PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars, Prophecies or Factions?

Ethanol Dreams
09-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Hey there, for those of you who play Guild Wars... Which would you say was better, Prophecies or Factions? I have to say Prophecies because: 1. Six professions was enough in my opinion, the Assassin and Ritualist classes weren't really needed. 2. There were 25 missions (and bonus missions) in Prophecies, whereas in Factions there were only 14 missions. 3. Your characters levelled way too fast in Factions, which to my mind somewhat takes the fun away from it. Don't get me wrong, I still play and enjoy Factions, I just prefer Prophecies. I'd be glad to hear some other opinions please. Which do you prefer and why?

My name is...something..?
09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Definitely Prophecies.
There's WAY more stuff to do.

Kuzotz
09-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I would say prophecies, but the storyline on Factions is more of a breath of fresh air.

escobert
09-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Factions was basically a expansion with stand-alone capabilities, so of course the original would be better.

Shlup
09-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Ditto all of the above. I only like playing necromancers anyway. xD

Zante
09-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Factions was an expansion, no matter how much Anet tries to promote it as a standalone game. While I actualy enjoyed it and liked a lot of the new features (Alliance battles ftw), Prophecies wins hands down, the story is much better as well.

Avarice-ness
09-09-2006, 08:32 AM
I -love- my assassin, She's the best. But what I don't like is that in Factions it took me like not alot of time at all to get to Lvl 9 with my assassin, in Prophicies my Elementalist is still on a contstant level struggle because it's harder to level. I also realized it's easier to get gold in Factions. So half the time I'll do missions just to give to the agent people so my elementalist in Prophicies can have something. x x

I really do like Factions though, but I guess I like Prophecies as equal, I just like to complain because it's not as easy and people like to take the easy route. :razz:

Christmas
09-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Prophecies, faction too rush rush monsters too too overpowered. :(

Markus. D
09-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Factions for the definite challenge thats gone way way up in diffuculty (my guild actually managed to get the right to perform inside an Elite mission, Kanaxai... only 5 teams have been able to take it down since its been implemented) and much better storyline.

I still reckon ranger is the best primary for a Melee Class ;) or a >_> Blood Touch Necro, which abilities can only be complimented by with Factions.

I also like factions more for the bizzare structures here and there n_n

and well, apart from the rushed levels (which I dont really think matter anyway... 20 levels... come on >_>) and the voiceovers (which were improved might I say. Cynn and Mhenlo pwned the voices) it truly is a perfect game especially in a nice enhance in gameplay.

and yes, I think the Assassin is useless for its primary... its just ridiculously poor for the Assassins Armour needs theres almost no direct creativity with it as a primary (just as shameful as a mesmer Primary).
the Assassins abilities however are quite a spectacle to see used uniquely with other main proffesions.

and well. Ritualist is just amazing.... I think that the two new classes need a bit of working on though, so far the Dervish is like an overall better Assassin, and ... there is really no problem with the Paragon :P... just the ugly armour and ;_;... no Bard instruments which would suit there abilities perfectly (excempting the Spear using ones >_> they should just make the spears more shiny and call them Dirges :]).

edit: also if not for factions, we wouldnt have the Elite missions, which is like an honour to be able to delve into, I have only been in two. but there definetly unique to the other missions :])

Drift
09-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Assassins suck~ i know cause i have one, prophercies = hell if you played factions first like i did, however both are good in their own eyes.

Markus. D
09-09-2006, 04:05 PM
mmm yeah.

the only thing Assassins have going for them is in look, and how they Luxon and Kurzick endgame armour are the <3

Necro Black Luxon has some rather Badass armour aswell. the look more like Anime assassins... if it wasnt for there pupil lacking eyes and giant hair.

as for Shlups Necro Fetish.

Factions will love you and your MM.

and Prophecies will love your 55 Build (zomg Minotaur Solo farming).

55 Necro and monk where also the first that could Tank level 20+ monsters (that didnt cause interupts or conditions) for an extremely long time.

Avarice-ness
09-09-2006, 07:02 PM
I have no problems with my assassin, maybe it's because I like to do chain attacked and even with my Elementalists in prophecies and Factions, I'm hardly ever -just- attacking, I'm always hitting. "5,6,4,7" because it's just blunt magic. With my assassin, It's "1,5,7,8" 'cause she's an Asssassin/Elemtalist. Blunt hits then back up with Magic. <3.

But like Christmas said before, the monsters in Factions are way to hard, but that's because in Factions if you level up to like Lvl 9, that's going to make all the monesters in your area like.. Lvl 12 or 13. =O

Oh and "which is better" question should be asked again when Nightfall is out. :)

Christmas
09-09-2006, 07:16 PM
All the monsters in faction ESPECIALLY THE BOSS are overpowered compared to those in Prophecies.

All boss in faction do double dmg and their skill activation times are halved. I can't believe a random warrior boss can hit my warrior for 124 dmg with Cleave. :(

I have trouble exploring Cantha with my warrior cause there are tons of mobs that like sticking together but it was easier with my MM when you fight them with sheer numbers.

EDIT: AND THOSE DREDGE GARDERNER SEEMS INVINCIBLE SINCE THEY CAST TONS OF *&#*&$# SPELLS ON THEMSELVES AND THAT FELLOW BUDDIES MAKING THEM ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL. ALSO, THEY SEEMS TO HAVE ENDLESS ENERGY. :mad2:

Drift
09-09-2006, 11:14 PM
so anyone in UK/Europe GW server group?

Markus. D
09-10-2006, 12:08 AM
I switched to american server to play with Roberto.

but he stopped playing?

ITS VERY SIMPLE TO DISPEL ENCHANTMENTS AND BUFF HEXES o_o"
SO DREDGE ARENT THAT MUCH OF A PROBLEM-ish

they still need to fine tune the minions in cutscenes.
its annoying watching Shiro Tagachi kill everyone and watch the MMs minions (try having three in your party >_>) lag up the screen while I cutscene is going on, as they dont degenerate anymore.
they should script them so they disssssapear from the cutscene.

Christmas
09-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Too bad my henchies won't and I dun have the energy to remove all the endless enchantments.:(

Rostum
09-10-2006, 03:21 AM
I played the first one that came out. It was pretty good, but I eventually got bored. ,_, Bert helped me with a couple of things though! Sorry Bert for not staying, I wasn't really having much fun. ,_,

Markus. D
09-10-2006, 07:53 PM
I played the first one that came out. It was pretty good, but I eventually got bored. ,_, Bert helped me with a couple of things though! Sorry Bert for not staying, I wasn't really having much fun. ,_,

,_,

wow!... that things actually catching on ,_,

,_,

I cant wait for the Factions styled special event (ya know... where they change everythings look and add in a few little incentives).

Melkor_
09-10-2006, 07:56 PM
flyff

Markus. D
09-10-2006, 08:02 PM

yes... a game full of "Malay" speakers is just amazing *-*.

... no really. it is.

Rostum
09-11-2006, 02:14 AM
,_,

,_,

That thing has been around for years and years. >.>; I don't know what you're talking about.

Markus. D
09-11-2006, 03:47 AM
,_,

,_,

That thing has been around for years and years. >.>; I don't know what you're talking about.

its very infamous though ,_,

Rostum
09-11-2006, 03:58 AM
,_,

,_,

No it's not, do you even know what infamous means?

Markus. D
09-11-2006, 06:19 AM
,_,

,_,

No it's not, do you even know what infamous means?

ill-famed... notorious...? something Shamefully Malign?

man we are off topic... ,_,

escobert
09-12-2006, 02:50 AM
Yes you are and, When I tried the Assassin on that special weekend event I hated it.

Markus. D
09-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Yes. I hate them. But their melee damage output (especially with the Primary... only really useful thing) and Shadow Stepping (kind of needed with the Assassin >->) makes them I guess... alright with no real variation except maybe Heal Monk (Orison of healing is cheap and spammable though rather ineffective without Divine favor... still there IS healing breeze... even though Shadow arts already has an uber-tastic self healer), Commune Ritualist (things like Brutal Weapon allow even MORE damage output), again more damage with a Ranger secondary (Poison weapons... I donno, add to the already potent debuff with Bleeding and deep wound = pwned... though the Afflicted have a rather heavy resistance to Poison) and the obvious choice which is Warrior.... (Sacrificing overall Armour and Armour penetration ( ;_; ) and daggers >-> while using and upped critical rate Axe for crowd control and Axe skills oh.. and slightly higher Energy).

Avarice-ness
09-12-2006, 08:31 AM
o o.. For some reason I'm the only pro-assassin here. Am I the only one that can kill things with it? I'm lost because all you people say that they arn't any good, when I can destroy things with little problem with chain attacks. =[

I made a Ritualist, but I havn't played her yet, I'll try later. :)

Markus. D
09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
not saying they arent good.

but I AM saying there primary could be... better.

my fave proffessssssion is Ranger :D

I reckon they make the best skill users. period.

speccially Blood Necros (Ranger Primary... Expertise ;)). Touching things to death is cheap and fun n_n (technically though, its becoming a trend to make "Touch Necros" so I made a R/Rt and created my own DoT/Battery build to not join the Bandwagon... its more PvE though....)

edit: the rangers have sexier armour in factions.
in fact.. I think everything does. cept Rts... >_>

escobert
09-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Well, I really only tried the asassin in the PvP special weekend event. I've yet tpo try it out at all in PvE. I still need internet for that :p

Avarice-ness
09-13-2006, 01:56 AM
I want BertBert to come back and get the internets because I miss my first friend. ; ;

We can play GW and the world will be happy!!! ; ;

Going to go try my ritualist out.. What should I have as a second perfession, oh mighter "I LIKE THIS PROFESSION"-ists.

escobert
09-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Yes I can't wait either ^_^ I think Nightfall looks to be good also :D Can't wait for that to come out :D, and really I think Factions is going to be cool with Halloween comming, Lions Arch was oh so fun :D

Markus. D
09-13-2006, 05:29 AM
I want BertBert to come back and get the internets because I miss my first friend. ; ;

We can play GW and the world will be happy!!! ; ;

Going to go try my ritualist out.. What should I have as a second perfession, oh mighter "I LIKE THIS PROFESSION"-ists.

perhaps something that endorses its Unique ability with spirits or something.. what is it? spawning? *shrugs**looks at GW Bible he is writing*

oooooh.

you could make an ultra strong Spirit Spawner :]! by that I mean.. your spirits. each point in spawning gives 4% more health to a spirit/animated creature.

so perhaps Rt/N or maybe even Rt/R (both can spawn stuffs).

there neat :D!

and though they are no Elementalist for energy. or have almost no (dont think they have any actually) energy leeching skills from the Mesmer.... /Me would be a neat combo :D... or if yyou want to perhaps go full support there is always /Mo.

hope that sorta helped :D