PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever cosplayed?

Flying Mullet
09-06-2006, 01:25 PM
I was looking at some really bad cosplay outfits online earlier and I started wondering if any of my fellow EoFF'ers could be the painted freak on my computer monitor. So have any of you ever cosplayed? Or how about dressed up cosplay-style for halloween? Or maybe you sleep in a Sephiroth costume...

Resha
09-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes to cosplay. Yes to Halloween. My friend's a maniac and she made me. However, we didn't go as FF characters or anything. >_< No, we dressed up as porcelain dolls etc.

Flying Mullet
09-06-2006, 01:48 PM
...we dressed up as porcelain dolls etc.
Did you sit against the wall and creep everyone out by having a vacant, soulless stare?

Resha
09-06-2006, 01:50 PM
...we dressed up as porcelain dolls etc.
Did you sit against the wall and creep everyone out by having a vacant, soulless stare?
YES! That is precisely what we did. Although the wooden puppet and the rag doll were rigid and limp respectively.

Craig
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I tried to dress up as Sub Zero for Halloween years ago.

Captain Maxx Power
09-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I've never cosplayed, though I am toying with the idea of getting a full Pirate Red Mage garb to wear on Halloween, explaining to everyone exactly what I am.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Probably when I was a small child, but I never used to like the idea of wearing strange clothes or having my face painted for the fun of it

Breine
09-06-2006, 02:57 PM
No I haven't - but I dressed up like one of the Power Rangers once for Halloween a long time ago if that counts? :cool:

bipper
09-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I dressed up like squall once for halloween. I gotta stop making bets on the VIKINGS [NFL].

Shaun
09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't dream of it. Talk about ways to lower my self-esteem even further! It must be pretty depressing.

Levian
09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I dressed up like Devil from Tekken 2 for christmas like 10 years ago, but all I did was putting blue paint in my face. I looked more like the planet Neptune or something. I think that one is blue.

Christmas
09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
My pig cosplay as LITTLE MANUS once and he committed sucide after that, the trauma is too much for him. :(

But we all had pork chop that day. :bigsmile:

themagicroundabout
09-06-2006, 05:07 PM
I haven't cosplayed yet, but I am going to save my pennies for a Gimli costume I saw the other day. It comes complete with beard and axe!

Avarice-ness
09-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, EVERYONE'S MAKING CRUDDY COSTUMES NOW! It's angering, 'cause all these people are making like 2 or 3 costumes per con, so the quality and look of all of them -SUCK REALLY BAD-
All the new Rydia cosplayers suck really bad, and that hurts, 'cause the Rydia cosplayers always had that special 'I designed this but it still looks like Rydia' look to them and now it's all 'I GRABBED GREEN FABRIC AND TIED IT AROUND MY WAIST AND GOT A GREEN WIG AND STUFFED A RED FLOWER IN IT, I'M COOL.' look. =[

I've cosplayed but never and all and out cosplay. I'll be doing so next year in June as Rydia. Bring back the glory that the idiots lost. >=O
[/RANT]

Besides the fact everyone's ruining her look, Rydia's always had my favorite design that I can mess with. :razz:

I wouldn't dream of it. Talk about ways to lower my self-esteem even further! It must be pretty depressing.

Not really a self-esteem lower-er when you're the one that makes the costume, more so 'I-have-yet-another-artistic-skill-I-can-do-well' upper. But if you end up getting someone to make it, that's retarded. Learn to do clothing design and sew something.. Jeez.

I dressed up like Devil from Tekken 2 for christmas like 10 years ago, but all I did was putting blue paint in my face. I looked more like the planet Neptune or something. I think that one is blue.

BRING BACK PLUTO! ; ;

licence
09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Never have, never will.

Yooniece
09-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Unless you consider my idolatry of BoA and Sienna Miller (and subsequent absorption of both their styles into my daily wardrobe/hair/accessories... etc) cosplay... then no.

I do not look like any characters (mostly from FF games) that I would like to cosplay. -________-

fire_of_avalon
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I dress up like moogles everyday and eat Kupo Nuts for breakfast and lunch. But not supper, at supper I have steaks.

LunarWeaver
09-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I get naked and tell people I'm cosplaying Fei from the end of Xenogears.

Roto13
09-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Not really cosplay. Just halloween. And if anyone can find that Tingle cosplay that was in EGM a few times, they get hugs and tugs.

mooglebunni608
09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Not yet. But I'm trying to get to otakon next year, and I've got a ton of ideas for then ^////^

Giga Guess
09-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Dear. Lord. No.

Auragaea
09-07-2006, 01:34 AM

I agree. Can you imagine the hordes of people that would make fun of you if you cosplayed? Even I make fun of people that cosplay and I'm not really a mean person. What really irks me is when a fat person tries to cosplay as someone skinny or vice versa (rarely vice versa).

Zeromus_X
09-07-2006, 01:38 AM
I did dress up as Shen from the original Dragonball once, but I dress like him normally every day...

But no, I haven't really cosplayed. I guess it could be fun, as long as you don't go all obsessive and are all 'in-character' mode. It doesn't have to be a big deal...:cat: There are some wonderful cosplays I've seen, and not just as Rydia*.

*Shaaaads!

stuffing
09-07-2006, 01:40 AM
haha, are you kidding me?

Sylvie
09-07-2006, 01:46 AM

I agree. Can you imagine the hordes of people that would make fun of you if you cosplayed? Even I make fun of people that cosplay and I'm not really a mean person. What really irks me is when a fat person tries to cosplay as someone skinny or vice versa (rarely vice versa).

I once saw some people do a Samurai Champloo cosplay... oh god. A man was playing as Fuu, a girl (I think) was playing as Mugen (and it looked nothing like him, as they were quite fat and Mugen is very skinny), and I think a girl did Jin. It was horrible. >_<

Auragaea
09-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I know what you mean. At my school, there's this fat girl who loves to cosplay as Kenshin and let me tell you, I laughed at her behind her back SO hard, that people thought I was having a serious asthma attack (my laugh sounds very wheezy).

Zeromus_X
09-07-2006, 02:06 AM
And I'm sure all of you are at tip-top physical condition yourselves? :cat:

Sylvie
09-07-2006, 02:10 AM
And I'm sure all of you are at tip-top physical condition yourselves? :cat:

Not really. I'm underweight, but I can see if people were making fun of me if I was cosplaying, too.

nik0tine
09-07-2006, 02:11 AM
I dressed up as Zell for halloween when I was in 5th grade. I've never done anything that lame before or after.

Roto13
09-07-2006, 02:31 AM
It's not really bad for Halloween. My friend dressed up as Zell in Grade 12. Then again, he looked a lot like Zell...

He bleached his hair and it started to fall out later. Awesome.

FallenAngel411
09-07-2006, 02:36 AM
I cosplay as Neo everyday. It comes with being emo and all.

Moon Rabbits
09-07-2006, 03:12 AM
Cosplaying to Anime North this year~

I do it mostly because making the costumes is fun as hell. Last year my friend went as Wolfwood, she made his cross out of six pizza boxes, a sheet, and a strip of black fabric. It was excellent.

Sure, there are some people who are eyesores (ie. fat Kuja's :(!), but some of the costumes are really neat.

But, once again, the best part of cosplaying is making the costume in the first place. :greenie:

Decessus
09-07-2006, 03:24 AM
This is why I will never talk to you guys in person.

Avarice-ness
09-07-2006, 04:03 AM
I did dress up as Shen from the original Dragonball once, but I dress like him normally every day...

But no, I haven't really cosplayed. I guess it could be fun, as long as you don't go all obsessive and are all 'in-character' mode. It doesn't have to be a big deal...:cat: There are some wonderful cosplays I've seen, and not just as Rydia*.

*Shaaaads!

I didn't mean it as only Rydia's had great cosplays. xD They've just been my favorite that's all. Normally I like the one's where the person who designs the clothes has more freedom. Normally Rydia and Terra costumes are my favorite, because they all have something different about them but they all look apparently like the chara. <3. I might do Terra on a later date, but I -really- want to make a Rydia costume. :razz:

Miriel
09-07-2006, 04:16 AM
Nevah!

Although I did put on a Mandragora hat once. That was silly of me.

Dynast-Kid
09-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Dear. Lord. No.

Me too.

QFT.

Shlup
09-07-2006, 04:45 AM
A few years ago my husband and I were Jack and Sally. We were hot.

Jojee
09-07-2006, 05:48 AM
I would if I looked like anyone, but I'm special 8-) Also, I don't know how to make crap.

Marluxiaswife
09-07-2006, 05:57 AM
this halloween i'm going to be songstress yuna :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-07-2006, 06:10 AM
My sister made a rather good Flonne (Disgaea) costume and wore it at Sakura Con two years in a row. She's making a Marona (Phantom Brave) costume for this coming con. I'd be willing to cosplay, for a convention of course, but I'm too lazy and cheap to get a costume. And if I were to, it wouldn't be half-assed.

And seriously, I don't know why there's so much negative attitudes against cosplay. It's something people enjoy doing and it doesn't hurt anyone else (except in specific cases: see Man Faye. My eyes! They burn!). Obviously some people probably don't have the body to do it, but hey, if they made the costume themselves more power to them. Some of the costumes are very elaborate and take a lot of skill, and I find it sad that someone would deride them for being able to do such a thing.

Zeromus_X
09-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Dear. Lord. No.

Me too.

QFT.

You guys seem to be forgetting you're all on a Final Fantasy discussion forum. This is almost as bad as the supposedly perfect figured people making fun of someone who's overweight.

*Shaaaads!

I didn't mean it as only Rydia's had great cosplays. xD They've just been my favorite that's all. Normally I like the one's where the person who designs the clothes has more freedom. Normally Rydia and Terra costumes are my favorite, because they all have something different about them but they all look apparently like the chara. <3. I might do Terra on a later date, but I -really- want to make a Rydia costume. :razz:

Do a Celes! :cat:

LunarWeaver
09-07-2006, 06:14 AM
except in specific cases: see Man Faye. My eyes! They burn!

Yes...Man Faye is.... unique :Oo:

XxSephirothxX
09-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Cosplaying is the kind of thing I don't want to object to, because, hey, if it's what makes you happy, then by all means, you should do it. That's how society says I should feel, anyway.

I went to Dragoncon last weekend. The first few minutes I was inside I had a sickening sensation I don't get very often. I felt ashamed that I was part of the human race. Frankly, I think a lot of the people who cosplay are pathetic. If you have the body, the general appearance, and the quality costume, it works for you. But the number of disgusting fanatics poorly dressed as their favorite fantasy/anime/whatever character was pretty off-putting.

So yeah, some people think it's fun, but it's just not the kind of thing I could ever, ever get into.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Cosplaying is the kind of thing I don't want to object to, because, hey, if it's what makes you happy, then by all means, you should do it. That's how society says I should feel, anyway.

I went to Dragoncon last weekend. The first few minutes I was inside I had a sickening sensation I don't get very often. I felt ashamed that I was part of the human race. Frankly, I think a lot of the people who cosplay are pathetic. If you have the body, the general appearance, and the quality costume, it works for you. But the number of disgusting fanatics poorly dressed as their favorite fantasy/anime/whatever character was pretty off-putting.

So yeah, some people think it's fun, but it's just not the kind of thing I could ever, ever get into.

I've never been to a more general con, but the convention I go to always has some really good cosplay. There are the bad ones, of course, but the good-to-bad ratio is exceedingly high. I guess some cons just don't get good cosplay. I've heard more comic book/D&D oriented ones are like that, but I can't say for sure as I've never been to one.

And it's really not everyone's thing, which is easily understandable. I just wish people wouldn't just blow off and deride the people who do so easily.

Avarice-ness
09-07-2006, 06:19 AM
My sister made a rather good Flonne (Disgaea) costume and wore it at Sakura Con two years in a row. She's making a Marona (Phantom Brave) costume for this coming con. I'd be willing to cosplay, for a convention of course, but I'm too lazy and cheap to get a costume. And if I were to, it wouldn't be half-assed.

And seriously, I don't know why there's so much negative attitudes against cosplay. It's something people enjoy doing and it doesn't hurt anyone else (except in specific cases: see Man Faye. My eyes! They burn!). Obviously some people probably don't have the body to do it, but hey, if they made the costume themselves more power to them. Some of the costumes are very elaborate and take a lot of skill, and I find it sad that someone would deride them for being able to do such a thing.

I think that even if you don't have the body it shouldn't matter to an extent, most people that go to the cons don't bash people because they're larger because it's respected. There are some though that do have the good bodies that show it off well.

And then there's...
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/392967.jpg

Man Faye

If I do a Celes I'd do sprite version, I've seen some -beautiful- costumes based off the sprite that almost puts amano's costume design to shame. I like details and saddly Amano's isn't that detailed, you can have the Detail with Terra, but if you want Detailed Celes you'd go sprite version. <3

Raven Nox
09-07-2006, 06:23 AM
I'd like to cosplay one day actually. I might go as a White Mage for Halloween though. xD I'd love to make a Rozalin from Disgaea 2 costume, because I just love her dress, but don't think I'd be able to pull it off. xD I don't get why people hate it so much either, it's just a person wearing a costume. There are some bad ones, but I don't think that's a reason to hate it as a whole.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-07-2006, 06:25 AM
I'd like to cosplay one day actually. I don't get why people hate it so much either, it's just a person wearing a costume. I might go as a White Mage for Halloween though. xD I'd love to make a Rozalin from Disgaea 2 costume, because I just love her dress, but don't think I'd be able to pull it off. xD

Disgaea cosplay makes me happy. Thus, you make me happy :love:

We ran into an Etna and a Mid-Boss at Sakura Con this year. They loved Starlight's costume, as she loved theirs. They were all pretty well loved.

Starlight got a lot of "ANGEL TRAINEE FLONNE! I LOVE YOU!" (or something akin to that) screamed across the convention center.

Araciel
09-07-2006, 06:27 AM
never done it...never will

Raven Nox
09-07-2006, 06:32 AM

We ran into an Etna and a Mid-Boss at Sakura Con this year. They loved Starlight's costume, as she loved theirs. They were all pretty well loved.

Starlight got a lot of "ANGEL TRAINEE FLONNE! I LOVE YOU!" (or something akin to that) screamed across the convention center.

And I'd be one of those people screaming if I was there. I adore Flonne, she's so adorable. xD Actually, I would love a Flonne costume as well, but I know for a fact that I'd never do Etna though. xD I just couldn't make her work.

And Mid-Boss cosplay? I love this guy already! Now we just need Laharl. <3

I really need to go to a convention of of these days, if only to jump all the people cosplaying my favorite characters.

Zeromus_X
09-07-2006, 06:36 AM
If I do a Celes I'd do sprite version, I've seen some -beautiful- costumes based off the sprite that almost puts amano's costume design to shame. I like details and saddly Amano's isn't that detailed, you can have the Detail with Terra, but if you want Detailed Celes you'd go sprite version. <3

I'd have to agree with that.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-07-2006, 06:37 AM

And I'd be one of those people screaming if I was there. I adore Flonne, she's so adorable. xD Actually, I would love a Flonne costume as well, but I know for a fact that I'd never do Etna though. xD I just couldn't make her work.

And Mid-Boss cosplay? I love this guy already! Now we just need Laharl. <3

I really need to go to a convention of of these days, if only to jump all the people cosplaying my favorite characters.

Laharl is hard to pull off because he's just that awesome.

And because of the whole lack of shirt thing.

But yes, I think a lot of the bigger conventions tend to get the better cosplayers. Anime conventions, in particular, seem to pull in a lot more, because Anime is increasingly popular amongst men and women, whereas other traditional "geek" activities have long been considered more guy things. Also, anime in general tends to have a lot of slim, effeminate male roles, which a girls generally cosplay a LOT better than guys do. I've never seen a good male Kenshin cosplayer, for example, but I've seen many good female Kenshin cosplayers.

Raven Nox
09-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Sadly, it's true. But I'm sure someone could pull it off... maybe. Perhaps. Possibly? :(

I would think guys would have an easier time cosplaying Kenshin than some of the other popular male characters, but I guess not. I haven't see very much Kenshin cosplay though, so yeah. xD I've seen a bit of InuYasha ones though, and I haven't really seen any good male cosplays of him yet. But, I like the fact that they tried, as long as they had fun making the costume.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-07-2006, 07:02 AM
Actually wait, I take it back. I have seen a few good male Kenshin cosplay. They were all Samurai X Kenshin though.

He's less effeminate in the Samurai X era. But there are some really hard ones for guys to pull off, Kenshin definitely being one of them.

As far as Inuyasha goes though, I've seen very little good Inuyasha cosplay. Reflective of the series, I'd say :)

NorthernChaosGod
09-07-2006, 07:32 AM
No, never.

Jowy
09-07-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm cosplaying as something this year for Otakon. I'm probably just going to cop out and go as the Prince of Falena from Suikoden V.

ValkyrieWing
09-07-2006, 07:58 AM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=258458

Go ahead and laugh. T_T

I WANNA DO SUIKODEN COSPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look like Apple. :P

fantasyjunkie
09-07-2006, 08:02 AM
I dressed up as a Star Trek officer. Had the hair greased down 60's style and everything. It actually looked pretty good.

Samuraid
09-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Cosplay? Nope, I never have.

Many people do a pretty terrible job at it anyway. But there are a few that capture the character well.

NorthernChaosGod
09-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Fucking wow man. She was hot Samuraid.

boris no no
09-07-2006, 11:01 AM
I have cosplayed... but very badly xD
My skills of making things completly suck!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/boris_no_no/meandwillys.jpg
I'm supposed to be a 'Tenticle rape monster'
I completly suck at it x__X

I'm gonna try again though, I wanna go down to London Expo cosplayed... but good!

Markus. D
09-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I have :D

its awesome fun looking at all of your friends dressed as there faveorite cartoon/game/cult animation characters.

and there looking at you and laughing inside there heads, just like you are towards them n_n-b

kissgirls
09-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I found a Yuna cosplayer :D
*that's Kadajwife* :D

Laugh at face of Danger
09-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I wonder how badly i'd be paddled if i said yes? Well yeah, i do, i think its uber fun! Everyone should try it before knocking it, honestly.

Do you know how fun it is smiting someone with a sword and it actually hurting them? Real blood?! Nothing's better :D

It's a way of appreciating the characters i love, by immitating them so other people can smile. It all started when i went to my first expo... dressed as a cat! It was fun and i got into it... *spins out life story*

The best bit is having the praise i suppose (if it's good) and the attention, plus i love making stuff so it's just a way to get constructively creative!

Anyways, time for me to hibernate from the fanbois and grls *brings up huge shield* now throw your best at me!

Oh yeah... and i'm actually toning my body for my damn cosplay, i'm bleaching and bleaching my hair, doing a work out every day, it's a tough life being a cosplayer! That and you get the narrow minded people knock it, real bad, AS IF THE TRAIN JOURNEY WASN'T BAD ENOUGH!1!!1

Zeldy
09-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I put feathers in my hair one day. Thats as FAR as Ive gone. It was like 2 years ago, though xD and I always remember walking round school hearing "..Has she got FEATHERS in her hair? O_O"

Zero the Hero
09-08-2006, 09:31 PM
COSPLAY RAWKS!!!! imitation is the greatest form of flattery and every one should have a go its a great way too meet new people and make friends that you know like the same things as you. it always a one off thing i mean i don't go out at the weekend dressed like sephiroth i just do it at expos to become part of the whole show its great to show off what i can do with a hot glue gun and a sewing machine. for a couple of days a year you can be the sword slinging world saving hero you know you are inside.

cosplay makes sense!!!!

exit60b
09-08-2006, 09:34 PM
I remember prior to the Kawaii-Kon anime convention we had this year I was planning on cosplaying... until my boyfriend at the time said something about how people shouldnt cosplay something they look nothing like... because he wouldnt like to see a "fat Rikku" walking around with her belly sticking out....

I think I might next year if I happen to go. As Tifa.

Alive-Cat
09-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Yes, I have. Usually as Tifa or Aeris. But sometimes Yuffie, too.

Shlup
09-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Man Faye is on The Tonight Show at "Who Wants to be a Super Hero?" dancing around. And I laff.

Loony BoB
09-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Whatever Rye says, it's not true.

...sadly. :(

Khaotic
09-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Never, and I don't play on trying.

bipper
09-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Only with you and black leather, big guy.