PDA

View Full Version : English or Japanese??

Emerald weapon
09-11-2006, 10:19 PM
I finally saw it in English and to be anost their voices made me cringe,they were totally diffrent from what i had in mind especailly vincints,so i ask you's this whats better??for me its japanese

Zeromus_X
09-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I thought they did a good job on both versions.

Except...Mena Suvari. :(

Materia Hunter Yuffie
09-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I enjoyed both versions. Except Aeris in English... bleh too high pitched. I thought the English people did a good job. Especially Steve Burton (Cloud) and Quinten Flynn (Reno). Sephiroth's voice I thought was better in Japanese, but George Newburn did an okay job.

Zeromus_X
09-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah, Mena sounds like a robot. :(

Xurts
09-11-2006, 11:40 PM
I haven't even listened to it in Japanese yet, and probably never will unless I learn it. Subtitles suck. English ftw.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
jappanesse voices were better

PerpetualBurn
09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Usually I watch films in their original language, and incidentally that's how I first saw Advent Children. However, it really is advantageous to see a film like this when you can take in the stunning animation and backdrops and start to enjoy the action sequences without the slight distraction of subtitles.

For live action though, subtitles really don't bother me and dubbing is almost exclusively awful.

Sefie1999AD
09-14-2006, 05:11 PM

That sounds about right. I still haven't fully watched the English version of the movie (I have it and I've watched parts of it, but not the whole movie), but I think I'm just too used to the Japanese version. The English translation is done well, I'll have to say, but I'm not sure about some of the voice acting. Steve Burton isn't bad at Cloud, but I think he sounds somewhat too high-pitched at times, at least compared to what I've used to hear in the English version of KH1 and the Japanese version of FFVII AC. I didn't really like Sephiroth's English voice in AC. It sounded quite bad, and I prefer his Japanese voice. Well, even Lance Bass did a better job as Sephiroth, IMHO. I'll probably comment more when I've watched the English version.

Ryushikaze
09-14-2006, 09:26 PM

That's because Aerith was a robot. It was supposed to be a spoiler for the upcoming EC game, but you figured it out.

Roto13
09-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I prefer it in English because I don't understand Japanese so it's more practicle.

I don't, however, like "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally".

LunarWeaver
09-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I thought the English dub was very good. They were all capable voice actors and I thought they fit their parts perfectly fine. Since I liked the English dub I see no reason to watch it in Japanese with subs just for the sake of it.

Shiny
09-16-2006, 01:38 AM
I prefer it in English because I don't understand Japanese so it's more practicle.

I don't, however, like "Dilly Dally Shilly Shally".
Yup, that's pretty much what I was going to say. But, I'd also like to add that some of the Japanese female voices annoyed me at times.

Meat Puppet
09-16-2006, 01:44 AM
I've only watched it in Japanese and I had no idea what was happening. I'm going to say that the English version would be better for people like me.

Sefie1999AD
09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
I've only watched it in Japanese and I had no idea what was happening. I'm going to say that the English version would be better for people like me.

That's why I have subtitles on. :D Actually, both the English and Finnish subtitles on the DVD are based on the Japanese version, so it's almost easier for me to be watching the movie with Japanese voices since there aren't any subtitles for the English voices.

Slothy
09-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Although I'm normally all about the japanese voicetracks with english subtitles in most movies, I've never actually watched the full movie with anything other than the english voices. Given the pace of some of the action scenes I think I might find trying to keep up with subtitles distracting. I should try it subtitled at least once though. I didn't care for a lot of the english voice actors myself, although I honestly thought the guy who did Sephiroth did a great job.

~SapphireStar~
09-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I prefer the Japanese voices. They sound more passionate about the roles then the english cast.

ChibiKadaj
09-30-2006, 02:43 AM
I like the Japanese version better. After I saw the english version I was pissed cause I didn't like some of the voices. But Kadaj's english voice fit him perfectly.

Sefie1999AD
09-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Okay, I watched the English version, and I didn't think it was that bad. The translation was well done, and the voice acting was pretty good too, although I still think the Japanese version was better. In the English version, Cloud, Tifa and Yuffie were fine, and the Turks were funny as always, but I think Vincent sounded a bit weird, and so did Yazoo and Loz.

Setzer Gabianni
09-30-2006, 09:00 PM
I thought the English dub was very good. They were all capable voice actors and I thought they fit their parts perfectly fine. Since I liked the English dub I see no reason to watch it in Japanese with subs just for the sake of it.

Maybe you should, then you could compare voices..

I did a review on the English version of AC. It was a pretty good review, so I can't say they were rubbish.

But the Japanese voices made the villains sound a lot better, and unlike the English Loz, the Japanese one actually sounded great.

~Setzer Gabbiani

LunarWeaver
09-30-2006, 10:39 PM

I did a review on the English version of AC. It was a pretty good review, so I can't say they were rubbish.

But the Japanese voices made the villains sound a lot better, and unlike the English Loz, the Japanese one actually sounded great.

~Setzer Gabbiani

I have watched both, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I only meant I think the English is fine so I don't feel the need to watch it in Japanese again :)

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-30-2006, 11:56 PM
I prefer the original dialouge, that being JAPANESE... It's the only one I heard so far, because I've just been watching on Youtube.

I would like to hear the American voices, though, but I can only hope it's not as crappy as usual.

K-chan
10-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Only seen it in Japanese, and only a bit here an there. But I thought the voices were pretty good. ^^ I've heard the English ones aren't as good... I might actually buy the movie or whatever to find out. Or borrow it because I'm cheap like that. : D

Setzer Gabianni
10-01-2006, 09:11 AM

~Setzer Gabbiani

I have watched both, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I only meant I think the English is fine so I don't feel the need to watch it in Japanese again :)

xD Oh bugger, sorry XD

Didn't know ^^;;

~Setzer Gabbiani

*~Angel Wing~*
10-01-2006, 05:53 PM
Hmm...I can't choose, they both were good. :up: I think I like the English and Japanese version the same.

Nifleheim7
10-02-2006, 03:37 AM
I prefer the Japanese.
I try to avoid dubs as much as i can.

Fatal Impurity
10-02-2006, 01:38 PM
i definately prefer the english voices as vincents in the jap version in my opinion was too deep voiced and marlene was really squeaky lol but yeah they are both good and even though the english sephy was good the jap one was better! :D

forgiven angel
10-14-2006, 04:40 PM
i like both but advice for those who have a hard time following the fight senes with sub watch it in english a few times so that you have a pretty good idea of what's going on and i think that crisbin freeman did a great job on rude

Xander
10-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I only got the english DVD and watched it in japanese with english subtitles. I guess cos I figured that was how it was meant to be and therefore may be better. I like reading subtitles anyway I manage to kinda scan read them very quickly so it's cool. Maybe I'll watch it in english one time, probably not though.

Roto13
10-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't go for this "How it's meant to be watched" reasoning. It was meant to be understood and not read.

XxSephirothxX
10-15-2006, 04:52 AM
I've only watched the English dub, mostly because I'm lazy and don't typically watch things with subtitles unless the english dub is absolutely horrible. I'll probably watch it in Japanese at some point, but the English dub was pretty well done overall. The villains did sound pretty lame, now that I think about it. :p

Sefie1999AD
10-17-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't go for this "How it's meant to be watched" reasoning. It was meant to be understood and not read.

It was meant to be understood, yes, and I can personally understand written English better than spoken, which is also one of the reasons I prefer the subtitles. :p Of course, this pretty much applies only to those who don't have English as their mother tongue.

-Red XIII-
10-17-2006, 10:36 PM
the japenese was best. if you noticed, most of the US actors were soap opera actors (no lie). so... they are already kinda fake.

dilly dally shilly shally? I'd rather hear "Zururururururu" all day long.

and when Tifa was 'fussing' at cloud, she sounded like she was uncomfortable.

RiseToFall
10-18-2006, 03:14 AM
English.

Every time I watch an anime with subs on, I always miss parts of it because my eyes are always focused on the words instead of what's actually happening in the film.

Fatal Impurity
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
the japenese was best. if you noticed, most of the US actors were soap opera actors (no lie). so... they are already kinda fake.

dilly dally shilly shally? I'd rather hear "Zururururururu" all day long.

and when Tifa was 'fussing' at cloud, she sounded like she was uncomfortable.

lol that is soooooooo true! and i gotta admit kadaj and co definately sounded like overzealous teenagers with a penchant for violence, vandalism and spoiltness (as my mum said whilst watching AC "their not evil they just need their asses spanked" which was of course offered up by cloud) rather like FF's very own set of chavs lol :D ;) :)