PDA

View Full Version : If the system and the random encounters weren't annoying...

Peter_20
09-06-2006, 02:45 PM
How good would this game be if we assume that the system were more user-friendly (e.g. ability to use Cure1 at LV16), and the random encounters not as annoying?

DJZen
09-06-2006, 08:15 PM
How fun is any game when you use a gameshark to max out your stats and disable random encounters?

Sefie1999AD
09-06-2006, 08:52 PM
I think the DoS version was a lot more user-friendly than other versions of FFII, and I also think FFII DoS was more enjoyable in terms of gameplay than the other FFII versions.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Random encounters and inability to use Cure 1 at level 16 are something I can put up with. What bugs me the most is the amount of time you have to spend levelling up your magic particularly the ones you can't use in the menu

Peter_20
09-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Random encounters and inability to use Cure 1 at level 16 are something I can put up with. What bugs me the most is the amount of time you have to spend levelling up your magic particularly the ones you can't use in the menuActually, this is the only magic you'll ever need:

CURE
LIFE
HEAL
EXIT
FIRE
ICE
BOLT
AERO

And these ones are nice too:

SAFE
SHEL
BSRK
HAST
FLAR
HOLY
ULTM

The rest is worthless. :rolleyes2

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I disagree, bolt, ice and fire are useless at Level 1. If you are referring to when they are at level 16 then that is exactly my point. It takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to level it up. I managed to complete the game with everything under level 5 apart from Cure

Sefie1999AD
09-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Peter_20: Ultima is pretty much useless, it will do very low damage unless it's the DoS version and you've leveled up really much. Even then, I think Holy and Flare will do a lot more damage even on lower levels. As for your spell list, you forgot Blink (good defence together with Safe and Shell), Curse (greatly reduces the enemy's attack and defence) and Toad (instant kill if it hits). For leveling up purposes, Anti/Sap is a good spell for increasing your max MP (cast it on your own characters to drain their MP), and if you feel like it, Change can also be useful.

DJZen
09-09-2006, 02:38 AM
You really don't need Berserk AND Haste. It does intensify your damage a lot, but you can get by just fine only using the one.

DarkLadyNyara
09-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Random encounters and inability to use Cure 1 at level 16 are something I can put up with. What bugs me the most is the amount of time you have to spend levelling up your magic particularly the ones you can't use in the menu

If you use magic in battle regularly, it will be as high as you need it. One mistake people make is assuming magic has to be at really high levels to be effective. No spell needs to be at level 16. That's just overkill. (Exept cure, maybe)

Peter_20: Ultima is pretty much useless, it will do very low damage unless it's the DoS version and you've leveled up really much. Even then, I think Holy and Flare will do a lot more damage even on lower levels.
Ultima is only really powerful if you start preparing from the beginning of the game, and if you do that, it becomes superfluous. :rolleyes2

Peter_20
09-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I disagree, bolt, ice and fire are useless at Level 1.Yeah, at LV1 they all suck with a huge passion, but FIRE, ICE and AERO *are* very useful against those damn Gigas dudes. :D

Sefie1999AD
09-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Yes, the elemental spells are great against Gigases and the Flan monsters. If you haven't leveled up your spells against the Gigases, it will be harder since you'll either need to use spell books themselves to cause damage or hope that your weapons will do critical hits and hurt the Gigases (I actually did the latter on the NES version).

Melkor_
09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
ff2 was a good game

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
speaking of which, how does equipping a spell book actually aid you in a fight?

Peter_20
09-12-2006, 07:39 PM
speaking of which, how does equipping a spell book actually aid you in a fight?Spell Scrolls work as spells when used as items; a Fire Scroll will launch FIRE 8 on all enemies. :choc2:

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-12-2006, 08:32 PM
and can this be done infintely many times?

Sefie1999AD
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
No, I think using a spell book to cast a spell breaks the book, so it can't be used again. So if you want to use spell books to cast a spell more than once, you'll need to buy several spell books.

Peter_20
09-13-2006, 05:56 AM
No, I think using a spell book to cast a spell breaks the book, so it can't be used again. So if you want to use spell books to cast a spell more than once, you'll need to buy several spell books.Actually, being able to cast Spell Scrolls infinitely many times would be way too easy.

Jowy
09-21-2006, 11:48 PM
I really enjoyed FF2. It was something completely different from most conventional RPGs.

Bolivar
09-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Every system in FF has its flaws, some more than others. I think II's is very interesting though, because as far as magic is concerned, you can really customize a caster.