PDA

View Full Version : Why I love ancient history

fantasyjunkie
09-11-2006, 07:05 AM
I love ancient history. The things that people have done is just freakin incredible! Right now I'm reading about the Greek and Persian war. 300 spartans held off an army of possibly a million men in a mountain pass. When told that the Persian arrows would blot out the sun they replied that they would then fight in the shade! Smurfing incredible.
Then there was Alexander the Great taking a small army from an obscure mountain nation to conquer the world's superpower. He went all the way from Macedonia to all the way to the Indus river near India!
And Hannibal crossing the Alps with Elephants to whoop the Romans. And Julius Ceaser using a tiny army to conquer all of Gaul and making himself dictator in the process.
The world was just huge back then and men did big things on a regular basis. Fiction can just not even begin to compare to real life in the ancient world.

Mo-Nercy
09-11-2006, 11:11 AM
I like ancient history too. It was my best subject throughout high school and I've continued to do it in uni. There's that element of fiction in ancient history which is what makes it so initially interesting, and then there's the fun of taking on the role of the historiographer, looking through different sources and finding the unbiased truth behind the authors.. btw

The Spartans didn't hold off the Persians at Thermopylae. They got owned. Probably because there were only 300 of them.

Julius Caeser becoming sole consul and dictator can be perceived as a bad thing. It put an end to the Roman Republic, a mixed constitution that gave the people a voice in how their lives were run.

black orb
09-11-2006, 11:14 AM
>>> I learn all about the ancient egypt just watching Yugioh..

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I won a prize in primary school for my project on the Ancient Greeks. One of the gods they worshipped had no clothes on

I Took the Red Pill
09-11-2006, 11:43 AM
It interests me to a degree too. I'm blown away by the mathematical discoveries the ancients (Greeks especially) made.

Novaris
09-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Ancient Egypt is what has been my interest for 10 years.

licence
09-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Ancient history is really interesting. The mythology that those nations had as well was brilliant. Especially Greek mythology.

Melkor_
09-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Παρελθετο απ'εμου το ποτηριον τουτο ανθρωποι ποταποι

Christmas
09-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I learn China History by playing Romance of The Three kingdoms and Dynasty Warriors. :bigsmile:

Resha
09-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I love Modern History~ The Cold War in particular. Hell, I love the Cold War. :love: It's so interesting. I love History. Best subject on earth.

Arrianna
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I have always loved ancient history. Then I started learning the stuff that comes in between then and now and the world started making alot more sense. It's a chain of events that often started 3000+ years ago. If you don't know the beginning you can't see the reason for the end.

Old Manus
09-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Ancient History is only cool because Age of Empires made it so.

Araciel
09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
i was interested in mythology first because of harryhousen (sp?) movies...after that i was hooked and in school i absorbed as much knowledge on ancient cultures as eyewitness books would give me...highschool i took all academics and ancient history was the best because the course focused on how the mythologies of the cultures tied into the lives of the people of the age...but i have always been more interested in the common man living in the time of ceasar or alexander or khufu or any of them, not the famous people...

bipper
09-11-2006, 07:00 PM

and your mom... LOL

Rocket Edge
09-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I love to hear about ancient Egypt, it's so interesting. Whenever there's a documentry on T.V. about it i always watch it. In general i'm baffled how some of the things that happened in the past, as i said, very interesting.

...And your right about Age of Empire's. :p

Breine
09-11-2006, 07:48 PM
The ancient history of Greece and Egypt is exciting. Greek mythology has always been a big interest of mine too :holmes:

Vikeve
09-11-2006, 08:30 PM
I passed ancient history! i loved that clas i had the best teacher and a lot of friends that i don't normally talk to and the crazy stuff they did back then is amazing it cool. this thread made me happy.

Roto13
09-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I like reading about how life was in general back then. I'm not all that interested by ancient wars.

Dreddz
09-11-2006, 09:36 PM
People like Ancient History ?

I thought you lot were made up.....

Tavrobel
09-11-2006, 09:54 PM

Das truth.

fantasyjunkie
09-12-2006, 07:29 AM
I like ancient history too. It was my best subject throughout high school and I've continued to do it in uni. There's that element of fiction in ancient history which is what makes it so initially interesting, and then there's the fun of taking on the role of the historiographer, looking through different sources and finding the unbiased truth behind the authors.. btw

The Spartans didn't hold off the Persians at Thermopylae. They got owned. Probably because there were only 300 of them.

Julius Caeser becoming sole consul and dictator can be perceived as a bad thing. It put an end to the Roman Republic, a mixed constitution that gave the people a voice in how their lives were run.
Bah! I forgot to put in the part about the Spartans eventually losing after 3 days, but come on, 300 men holding off hundreds of thousands for 3 days? Sorry for the mix up, I was just trying to explain that the deeds people back then were why I love Ancient History. :)

boris no no
09-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Historys always fun to look up, but I prefer the history of the earth rather then the people in it!
There were no people.. nothing! on the earth for millions of years whilst it was forming, volcanoes creating mountains and oceans forming... awesome

Geology yeay!

licence
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Bah! I forgot to put in the part about the Spartans eventually losing after 3 days, but come on, 300 men holding off hundreds of thousands for 3 days? Sorry for the mix up, I was just trying to explain that the deeds people back then were why I love Ancient History. :)

To put it straight, things like that don't just happen in ancient times. I'm sure you could look into WWII and WWI and see things like that. Also theres a story from the Zulu war, I think 100 men held back the Zulu's who eventually gave up their attack on the out post and left.