged him into the water. "It all happened so fast I was in a state of shock," Steve's friend said afterwards. "My last thoughts were about my family, because I knoew they would soon be making my funeral plans." Steve Irwin however, had other plans.

As everyone froze in horror, Steve grabbed a paddle, smashed the blood-mad croc over the head making it temporarily release it's prey, and then leaped into the water, onto the back of the croc, and started grappling it! The croc began flipping and turning in a engraged feeding frenzy, trying to crush the mosquito on it's back who had dared challange the king of the swamp. But Steve held on. "Get him out! Get him out!" Steve screamed, putting in the leg hooks and wrapping his arms around the monster's neck. Only when the crew pulled the injured man out of the water did Steve release the monster and clamber to safety. The croc, not wanting any more of this crazy foe, swam off quickly. "Crikey!" Steve said, reaching down to tend to his friend's wounds. "That was a close one!" And just like that it was over.

Happily, the victim made a full recovery and a picture of his wound is on display outside of Steve and Teri's office. Steve, when pressed about Danny's descripyion of the incredible fight, is typically self-effacing. "Oh, I don't know it wa ssuch a big deal" says Steve. "When I'm wrestlin' crocs I don't really think about how big and poerful they are or how many teeth they got, I just think about how I'm going to enter, tie-up with 'em, and neutralize 'em. It's more instinct than anything else."
If you're in Australia make a special point of visiting the Australia Zoo on Sunshine Coast. It's worth a special trip Down Under all by itself. It's the cleanest, most well run zoo you'll ever see, the employees are friendlyto a fault, and it's owned by Steve and Teri, two grappling fanatics! And if you're lucky enought to run into Steve between expeditions, as he rides around the zoo on his moped with Teri on back, chatting with the visitors, you might just be lucky enough to here THE STORY firsthand. If you do, I'm sure you'll say the same thing I did when I first heard it - Crikey!

Lynx
09-04-2006, 11:24 PM
when steve and wes or wez not sure? when they went to clean out a crock cage after the wet season and the crock bit wez and steve jumped on it and wez climed to the top of the gate. and steve looked up and wez was ready to jump back in to help him even though his leg was full of holes. then steve let go and climed out of the cage.

bipper
09-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Remember when he dangled his baby in front of a hungry croc! Ha1 That was funny. :eep: