PDA

View Full Version : Dark Messiah

Captain Maxx Power
09-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Can't see any threads for this game, so let's make one shall we?

Anyways, after about six hours of downloading the demo for Dark Messiah : Might and Magic, I've got to say I wasn't overly impressed. The graphics are neat enough 'n' all, but really the combat system, which is what the game basically hinges on, isn't up to much. Maybe I'm too used to Oblivion's sublime approach to melee combat, but I felt like I would have more luck attempting to take on my opponent with a wet piece of spagehtti being wielded by a one-eyed squirrel. It's just very lacklustre. For all the shaking and shifting and wobbling your own character does (not one I'd recommend for anyone who suffers from motion sickness), your enemies don't seem phased.

And then there's that kick. Well, if there was ever a move that made an entire system defunct, it's this move. With it you can basically boot back an enemy some three or four feet. Never mind that they probably weight about two hundred pounds with armour and are charging at you. All you need is a swift boot and you're done. The entire time I found it easier to simply boot my opponent into a suitable trap, and believe me they're everywhere! It's like the creators of the game had an acid trip after watching Home Alone and Lord of Rings one after another, and this was the result.

Ultimately it all feels a little bit clunky and unwieldy. Still, there's the usual "this is a demo and does not reflect the final product so can we please have your money now please" disclaimer plastered on it. Then again I've yet to know a game that's significantly different from it's demo counterpart, especially in regards to PC games, so I'm not too hopeful.

Yamaneko
09-09-2006, 03:46 AM
I thought it was awesome. The combat system in Oblivion should have been what Dark Messiah is. I like the whole warrior/mage/assassin approach to level design. I will be picking up this game (or downloading it through Steam) when it comes out.

I wish I could say the same for the multiplayer though. The dynamic between warrior/mage/assassin doesn't really work online and it left me feeling like I'd just played a Source mod. Hopefully it can be fixed.