PDA

View Full Version : Best gear for a PLD at varius levels

Darius
09-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey I was wondering, at and after level 30, whats the best gear for a PLD to be using to be most effective?

I just got 31 last night and im currently using:

Kite Shield (def 8)
Centurion's Scale Mail (def 23 / +1 vit)
Eisen helm

And various other decent gear. I know theres better gear though so Im asking for help on what I should look for and at what levels should I be at when its worth upgrading?

Thanks!

Rostum
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Kampf. gear and stamina rings. I used those up til around level 50 where I replaced a bit of it with I.M. gear and waited for AF (which you can defenately use til 75 when end-game gear becomes an option).

As for shields, I was always a fan of size 3-4 shields (i.e. Kite Shield). Smaller shields level up faster, and block more often (but don't block as much damage). I felt, with the new shield mastery, that kite shields are defentely more worth it.

Depends on race a bit for the rest of gear. If you're Galka, you might need MP+ gear, if you're Tarutaru you might need HP+ gear, if you're Hume/Mithra or Elvaan, you might want a balance of things. Etc.

Darius
09-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Thats a great help! Thanks alot. :)

I am an Elvaan because I like their high hp and the fact they dont look like Galkas. Galkas are cool and all but I just dont want to be one. Anyways, thats off topic.

So small shields level up quicker? So when im leveling should I use a small shield and when im questing or doing missions or in the long term future, dynamis, use a larger shield? Right now its kinda low. Im a 31 and my shield skill is only 92. All good. Thanks for the help! :p

Ouch!
09-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Shield skill doesn't seem to be too much of a problem to level. I've helped my friend duo some monsters to get to his level 60 shield cap, so I can imagine it'd be much easier at your level. We were just duo'ing them (him attacking while I kept him healed and refreshed), and weren't having any difficulties. Just get a friend with you and fight some toughs.

That's my input about shields, anyway. Ome covered the other stuff.

Khaotic
09-12-2006, 09:48 PM
What server are you on?(offtopic)

Markus. D
09-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Darius is on Phoenix I think. last time I recalled.

edit: wait no that was some other forums FFXIer who started with a D ... or a P.

ScottNUMBERS
09-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Shield
I used (and still do for PvP) a Turtle Shield +1 at that level, it's got a pretty good VIT boost (+5 as I recall) slight Water elemental resistance plus some defense points and it's cheap to boot, the only problem is it decreases your Agility.

Rings
Stamina Rings, then move onto Verve Rings at 36 if you can - they're pretty expensive on our server. I'm not sure whether to move from Verve rings onto Phalanx rings, I keep being advised not to though.

Waist
Warriors Belt; This beauty lasts up until the 70s, definately worth getting the HQ version.

Neck
I'm not really sure what to wear on the neck at your level, I wore a Justice Badge (A little defense and MND+3) but at level 35 you should definately move onto a Medievil Coller (VIT+2) and 37 if you want to really raise some eyebrows take a few Momento Muffler into every party and activate it every battle (Enchantment: VIT+7 it lasts 5minutes, you have to have it equiped for 30 seconds before you activate it. Recast time: 1 minute).

Earrings
There's no VIT plus ones that I know of, so Just go with the best MP+ earrings your money can buy.

Main set (Body, Hands Head ect)
The "Eisen" set is the way to go, or "Kamfp" stuff if you want to be top-of-the-pile, if you're going to get any Kamfp gear I would recommend the legs as they can last until you get AF legs (Level 52). at 40 moves onto Breast Plate and all the level 40 gear except the level 40 legs - just keep the Eisen or Kampf. Also at level 40 make sure you get a Iron Musketeers Armet on your head, don't bother with that Sallet. At level 50 make sure you get your self an Iron Musketeers Curiass and some Rush Gloves.

Back
I used the Wolf Mantle, up until Earth Mantle I aslo remember I rather expensive Mantle that I couldn't afford try and look for that one, if it's out of your price range go for Wolf until Earth Mantle (Or +1)

Weapons
I can't remember much about my Weapon history just keep them updated (Damage helps you keep hate) and make sure you get the Grudge Sword (Emnity+1) at level 39 and your AF Honor Sword (MND+2 VIT+2) at level 42.

Darius
09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Awesome! This helps immensely. :D
Speaking of kampf gear, my friend said he was going to let me borrow his till I was high enough to equip something different.

Im using a blood necklace right now (+15 hp) and I have the +1 warriors belt too. Im also using a Centurions Sword (dam 19) but at 34 ill be getting...I cant remember the name of it but its damage was at 28. War Sword I think it was called. I currently have alittle over a mil in gil (thanks to the AH and synthing rabbit hides, and yes alot of hides :P) and Im planning on waiting till im about 50 or so before I spend most of it.

The Gluttony Sword looked rather appealing too but I think it was about 140,000 on my server (Valefor).

If anyones on Valefor, my characters name is Kaysee (female Elvaan).

Im also wearing 2 Beetle Earrings (I think thats what they are called) +3 attack each. And I have a back mantle with +3 evasion too, though lately im thinking that I dont need evasion for obvious reasons. I dont know...

By the time I get to 75 ill be searching for Excalibur! Does anyone know what exactly Knights of the Round does? Ive done searches but have never found anything.

Also, I know the turtle shield with +4 vit but everytime I go to buy it its always sold. I tend to have bad luck when buying at the AH.

Thanks to everyone who posted though! :)

Rostum
09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Excalibur will be out of your reach for a very very very, very long time.

Also, I'd suggest getting mantles that have +VIT and +HP, also, since most Elvaan PLD's get them, get some Drone Earrings instead of Beetle Earrings.

Lionx
09-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Shield: From various results, Size 2 shields, are just a gimped Size 3, they dont noticibly block more often, only marginally, and the Size 4 i forgot exactly, but it is not the best shield size as it doesnt seem to block enough damage for the lower proc rate, meaning that Size 3 is the best one to get. Therefore Koenig is the best shield end-gamewise with the exception of maybe Tatami for situational things.

In which Size > DEF most of the time. Kite Shield until RK or TK Shield, then it is good until the next level...in which i forgot, but stick with size 3 always if you can, only using size 2 if you cannot.

Also, as a way of comparing the different sizes, I've determined the proc rates needed to reduce average damage by 20%.
Size 1: 80%
Size 2: 44.45%
Size 3: 33.34%
Size 4: 25%?

The 80% proc rate (which is seemingly impossible) required for Size 1 shields to reduce damage by 20% speaks a lot about how ineffective they are. Size 2 has a more realistic requirement, but I wasn't able to meet it consistently. On the other hand, my lowest recorded proc rate on Size 3 shields was 32.94%, and I had many close to the 40% range, while only a 33.34% proc rate is needed to reduce average damage by 20%. Size 3 seems like the clear winner in terms of effectiveness between sizes 1 through 3.. The number for Size 4 shields is based off of the assumption that they reduce damage by 80% per shield block. A 25% proc rate is reasonable if you ask me, so they'd probably perform similarly to Size 3 shields.

(http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/paladin/55139-shield-data-size-2-vs-size-3-a.html)

Sword: Get the most DPS sword you can get, basically it should be pretty easy to get by with any sword, around 39 you can get Grudge Sword or just use your AF Weapon. Around lvl 50 TM Espadon is noticibly the best sword out there. Then TM Espadon +1 which is cheaper i believe on most servers than the NQ one because of people wanting to HQ2 it.

Then i do not believe Gluttony is very useful, its +7VIT but i dont believe VIT is of any real noticible difference if you choose to go DEF and VIT most of the way. If you look at it, the delay is more, and i believe is marginally better than TM Espadon +1 if i remember right around 9ish....my friend Armando has convinced me that the DPS of Save the Queen (which is 10) is alot better off than Gluttony in which you can always every 3 min do very accurate Vorpal Blades Covering activating its Latent. Otherwise i believe Bastard Sword is stronger.

(http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/paladin/60933-gluttony-sword.html)

Body- Natural Progression of course, Scale => Lizard => Chainmail => Kampf or Eisen => RS Chainmail => Bridgidine => IM Armor or if you have done COP up til the Aquaduects you can get a Parade Curiass(best til AF with the same Enimity bonus and more HP) => AF Armor until you get other goodies.

Hands- I used RS Gloves with +3 ATK until Chainmail, then its pretty much natural progression from there. I might wager however to get those bracelets with +STR from those giants if you can though. Rush Gloves are also fine if you like it.

Backpiece- Use Wolf Mantle +1 or if you can find any, use Breath Mantle, then around lvl 36 or 38, you can purchase High Breath Mantle, which is the BEST piece of back armor for the rest of the game i believe.

http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/8049

Neck- I would use the necklace for 1 lvl, then switch to Spike Necklace, the MND doesnt do much for you besides resisting White Magic, so the STR and DEX can only help you hit more often and more stronger to help. Afterwards you CAN switch to a Medival Collar if you like, eventually though i would use RG Collar.

Rings- VIT until Jelly Rings or other better rings.

Waist: I dont believe the VIT on this thing is worth it compared to the Brave Belt : http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/1848

I would use that until the Life Belt to help your Accuracy higher. Depends on your setup of course, but i personally will go Leather => War +1 => Brave => Lifebelt => Switch between Life and Warwolf.

Warwolf: http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/6258

Earrings: Always go with +MP until you get earrings in which can noticibly increase another stat. You might use Onyx and its HQ cousins until maybe Pigeon Earrings, otherwise quite possibly if you are an Elvaan(right?) that Cure+ Potency Earring can maximize your Cures for hate. Otherwise....quite possibly more MP or AGI earrings wouldnt hurt. But i strongly recommend you look at the Cure+Potency Earring because of your lower MP pool.

Ranged: Whatever xD; Until i believe Ltng Bow, or Bibiki Seaslug there isnt much difference in what you have. Quite possibly Rosenbogen is the best once you reach the 70s, but i dont know what new cool item you can get from Assault these days so dont hold me for that.

Del Murder
09-14-2006, 03:33 AM
I am currently a level 37 Taru PLD. This is my gear:

Weapon: Centurion's Sword (lv. 30)
Shield: Republic Targe (lv. 25)
Head: Kampfschaller (lv. 29)
Neck: Medieval Collar (lv. 35)
Ear1: Mercenart's Earring (Vit +2 when you have WAR subjob) (lv. 30)
Ear2: Pigeon Earring (lv. 33)
Body: Kampfburst (lv. 29)
Hands: Kampfhentzes (lv. 29)
Ring1: Verve Ring (lv. 36)
Ring2: Verve Ring (lv. 36)
Back: High Breath Mantle (Enchantment is HP+38 and Enmity+5) (lv. 36)
Belt: Warrior's Belt +1 (lv. 15)
Legs: Kampfdiechlings (lv. 29)
Feet: Kampfschuhs (lv. 29)

Before the Verve Rings I was using Stamina Rings, before the High Breath Mantle I was using Wolf Mantle +1 (good elemental defenses), and before the Medieval Collar I was using a Tiger Stole (attack and def). I get compliments on my gear all the time so I assume it's pretty good.

Lionx
09-14-2006, 03:36 AM
I would recommend switching out the Targe for a Maple Shield or wait for the Kite Shield, Size 1 is really bad. x.x;

Ouch!
09-14-2006, 03:36 AM
That gear is stellar for your level (aside from the shield, which lionx pointed out). Good on ya.

Del Murder
09-14-2006, 03:39 AM
The size of the shield matters? The one I have is Def +8, HP +8, which was better than anything else I saw. At level 38 I'm upgrading to a Jennet Shield.

Lionx
09-14-2006, 03:53 AM
Read the long post i had, it had a thread about shield size, Size 1 are Targes, and Size 2 are like Maple Shields(maybe the turtle shields too), and Size 3 are like TK Shield or Jannet Shield, and 4 are tower shields.

So once you get the Jannet i recommend you keep it all the way until your 50s for a Sandorian TK or RK shield. It will be THE best shield til then.

The size matters on how much you block, and how much reduced damage, it has been proven that size 3 is the best one of all the sizes, and size 2 is probably right behind it(as its probably the only good one before your size 3s and especially 4s). So it is always the size > than the DEF or bonuses(unless its really really good, like really good...ex: Tatami for situations) because it affects your performance alot. It shows alot when i see a PLD around the 20s with the Maple Shield or Fish Scale one rather than a Bastokan Targe.

So in that case i advise AGAINST the Turtle Shield that -AGI since shield blocking is influenced by AGI.

Del Murder
09-14-2006, 04:17 AM
Ok cool thanks. I'm 3000 exp away from 38 so I'll just stick with this one until then.