PDA

View Full Version : EoFF Idol - Judges Needed

Captain Maxx Power
09-10-2006, 10:30 PM
EDIT: I'm currently in the process of getting Judges for the contest. If you're interested check the post below about it (or alternatively just click on the link in my sig to be sent straight there).

In short;

JUDGES NEEDED. APPLY WITHIN.

Tavrobel
09-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Probably not, but chances are, I would suspect that Rye would end up winning. Also, there's the concern of having recordings of whole songs. they'd either be too large to host here, or the quality would be so poor that when someone hits a high note, it would hurt the ears if you actually heard it.

Couldn't hurt to try if you can organize it. Pirates always win.

Madame Adequate
09-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Let's just give Rye the win and save ourselves the hassle/drama.

daggertrepe
09-10-2006, 11:33 PM
We can't just assume that Rye will win! There could be other great singers on this site, including mwa, but whatever. lol. It just wouldn't work out.

~*~Celes~*~
09-10-2006, 11:35 PM
I'd be all for it :) Sounds like a pretty good idea.

Psychotic
09-10-2006, 11:35 PM
BoB would win. No doubt in my mind.

Araciel
09-10-2006, 11:52 PM
i would be in but i have no mic and therefore no means of recording anything on my computer

Shiny
09-11-2006, 12:31 AM
I thought a rap competition would be a good idea, but Rocket Edge would win so that wouldn't be fair. A singing competition would be interesting though. If enough people are willing and able to compete then I don't see why it would be a problem. I think it might be amusing seeing some members try to sing. :jess:

daggertrepe
09-11-2006, 12:38 AM
lol yes. :)

Captain Maxx Power
09-11-2006, 12:44 AM
i would be in but i have no mic and therefore no means of recording anything on my computer

O no I'm not talking about recording. I'm talking about weekly live shows on which people vote, probably over something like TeamSpeak or somesuch. When I say EoFF Idol, I MEAN EoFF Idol, not just "send in a song and see who votes as the best", the whole shebang - auditions, voting off each week, themed weeks. It's a pretty big idea, but hey, I want something that people are really going to remember me by on this site, not just Pirate Red Magery or Edwardness. Plus it'd be cool to give back something.

DK
09-11-2006, 01:20 AM
BoB would win. No doubt in my mind.

He's nothing on his own.

Raistlin
09-11-2006, 01:57 AM
I have to say, I think RSL's got this one covered.

Yuna_wannabe
09-11-2006, 03:58 AM
I wsould love it as long as i got to participate

Kirobaito
09-11-2006, 04:09 AM
I would make some sort of an attempt to participate, as long as it allows for secondary instruments to be played by the participant, an element whose lack is completely destructive to the joke that is American Idol.

tan
09-11-2006, 04:14 AM

O no I'm not talking about recording. I'm talking about weekly live shows on which people vote, probably over something like TeamSpeak or somesuch. When I say EoFF Idol, I MEAN EoFF Idol, not just "send in a song and see who votes as the best", the whole shebang - auditions, voting off each week, themed weeks. It's a pretty big idea, but hey, I want something that people are really going to remember me by on this site, not just Pirate Red Magery or Edwardness. Plus it'd be cool to give back something.
Trust me, hoping for too much like this is not a wise idea (coming from myself, EoFF's Top Artist's competition runner). I think that if you don't do auditions and you get the public (of EoFF, obviously =P) to know about it, it'll do really well, you just can't expect it to run for like two months because people are going to drop out. Maybe just skip the auditions and let anyone join who wants to, and if there turns out to be too many people (which will be a good thing) narrow it down to about 6-8 after the first week's elimination. If you do do 12, then eliminate 2 people each week, because a 6-week competition will still be very popular and most of the contestants will not drop out immediately. Just some suggestions :)

Maybe you could even include composed music into the competition as well? There aren't enough composers around here to do their own little competition. Or maybe just ask one of the guitar players around here to do a track, and then the contestants have to write lyrics and perform to the song that was composed. But, whatever. It's your competition. You can do whatever you want :D

Captain Maxx Power
09-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I would make some sort of an attempt to participate, as long as it allows for secondary instruments to be played by the participant, an element whose lack is completely destructive to the joke that is American Idol.

But then playing an instrument would become mandatory, since all contestants are meant to be on level ground, and I'm not prepared to isolate anyone in such a manner.

Maybe you could even include composed music into the competition as well? There aren't enough composers around here to do their own little competition. Or maybe just ask one of the guitar players around here to do a track, and then the contestants have to write lyrics and perform to the song that was composed. But, whatever. It's your competition. You can do whatever you want :D

Again, a problem since do I have a seperate category for song writers, lyric writers, singers and lyric writers etc. etc. or do I throw them all together? It's like comparing people doing triple jump to people doing long jump - same end, different techniques, different results, no direct comparison. I'm sure there are plenty of ways for those who do write their own musical material to show off their artisitic talents, but as you say there's not enough of them to constitute their own competition.

My main concern at the moment is that if I allow just anyone to join in then it's going to become a popularity contest (i.e. everyone will end up voting for Rye or Loony BoB or somesuch), which isn't the point. It's why I want to have some kind of pre-screening process beforehand. However if I do that on my own I'll get accused of rigging the contest or playing favourites, hence why I'd like other people with which to decide who would be able to compete. The crux of the competition is meant to be around live performing as oppose to pre-recorded stuff. Pre-recorded material can be redone again and again, be edited, mixed etc. Not that I'm saying that the people who would enter would be dishonest, but the cool idea (at least I think) of the competition would be to get people to perform live. A low-quality recording over TeamSpeak converted to mp3 wouldn't be too large to download, plus people will be more than welcome to hear people on the server itself. If however you think it would just fall flat on it's arse feel free to say so. Heaven knows that you can't start up something this big on your own, be it some faux-pas elections or nonsensical awards. That'd just be impossible.

Lost Number
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM
It sounds a great idea. I am no singer myself...ask anyone who has heard me. But it would be good. Some sort of pre-scening is nessecary, prefferably done by a panel, preferrably by people who can resist the temptation to put BoB through for the sake of it. Also, live singing will severly limit the amount of people who can enter. A lot of good singers dont have mics, except on things like mp3 players with recording function. Its a managerial nightmare, Maxx, but if anyone can do it, its you Capt'n. You might need a trusted fellow pirate and red mage to help you out with the early judging*nod nod wink wink*.

Christmas
09-11-2006, 05:00 PM
SHASHA will win.

Polaris
09-11-2006, 05:02 PM
SHASHA will win.

My God I bet Christmas will burn this place if SHASHA doesn't win :d kiddin'... anyway I'd love to enter but I only have my mp3 player to record my oice and trsut me it has nothing to do with the original... seems like I had been drinking vodka all night

Resha
09-11-2006, 05:14 PM
MASMAS will win.

Passionate. Fiery. She's out to make a statement. Move over, Kurt Cobain. :)

Araciel
09-11-2006, 05:15 PM
either way i'm out :(

Captain Maxx Power
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
If it will be a problem for people to perform "live", I will permit self-recordings on the grounds that you do NOT edit your performance in anyway. I can't stop you from doing it over and over, but any kind of slicing/chopping to get certain notes right and I'll be extremely miffed.

As for panel "experts", I'd hope that people would volunteer for the job. If you have experience working in the music industry, or are an avid singer yourself, then get in touch with me with your credentials and a short paragraph explaining why you would be suited for judging. It'll be standard "listen to sample, yes or no, need a majority consensus to allow a contestant through". These people will also need to comment on any concurrent "performances", as well as decide what a given week's theme will be.

Shiny
09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
If it will be a problem for people to perform "live", I will permit self-recordings on the grounds that you do NOT edit your performance in anyway.
I think that would be best since I don't have a webcam, or anything like that.

Rocket Edge
09-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Cool idea, i won't be entering myself, but i'll be interested to see how this pan's out.

Sergeant Hartman
09-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Who will be the judges for the auditions?

Polaris
09-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Someone who understands music?

Shauna
09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
SHASHA will win.

I agree. =D Pooja is an awesome singer. Unlike a certain Scottish person called Shauna. :shifty:

Captain Maxx Power
09-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Who will be the judges for the auditions?

That's what the link in my sig is about. The post I made before this is basically a call for anyone who wants to be a judge to contact me, via PM, about the position. I don't want to do it on my own, nor do I want to just pick several people just because I'm friends with them (sorry LN). Once we get down to the "Final 12" the outcome will be based purely upon the votes of the EoFF Community, and the judges, like those found on Idol, will be on hand to offer criticism/praise.

Rye
09-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Wow, thank you guys! :)

With this, I think every submission would need to be a capella. I don't know about you, but I think it's a true mark of a singer to be able to hold their own as a singer without accompaniment.

Also, like others said, mics are a prime concern. My mic is not able to handle my high notes, and as I'm a soprano 1, this is a problem. xD It's a bad mic in general. I would like to join, but I am worried about this. And I think for each submission, it should be like, a minute long of a song. A full song can be difficult, and too short isn't good. Just some ideas. :)

So, I may join. :jess:

EDIT: Also, it'd be nice if the judges would have at least some knowledge of singing. Diction, breath support, intotation, vibrato, range, etc. So they can give better insight, y'know.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-12-2006, 02:04 AM
My dreams of being simon have come true. I would love to fuckin judge.

Kirobaito
09-12-2006, 02:09 AM
Wow, thank you guys! :)

With this, I think every submission would need to be a capella. I don't know about you, but I think it's a true mark of a singer to be able to hold their own as a singer without accompaniment.

Also, like others said, mics are a prime concern. My mic is not able to handle my high notes, and as I'm a soprano 1, this is a problem. xD It's a bad mic in general. I would like to join, but I am worried about this. And I think for each submission, it should be like, a minute long of a song. A full song can be difficult, and too short isn't good. Just some ideas. :)

So, I may join. :jess:

EDIT: Also, it'd be nice if the judges would have at least some knowledge of singing. Diction, breath support, intotation, vibrato, range, etc. So they can give better insight, y'know.
I disagree. I think it would display much more skill to be able to sing while doing something else at the same time.

Aralith
09-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Well, I'd love to take part in this, as a singer that is. I'm not the best of a judge on anything, music or otherwise. But I would definitely like to take part as a singer.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-12-2006, 02:15 AM
I may not have the best music knowledge but I'd know some and I have a neutral mind. No "I'm leaving you because I like you" sort of thing. Im gonna be real. Like simon.

Jebus
09-12-2006, 02:28 AM
Well, considering I'm completely tonedeaf without an instrument behind me, looks like I won't be singing. If you still need a judge though, I'm up for it.

Doomie
09-12-2006, 02:31 AM
I haven't read the entire thread or if you're still hiring Judges, but I've been told I look like the Paula/Simon/Randy love-child.

Rase
09-12-2006, 05:35 AM
While I may not be the best singer, I'd be happy to do this until I get voted out. However, like most, I don't really have the means to do it live, and considering the vast amount of geography that separates some EoFFers, it seems like it'd be a nightmare trying to coordinate a time when everyone could get together, and then there's always the chance of something coming up for someone. While your concerns about it are valid and understandable, I personally think that allowing them to submit a recording would be more effective.

Khaotic
09-12-2006, 06:19 AM
I wouldn't mind judging.

Captain Maxx Power
09-12-2006, 11:46 AM
IMPORTANT

Please please please PLEASE contact me VIA A PM if you wish to judge, NOT JUST IN THIS THREAD. A quick note saying "I'd like to be judge" doesn't instill me with confidence, nor does it give me a tangible list of who's actually serious. So please, PM ME WITH A SHORT PARAGRAPH EXPLAINING YOUR BACKGROUND IN MUSIC AND WHY YOU SHOULD BE A JUDGE. Those who are wanting to sing just hold your horses until we have some judges.

And incidentally all songs performed (at least in one go) will only consist of one verse and one chorus, possibly two choruses. Later rounds may require people to sing two or more songs, mainly to pad it out when we're down to only four or so people. Any bad equipment you all may have isn't really my concern. I'm not going to start distributing decent microphones to everyone who wishes to participate. I suggest getting hold of some good recording equipment now so that when we do start taking in auditionees/start the main rounds you can prove to us just how good your voice really is.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-12-2006, 12:04 PM
If you're in desperate need of filling out one last place then I could be a judge even though I know jack about vocals. Think of me as half Sharon Osbourne (as in knowing bugger all about judging) and half Simon Cowell (as in sending antagonizing, offending and sometimes witty comments).

Lost Number
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
*sigh* mesa no being a judge? I was joking anyways, im happy listening to everyone else making fools of themselves. I also think, in the spirit of the competition, the "judges" should post their comments about a given contestant not just to them, but to us all. Though my dream of being the next Louis Walsh is broken, we have to see who steps up as a Simon Cowell.