PDA

View Full Version : PS2 online using a wireless laptop.

Dreddz
09-10-2006, 07:09 PM
I miss playing my PS2 online, I havent in ages as I was forced to move my PS2 from my study where my modem was. I have access to the internet in my room ( where my PS2 sits ) with my laptop using a wireless connection. I want to know how to use my laptop to get my PS2 online. I tried following this guide http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/118/62/, but had no luck. I follow what it says, but still have no luck connecting my PS2 online. It says

If it did not work, make sure your PC's network settings are still correct for you to access the internet on the bridge. (You will have to use the Network Bridge to set TCP/IP settings etc. as the two network cards have effectively been combined as one, and use the same IP address and settings.

I dont understand what its asking me to do.

Anyone able to solve my problem ?

Shoeberto
09-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I'd wager that your problem is that you're using a straight-through ethernet cable, not a crossover.

Dreddz
09-10-2006, 08:17 PM
No, im using a cross over cable. One thing I noticed, is when the person on the site opens his network connections, it says that he has both a wireless and local area connection, how is this possible if his laptop isnt near his router ?

Shoeberto
09-10-2006, 08:28 PM
His wireless connection would be connecting to his router, and his wired connection would be going to his PS2.

Dreddz
09-14-2006, 05:25 PM
But when I plug the cord into the PS2, I still dont get a connection ?

o_O
09-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Sounds like the PS2 isn't acquiring a local IP from your router.

When you set up the bridge, can you access the interweb on your laptop?
If you can't, that likely means there is an IP clash somewhere.
If you have the PS2 network test disc, does it give you any relevant info?

A few points though:
You need to disable Windows Firewall and Connection Sharing on the adapter that is bridged - in this case, your wireless network connection.
You need to be in the Admin account of Windows.

If you can't get the connection going, find out what IP the PS2 is using (bridged connection properties) and whether or not it is
a) In your router's available range and
b) If it acquires a gateway as well.

No, im using a cross over cable. One thing I noticed, is when the person on the site opens his network connections, it says that he has both a wireless and local area connection, how is this possible if his laptop isnt near his router ?

The two are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes they don't like to be connected together, depending on the hardware and on the router.

The Shoeless Hobo
09-23-2006, 03:32 PM
I connect my 360 to live by connecting a Ethernet cable into into my 360 which connects to the Ethernet port in my laptop. In "network Connections" I click on the "Wireless Internet Connection" icon and click on the "Advanced" tab and then I tick the "allow other users to connect through this computers internet connection." and then click "ok".