PDA

View Full Version : Oh Sony... *shakes head* (More bad news, especially for Euro)

JKTrix
09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/06/business/AS_FIN_COM_Japan_Sony_PlayStation.php

No PS3 for Europe until March (where it'll still be 425 EUR), and only 500,000 PS3s between the US and Japan at launch. US gets 400k, Japan gets 100k.

Roto13
09-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Sony, Sony, Sony, Sony, Sony... How many did they promise to have?

Reine
09-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Saw this coming a long long time ago.

Not that im getting a PS3 anyway...

Dignified Pauper
09-06-2006, 01:44 PM
i'm probably going to get a PS3 with the second launch of their systems, simply because the first is bound to have problems.

Flying Mullet
09-06-2006, 01:47 PM
i'm probably going to get a PS3 with the second launch of their systems, simply because the first is bound to have problems.
Yup yup. I never buy a system when it first launches. I can't justify spending all that money on a piece of hardware that is guaranteed to have a few minor bugs and/or glitches. I'd rather wait at least a year and buy a more refined product for less money.

bipper
09-06-2006, 02:00 PM

Me too; though I may buy one to donate to the local children's hospital or something, but not to keep for myself.

Nifleheim7
09-06-2006, 02:01 PM

Me too.
I bought my PS2 when it came out and after a year it started to have problems:mad:
I will wait for the PS3 as long as possible.

JKTrix
09-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Yup yup. I never buy a system when it first launches. I can't justify spending all that money on a piece of hardware that is guaranteed to have a few minor bugs and/or glitches, and no games to make it worth it. I'd rather wait at least a year and buy a more refined product for less money.

Fix'd.

I actually feel kind of sorry for Sony.

However, this delay just means that they'll still be making the glitchy launch system for a longer amount of time, which means we're waiting longer for a good, stable version to come. But I guess it's fine, because it'll be a while before there are proven games that are worth getting.

Mirage
09-06-2006, 02:12 PM
news make me lol.

Dignified Pauper
09-06-2006, 02:23 PM

Me too.
I bought my PS2 when it came out and after a year it started to have problems:mad:
I will wait for the PS3 as long as possible.

i bought my ps2 when it first came out and mine didn't have a single problem. luck i suppose.

The Devil Man
09-06-2006, 02:53 PM
The wisdom of Ken Kutaragi. A choice selection of quotes from the big man himself:

Ken Kutaragi can’t seem to shut up about the PS3. Not that it would be strange for Ken to talk PS3 being the mastermind behind the Playstation brand and all, it’s more the things that he says that seem to puzzle gamers everywhere. Ken Kutaragi feels he needs to further confuse us and has now made some interesting comments about the Cell processor. Before we get into that here are some classic Ken Kutaragi quotes.

“The PS3 is not a game machine “

“Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Shihan (Karate master), and Microsoft is still not a black belt. Just like with their operating systems, they might come out with something good around the third generation of their release.”

“I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect’s blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It’s the same as that.”

“Microsoft shoots for the moon. Sony shoots for the sun.”

"This time, Microsoft has stated clearly that it is going after PlayStation. However, they're going not after the PlayStation 3, but the PlayStation 2. They were looking at 2, and that's why Xbox 360 became like that."

“With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment.”

PS3 is “for consumers to think to themselves ‘I will work more hours to buy one’. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else.”

“The PS3 will instill discipline in our children and adults alike. Everyone will know discipline.”

“Microsoft is trailing behind us, but they are not a threat. They are good at improving [on products], but we will be advancing to the next level with revolutionary technology.”

“We’re not going to equip the PS3 with a HDD by default, because no matter how much capacity we put in it, it won’t be enough.”

Ken Kutaragi has now once again commented on how he views the launch of the PS3 and what the PS3 really is, though am starting to suspect that even Sony doesn’t know what the PS3 is about anymore. Speaking in an interview with Electronic Engineering Times Asia, Ken Kutaragi said of the PlayStation 3, “Though sold as a game console, what will in fact enter the home is a Cell-based computer.”

He continued, “The model image for the Cell-based network may be the Internet: servers around the world form one virtual 'computer,' and each PC accesses it. Application programs can no longer directly access the hardware; instead they will have to be written in high-level, object-oriented language. The Cell processor will completely change the concept of programming. I am sure that a technology revolution is about to occur, not only within Sony but throughout the digital consumer electronics industry.”

His most interesting comment was maybe this one “If processors of high performance and wide bandwidth like the Cell were linked together without sufficient security, a worldwide system crash could occur with one attack.”

The guy is a genius.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
“The PS3 is not a game machine “

I think that this stems from Sony wanting to classify the PS3 as a "PC" and not a "games machine". If Sony could do that, then they would have gained some nice tax breaks from the EU by selling a "PC" instead of a "games machine".

They failed.

Skyblade
09-06-2006, 03:35 PM

For example: A $600 price tag.

I too intend to wait for a later launch, when they finally get it through their thick heads that there are not going to make any money off the PS3 if the sell it for that much, because they won't sell enough. They'll make money from the games, not the machines. DVD makers figured out long ago that it's the DVDs that make the money, not the DVD players. It won't take Sony long to realize that they'll need to drop the price of the PS3 to stay competitive in the video gaming market.

Roto13
09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Yup yup. I never buy a system when it first launches. I can't justify spending all that money on a piece of hardware that is guaranteed to have a few minor bugs and/or glitches. I'd rather wait at least a year and buy a more refined product for less money.

Except Nintendo, which tends to put out top-quality consoles and handhelds from launch.

Yes, they like to release new versions of their handhelds, but the original models work well.

bipper
09-06-2006, 04:03 PM

Except Nintendo, which tends to put out top-quality consoles and handhelds from launch.

Yes, they like to release new versions of their handhelds, but the original models work well.

Ya'know, this is a very true and very understated fact about nintendo. way to be :D

Bip

Mirage
09-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I'll probably buy the Wii sometime, when it gets a decent amount of good games. Zelda doesn't really do the trick for me. Never has.

Elite Lord Sigma
09-06-2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157113.html?tag=latestnews;title;2

Also, apparently, the PS3 will not come with the HDMI cables needed to experience the best possible graphics that the machine can produce. You'll need to shell out an extra $40 to get them.

JKTrix
09-06-2006, 05:43 PM
You don't exactly need HDMI cables to 'experience the best possible graphics'.
It's really technical... but the Component cables currently used for HD have enough bandwidth to support 1080p resolutions. The problem is that most TVs with the component inputs don't expect to receive that kind of signal (some max out at 1080i, most max out at 720p, a few don't even get past 480p).

Also: http://www.angry-gamer.net/pmwiki.php/Feature/Dear_Sony_Its_Over

lol

Edit: Microsoft Europe responds.

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=24347

Ouch!

Yamaneko
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
You can do 1080p over component just fine. Now whether the hardware can push such high resolution textures onto the screen is another matter onto itself. I believe all PS3 launch games will only support up to 720p/1080i.

This news isn't surprising considering that Sony recently commented that they hadn't begun production on the PS3. One million units at launch would not have been feasible. Of course Europe gets screwed like always. Higher price, later launch day.

fantasyjunkie
09-06-2006, 08:49 PM
I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to give Microsoft and sony a serious run for their money. I doubt VERY seriously they will win the console wars but Microsoft and Sony still better watch out!

Yamaneko
09-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Nintendo will be number one in Japan.

Dreddz
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Good thing I got a 360, I think Sony need to review some serious issues, just when you thought Sony was going to redeem itself. Cant say im still not excited, but I wont be buying a PS3 till sometime late next year or early 08.

Madame Adequate
09-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Until recently, I was pretty confident that Sony would stay on top, but they need to have something really special if they want to remain top dogs of the console business for this generation. Really, I'll be getting one anyway, but when and how enthusiastically I will pursue this is heavily influenced by things like this.

Samuraid
09-07-2006, 02:38 AM
This is one of those times it seems the wisest choice to wait things out and see how the PS3 does before getting one. Unfortunately for Sony, a good part of the console gaming world may do just that.

Rostum
09-07-2006, 02:45 AM
One thing I'm not quite understanding completely: Why exactly do people need to get it when it first comes out? I mean, having it would be nice and all, but is it really that important? I can think of a million other things to spend my money on, and get more satisfaction.

I'd rather just wait for any sort of fixes, and see how well the system does. Hopefully by that time the price would be reduced and there will be actual games released, that I'd want for it.

=\

Madame Adequate
09-07-2006, 02:55 AM
You just answered your own question Omecle: There are games released that people want.

Roto13
09-07-2006, 02:56 AM
I should buy one just to sell on eBay.

Rostum
09-07-2006, 03:16 AM
You just answered your own question Omecle: There are games released that people want.

But does that necessarily justify buying such an expensive system so quickly, to play them? There are still pleanty of other games around for current systems, that are being developed. You could easily enough keep yourself occupied with those until prices start to drop down. (If they ever do)

Tidus Andronicus
09-07-2006, 04:37 AM
:bounce: :laugh:

Wow Sony... is there anything left about the PS3 that wasn't a Lie for hype?

Seriously... I think everything they told us at previous press conferences, they've had to withdrawl, because it was only a lie to try and build hype.

Sorry Sony, I wont be buying your 600$ lies.

Edit: I've recently gone back and watched the E3 for 05 and 06... and compared them and the more recent announcements... And I'm reminded of the PS2 launch, when people told me some of the things Sony lied about back then, and I kindof just shrugged it all off... but now... its even worse, in a laughable predictable way... -_- All that crap Sony feed people at E3'05, was taken back at 06... and then even more was stripped off that in the recent weeks... ... this isn't even funny anymore... $600 for That? its really not worth it anymore... Was all the hype just an excuse to charge to much?... whatever...

KentaRawr!
09-07-2006, 06:09 AM
http://andtheykeeppoundingyou.ytmnd.com/

o_O...

They really are giving us an oddly large amount of bad news. I hope they do okay. >.>

Zeromus_X
09-07-2006, 06:13 AM
Well, we kind of all knew this would happen.

Samuraid
09-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Well, some had an idea it would happen. Others didn't. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/member.php?u=20477) :rolleyes2

fantasyjunkie
09-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Well in the Sony camp I guess you can say "When it rains, it pours"

Madame Adequate
09-07-2006, 12:34 PM

But does that necessarily justify buying such an expensive system so quickly, to play them? There are still pleanty of other games around for current systems, that are being developed. You could easily enough keep yourself occupied with those until prices start to drop down. (If they ever do)

But by that logic, why ever buy a new system? There are thousands of games on currents systems most of us haven't played, nevermind completed.

Rostum
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM

But by that logic, why ever buy a new system? There are thousands of games on currents systems most of us haven't played, nevermind completed.

I never said 'why ever buy a new system'. I'm talking about 'why by a system as soon as it comes out, when it's at a fairly high price'. As in, why be so desperate to have one of the first of the systems...

Edit: Just to elaborate, I was talking about keeping yourself occupied with current games until prices drop or until they fix bugs in the new system.

JKTrix
09-07-2006, 02:12 PM
The general consumer doesn't see it that way. The general consumer doesn't have all the 'in depth' knowledge that people like us would have, knowing about the potential defects of early adoption.

All they see is the shiny new thing, accompanied by the usual Sony hype and marketing. The general consumer is a gullible target, and people with such a trusted brand like 'Playstation' can easily siphon money from them.

Then, you have the 'gotta have it' sub-group, who have too much money to spend and must have the latest and greatest in everything. These are the people who make these systems sell out on launch day, who Sony was guaranteed to have buy their console no matter how many they brought out. Even if they had a million consoles on the first day, they would all be sold immediately.

Markus. D
09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
well... I guess I better get my hands on it instantaniously.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2006, 02:40 PM
I never said 'why ever buy a new system'. I'm talking about 'why by a system as soon as it comes out, when it's at a fairly high price'. As in, why be so desperate to have one of the first of the systems...

Edit: Just to elaborate, I was talking about keeping yourself occupied with current games until prices drop or until they fix bugs in the new system.

Well for one 'a fairly high price' is relative. Yes, it's a lot of money to me. It's not a lot of money for someone earning 100k a year.

bipper
09-07-2006, 02:57 PM
The general consumer doesn't see it that way. The general consumer doesn't have all the 'in depth' knowledge that people like us would have, knowing about the potential defects of early adoption.

All they see is the shiny new thing, accompanied by the usual Sony hype and marketing. The general consumer is a gullible target, and people with such a trusted brand like 'Playstation' can easily siphon money from them.

Then, you have the 'gotta have it' sub-group, who have too much money to spend and must have the latest and greatest in everything. These are the people who make these systems sell out on launch day, who Sony was guaranteed to have buy their console no matter how many they brought out. Even if they had a million consoles on the first day, they would all be sold immediately.

I completely agree. Unless a big stank is made about it, no real consumer will know these things. In fact, some nerd at Circut City will be making commision selling the aditional 1080 cable with the damn machine; even though there will not be any game immediately available that require the cable.

Media will only give it bad press, if they feel it is an issue that will earn them credit and/or money; and that is when compared to what damages could be caused when going agianst a giant like sony could cause, relations wise.

bipper

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-07-2006, 08:00 PM
next thing you know it wont be region free

Dreddz
09-07-2006, 08:03 PM
next thing you know it wont be region free

Actually, enabling region locks is more work for Sony, I'd doubt they'd announce that the PS3 wont be region free.

JKTrix
09-08-2006, 02:52 AM
The PS3 isn't region free. Asia and the US are going to be in the same 'Game Region', while Europe is still separate. US and Asia both use NTSC type TVs while Europe is still PAL.

I'm not sure if the PS3 will actually be locked down so that PAL PS3s can't take NTSC games, but it sure would confuse the system if there wasn't some kind of system in place so that it knows to re-translate the data appropriately.

ljkkjlcm9
09-08-2006, 03:19 AM
You don't seem to realize most of the people that buy the system right away, are the ones that know about it. Then you have the idiots that think they're cool for getting it right away, and personally, they deserve a faulty system. I'll stick with Nintendo anyways

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
09-08-2006, 03:24 AM
The PS3 isn't region free. Asia and the US are going to be in the same 'Game Region', while Europe is still separate. US and Asia both use NTSC type TVs while Europe is still PAL.

I'm not sure if the PS3 will actually be locked down so that PAL PS3s can't take NTSC games, but it sure would confuse the system if there wasn't some kind of system in place so that it knows to re-translate the data appropriately.

I don't know anybody in this country who doesn't own an NTSC-capable TV. My own TV is nearly 15 years old and can display NTSC. And Sony have explicity stated that there will be no region coding for games (Though it will exist for movies) on the PS3.