PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VIII remake Yes or No

xezero
09-06-2006, 03:31 PM
heey guys i finished the game yesterday and it got me thinking, I mean it's now 2006 it was released in 1999....
So i was like WoooT that was a good game i didnt even care that the grafx were a bit crappy during play dont get me wrong I loved moviebreaks.
Even worse it almost broke my heart wenn i realisted that the game was truely over.
So i was like, this is without a doubt the best game i have ever played the story was just so strong ya know... (hahaha raijen is inside my head again) :p.
why the hell dont those retards of the Squaresoft co make a remake with better grafx and make a Final fantasy 8 online mode, I can picture it already ow yumy yumy yumy the sorceres knights Vs the gardens Seeds.

What is your oppinion on this matter ?

aquatius
09-06-2006, 05:47 PM
NO NO NO

DfKimera
09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
No online mode, maybe yes, but hell yeah for a remake

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-06-2006, 07:04 PM
No it does not need a remake itīs good as it is except for the part of Rinoa not getting killed.

A final fantasy 8 remake would ruin everything. Itīs time to think of the future FF games and let the older ones stay exacly how they are.

RoxasLeonhart
09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Heck hey for a remake of FF8 cause it is my favorite 1 and i would live to see it in ps3 graphics.

boys from the dwarf
09-06-2006, 08:51 PM
no remake. or at least not yet. because if FF eventually gets up to FFXX it will be over 20 years before FF1 and there will be no consoles that play the original so they need a remake. eventually FF8 may need a remake because new FF8 want it but cant get it. but it would probably ruin it if they just remadeit for the sake of things.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't want them to make a remake, however if they did I would still go out and purchase it. I would like to see them make another game with the FFVIII battle system and possibly involve the original games basic concepts like Garden and SeeD

licence
09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I agree with mobiletype. If they used the same concept of Garden and SeeD though, I would want new playable characters, you know maybe set it when Squall and co have retired or something. Even then it might be good for missions to be received from Squall as he is leader. I just wouldn't want to play as them because it might change my entire opinion on the characters that I love.

Enyu
09-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I sometimes think about the same thing whenever I play the game. FFX-like graphics would be good, except without the voices.

Remaking the story would be good to. I've even got my own version of the story that I rewrote. I changed a lot of stuff and added some more detail to the world, made it a little darker and more realistic.

A FF8 novel wouldn't be bad either.

Rocket Edge
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
It's hard to say. FF8 was by far my favourite FF & game overall. I think they should make a remake, but only years down the line when it's you can't play FF8 on your console any more and remake's are inevidable. As long as they kept it the exact same (but with better graphic's) then i would be happy.

Xurts
09-07-2006, 01:40 AM
NO NO NO
^^^

FF8 does not need a remake. It's perfectly fine the way it is. It's the classic FFs where a remake would be nice.

Zeromus_X
09-07-2006, 01:43 AM
I'd rather wait so that it can age a bit more before being remade, of course, I wouldn't disagree to a remake being made.

LunarWeaver
09-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I guess I'd rather have a remake then not have it. If you don't like it, just don't buy it and play the original. It wouldn't be a big deal to me if they remade any of the playstation era games, even if it is a bit soon.

nik0tine
09-07-2006, 03:00 AM
In 5 years, maybe.

Sephex
09-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Maybe a long time from now...but an online mode would be horrible. Why does EVERY gamer want EVERY game online these days? It doesn't add much to gaming in most cases.

DfKimera
09-07-2006, 04:22 AM
You guys are confusing remake with sequel/prequel/enquel. Remake is the same game, the same plot, the same battle system, on new graphics and remastered soundtrack.

Hell, anyone would want to see their favorite game more pretty and all... Imagine, instead of having kickass 3D stuff on the FMVs only, the entire game will look like the FMVs!

IceAngel
09-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Yay! to that.

No added bits. Just graphics and remastered sounds. No voices. Awesome :)

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Oh Puh-lease! Why does this game even need consideration for a remake? If anything this is the game that needed a sequel. ;)

NmEnforcer
09-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I agree that FF8 was a great game. In fact, it is my favorite of the Final Fantasy's. I don't really think that they should be making remakes of any of the FF's though. Don't get me wrong, Advent Children was an amazing movie and the game Dirge of Cerberus looks pretty sweet, but I thought originally Square vowed never to remake a game (obviously the fans of FF7 were begging at the time). Looks like SquareEnix just took it to the bank. I have not really been impressed with much they have done except Kingdom Hearts, and that game isn't great because it battle/level system. I mean, come on.....they did FF9, *shudder*.

I agree with the earlier poster, stop looking at stuff from the past you can repackage for a quick buck and make something new and original. And do a good job because I can't handle another FF9 or FFX-2.

Raebus
09-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh Puh-lease! Why does this game even need consideration for a remake? If anything this is the game that needed a sequel. ;)

It already has two sequels? Dirge of cerberus and possibly Advent children (films count, right?) and prequels.

My bad, I got confused.

NmEnforcer
09-07-2006, 06:41 PM

It already has two sequels? Dirge of cerberus and possibly Advent children (films count, right?) and prequels.

Those are sequels to Final Fantasy VII. This thread (and board) is about Final Fantasy VIII.

chrisfffan
09-07-2006, 08:33 PM
they should remake all the final fantasy games from the ps1 7,8 and 9 on to the ps3 8s my favourite and I would love a remake! and why don’t some people like Rinoa?

crazybayman
09-07-2006, 09:02 PM
OMG LETS REMAKE EVERYTHING.

LIKE TOTALLY.

Laugh at face of Danger
09-07-2006, 09:32 PM
just as long as they ram it onto ps2, i can't dish out enough for a ps3, not even if i save up, defeat all the enemies in the area and access the secret areas for extra Gil!

King-Killer
09-08-2006, 01:21 AM
I think a remake would be great, on PS3 or PS4 or higher...

I would like a remake to show my kid (in a lot of years from now) what kind of game we had back in the day.

Hell, they made a great (your opinion to say) game with the Mysterious Vincent Valentine in Dirge of Cerberus FFVII.

Maybe Squall could take a Red&Black Cerberus look, :up: let's go with that!:cool:

Squall could be like Vincent
Irvine (or Laguna) could be Reeves
Selphie can easly be Yuffie (without the betrayal!)

On second Note:
Squall(Or Zell, hell, they're both spiked blond except, you know..) could be Cloud
Rinoa/Tifa
Barret/(Raijin?)
Cid/(Zell here? Maybe Seifer)

Aww, Maybe I'm just thinking out loud too much.
It'd be great to see some great GFs (like 'the great GF Bahamut' please come back... we'll pay you.) and some more like Cerberus, Alexander, Ifrit, Carbuncle ''theses seem to be most popuplar latetly'' Eden, Shiva, Siren, Brothers, Diablo, Leviathan, Quezacolt, ect...

ChibiKadaj
09-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I think it would be great to make it a remake. Make it on PS2 and all of them. Because not everyone is going to be able to aford a PS3.

EMX
09-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I would like a new Final Fantasy, but with the same modes as Final Fantasy VIII. That is, a new storyline, but similar gameplay - same battle system, the draw, junction, GF methods. Same weapons, etc.

RoxasLeonhart
09-08-2006, 07:08 PM
If squaresoft remakes a final fantasty it should be 8 not god alful ff7 it was the wrost ff in my opinion.

DfKimera
09-08-2006, 08:02 PM
I say make it for PS3. By the time they end it, PS3 will be hell more accessible. And still, there always will be the PC version for it.

Anyways, I hang on the FF8 story so much that any kind of extension for it, say it a prequel, sequel, remake, movie or book, ill be willing to acquire it. Acquire the legal way, something I don't ever do unless the game is from Valve, Square-Enix or Konami, because those deserve the cash they get.

Flying Mullet
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
NO NO NO

YTDN
09-08-2006, 08:38 PM
NO NO NO

Elpizo
09-08-2006, 08:50 PM
A PS3 remake of FF VII, VIII or IX? HELL NO. Sony fanboys already got to play these three games but people who went with a N64 and liked FF? Maybe they (like me) emulated it, but tehre's still a chance for people who haven't played them. So I say, port this great game together with VII and IX to the DS. FF I til IX portable and playable everywhere I go? Hell yes!

DfKimera
09-09-2006, 06:52 AM
There's the PC version for all of them. And nobody has a DS.

*~Angel Wing~*
09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
It's hard to say. FF8 was by far my favourite FF & game overall. I think they should make a remake, but only years down the line when it's you can't play FF8 on your console any more and remake's are inevitable. As long as they kept it the exact same (but with better graphic's) then I would be happy.
I feel exactly the same. :up:

Raebus
09-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Your right about the ds thing, no ones got one even though theres a handheld with "ds lite" written on it in my bedroom. :thumb:

Shiny
09-09-2006, 06:26 PM
No. The point of remaking a game, is because the game is outdated. FF8 is definately not outdated so there is no point in remaking it anytime soon.

DfKimera
09-09-2006, 07:44 PM
You can say its outdated. The backdrops resolutions are extremely low, the characters have very few details, and the PC version has several bugs such as non-working AltTab, not having 'Quit' and stuff like that.

Elpizo
09-09-2006, 09:53 PM
There's no PC version for IX. And only idiots have no DS Lite or bought a PSP over a DS. Ever conisdered that there are people who are not allowed to buy TV-consoles and go with handhelds then? Did that fact ever get in your skull? DS Lite is so far the best handheld ever, the arrival of VII, VIII and IX on it would only strenghten its succes.

atlanteay
09-09-2006, 10:08 PM
strange. I thought square was going to port all the psone ffs to psp.

The current issue of UK PSP Magazine is reporting that the future of the PSP includes Final Fantasy titles from the past. In addition to new features (including an EyeToy for the PSP and a GPS system), some of the launch titles for the upcoming PSP-PSOne Emulation feature have been announced (projected to debut in Europe as early as October 2006... other regions have yet to receive a even a tentative release date).

Specifically, both Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII are slated to be available at the emulator service's launch, and Sony plans to roll out a catalog of over 7000 PSOne titles by the end of 2007.

source: PSXetreme

*~Angel Wing~*
09-10-2006, 12:31 AM

The current issue of UK PSP Magazine is reporting that the future of the PSP includes Final Fantasy titles from the past. In addition to new features (including an EyeToy for the PSP and a GPS system), some of the launch titles for the upcoming PSP-PSOne Emulation feature have been announced (projected to debut in Europe as early as October 2006... other regions have yet to receive a even a tentative release date).

Specifically, both Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII are slated to be available at the emulator service's launch, and Sony plans to roll out a catalog of over 7000 PSOne titles by the end of 2007.

Wow I didn't know that!!!

leonheart_blade
09-10-2006, 01:04 AM
A FF8 novel wouldn't be bad either.

I would read that.

Shiny
09-10-2006, 03:58 AM
You can say its outdated. The backdrops resolutions are extremely low, the characters have very few details, and the PC version has several bugs such as non-working AltTab, not having 'Quit' and stuff like that.
When I said it was outdated I was referring to the actual date it was released. It's in the PlayStation generation which is not old enough to be considered for a remake in the first place. The graphics aren't outdated compared to earlier FF's that actually are (i.e. FF6, FF5, etc.). So there is really no point to remaking second generation Final Fantasies. But, hey you never know. They might remake some games in the future. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Atleast not for the newly released, non-portable consoles.

Fonzie
09-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Right after they remake FF7:Advent Children

Elpizo
09-10-2006, 06:58 AM

Yeah, I knew it was probably gonna be PSP for FF VII til IX ports but it's yet again unfair to Nintendo fans, in a way, while Sony fans already got everything. Not saying I am one, cause I can play all 9 on my PC so I have no problems with it going to PSP... I guess porting VII and VIII to PSP is Sony's way to try and get PSP to sell more.

DfKimera
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Heh, you have any idea how expensive both PSP and DS/DS Lite are expensive outside the US and Japan? A DS here costs more then a Xbox 360 (approx. R$ 1400,00)

Elpizo
09-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Heh, you have any idea how expensive both PSP and DS/DS Lite are expensive outside the US and Japan? A DS here costs more then a Xbox 360 (approx. R$ 1400,00)
Even more reasons it not being remade on that expensive thing that has been delayed again that they call a Playstation3.

At least DS Lite was worth my 150 euros. (And that's a lot, too.)

King-Killer
09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm all for a remake.
Just not now.
Maybe in 10, 15 or maybe 20 years from now.
On a PS4, or 5, or 7... whatever.

When it's actually outdated that you wouldn't play it anymore.
How many times has it been? (Over 50 times I've played the game, still am. :lol:)
Oh, I just Love theses Exam? (Don't we all love it.)

DfKimera
09-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Yet my PC would surely run any PS3 game.

And btw, the older FFs have their charm with those graphics. Sure, it deserves a remake as much as the others, but FF8 is still my favorite, and since FF7 fans got their movie and shooter, its time that we get atleast a remake.

Hyperion4444
09-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Your PC couldn't support a PS3 game unless... you have a Blue-Ray Disk Drive.

It can, however, support the massif graphics if you have a very good graphic card.

It could support it, but can't play it unless...

DfKimera
09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
About 2 years ago, when PS2 was reaching its top, people doubted that someday they would be able to play Dual-Layered DVDs in their computer.

Blue-Ray Disk Drives are just around the corner.

Raebus
09-12-2006, 09:00 PM
About 2 years ago, when PS2 was reaching its top, people doubted that someday they would be able to play Dual-Layered DVDs in their computer.

Really expensive Blue-Ray Disk Drives are just around the corner.

:thumb:

Slade
09-13-2006, 09:04 AM
No. Leave all the old games alone :(
They are great THE WAY THEY ARE.

Setzer Gabianni
09-13-2006, 09:20 AM
PSP's are overrated. So there. Insulting those who have a DS? Very sly that. DS has been more successful in terms of sales for games, but this is a topic to do with FFVIII so I shall say no more.

I simply agree with Slade. It doesn't matter if they remake them for the PSP, it's not the clasic old games we knew from before is it?

~Setzer Gabbiani

XandrewX
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Well...I agree for a remake as the graphics aren't good and the storyline is interesting so I would like a remake.and it came out on 1998 that's kinda old nearly 10 years already.So a remake would be nice.An online wouldn't happen I guess...we already have FFXI already...Remake a movie of FF8 and a game like Dirge of Ceberus of FF7. that'll nbe fine.The whole FF8 is just the BG is nice the character's graphics is so disappointing but It's the BEST FF game to me.

DfKimera
09-13-2006, 07:18 PM
I dislike portable machines but my mobile phone. And yeah, I also agree that we should keep the remakes for a few years later, not so much, but in 2 or 3 years, when PS5 will be comming out (Wonder what kind of media we will be using :choc:)

Blu-Ray Drives will be expensive for the first 2 months. Say, when the first home CD-RW devices were out, they costed around 1400 bucks. Now you can pick a DVD-RW for 50 bucks, and im talking about 8 years, which is almost nothing. Also, its not an entirely new technology, they are just replacing the laser cannon with a more modern one, and the cost upgrade from a common DVD-RW device will be not too much (about 200% in the start). Yeah, we may be playing PS3 games by the middle of 2008.

Ah, also, im more for a sequel or movie then for a remake.

Bolivar
09-15-2006, 02:45 AM

Actually the DS is very popular in Japan, and considering FF is a Japanese series, I wouldn't be surprised if they continue making/remaking titles for DS after III comes out.

That's what alot of the American fans forget when they criticize the series, especially the latest installments, for losing its "classic feel". Because in Japan they keep rating the games higher and higher.

I would probably buy a remake of 8, but moreso than graphics I think they should alter certain aspects of the Junction system. It's so easy to get certain spells early on (refining Tents to Curaga), that throughout the game it's not unlikely to have characters w/ 3000+ HP who are only hitting for 200.

Alot of the battle mechanics really bring this game down compared to the other games.

The Knights of the Round
09-15-2006, 03:06 AM
ok really remaking something just ruins it, the original is the original period. if anything maybe they should just put FF 7,8,and 9 on a ps3 disc or something farther down the road so then you have em all on one disc and on the most up to date fastest console. the whole remake stuff i think is pointless because like i said the original is the original and it should stay like that, a remake would just make the original seem less as good as it really was and is.

(and this is just my own opinion. if indeed some remake was made i would buy, but im not going to support remaking one, square is better off making something new and creative than remaking an old one)

Heero Yuy NWZC
09-15-2006, 04:03 AM
FF8 was very good indeed. Having a remake of it and some add-ins would be pretty awesome.

PerpetualBurn
09-15-2006, 10:06 AM
The only amendment I would make to any of the FFs is to add a save game+ so that I could play the game over without arsing about levelling up and getting the magic and just enjoy the plot.

The graphics have never bothered me in games. It's just more room for your imagination.

chrisfffan
09-16-2006, 11:59 PM
does anyboady eles here like the fact that its on 4 discs? i think it makes u feel like u have done something when you get onto the next disc that might sound a bit old school but i like 4 discs

DynasticJam
09-17-2006, 07:50 AM
To be honest, I'd say no way, I don't think that any of the Final Fantasy titles need to be remade, maybe in many years to come, but not now, it's too early for that. People are still stuck into the old Final Fantasy games, the last thing they want is to get half way through a Final Fantasy game, and then discover that it's been re-released in an updated version. Not only that, but nothing beats the origionals, some might say that it would be better because the graphics and sound etc would be improved. Maybe so, but remember that technology is always developing, so if they came out with a new Final Fantasy VIII, then what happens years after that? Technology would improve and people will be asking for another release of FF8! So I will have to say no, although I do love the game.

fantasyjunkie
09-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Well not a remake but re-released on a PS3 disk so you could play it on that system. Same graphics and everything.

DynasticJam
09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
You mean you can't play PS1 disks on a PS3??? I thought you could, but I suppose there would be an advantage. I mean, at least it would all fit on one disk.

Seto Fett
09-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I'd like a remake, but that's not saying as much, considering I'd like them for VII, VIII, and IX. Hell, even X in maybe 10 years. VIII reamake would be welcome but I'd say wait 5 years or so when technology is even more better. Though I guess they could make any of them with DoC or X/X-2 graphics and I'd stilll be pleased.

Raven-X
09-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, it depends...
SE could definitely pull it off, they have my support, and their games are wonderful imo.
But I'd like to see one or two new gfs, maybe a sequel could be good, but a remake is something I'd love to see. Granted it was done right.

~SapphireStar~
09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
No way. Square should spend more time making new games instead of redoing old ones. Its laziness.

James16
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I cant stand games with just one disk that you beat in like 4 days. The 4-disks auctually made you 'work' for that ' ahhhh another game ive conqured' :D feeling... and another thing i was woundering... will you be able to play ps2 games on the ps3???

Rocket Edge
10-20-2006, 12:31 AM
will you be able to play ps2 games on the ps3???
Yeah..

10-Breaker
10-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Maybe remake, but online mode hll NO.

rubah
10-21-2006, 06:36 AM
I would love for it to be just a straight graphics update. That is all.