PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Universe

KentaRawr!
09-10-2006, 02:13 AM
So, will you be getting it? Will you mostly play offline or online? What do you think of it so far? When will you be getting it if you will? And so on.

If you don't know what it is, here are some screens:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/psu/universe_17.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/psu/universe_13.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/psu/universe_18.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/images/screenshots/psu/universe_39.jpg

I'll be getting it once it comes out. I'll be playing mostly online, and I'll probably make a character in all blue named "Nico", as a reference to my most commonly used character on PSO.

Hows about you guys?

Dreddz
09-10-2006, 02:17 AM
Yes, yes I will. I had lots of fun playing PSO back on my DC. Hopefully we could all meet up at some point...

Roto13
09-10-2006, 02:21 AM
I didn't know you actually could play it offline...

Rostum
09-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Hey it looks pretty cool. What format is it going to be on? And when is it coming out?

LunarWeaver
09-10-2006, 03:39 AM
Yes, I'm dying for this. I love action-RPGs... And PSO was good, but there was no story of interest offline, which is what I play, and supposedly this one has a big story in its single player campaign. Since you can choose Ethan's class freely it also opens it up for lots of replay value.

Plus, his belly shirt has caused a predictable uproar that I find funny. Reading posts from fans so angry over a character model they refuse to buy the game is almost as entertaining as the game itself. I like his outfit, actually...But I'm just a big crazy asshole like that it seems :Oo:

My only gripe so far is that after watching some gameplay videos it seems like they kept the two worst things about PSO: You don't spin the camera freely, you constantly have to put it behind the character with a button everytime you turn around, and it seems you still lock-on automatically. I don't know those for sure, however, it's just what it looks like. Neither would be a huge deal to me, but I don't see why a right analog stick couldn't control a camera and why L1 can't be manual lock-on if that is indeed the way they have kept it.

Hey it looks pretty cool. What format is it going to be on? And when is it coming out?

It comes out on the Ps2 and 360, and I think it comes out October 24th.

ljkkjlcm9
09-10-2006, 04:18 AM
also PC, and 24th is correct. I don't normally get online RPGs because of the monthly fee, but because of the free choice dual wielding, I may get this game, especially with my love of the first one. And as long as I can play the offline portion without the online portion, when I don't want to pay for online anymore, it may be very well worth the purchase.

Dual wielding sabers/handguns, first person view for guns. This game will definitely be good

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
09-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Yes, PSU actually has a greater focus on the single player this time around. You don't have to play the online mode at all, so it's not requred (unlike the Xbox version of PSO).

I haven't decided whether I'll get this for PC or 360 yet. Do we know if we'll be able to connect between systems, like on FFXI?

Erdrick Holmes
09-10-2006, 03:18 PM
This is going to be the best fucking game ever made.

I'll probably play single player for the first few years or so, since i've waited years for a new single player PS experience.

JK-Trix- as far as I know the online servers will be cross platform, so people with the PC, PS2, or 360 versions will be playing online all in the same server. Plus I think it will be worldwide too, like PSO was, so you can play it with people from Japan, Europe, China, Brazil, anywhere. Plus it's got a text translation dealy so it can translate whatever other players type on their screen from their native language to your own on your own screen.

starseeker
09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Sounds cool, I may get that when it comes out in the UK.

KentaRawr!
09-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I didn't know you actually could play it offline...

o_o Indeed, you can. The offline mode is supposed to be like a regular ol' action RPG. The online mode is more similar to the PSO games, but still has it's differences. There's also an offline mode that's supposed to be similar to the online mode, but obviously is offline. >.>

Edit: Oh, and LunarWeaver, if you look at the "Running around the lobby" video on IGN, then it starts out with the player moving the camera every which way. o.o

Edit 2: Aha! This is something you should probably look at. It's in Japanese, but it shows off the online mode of PSU. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ytLGG2hYU&mode=related&search=

Saku
09-11-2006, 02:16 AM
I'm in university... but I plan on spending all my food money on PSU as soon as it comes out in October. I'll prolly spend most of my time offline cause I'd be too busy to log online often... but I'll prolly set aside a day specifically for PSU.

LunarWeaver
09-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Edit: Oh, and LunarWeaver, if you look at the "Running around the lobby" video on IGN, then it starts out with the player moving the camera every which way. o.o

Dear God yes ;_; Happy tears for all!

Erdrick Holmes
09-11-2006, 03:26 AM
Am I the only one who thought PSO's camera was just fine?

KentaRawr!
09-11-2006, 09:44 PM

While I got used to it very quickly, I think it would have been better if you could've changed the camera angle without having to face the direction you wanted to look.

oddler
09-11-2006, 10:08 PM

While I got used to it very quickly, I think it would have been better if you could've changed the camera angle without having to face the direction you wanted to look.

I'm with Holmes on this one. I thought it was fine the way it was. I'll probably be a little freaked out if it does indeed change.

I'll be getting it for PC the day it comes out, hopefully.
Everyone from the EoFF Forums should meet up regularly online!
All your PSU are belong to us.

LunarWeaver
09-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't hate PSO's camera... It's functional enough, and back then it was perfectly fine. But it's something you have to get used to. And I don't see any reason to get used to a camera these days.

JKTrix
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Import review and bunch o' videos

http://www.gamebrink.com/playstation-2/1128-Phantasy_Star_Universe-reviews.html

bipper
09-13-2006, 02:13 PM
freakin werd. This game will pwn my life me noob.

LunarWeaver
09-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Sweet deal :excited: They said some good things. This game looks so amazing, I cannot wait for it. Sounds like Forces got the gip again, but I'll be one anyway. I mean their name is 'Force,' who wouldn't want to be that?

I'm so happy they said there's so many cutscenes in offline it even compares to Xenosaga. I love cutscenes so much it's ridiculous <3.

Zeldy
09-13-2006, 05:01 PM
My brother has it, and absoloutly loves it. He ordered it from Japan.

I havnt actually tried it yet, Its in Japanese! Its like.. he dosn't even know the story, as he dosn't understand, but it looks awesome.

edczxcvbnm
09-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I will get this game...when I eventually get a 360 a few years from now.