PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon

Fonzie
09-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Me and some friends are rebuying the games, because they were awesome/addicting. Anyone still play this loveable game anymore?

Sylvie
09-12-2006, 02:51 AM
I've been meaning to pick up some recent GBA versions. (Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire)

I had a blast playing Gold and Red when I was in 1st and 2nd grade. Me and my friend would always talk about it on the bus, and always get every Pokemon possible in the game, and then have fun with the mystery gift and such. Ah, the memories. :)

Bahamut2000X
09-12-2006, 04:17 AM
In my opinion the series really droped after Gold and Silver. I got Sapphire and it was dissappointing for me. Especially most of the new monsters just...don't look good. :/ A few are cool, I like how you can get a dark one in the starting area. But most of them are just remade versions of past ones, made to look kiddy and stupid. Even the legendrary ones look like something a little kid drew with crayons.

Personally I say the last good Pokemon was Gold/Silver. Well as good as a kids game can be. >.>

NINJA_Ryu
09-12-2006, 05:32 AM
In my opinion the series really droped after Gold and Silver. I got Sapphire and it was dissappointing for me. Especially most of the new monsters just...don't look good. :/ A few are cool, I like how you can get a dark one in the starting area. But most of them are just remade versions of past ones, made to look kiddy and stupid. Even the legendrary ones look like something a little kid drew with crayons.

Personally I say the last good Pokemon was Gold/Silver. Well as good as a kids game can be. >.>

Red and blue were god games, along with yellow(but a bit less)

Gold and silver relit that inner spark of R&B, and fanned it into a flame, so those are the only really good ones.

Sapphire and ruby werent as good as the originals, and thats a shame

but blue and red will forever live in my hearts as the god games of my early childhood, (and too bad i sold them, such is corporate america demanding your monies!)

Elite Lord Sigma
09-13-2006, 12:58 AM
I still play them. I've heard that Emerald is probably the most challenging game to date, because the Battle Frontier apparently makes the Elite Four seem like wusses.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Gold and Silver were the best in the series. :cool:

Ryth
09-13-2006, 01:10 AM
It reached it's peak at Gold/Silver/Crystal, they were my favourites, and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald were majorly disappointing. I don't play them anymore, every once in a blue moon I'll pick up my Gold version and play, but overall I don't play regularly.

Tavrobel
09-13-2006, 01:18 AM
I stopped after Crystal, and sold them all after I transferred my files/Pokemon onto Coliseum, which I then sold (after throughly beating the game). Now they are all conveniently stuck on my memory card.

Pokemon, however, is one of the main reasons I played Final Fantasy in the first place.

Fonzie
09-13-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm getting leaf green version. Can't wait XD~

LunarWeaver
09-13-2006, 01:20 AM
I got addicted to LeafGreen not too long ago. I got teased a bit because apparently adults don't play Pokemon games, but that only made me play it around other people as much as I could.

Materia Hunter Yuffie
09-13-2006, 01:26 AM
I used to be obsessed with pokemon when I was younger. I seldom pick up the games and play them. I've got yellow, gold, and silver. Gold was always my favorite and I've got like 80 hrs. on it. I will never delete the file.

JKTrix
09-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Diamond and Pearl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Pearl_and_Diamond). If this doesn't revive the Pokemon series, nothing will. Not anytime soon, at least.

The real draw for me is the online play. Pokemon, like many other games (PSO/U, Smash Bros, Battlefield...), thrives on the multiplayer. Having Pokemon go online will extend its lifetime exponentially. I can deal with the same ol' same ol' (though I know there are several enhancements and additions to the game system), just make it fun to play again. This game comes out just before I leave Japan, I might just pick one up...if I can find it.

Reine
09-13-2006, 04:28 AM
Reading about all the games on Wiki is making me want to start playing again.. ARGH

Nominus Experse
09-13-2006, 04:59 AM
I love Pokemon, even though there is this stigma for one who isn't less than 12 years old when you play them...

I still play them, though I can't find Blue, which holds a sweet nostalgia to me. I've played Emerald, Saphire, Ruby, Yellow, Blue, Silver, Gold, and Fire Red.

The sad thing is, I've lost or sold Blue, Silver, Gold, Saphire, and Yellow...

Probably because it was cool to hate Pokemon at that point in my life...

Damned conformity!

Markus. D
09-13-2006, 05:22 AM
I am loving the look of the new Legendary Gias (As you know with lugia... his two brothers are masters of Space/Time).

my faveorite to date are Pokemon Gold and Fire Red.

JKTrix
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl magazine scans, you can probably ascertain some of the features by looking at the pics (or looking at the Wiki link I posted in my previous comment)

http://www.gamebrink.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10599

Setzer Gabianni
09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Reading about all the games on Wiki is making me want to start playing again.. ARGH

Reading all this new DS info is making me squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee even more!

=D

POCHAMA!

:choc2:

~Setzer Gabbiani

Rosenti
09-13-2006, 04:27 PM
I find Pokemon childish and pretty much the same... sorry

Dreddz
09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Ive only beaten Blue and Silver, I found no intrest in the others because they were more of the same with a heap of new awfully designed monsters...

Ender
09-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm guessing I'm a few years older than most of you here and I still get the urge to play from time to time. Unfortunately I got rid of everything through Crystal (never had any of the later ones) a few years ago, but this thread is making me feel like I should go out and get them again. :-\

licence
09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Last one I bought was Crystal. I sometimes still play it. But now I think there are far too many Pokemon. I usd to like the good old days when I played Red.

exit60b
09-13-2006, 06:52 PM
i have pokemon blue and crystal. i must of replayed blue a million times, but it never fails to entertain :D

Ender
09-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Last one I bought was Crystal. I sometimes still play it. But now I think there are far too many Pokemon. I usd to like the good old days when I played Red.

I agree with that. The original 150+1 were a challenge to collect, but it was fun IMO without being a chore, and the pokemon were readily recognizable. The additional 100 was getting to be a little much but at least it still felt like one was playing within the same game/setting for the most part, just with more pokemon (some who at least were kinda cool).

But I can't help but feel that the gobbed it all up by messing with the Pokedex for Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald, cutting some familiar Pokemon while reusing others and adding a wide selection of new ones. I realize they were trying to create something fresh/new-feeling, but they completely lost me with the changes and additions.

JKTrix
09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
The thing with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald's Pokedex numbering system is that it was a 'new' world. In context with the story, why should Torchic be #253? If it's the First Pokemon Ever Seen in this world, it should be #1.

Anyway, later in the game after certain events (I can't remember what, I think it's connecting with FireRed/LeafGreen) you unlock the National Pokedex, which resets all the numbers to how they're supposed to be. Charmander is #1, while Torchic would indeed be #253 (don't quote me on those numbers, btw).

I don't see how the addition of new Pokemon is a bad thing. Perhaps for all you completists, it's 100 new annoyances that you'll probably never even use once you catch it and stick it in the PC. So what if the designs for most of the new Pokemon are 'kiddy'? You probably won't use them anyway, and some of them will probably evolve into some of the coolest looking monsters.

Part of the Pokemon thing is to collect and trade monsters. You *don't* have to 'catch 'em all' by yourself, and now that the thing is going online it should actually be easier for you to trade monsters back and forward, if you have the right equipment. It's understandable if you can't, but you wouldn't be able to get them all anyway if you don't have some kind of access to both versions or a cheat device.

"I find Pokemon childish..." Quoted from a 14 year old child. My advice: grow some balls. Pokemon, like many of Nintendo's games, are created for all ages. They have a colourful/cutesy appearance that would appeal to the kids, and levels of depth that your average kid couldn't even fathom. I suppose 14 is around 'that age' where your paltry levels of self esteem keep you from doing things that are out of the 'cool box'. If you want to get ahead in life, you can't be afraid of what people think of you. It's like those school dances you see on movies: all the girls on one side, all the guys on the other side. You have to be the guy that goes over to the girls to ask for a dance. Sure, your buddies might snicker and tease you--but you're the one with your hands all over a chick.

Anyway, back from that tangent... Get a DS, get Pokemon (among the oodles of other great games already out and coming), beat me in an online match. That's all I want :P

As a side note: You will be able to transfer your pokemon from the GBA games into the DS game. This info was in links I've posted, but I figured I'd re-state it here. Buying the GBA game to train up wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Fonzie
09-14-2006, 02:35 AM
JKtrix you said everything i was too lazy to type myself :D

Yuffie514
09-14-2006, 07:21 AM
last i played was Pokemon Ruby with emulation. i have many opinions for the games i choose, so i play Pokemon since i like games where adventure is endless. i actually liked Silver version better with the cellphone usage, and Persian makes so much $$$ for me...

Setzer Gabianni
09-14-2006, 08:27 AM
"I find Pokemon childish..." Quoted from a 14 year old child. My advice: grow some balls.

^ XD

Those who call Pokemon childish, I bet they play some equally childish games themselves XD

~Setzer Gabbiani

NorthernChaosGod
09-14-2006, 10:25 AM
I really like Pokemon still, I have Red, Yellow, and Gold myself. I actually used to battle my friend a couple months ago. :cool:

Markus. D
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
"I find Pokemon childish..." Quoted from a 14 year old child. My advice: grow some balls.

^ XD

Those who call Pokemon childish, I bet they play some equally childish games themselves XD

~Setzer Gabbiani

I do agree with that but I think the "grow some balls" part wasnt really required.

oooh. I remember the days I would wh0re out the mystery gift feature!

Setzer Gabianni
09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
That thing I never used ;___;

~Setzer Gabbiani

Markus. D
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
That thing I never used ;___;

~Setzer Gabbiani

awww there there.... it was only good for Clefairy dolls and room decorations and freaking uber items. nothing you can get in game *cheers up Setzer... sort of-ish*

Dark Paladin
09-14-2006, 06:02 PM
I love gold but when i go to load a file after saving it says the file is corrupted and it won't work, i'm so annoyed.

starseeker
09-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I liked Sapphire. Out of all the games me and my sister owned (yellow & silver), it was the only one where you only had to trade with one other game to complete the pokedex. I abused the Sapphire breeding system by breeding masses of Torchic, some of which had rock slide as a starter move.

Vikeve
09-14-2006, 08:52 PM
uh... just take a look at my avvy the original show was awesome. But now the show just sucks.

I will always love the gameboy games though i thought saphire was fun but i stopped watching the show a long time ago. Pelipper!!!!

Nominus Experse
09-18-2006, 07:10 AM
My girlfriend and I are now battling - I sucked her back into the fold and lifted the veil that Pokemon sucks.

Araciel
09-18-2006, 07:12 AM
man i haven't played it in years...i had red and my buddy ty bought blue and we battled constantly...that was awesome

memories

NorthernChaosGod
09-18-2006, 09:04 AM
My girlfriend and I are now battling - I sucked her back into the fold and lifted the veil that Pokemon sucks.

:cool: