PDA

View Full Version : ITS HERE!

Goldenboko
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Well anthology came today and the only reason I'm not playing it is because I have homework :( but I thought I'd ask how does 5 stack up to the other Final Fantasies?

Evastio
09-08-2006, 12:07 AM
It's good but it's not the best out of the first generation FFs.

Zeromus_X
09-08-2006, 01:48 AM
The Job System is fully refined from FFIII, so Gameplay really isn't a concern.

Some people hate the storyline and characters, though the characters assuredly aren't the emotionless blocks that people accuse them of being (or they just like whining).

The villain, however, is very generic, but that shouldn't stop you from enjoying the game.

However, the PS1 port has a very wacky translation (like, FFIVe quality here), and the sound is definitely downgraded from the original. You may not notice this if you haven't played it on an emulator before, however. :cat:

Overall, a decent game. Not really my favorite, but it's still teh awesomes.

Shin Gouken
09-08-2006, 07:08 AM
You'll love the job system and the ammount of customisation it brings without a doubt.

The characters all have an ok back story and all have there emotional moments. The story starts of extremely slow but picks up tremendously at some points but nearer the end the story thins again. It would be ALOT easier to apreciate the standards of story and characters if the script was a little better. Tbh the script is a pile of wank but if you can get past that then you'll enjoy this game very much

boys from the dwarf
09-08-2006, 07:45 AM
although it has the slow start, it still makes you want to play on. it has a good cast of characters and when the storyline begins to pick up it gets even better. its one of the best first generation FFs and is definetly a great FF that is worth getting. BTW. which anthology did you get? the european or the american?

Goldenboko
09-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Considering I got it from The West coast of America, I think I got the American Version... is there a difference (Crosses fingers that there isn't another FFX like difference)

aerithsloveslave
09-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Euro contains IV and V. US contains V and VI. V should be played because of its fun job system and light-hearted humor. Don't expect a thought provoking, deep storyline.

theundeadhero
09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
I bet you got a lot of homework done surfing EOFF :p

boys from the dwarf
09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
i agree thats its not completely deep but its a well done story with a great storyline and likeable characters.

Araciel
09-08-2006, 05:36 PM
i liked it, never finished it...it's on my to-do list...along with twenty other games

Goldenboko
09-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Euro contains IV and V. US contains V and VI. V should be played because of its fun job system and light-hearted humor. Don't expect a thought provoking, deep storyline.

Oh well I have the American version which is good because I wanted to play VI I bought cronicles so now I have IV(hard time! YAY! No more of this easier version!) and Chrono Trigger as well.

boys from the dwarf
09-08-2006, 07:56 PM
good for you. FF6 is great. one of the best FFs. im sure you'll really enhoy FF5 and 6.

Sefie1999AD
09-09-2006, 12:28 PM
FFV is a great game. The battle system (Job/Ability system similar to FFIII and FFT) is one of the best in the series, if not the best, and it was the most addictive system for me. Maybe because of that, FFV has the record of my longest time playing on a row, 17 hours (from 12 PM to 5 AM). :D While the storyline may seem quite weak, I noticed that it makes a lot of sense and has a lot of depth on it when I played through the game for the second time. The character development could have been better, but the characters are still likable, and I liked the side characters too.

The music is a bit different from some other FF games, but it's very beautiful and enjoyable, IMHO. Nobuo Uematsu was being quite creative on this game. For example, the opening theme ("A presentation") works just perfectly with the opening sequence. The game is relatively short, you can finish it in 20-30 hours, but it's still a fun game. There's also three different worlds to explore, which is quite cool.

The PSX version has annoying load times, sound quality is weaker than in SNES and the name translations are weird (X-Death, Salsa etc). So far I prefer the fan translated SNES version, but I'll wait and see how FFV GBA will turn out until I make up my decision about my favorite version.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Awesome freakin game. Not as known as FFVI but in my opinion better. It's so simple. Not to much talking on one discussion. And everybody complains about the loading screens. When I play it on my PS1 it's the same crap as FFVIII timing. But try to level up when you think you dont have to. It helps a lot.

boys from the dwarf
09-09-2006, 06:59 PM
its easy to be underlevelled on this game. if you play through the game without running away (unless you really have to like if your at level 4 against a harpy.) you should be fine. if you feel you are a bit underlevelled. take some time to level up. its easy enough to be underlevelled on FF5.

Goldenboko
09-09-2006, 07:29 PM
There is no way I'm gonna let myself be underlevel in a game like this because I played for a couple hours and I have to say the class system RULES! So far I've been distracted from the storyline because I've wanted to train.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-09-2006, 08:17 PM
At'em boy.

Bolivar
09-10-2006, 04:06 AM
I played it on Anthology too and I had a great time playing it, beat it in about 26 hours. I think it's a very underrated game because of how familiar the fans in North America are with the other SNES titles.

The story is about as deep as they got on cartridges, and the characters and setting have interesting backstories. There's a few connections to 4, so it may be more rewarding if you've played that first.

Goldenboko
09-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Yup already played IV.

eestlinc
09-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Don't expect a thought provoking, deep storyline.
It's a video game, not a novel, so you aren't ever going to get that much depth. About the only video game I've ever played with what I would consider a deep storyline was FF Tactics. The story for FFV is goo dbecause it doesn't try to do too much and it doesn't get in the way of the gameplay, which is awesome.