PDA

View Full Version : Defeating a certain Dragon Quest 8 boss *spoilers*

Erdrick Holmes
09-09-2006, 10:01 PM
How the hell do I kill Empyrea? This thing can't fricken take damage. What's the rutine to defeat this sucker.

My character levels and equips

Hero: 35
Miricle Sword
Dragon Shield
Ring of Clarity
Pirate's Hat
Magic Armour

Yangus: 33
Iron Headgear
Flame Shield
Bandit Axe
Slime Earrings
Bandit's mail

Jessica: 32
Spiked Steel Whip
Flame Shield
Magical Hat
Magic Bikini
Gold Ring

Angelo: 34
Magic Armours
Mighty Armlet
Power Shield
Mythril Helm
Mercury's Rapier

Vivisteiner
09-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Have you got a monster team yet? It can be a massive help. My one almost half killed Emyrea.

Make Angelo constantly heal as you attack with the others without psyching up. Kabuff can be useful but dont forget about the Wave of Ice which nullifies it.

Cast oomph on attackers. If you have executioner for Yangus use it. Have Jessica cast magic barrier. If Jessica has kafrizzle its good.

You could try psching up to 50 and hope to get away without a wave of ice.
Use the Hero as a spare healer when necessary.
She has about 1700HP

My order is usually Yangus, Hero, Jessica, Angelo - but you should experiment

If all else fails, train up some more.

This battle Is one of the hardest in the game,

Erdrick Holmes
09-09-2006, 10:35 PM
What level does Jessica learn Magic Barrier?

LunarWeaver
09-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I think Empyrea seems hard because of the high defense. Does Helm Splitter/ Sap work? I don't rememember.

I just used executioner over and over and I guess I got lucky because it was pretty easy for me.

Edit: I was somehow quite overleveled though.

Erdrick Holmes
09-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Sap doesn't work at all, I tried it.

Vivisteiner
09-09-2006, 10:55 PM
What level does Jessica learn Magic Barrier?

Improve her staff skills to 31. Its quite useful.
Bounce can be useful too for extra damage from reflecting Zap with 21 for staff skills.

And helm splitter/sap does not work.

Since you have kazing, abuse it with Angelo. Make sure Angelo survives and has decent MP. If you have stave abilities for Angelo which make him have more MP, equip a staff.

Zeromus_X
09-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I blasted her with all my strongest magic (and only did around 90 damage a spell...though Angelo's wind spells do alot more, he is needed for healing).

It took me about nine tries to finally put down the big bird.

Edit: I remember defense lowering skills to not work for me.

Edit: Bounce (and Mirror equipment) also helped. She was probably one of the toughest bosses for me.

Erdrick Holmes
09-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Damn, I've been putting Jessica's skill points into sex appeal and whips, (mostly Sex Appeal for reasons I think are obvious coming from me xD)

I'll try the monster team idea to soften it up, my team consists of a living Statue, a King Slime that knows Multiheal, and a Notso Macho.

Can the boss heal itself too?

LunarWeaver
09-09-2006, 11:23 PM
I don't remember if this boss heals or not, but I don't think so.

This boss does icewave right, the thing that ruins your tension and other support spells?

I would just have Angelo multiheal every round. You're bound to live if he does that.

Have Yangus repeatedly use Executioner again and again and nothing else. You will get critical hits going for 200 or so and that will add up seriously fast.

I would have Jessica/ Hero alternate Psyche Up, only going to 20 if the boss can nullify it (I say alternate so that way only one is ever nullified and both didn't waste a bunch of turns at the same time). I would psyche up Jessica and use either Twin Dragon Lash or if she has Kasizzle or whatever the hell the big Fireball that attacks single targets is called then go for that. I like Falcon Slash for Hero myself.

Angelo's MP should last long enough for you to win this way. If he starts to get low just make sure some characters have Magic Water on them.

Vivisteiner
09-09-2006, 11:25 PM
Stop getting sex appeal once you get puff puff. lol. Sex appeal isnt that good though.

So youve got the monster Talos. If youve got far enough in the Monster Arena, travel West from Minnies castle and fight Gigantes, he deals massive damage with critical hits. Also, go West of the dark ruins I think (down one of the paths) and fight and take along Skeledoid. Together theyll do a hell of a lot of damage.

The robots like Cybot and Nohi are good too as they get 2 turns a battle.

The boss can sometimes cast Mid-heal, but you shouldnt worry about it too much. When I fought against the boss, I fought until I was in trouble, then I got my monster teams and they killed her.

Zeromus_X
09-10-2006, 12:14 AM
It'll only use Mid-Heal when it's getting weak, fortunately.

Erdrick Holmes
09-10-2006, 03:00 AM
Ah, at least now I have a telltale sign of when it's dying. Midheal isn't much for healing for a boss this far, anyway.

Vivisteiner
09-10-2006, 09:53 AM
^^Thank God it doesnt have full-heal.

DJZen
09-12-2006, 09:24 PM
I forget the strategy I used but it was basically to make someone buff the party so the boss would cast ice wave and nullify one of her turns. It makes things so much easier when you don't have to worry about being attacked twice in one round. It's not that hard to beat her if you watch what she does and think about how to deal with it (and since this game is turn based, you can put a good amount of thought into it).

crazybayman
09-13-2006, 02:30 PM
I didn't find her that hard, at all. That was quite a while ago, when I fought her, though. Probably not long after the game came out.

Anyways, I guess I must've been over-levelled :)

I would say keep Hero and Yangus Oomphed up. Have Angelo heal, and jessica cast her deadliest spells.

DJZen
09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
If you cast Oomph she'll just counter with ice wave, there's less MP consuming ways to keep the party buffed.