PDA

View Full Version : PSP

The Fat Bioware Nerd
09-11-2006, 07:21 AM
Hey what's the PSP like is there any good games on that system? I never purchased a PSP before because it's too expensive and it's probaby not worth it. I like the fact that the PSP can play those little DVDs but I haven't seen any games on Sony's hand held that I'd like and would want to play.

ValkyrieWing
09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
The only reason I'd buy a PSP would be to play Valkyrie Profile. :)

JKTrix
09-11-2006, 08:18 AM
A game that's already been out for years.

That's probably one of the biggest issues with the PSP, most of its 'good' games are games that you may have already played to death on one of its older brothers. Some of the ports don't even work all that well because there isn't a 2nd analog nub. If you were to get a list of the best games you can get for the PSP right now, 80% of them you could probably find the exact same game (or something similar to it) on a different system. Tekken, Guilty Gear, Burnout, Mega Man, Valkyrie Profile... heck, even Lumines is coming out for PS2 and 360. There are a few stand-out original games: like Exit, LocoRoco and Daxter, but currently they're too few and far between.

If the only thing you like about the PSP is the UMD movies, then you're in it for the wrong reasons. The UMD format has pretty much failed for anything outside of games, and it seems only Sony themselves is still supporting it for their own movies.

However, if you don't really intend to get a lot of games for it, the homebrew scene for the PSP is pretty awesome. Most of the homebrew applicatons can only run on a certain firmware version, and most of the newer PSP games require you to upgrade past that version in order to play them, so it's a bit of a trade-off depending how deep into the 'hax you want to go.

If you just want a game system with tons of great games that are usually unique and fresh, then the DS is the way to go. Plus the battery life is way longer.

Rostum
09-11-2006, 08:19 AM
I think I'd get it just for Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, and Crisis Core -- or whatever FF7 game was coming out on it.

Shlup
09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
For PSP I have Me and My Katamari, Lumines, and Grand Theft Auto, all of which are very good games. I mostly use my PSP for it's other features though: video and music. Rather than buy the UMD DVDs, I just put video on my 1GB memory stick.

So, basically, I have a DS Lite for the games and a PSP for the features. And I carry then both in my purse at all times with my cell phone and digital camera because I'm a technology whore. xP

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Out
Lumines
Metal Gear AC!D
Metal Gear AC!D˛
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed (admittedly a collection of ports, but they're arcade-perfect ports of some great games, and there's twenty of them)
Gradius Collection (worthwhile just for Gradius Gaiden, a 2D aesthetic masterpiece of Symphony of the Night proportions, and previously unreleased outside of Japan)
LocoRoco
Upcoming
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Slug Anthology (again, there's something to be said for having all the Metal Slug games in one portable place)
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded

heck, even Lumines is coming out for PS2 and 360.I get the feeling that Lumines, like Tetris, will always be better when it's portable.

The Shoeless Hobo
09-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Syphon Filter. :)

Duncan
09-11-2006, 04:08 PM
If you are looking for RPGs on PSP that are original then you can get Legend of Heroes I and II, Blade Dancer, and Kingdom of Paradise. None of them are particularly ground breaking and are pretty much by the numbers RPGs (which isn't necessarily a bad thing in my opinion) but if you want some RPG on the go they might fit the bill. As for what available on other platforms you can also get VP: Lenneth which is a remake but if you've never played it before, you're going to probably spend as much trying to get a new copy of the PS version of VP (http://cgi.ebay.com/Valkyrie-Profile-PS1-Playstation-NEW-SEALED_W0QQitemZ280025214365QQihZ018QQcategoryZ62053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)as you are if you just by a PSP and VP:Lenneth. Ys: The Ark of whatever-it's-called was also released on the PSP and from what I've read is virtually identical to it's PS2 counterpart.

I also use my PSP for music when I'm on the go. Nice for you car if you don't want to deal with CDs. You can get an FM adapter for the PSP so it will broadcast on your radio.

If you've got a wireless network at your house you can also setup your PSP to connect to it for wireless web browsing if that interests you. I have it setup but for the most part I never use it except to connect to the PSP website to pull down wallpapers and such.

I have both a PSP and a DS and go back and forth on which I like better. DS is nice as you've got not only the DS titles but you can play the entire GBA library as well (in fact I am currently playing Tales of Phantasia on my DS) however, I prefer the feel of the PSP when playing games, the screen is bigger, and I don't feel that the controls are quite as cramped. Graphics in my opinion are a bit better on the PSP as well.

I'm also looking forward to the release of Tales of Eternia (remake of ToDII in the US), Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (exclusive), and Wild Arms Crossfire (exclusive)

Erdrick Holmes
09-11-2006, 04:09 PM
In my opinion the PSP has the worst game library of any platform ever made, even worse than a 3DO. It's only got a handful of good games, the rest are boring racing games.

Dreddz
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
The PSP has a decent amount of games, I personally play mine all the time.

I found the best game to be Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, then Tekken. Both amazing games and are reason enough to buy a PSP.

Im sorta sick of people that still say the PSP has nothing going for it, and has a lack luster library of games. The PSP has a strong line-up and already has games like Valkyrie Profile, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Tekken DR, Guilty Gear Judgement, Wipeout Pure and Lumines.

And the future line-up looks just as promising, I say get one.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
09-11-2006, 05:32 PM
No I don't think I should buy a PSP I'd rather save up my money and buy Mass Effect when it comes out. And maybe KOTOR III if it's a good game...I was pretty disappointed with the last KOTOR. So I'm going to read the reviews first before I purchase the next one.

Raebus
09-11-2006, 07:35 PM

I found the best game to be Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, then Tekken. Both amazing games and are reason enough to buy a PSP.

Im sorta sick of people that still say the PSP has nothing going for it, and has a lack luster library of games. The PSP has a strong line-up and already has games like Valkyrie Profile, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Tekken DR, Guilty Gear Judgement, Wipeout Pure and Lumines.

A lacklustre library of games isnt the problem, they're good but people have already played them on other formats/consoles.

Rengori
09-12-2006, 12:06 AM
If you want good games go for a DS. You'll save a lot of money for better games.

Those movies, are a waste of space really, and a lot of companies are stopping production of UMD movies due to poor sales. If you're going to put them on a memory stick be prepared to fork over $100+.

Zeromus_X
09-12-2006, 12:10 AM
If I did have a PSP, I'd definitely get Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth to compare it to the original.

Other than that, Mega Man: Powered up and Mega Man X Maverick Hunter look appealing.

fantasyjunkie
09-12-2006, 07:33 AM
In my opinion the PSP has the worst game library of any platform ever made, even worse than a 3DO. It's only got a handful of good games, the rest are boring racing games.

I have to agree with this one. I love my PSP and I am very glad that I bought it but the games leave something to be desired. I use mine for music, pictures and videos on my 1gb card.

Znake
09-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Sony are apparantly going to release 7000 PSone titles in the near future, availible for download on the PSP, Including Silent Hill, Castlevania, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX. I know most people have already played these games, and some people hate playing FF games on Handhelds, but for me, those and the few good games already availible for the PSP, will be the reason I get one. Plus the price is going down, and there's better packages availible now.

Roto13
09-12-2006, 07:54 PM
7000 PSone titles

:screwy:

Dreddz
09-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Im especially excited for the PSone emulator, I cant think of anything better than playing 20 or so minutes on FFVII right before bed :)

KentaRawr!
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM

As much as I DON'T want a PSP, I disagree with this statement. The N-Gage easily has the worst game library ever.

Znake
09-13-2006, 08:19 AM
7000 PSone titles

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=142266

Setzer Gabianni
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM

I'm also sick of people labelling the DS as just a kids console, and saying it's basically /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gife with nothing going on it, so I can kinda sympathasise with you.

The PSP and DS have the same amount of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif games really - you always have these ones based on movies, rubbish sports games, so they both kinda have some good titles, and bad ones. But a lot of the PSP games are similar to PS2 titles, and I just seem to find that the new games for the DS are just something which has tickled my fancy.

John, what type of games do you like in general?

~Setzer Gabbiani

The Fat Bioware Nerd
09-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I use to only like RPGs but now I'm starting to buy other games too. I recently bought a copy of Fight Night Round Three. When I get some money I plan on buying Need For Speed Most Wanted, Lego Star Wars II, Saint's Row, and Bully...But I still like RPGs I plan on getting Enchanted Arms, Final Fantasy XII, and Final Fantasy III.

Rainecloud
09-13-2006, 06:22 PM
As a former PSP owner, here are my valid opinions.

- Rubbish battery life (5 hours ish)
- Decidedly average games (with a few exceptions)
- Bad design (gets dirty easily, quite flimsy)
- Far too fiddly and awkward
- Data corruptions happen far too often for my liking

I could go on, but I won't.

Roto13
09-13-2006, 10:51 PM
7000 PSone titles

Since when are there 7000 PS1 games?

Rase
09-13-2006, 11:32 PM
7000 PSone titles

Since when are there 7000 PS1 games?
There aren't, at least if this (http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-playstation-games) site is any indication (it has about 2190 games on its list counting the one's lettered in the attachment , a number of which are Japan-only). So yeah, that seems like a rather questionable story (read: hoax). Unless Sony just doesn't know how many games it actually has for the PS1, and just decided to make up a big impressive number.