PDA

View Full Version : I could already tell I'm going to love this game...

Goldenboko
09-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Well I finally got myself to stop playing VI and try V (I'm on the laptop so I can be her too:) !) And from the opening scene I can say I'm going to love this game...

Why you may ask?
Because the main character travels around with BOKO THE CHOCOBO!!!!!

I'll keep ya updated on what I think of it (First time I ever atempted beating a new FF for the first time while a member of this site.)

GO BOKO GO!

Evastio
09-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Well I finally got myself to stop playing VI and try V (I'm on the laptop so I can be her too:) !) And from the opening scene I can say I'm going to love this game...

Why you may ask?
Actually later on he doesn't. He gets left behind once you go to the pirate cave. You still get to ride him again eventually.

Goldenboko
09-09-2006, 12:37 AM

Why you may ask?
Actually later on he doesn't. He gets left behind once you go to the pirate cave. You still get to ride him again eventually.

Yeah... I just found that out in the game :(

Oh well on the bright side I've got the crystal shards and I'm experimenting with the class system...

My plan is to make Faris a thief that can cast White Magic,
Reina a White Mage,
Galuf a Blue Mage,
And Me a Knight that can cast black magic....

I already have my first question though... how do you learn Blue Magic? Do you get it as you level up?

Decessus
09-09-2006, 12:58 AM
You learn Blue Magic from monsters.

Goldenboko
09-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Alright so its like how it is in the other games... but how? My Blue Mage doesn't have an ability that let's him do that.

EDIT- Nevermind... you don't get learning to level 2 thats what it was...

Bolivar
09-09-2006, 05:07 AM
Boko still has a role later than that. and yes, it is a really good game.

Shin Gouken
09-09-2006, 07:05 AM
Alright so its like how it is in the other games... but how? My Blue Mage doesn't have an ability that let's him do that.

EDIT- Nevermind... you don't get learning to level 2 thats what it was...

'Learning' is an ability you can equip to another class so they can learn blue magic when attacked by certain spells. A blue mage doesn't need the ability to be equiped, he has it as a default. Just like a theif has secret and a monk has counter as defaults.

If you want a couple of blue magics to get you started... in the wind shrine you can learn 'Gob punch' and 'Aero'

Zeromus_X
09-09-2006, 07:28 AM
The great thing about Blue Magic in this game (and all colors of magic and magic swords and pretty much every spell) is that each character doesn't need to learn it individually. This is greatly convenient to the player, but you have to wonder how the magic shops stay in business.

boys from the dwarf
09-09-2006, 08:27 AM

Why you may ask?

Oh well on the bright side I've got the crystal shards and I'm experimenting with the class system...

Reina a White Mage,
Galuf a Blue Mage,

I already have my first question though... how do you learn Blue Magic? Do you get it as you level up?

that job set ups pretty good but once you get better classes i think you'll find you'll want to change it.

first. if you make a character who only cast magic make sure they learn two different types (apart from blue mage.) E.G. your reina could learn white magic and time magic (trust me. time magic is a must have.)

and im not too sure about that black mage knight because he probably wont be very good at black magic. but ive never tried a magical fighter. sounds like a good party but you'll definetly want to make slight alterations later on.

aquatius
09-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Well later in the game you get some awesome classes which you'll love to play around with, at the moment I have:
Bart-Dragoon that can observe
Galuf-Monk that has 20% hp plus
Faris-Samurai with dash
Lenna-Dancer with white magic.

Goldenboko
09-09-2006, 08:43 PM
that job set ups pretty good but once you get better classes i think you'll find you'll want to change it.

first. if you make a character who only cast magic make sure they learn two different types (apart from blue mage.) E.G. your reina could learn white magic and time magic (trust me. time magic is a must have.)

and im not too sure about that black mage knight because he probably wont be very good at black magic. but ive never tried a magical fighter. sounds like a good party but you'll definetly want to make slight alterations later on.
Actually the Black Magic has been very helpful, Bolt worked wonders agains that Crab thing, and Fire was very helpful for quickly disposing of multible skeletons.

Bolivar
09-10-2006, 03:51 AM

Why you may ask?

Reina a White Mage,
Galuf a Blue Mage,

actually Bartz trained as a Knight/Black Mage is what I finished the game with. Of course the magic is only secondary, but he's fairly effecient with it. I had Galuf as a Sorcerer for most of the game, and it worked out because Bartz could cast a different spell each turn, whereas if I just wanted the same one I could have Galuf use !Sword.

A good strategy is to give him the Barefist (Monk) ability when he's training as a Black Mage and unequip his weapons, that way you can still tear through enemies while gaining spell levels.

Boco, something useful to keep in mind is that early in the game (when you're using Magic lvls 3 and below), it's helpful to have your White Mage become a Red Mage once you reach your levels, especially since you have Reina for that position. This way she can cast her regular spells, plus black magic if necessary, and they pack a decent punch.

Goldenboko
09-10-2006, 04:15 AM
Well my party has changed BIG TIME!

I know have level 2 spells making Black Magic much more efficiant so here's my current plan...

Main Character= I'm definitely keeping him a Knight because with 2 handed his attacks are VERY powerful, during normal battles (random encounters I mean) I keep him with Black Magic so he can take down multiple enemies at once, BUT when I suspect a boss battle coming up (usually fairly obvious because of save points) I have trained him with Time Magic so he can cast Haste (haste= Awesomeness)

Reina= Primary healer, but has Summon so she can cast Sylph against bosses when she gets the chance (Heals party AND damages opponent very nice.)

Galuf= Monk has worked so well! He's become a powerhouse and the counterattack ability works wonders! His physical attack totals up from anywhere from 200-500 damage(depends on enemy, and on critical hit)! At the moment I have him also a Blue Mage because he has the ??? skill which can damage the enemy by his max HP currently 430, nice damage.

Its funny you recommend a Red Mage because...

Faris= Red Mage with the steal ability. I want to still be able to steal but Theif was just NOT cutting it offensively. With my newly aquired second magic attacks she is one of my most useful characters because she has a good physical attack and great magic...

I have yet to test this party against a hard opponent yet (having too much fun killing random encounters!)

boys from the dwarf
09-13-2006, 06:59 AM
ive usually trained galuf as a monk. good idea.

i usuall have two mage characters that know two different types of magic, and the other character for offense and on for healing and buffing.

for fighters i usually just make them one class or a combination of fighter classes because their magic wont be as powerful if they are knights and monks.

double-hand and the berserker job class does tons of damage. along with haste, that berserker will be smashing through bosses (well not that easily but s/he'll be more powerful than any of you other fighters.)

where are you in the game? what levels?

Markus. D
09-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Monks are amazing <3 in this game.

if making a Blue Mage, dont forget to learn goblin punch, I was able to cheap my way through about three bosses based on like of the Goblin Punch Dice (1000+ damage on pure chance).

and yes. Red Mages ftw.

The Knights of the Round
09-16-2006, 05:54 AM
im sorry to say this but, i just hit the third world. and there have been times where i want to throw this game out the window. the bosses are fricken easy easy with just normal attacks. i dont even need summons half the time for bosses. but the monsters going through the area right before that boss are hard. i dont get it. its really makes me ANGRY. but i like the game other than that. the jobs and stuff are pretty sweet and they are original.

goldenboco- im liking your strategy, kinda similar to mine back when i started, but with an extra kick that would beat mine in a vs. mode or something with all our characters at the same lvl.. good going :)

Goldenboko
09-16-2006, 01:26 PM
ive usually trained galuf as a monk. good idea.

i usuall have two mage characters that know two different types of magic, and the other character for offense and on for healing and buffing.

for fighters i usually just make them one class or a combination of fighter classes because their magic wont be as powerful if they are knights and monks.

double-hand and the berserker job class does tons of damage. along with haste, that berserker will be smashing through bosses (well not that easily but s/he'll be more powerful than any of you other fighters.)

where are you in the game? what levels?

When I posted that I just finished the Fire Ship and everyone was level 17 except Reina (she was 16).

Now I am also trainning the Main Hero as a Ninja (I relized from the Monks that attacking Twice rules). So my Main Hero is pretty versatile.

The Black Magic for the Main Hero has been useful once again in the Anceint Library, so I really don't regret trainning him in that. And Time Magic= Awesomeness!(Casting haste on Galuf and/or the Main Hero can basically turn a battle into no challenge)

Unfortunatly it appears Blue Magic won't be useful until later on when I get abilitys like White Wind.

With Ifrit the summon thing for Reina is really working out.

And Red Mages totally rock! No complaint there. Although sometime I do plan on returning Faris to a Thief and get Footwork. Red Mage+Thief Speed+Haste= SUPER AWESOMENESS!

Also I was wondering if Quadraharpy was suppose to be really difficult because some guy warned me of him... So of course I had to fight it, and I won rather easily.

Lastly would anyone mind telling me where in the world I find Cid!

boys from the dwarf
09-17-2006, 08:43 AM
im not 100% sure where you are in the game but cid should be at the library or back in karnak. if you have the fire ship, go look for cresent island. or go to the north and go to easterly village. in the huge forest nearby you can fight ramuh and get him as a summon.

Goldenboko
09-20-2006, 10:35 PM
im not 100% sure where you are in the game but cid should be at the library or back in karnak. if you have the fire ship, go look for cresent island. or go to the north and go to easterly village. in the huge forest nearby you can fight ramuh and get him as a summon.

You mean the Acient Library place? I was just there!