PDA

View Full Version : The best...?

Yar
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Why do the majority of people think this game is the best of them all? Is it the time players got into the series? My first Final Fantasy was IV. I thought it was the best until I got my hands on VI. When VII came out, I was actually rather disappointed. The graphics looked terrible to me. The 3 characters in battle peeved me (until I grew into it.). The futuristic setting bothered me too. Almost all the people I know that say this is their favorite played FFVII first. They also pan FFVIII. I thought FFVIII was great! The people I ask about this say they hate the first 6 because of their "primitive graphics" and "lack of a materia system". I've finished FFVII once and was so disappointed with it I never played it again. It collects dust between the rather dust-free Final Fantasy Anthologies and Final Fantasy VIII on my shelf.

Bahamut2000X
09-11-2006, 11:08 PM
It's mainly because so many people starting on FFVII and thus just say it's the best. Young whipper snappers even have the gaul to disbelieve gaming exsisted before PS1.

Yes I said gaul get over it! I don't even think I used it right so bleh!

But yeah I've met too many people who played FFVII first, and then say it's the best when they only have played X, VIII, and the first 3 minutes of IX, and claim it's the best, while saying the first 6 were, and I'm quoting from a few RL encounters mind you "They have retarded graphics, so it sucks"

Of course I'm a bit bitter on this subject due to too many RL arguments with friends about it. But don't get me wrong FFVII is a fine game, with a nice story, some cool characters (I absolutely loved Cait Sith, Yuffie, Barret, Cid, and Red XIII, very uniguely designed characters in my opinion.) but I don't feel the game itself was good enough to warrant being called theb est ever. Especially when so many people seem to believe it's a fact that it's the best.

Of course then again I'm just bitter when it comes to calling any game the best. >.>

Zeromus_X
09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Why do the majority of people think this game is the best of them all? Is it the time players got into the series?It is the most popular (no, you don't get an arguably for this game), for rather obvious reasons. It was the first game released around the world, not just in Japan and North America. Obviously people would become enthralled by it. In addition, it also brought RPGs to the mainstream, as well as the Final Fantasy series. It isn't surprising that many people would have played this first, and enjoyed it as such. And, it often happens, the first one you play builds a nostalgia that beats any other game. Personally, it isn't my favorite, but it's up there somewhere.

The graphics looked terrible to me. The 3 characters in battle peeved me (until I grew into it.). The futuristic setting bothered me too. Almost all the people I know that say this is their favorite played FFVII first. They also pan FFVIII. I thought FFVIII was great! The people I ask about this say they hate the first 6 because of their "primitive graphics" and "lack of a materia system". I've finished FFVII once and was so disappointed with it I never played it again. It collects dust between the rather dust-free Final Fantasy Anthologies and Final Fantasy VIII on my shelf.

Well, that isn't much better than the people that think FFVI and below have bad graphics. FFVII did have standard graphics for its time.

All of the FFs have had technology.

And, you also need to remember, not everyone is grouped as a 'new school' or 'old school' or 'certain game' person. Everyone has different personal tastes.

LunarWeaver
09-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah, VII's graphics are horrible, IV is where all the high-powered super eye candy is at.

I love VII =D I love them all. They're great. And by "all" I mean I love VII and up, VI and below is just for smelly losers like Zero.

Edit: I can't even understand my own posts anymore :nonono:

Goldenboko
09-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Yeah, VII's graphics are horrible, IV is where all the high-powered super eye candy is at.

I love VII =D I love them all. They're great. And by "all" I mean I love VII and up, VI and below is just for smelly losers like Zero.

:twak:
That was a horrible statement take that back!
Even if you are just joking (which I hope you are) that was a foul, foul statement.

LunarWeaver
09-12-2006, 12:21 AM

Even if you are just joking (which I hope you are) that was a foul, foul statement.

I don't have a sense of humor, I can't make jokes :BigFrown:

Zeromus_X
09-12-2006, 12:22 AM
But I like them all, Lunar. You should know that.

Goldenboko
09-12-2006, 12:24 AM

I don't have a sense of humor, I can't make jokes :BigFrown:
SO YOU WERE SERIOUS! *Has heartattack and dies*

LunarWeaver
09-12-2006, 12:27 AM
I think making posts that spin everybody off-topic is my number one talent in life.

Just to reel things back together: VII may have a lot of love, but it also has a lot of hate, just like everything. I would say it is the most popular... Whether it deserves it or not is up to you. I love VII, and I feel no need to rank them. Can't we all just love them the numbers without placing one in front of the other?

X > VII by the way.

Goldenboko
09-12-2006, 12:28 AM
I think making posts that spin everybody off-topic is my number one talent in life.

Just to reel things back together: VII may have a lot of love, but it also has a lot of hate, just like everything. I would say it is the most popular... Whether it deserves it or not is up to you. I love VII, and I feel no need to rank them. Can't we all just love them the numbers without placing one in front of the other?

X > VII by the way.

No its not, by the way

X>VII>IV

Yar
09-12-2006, 12:45 AM
VII just looked really dark to me. IV and VI were full of color. I enjoyed VI's plot a whole lot more too. I get peeved whenever all FFs get contrasted to VII. VIII gets alot of hate because of its comparison to VII.

Zeromus_X
09-12-2006, 01:13 AM
VIII usually gets alot of hate because of it's overall complex-but-really-isn't-if-you-stopped-to-think-about-it-for-a-second plot/gameplaysystem. (At least, that seems to be the complaint from many people who I've known to hate the game).

I actually thought IV and VI were really dark as well (VI should be self-explanatory). But I did think V and IX were colorful and light-hearted.

Bolivar
09-12-2006, 02:40 AM
It's one of my favorites, and while I have to confess it was the first FF I ever played, I was a big RPG fan beforehand.

I think what alot of people have lost sight of is the fact that it not only completely revolutionized the FF series and RPGs, but VII changed video games as a whole forever.

FFVII did have standard graphics for its time.

Actually, it didn't. At the time, the first 1 minute cutscene of the game was visually more impressive than anything seen before. The fact that it starts off w/ the stars, then fades into Aeris' face, pulls away to show the street, the whole sector, then midgar itself was something that could never have been possible on Super Famicom. It was this possiblity that caused Sakaguchi to go from making video games to solely being in charge of videos, letting Kitase and Nomura control the vision of the gameplay.

FMVs do have alot to do with it. But it was one of the factors, along with much extended dialogue, that brought storytelling in RPGs to a new level. It made VI outdated in almost every aspect.

The newer games all have their faults, and I think certain weaknesses in each game is why alot of people to this day call VII not only the best in the series, but of all games ever made.

Personally, I think that's a big overstatement, as it'd be impossible for anyone to play every game ever made. But it's up there among my favorite games.

Leeza
09-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Goldenboco and LunarWeaver: Stop spamming up threads and stay on topic. This goes for the both of you.

Araciel
09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
they like 7 so much cause they were most likely 14 year old boys, which i was, and thus enthralled by either cloud or sephiroth, which i wasn't

Laugh at face of Danger
09-12-2006, 05:52 PM
I think they feel that way because it was a breakthrough in 3-D playing. Along with quite a few people, i think that VIII is the best, but i did play it first. It is a matter of opinion.

Kai McCloud
09-13-2006, 11:00 PM
I still cant decide which is my favorite. I love them all but thers a fine line between VII & VIII. I will admit that VII was the first in the series that I played But you cant lable people on which one they played first. although I do agree to some extent that the first game you play and enjoy will probebly end up being your favorite. but thats not why I like FF VII & VIII. It's because in my opinion they have the best of it all. Best characters, Best music and story lines. I really get atached to Squall 'N' The gang or cloud 'N' His peeps every time I play. thats why VII & VIII are my favorites:choc2:

The Crystal
09-15-2006, 02:28 AM
"Why do the majority of people think this game is the best of them all?"

Is it the time players got into the series? Almost all the people I know that say this is their favorite played FFVII first.

You answered your own question.

Bolivar
09-15-2006, 02:48 AM
"Why do the majority of people think this game is the best of them all?"

Is it the time players got into the series? Almost all the people I know that say this is their favorite played FFVII first.

You answered your own question.

but most of the people who played IV first have VI as their favorite.

Carl the Llama
09-15-2006, 04:17 AM
id like to know how people can think that Final Fantasy VII can be reguarded as haveing 'bad' graphics? this is clearly not the case here look at my examples:

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/1/196591/fthoma97_screen002.jpghttp://www.nintendomaniacs.com/images/ul/akumajo_dracula_xx_7.pnghttp://ars2.iad.cachefly.net/articles/paedia/gaming-evolution.media/5tennisarena-1997.jpg
http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/2005/12/feature/finalfantasyvii17.jpghttp://www.animefringe.com/magazine/2005/12/feature/finalfantasyvii12.jpg

I rest my case

Zeromus_X
09-15-2006, 04:51 AM
Like is the case with most graphic-whores, they're improperly comparing the graphics of a game from almost ten or more years ago to modern games' graphics.

Bolivar is right, FFVII did have above standard graphics for its time (besides the FMVs, the pre-rendered backgrounds are pretty wonderful if not confusing as hell. Even the polygons are nice compared to the polygons of the time). I never really thought about it before. Thanks for correcting me, Bolivar.

Hell,

An epic adventure across 3 cd-roms.

*teaser text*

With vivid landscapes, lush 3D animation and environments, Square Soft's multi-million dollar masterpece* is like nothing ever seen before. And it is only on PlayStation.

Nostalgia and happy memories of a game you played a long time ago is why most people would consider their first game their favorite. Of course, I practically played FFIV and FFVI at the same time, so they both have a good deal of nostalgia to me (of course, I love all the games too much to ever decide on a favorite at once).

*The 'i' is somehow printed above on a different line...

ValkyrieWing
09-15-2006, 05:05 AM
I like VII regardless. I like games for the STORY.

That's why I like almost all RPG's, unless they're dumb. :P

boys from the dwarf
09-15-2006, 07:10 AM
i wouldn't say that the majority of fans like FF7. thats just a baseless assumption. it might be the most popular because its the first some people played and the first 3D one. the company has a certain attachment to it because its the first 3D one, which is why they made all of those sequels and prequels.

Dragon Mage
09-16-2006, 11:42 PM
From my understanding, 7 had done what no other game had done before. i.e. char getting killed; main char working against you; etc. It completely changed how games were made. (the storyline/plot that is)
And you have to keep in mind that this game had the best (and newest) graphics when it was made. Even though those very same graphics have been improved, this was the very first of it's graphic type. For example; the first computer was, I believe, about the size of an acre. Now, we have hand held computers. The original sucks but the it is always improved. So saying that the graphics suck while comparing it to modern graphics is not a fair compairison.

And because FF7 has made such an uproar among the gaming community, it is the most heard of and therefore, most well know game there is. So when someone is going to play an FF game, they naturally hear about 7 more than they do others. So they play 7 first. And you must admit, it is quite and introduction to the series.

chrisfffan
09-16-2006, 11:52 PM
its either 7 or 8