PDA

View Full Version : Help the Old Woman cross the road.

The Devil Man
09-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Here's another morality question for all you EoFF'ers!

Imagine... it's a bad day. You had a terrible night and couldn't sleep properly. You woke up late and had to skip breakfast. You rushed to school/college/work and left half your important books at home. Now you are about to go home when it starts pouring down with rain. On top of that, it is also warm weather, so rain + heat = humidity so you feel sticky and sweaty. Then you remember that you have somewhere SOOOO important to go to and you are going to be late and it would be EXTREMELY BAD if you didn't get to that place on time!

So you start cycling/driving/running to where you are supposed to get to and trying your best to get to that place on time, when all of a sudden: You see an old woman trying to cross the road.

It is a very big and busy road and the 80-year old woman looks so sad and scared, waiting at the side of the street with her bags of shopping and little doggy. It's obvious she needs help. And she is soaked with rain.

So what do you do? You are having a truly terrible day and you are running late for this SUPER-IMPORTANT place you got to get to on time! Do you stop what your doing and help the Old Lady cross the road? Or do you get on with your own business... she'll make her own way across at some point. What dooooooo you do!?

I'd help her even if I didn't want to :crying: Otherwise I'd feel even worse for the rest of the day.

Polaris
09-12-2006, 11:21 AM
I'd help her by sure and I think my day would get better after it... Even if no one helps me crossing the road thats' no reason for me to don't help other people

Rye
09-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Hey, if you're already late, it doesn't kill to help the old lady.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I'd get to where I'm going. She would probably understand if she saw me running anyway

Meat Puppet
09-12-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd only help her if she asked me. I'm far too shy to offer to help.

Madame Adequate
09-12-2006, 12:48 PM

... I thought that said "It doesn't help to kill the old lady" HuxDDD

Loony BoB
09-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I live in a city where there is, even on a busy road, a place for everyone to cross. If she's going to be difficult and go to a place where there isn't a crossing, then it's her own damned fault.

These days, old women are more capable than one might be lead to believe.

Giga Guess
09-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Help her out. It's not her fault that I'm having a lousy day, and I don't see why I should begruge her a hand.

Shaun
09-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Imagine... it's a bad day. You had a terrible night and couldn't sleep properly. You woke up late and had to skip breakfast. You rushed to school/college/work and left half your important books at home. Now you are about to go home when it starts pouring down with rain. On top of that, it is also warm weather, so rain + heat = humidity so you feel sticky and sweaty. Then you remember that you have somewhere SOOOO important to go to and you are going to be late and it would be EXTREMELY BAD if you didn't get to that place on time!

This happens to me practically every day anyway. As for the old woman stuff, it's none of my business. People don't help me in this world, so why should I?

Rosenti
09-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I would oviosly help her.. i think.. :)

licence
09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
If I was rushing to get somewhere that was really important I'd not help her. She obviously managed to cross the road earlier to go get her shopping so she can cross it again.

Araciel
09-12-2006, 05:01 PM
i always help the old lady

Mirage
09-12-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd help her, but honestly, I've never ever seen anyone needing help with crossing the road.

bipper
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
help her duh. Never pass an opertunity to hit on the opposite sex.

Laugh at face of Danger
09-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm not gunna get any help when i'm that age, so why should i? That and i bet there's an island a few feet away or a set of traffic lights. If it was the m25 i might help her, if i got some sweets or something.

Peegee
09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey, if you're already late, it doesn't help to kill the old lady.

Fixed.

I wouldn't do anything.

Levian
09-12-2006, 05:43 PM
I'd flykick her in the face, steal her bags and cook her dog.

Oh, you mean honestly? All the lady would have to do is wait for green light, then she could walk. I don't really see the problem. I did help an old lady across the road two weeks ago, but she was blind, partly deaf and had a walking chair, she asked if I would just go beside her. Who wouldn't have done that?

theundeadhero
09-12-2006, 05:47 PM
I have never ever in my life seen an old lady who needs help crossing the street. It's just a myth.

Owen Macwere
09-12-2006, 06:03 PM
I'd help her out. Just to show her that I am a good guy, but I wont regret it later. I know

RiseToFall
09-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Old ladies don't walk anywhere, they just drive 15+ miles below the speed limit.

Zante
09-12-2006, 06:47 PM
If I wouldn't have that important appointment, I mighthelp her, but as I do, she is out of luck. Loony BoB also got a good point there.

Zeldy
09-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Ive never seen an old lady needing help to cross a road. Roads arnt THAT busy here, so she'd be able to get across easy.

Im honestly not sure. Id like to say I would, and be a lovely citizen, but If I was really really late, I don't know. Id probably.. just go

Quindiana Jones
09-12-2006, 06:54 PM
I'd kidnap her and try and get some money (you know, for poker and that) from her family in return for her well being and safe return.

But seing as that's not an option, I'd help her. I'm a very nice person :bigsmile:

~SapphireStar~
09-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Course I would, with a nice big smile to show her its not any trouble.

Sergeant Hartman
09-12-2006, 07:53 PM
There's no time!

Ender
09-12-2006, 07:57 PM
I would help her, but I would not be happy about it. IOW, failing to be nice would make me feel worse than the annoyance of taking the time to help her and the annoyance that nobody else was helping her either.

In a more realistic/common situation, I ride the bus to and from work and often sit in one of the front (handicap/elderly designated seats) because it's convenient for me to get off without having to push through a dozen standees. On a crowded bus all of the handicap/elderly seats are occupied by normally not handicapped/elderly people, which is fine normally, but when a passenger who NEEDS one of those seats comes on, in the five years I have lived here I have not seen a single person other than myself ever offer their seat. That ticks me off...and while I will always do it, it really annoys me that so many people are willingly oblivious to common courtesy.

Vikeve
09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I would help her cross becuase then i might feel better and otherwise she'll be on my mind bothering me all day. And most likely knowing my life karma would come around to bite me in the ass that day and make me feel worse if i didn't help her. I help out my old neibor all the time i feel bad she's so sweet.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Old ladies are evil...the best course of action would be to run away before they atack you. Trust me i know that´s what my granny does.

Jojee
09-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Run her over, help overpopulation.

Also,

I'd only help her if she asked me. I'm far too shy to offer to help.

:p

Quindiana Jones
09-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Run her over, help overpopulation.

Why don't you just go around killing babies aswell?? :eek:

EDIT:

Can there be an option where we can say how many babies we want to kill in our lifetime? Hear, hear :love:

Oh.

Alive-Cat
09-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I don't like to approach people I don't know.

exit60b
09-12-2006, 08:44 PM
even with my horrible morning or day, if i saw the old lady i would sigh and help her... or at least try to, because even in their age some of them just dont want to be helped. so stubborn!

Dreddz
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Probably, Grannys usually give generous rewards :p

Vincent, Thunder God
09-12-2006, 09:59 PM

That just about sums it up for me.

After all, I don't believe in karma in the way most do. Most people think "If I do something good for someone, I'll get something done for me as a sign of my good deeds." I choose to say "If I do something good for someone, I'll feel better." Seriously.

You're having a bad day, and you may have had a number of annoying things done to you, but isn't it better to end the cycle by being nice to another person?

Sylvie
09-12-2006, 10:18 PM
I'd walk on. She's not my problem.

Reles
09-13-2006, 02:46 AM
If I were an old lady and some person was all "here let me help you carry your things" I would most likely attack them because they seem like they're going to steal my groceries and run away. :(

But I guess that wasn't really the question. :(

Leen-Leen
09-13-2006, 03:06 AM
i'd try to help her if no one else did. Weather I actually see the old lady or not is an entirely differnet situation.

kikimm
09-13-2006, 03:19 AM
No way. I need to be where I'm going to as soon as possible! And I'm not a helping sort of person. Or a talking to people I don't know sort of person. I like to be left alone when I am out in public.

fire_of_avalon
09-13-2006, 03:55 AM
Dude, screw helping her cross the street, if she stays out for much longer she'll probably get sick or hurt. I put her in my car and take her where she's going. If the people I'm going to see are pissed about me being late, then they're pissed. Me being fifteen minutes late as opposed to ten minutes isn't that big a deal.

feona17
09-13-2006, 03:56 AM
I'd help her with a smile on my face. Just the otherday when I was going downstairs in the subway, an old lady asked me to carry her heavy bags and I was more than glad to help. ^_^

kikimm
09-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Bu what if the old lady is actually like Ted Bundy or something!

fire_of_avalon
09-13-2006, 04:01 AM
Well, if she's an old lady serial killer, I could probably break her into small pieces. If she's a serial killer disguised as an old lady, well, we're gonna fight I reckon.

Levian
09-13-2006, 11:30 AM
I guess I could always scare her across the street.

Anaisa
09-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I would suggest I help her dog across the street. She can tag along if she wants to, but I'm only accepting responsibility for the dog. If she doesn't know the green cross code at her age, it's her own fault, she's had plenty of time to learn.

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 01:54 PM
i would kick her:choc2: :choc2: :choc2:

NorthernChaosGod
09-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Help her with a smile, even I'm not that much of an asshole.

Venom
09-14-2006, 12:00 AM
I wouldnt help the old lady. Old people suck.:mad2:

Psychotic
09-14-2006, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't help her even if I wasn't late or if the weather was terrible. I'm not going to risk becoming roadkill just because some senile old biddy refuses to use pedestrian crossings because she thinks they're Hitler's secret robots which will zap all our brains.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-14-2006, 12:24 AM
If there was no one else there, I'd say, as nicely if I could.

"Need a hand?"

At which point her kind old face would look up into mine, and with a deft flick of her wrist her walking stick would hit me in the knee with a sickening crack.

In severe pain, and what feels like a shattered kneecap, I collapse to the ground. The old lady marches across the road.

"Insolent pup. I can cross the road perfectly by myself."

And all that I can do is wait for the next person to come and help me across the road...