PDA

View Full Version : Battle System......

I Am Stoner
09-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I have been wondering, those who have played the demo of FFXII is the battle system like Vagarant Story? I liked the battle system in that, although it did have many flaws it was great. Whats the battle system in FFXII like?

Dynast-Kid
09-07-2006, 10:27 PM
It's supposed to be alot like FFXI when it comes to battle.And the Gambit System is supposed to be strategic/fun/genius...

But then again,I haven't played the game...

But i'll love this game no matter what.

Githian
09-07-2006, 11:07 PM
is the battle system like Vagarant Story?

not really...well if you play using wait mode it may be similar to Vagrant Story, just because monsters stop and you decide what to do...but...it is different indeed

Araciel
09-08-2006, 03:43 PM
i for one am not a big fan of it...i like the ATB or even the turn based system of old...but oh well...i don't know if i will buy this game yet

which is saying a lot because i have bought every FF game i own without trying it, aside from 1, which was a christmas present with the nes we got when i was like 7

Dubhghlas
09-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I've not played a demo of the game but have seen some video clips of the game in action. The battle system really reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), a game I really played a lot. I wonder if you can stack up commands for the other team mates like in KOTOR or quick change in the fight at any point.

At first I did not like the thought of a departure from the turn based system but I am begining to warm to the evolution of the system. I've heard a rumor that FF XIII will have a similar system too so this would appear to be the next step for FF.

The nes system will certainly make the game more free flowing but I hope it does not give it too much of an action feel. Well it's not long for us anyhow.

Araciel
09-08-2006, 05:32 PM
no, kotor is still stylized turn based, (and for the record i hope there is a next gen continuation of this series) this is more like live action ATB, i just couldn't get a good feel for it, but i'll probably get used to it and maybe come to love it

Dubhghlas
09-08-2006, 08:14 PM
I was'nt saying that the system is akin to KOTOR just that it reminded me of the game. Besides is there not a non-active (wait) option for the battle system?

Araciel
09-08-2006, 08:56 PM
yeah you did...guh sorry...it is reminiscent in appearance to kotor

there is the wait option, i'm mainly put of by the stylization of it and i don't like the fact that you can move around the battlefield....i know it's more realistic but i guess i'm just hooked on the old-school games

Dubhghlas
09-09-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm sure you'll learn to accept it. Roll with the times.

Guardians
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
ya, ff 12 battle system is like when u make decision, the monster stop action..... beside that, u can use gembit ( if i nto spell wrong) system.

the system is a kind of AI system that u set urself.

example

when anyone in party hp < 40% , use cura

most far enemy , use weapon atk

flying enemy , use fira

these action will perform when the situation is reach the requirement of the system.

Ouch!
09-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Considering how similar it felt to the Final Fantasy XI battle system (minus the macros), I can't see myself having problems with this system. It seemed rather intuitive to me in the demo, although that's probably because its similarities to a system I'm already used to. Either way, I'm sure it'll work out well. The only people I hear complaining about the battle system are those who haven't played the game yet, so that's got to say something. Granted, I can't say that I've looked around for many opinions.

LunarWeaver
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Some of this has been answered, but I'm going to launch into an explanation anyway just for kicks and cookies.

When you press circle, it brings up the menu and (on Wait mode) freezes everything. You then input all the actions you want, and when you press X the menu will go away and a bar, much like the ATB bar, begins to fill up. When it's full, the action is carried out on the target selected. Magic takes longer to fill than, say, Attack.

But things would get monotonous if you had to constantly freeze the action and manually tell everybody what to do because of the way the game is set-up. So you can use the Gambit system which let's you set your own A.I. One example is "If HP is < 30%" then "Cast Curaga". With this Gambit a character will automatically start to heal anybody whose HP is 30% or lower. Or "Cast Oil on enemy" followed by "Cast Fire on all enemies with Oil status effect" (oil increases fire damage). This will cause them to Oil an enemy then cast Fire until they die and then repeat the process on the next enemy without you telling them to do it. You can even set it up so they stop once their MP gets too low. MP also refills as you run around slowly, and some skills let you refill it faster (like refill so much everytime you hit somebody that sort of thing).

In other words, it's the same exact thing as always at its core. You select things out of a menu, and then you see the action carried out while the enemy and you alternate turns. It's still a turn-based RPG, despite looking more like an action-RPG, you just don't go into a battle screen.

The Gambits are optional and are only there for convenience. If you want to input everything manually then you can. You can turn them off or on at any time.

So it's really not like Vagrant Story =/

And that's about that!

Dubhghlas
09-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks for that. I was wondering what this gambit system was all about. Never played FF online never will (not my thing). I like this idea of creating macros for the characters. It sounds a lot better than the KOTOR AI sets (which to be honest were rubbish).

Guardians
09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
dont know y got these kind of gambit system on battle system.....

some high lv boss might can beat by using gambit system if u setting are good....so u no ned see...haha

now i play ff... i mostly use gambit system... i just control the movement only.... the char will auto hit the monster, auto heal...