PDA

View Full Version : Who else loves Japan? (Except me)& Why?

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I love Japan and I am planning to live there after my studies end.
If i do any studies.lol

*Ahem *

I love japan because :

Well it started with F.F. I must say.It is the country which made F.F.

Serene people.(VERY important for me,Greece has too many bad tempered people)

Tokyo.

Oh man,Tokyo at night?Hell yeah!

Everything owns in that country.(well,except the over pervert people)

I have never been there (or abroad at all) but I am going to do so.

Manga/Anime

Cute girls with school uniforms hehe :love:

I can get to see F.F. concerts,and I get a chance to meet my man,Nobuo Uematsu.^^

Scenery-Awesome

And more

What do you like about Japan ? (If you like Japan that is)

Meat Puppet
09-13-2006, 12:39 PM
I like the sushi that comes from the mall. There is Japanese writing on the packaging. At least, I think it's Japanese.

Levian
09-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Ah, the occasional "I'm totally moving to Japan some day" thread.

Maybe you should go take a visit first, before you decide moving over there. And may I suggest that you take Japanese classes instead of watching anime? I don't know if that's the case with you, I'm just checking. :D The culture may be amusing to observe, but it will be no fun if you don't understand the language. Sure, you could survive by speaking English, but you'll always be the tourist guy.

What I like about Japan? That they produce games and send them to my local game shop.

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Japanese language learner in my town is a rare thing ''mabey''

Polaris
09-13-2006, 12:47 PM
I think that japanese are really friendly, my mom works with japanese people and she always tells me that thye are in good mood and always smiling... I saw a japanese guy from wher she works Mr. Ochikawa (guess this is the way it writes) and also he doesn't look like he is very old (and he is)... I love their culture, the anime and their tenchonolgy are the best ones... ^^
And I will learn japanese at the end of my university

Madame Adequate
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
They're all perverts and think nothing of stuff like copping a feel on public transport, the market for used schoolgirl panties, and selling hardcore bondage magazines on the high street.

This, in my estimation, is the mark of a nation at peace with itself.

Oh, and old Japanese people (See; Hardu Sensei) are perambulatory fonts of wisdom and enlightenment.

Resha
09-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Everyone loves Japan except for all the fish in the sea. :(

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
If you like your schoolgirls, your manga/anime and your digital software then Japan is the ideal place for you. I see no reason why you should hold yourself back in any way in planning to live there.

Japan has impressed me very much especially with it's technology being years ahead of ours but I'm not too keen on the earthquakes, the language (I'd rather learn French) and the unhealthy obsessions (I wouldn't want my daughter being stared at). I'd prefer to live somewhere quieter and only visit wild places like Japan on holidays

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
.. and the unhealthy obsessions (I wouldn't want my daughter being stared at). I'd prefer to live somewhere quieter and only visit wild places like Japan on holidays

What do you mean unhealhty obsessions?Explain please.

And Japan has quiet places no?

Madame Adequate
09-13-2006, 01:02 PM
What do you mean unhealhty obsessions?Explain please.

He means the country doesn't have this huge guilt complex about the fact that reproduction A) Occurs and B) Is enjoyable.

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Does that mean i can stare at boobies?LOL

Shlup
09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
I would love to visit Japan, and if I like it up close as I do from afar, I'd love to live there. Don't think my husband would go for it though. As it is, I'm too lazy to learn Japanese anyway.

I started to enjoy Japanese culture when I was in kindergarten. My best friend's parents started housing Japanese exchange students and they'd bring all kinds of fun things over. They taught us origami and I could use chopsticks and fold a paper crane, a person, a ball, and a frog before I turned six. I've since forgotten how to do the ball and the frog though.

My third grade teacher was Japanese. Genetically she was white, but she was born and lived in Japan until I think at least high school. We watched a few anime movies in third grade did Japanese plays (I was the star of "The Crane" alongside Cid's wife--I she was the crane as a girl and I was the crane as... a crane xD), and ate Japanese food a couple of times.

My parents also like Japanese culture, to a small degree, so I've been raised on sushi. I eat sushi like a cow. I have a high-end rice cooker and make rice with zu at least weekly. I have all the tools to make sushi, but good fish is a bit hard to find so I rarely make it.

I started getting into anime in 7th grade along with TheAbominatrix. We were like "omg i <3 sailermooooon." Like ridiculous.

I have a bunch of teach-yourself Japanese books someone gave me, and I've done a bit of 'em, but haven't been motivated to actually learn Japanese, so they're collecting dust.

I read manga almost daily. Don't watch much anime though. And I don't jump around going "OMG I AM LIEK SO KAWAII BUT U R A BAKA LOLOLOL!!"

My favorite things about Japan are the environment (from crazy city to old-school country), the language, the food, the wackiness, manga, and, uh... the culture in general.

And that is my report on Why I Love Japan.

Loony BoB
09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I love Japanese people because they don't stereotype themselves the way the rest of the world does.

Also, their exports such as RPGs, electronic equipment and of course sushi are all wonderful things.

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
how can i learn japanese?
without an instructor.

Shlup
09-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I love Japanese people because they don't stereotype themselves the way the rest of the world does.
Are you saying the rest of the world stereotypes themselves or the rest of the world stereotypes them? Either way, I disagree.

without an instructor.

If you move to Japan you'll learn it pretty fast. You won't have a choice.

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 02:21 PM
without an instructor.

If you move to Japan you'll learn it pretty fast. You won't have a choice.

yay

i ll just wait for some years then and go to stay der forever

(i ll wait in order to finish my studies ,if i pass that is heheheh-i'll try tho- i already am)

arigato

Twilight Edge
09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
yay

i ll just wait for some years then and go to stay der forever

(i ll wait in order to finish my studies ,if i pass that is heheheh-i'll try tho- i already am)

arigato

I can't believe that I would meet someone with the same thoughts as mine.I plan to work there and see if I'm lucky enough to make it into Square-Enix itself!!:D

Breine
09-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't know if I love Japan, but I definitely like it as a country quite a lot. I think they have a very interesting and different culture and history, plus the technology there is just amazing.
I don't know If I'd like to live there, but visiting it would definitely be great.

Rainecloud
09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I've never been, but I am an obsessive fanboy of all things oriental.

:)

JKTrix
09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I leave for Japan on Monday.
I'm only staying for 2 weeks though, not living there. My primary objective is to get into the Tokyo Game Show, but even if I can't get in I'll mostly be absorbing the culture. I probably won't make it into the 'country' area of Japan, since my Japanese isn't so hot yet. Apparently a lot of people speak English in Tokyo.

One of the things that fascinates me about Japan is the pride of their incredibly contrasted culture. They have an amazing balance between nearly futuristic technology, ancient tradition and natural beauty, and they display it at every opportunity. One of the classic images I've seen is a picture of the Shinkansen Bullet Train with Mt. Fuji in the background, with a Sakura Tree and a girl in a Kimono in the foreground thrown in. Here's one, minus the kimono girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mountfujijapan.JPG).

Aside from that, I'm going to see if I can visit some of the animation and game museums. I know Ghibli has one, and I've seen a couple of others from different animation studios. Nintendo is a little out of the way for this trip, but depending how my schedule fills out I might take the trip to Kyoto.

Depending how my experience goes, I may consider living there for a while. I'm not particularly attached to my current home, and my parents would probably appreciate me moving out (though they would lose some income). At the very least, I'll visit there once every few years.

Mo-Nercy
09-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Those dogs invaded my parents homeland via Manchuria.

They also created Tekken.

All good.

Zeldy
09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
My friend went to a wedding in Japan, and Oh-em-gee, I looked at the holiday photos in AWE. They don't do anything by half do Japanese xD

Alot of people want to live in Japan. Not I, might visit, but live? no.

Tasura
09-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Do you really need to ask that question of me? I mean come on. Im taking a Japanese course at my uni, and if I manage to pass all three years ill get a piece of paper saying that I know enough that I can work there, so yay me, also, I can watch anime raw :D.

Loony BoB
09-13-2006, 04:30 PM
Are you saying the rest of the world stereotypes themselves or the rest of the world stereotypes them? Either way, I disagree.
A large portion of the rest of the world stereotypes them. I don't know if they earned that stereotype as I've never been to Japan, but I've known Japanese people (well, at least one that I can think of, anyway) who complained about how everyone thinks that all Japanese people are into anime and weird shows and sushi and the like. Japanese people are just that - people.

Alive-Cat
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Japan is a pretty goddamn interesting place, imho

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I leave for Japan on Monday.
Take me with you

I can't believe that I would meet someone with the same thoughts as mine.I plan to work there and see if I'm lucky enough to make it into Square-Enix itself!!

Add me to the msn friend!:D
(i'll pm you my addy)

Flying Mullet
09-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Ah, the occasional "I'm totally moving to Japan some day" thread.
xD

How many of these actually mature into "I moved to Japan" threads. :)

Good luck and I wish you the best.

boris no no
09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
I think Japan is a cool place to visit and stuff but wouldn't want to live there.
My sister does animation and at the start of the course they said that anyone wanting to do anime style animation and that wanted to move to Japan to do it should pack their bags and go home. Apparently Japanese people really don't like Europian and American people working on animation there.

Flying Mullet
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Loving Anime/Loving Video Games != Loving Japan :rolleyes2

Melkor_
09-13-2006, 04:51 PM
I think Japan is a cool place to visit and stuff but wouldn't want to live there.
My sister does animation and at the start of the course they said that anyone wanting to do anime style animation and that wanted to move to Japan to do it should pack their bags and go home. Apparently Japanese people really don't like Europian and American people working on animation there.

O.O

Wow rly?
My love wants to do animation there

Odaisé Gaelach
09-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I like Japan, but I don't think that I would like living there.

Peegee
09-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Same. I didn't like living in Hong Kong. Lots of nice toys but the culture is bizarre and odd.

Japan is the same; we get a taste of it from anime, movies, and tv shows but if you really paid attention to it, you can see the type of behaviour that is 'typical'. And I just don't /wouldn't like everybody to be that way.

Plus they have squat toilets....o.O

Jess
09-13-2006, 05:38 PM
~I've never been to Japan, so I don't know if I love it.

Old Manus
09-13-2006, 05:39 PM
I see no reason to like Japan more than any other country.

And anime sucks etc

Pete for President
09-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I like Japan's culture in general, but I don't like the fact that Japan has quite a share in hunting whales/dolphins. No disrespect ofcourse, my country isn't that innocent either.

But yeah, I like Japanese culture in general. The history seems interesting, although I don't really get oriental history at school, from what I've read seems cool.

Might go there one day.

Christmas
09-13-2006, 05:50 PM
People tend to compare pros of another country to their instead of looking at the cons too of that foreign country,

starseeker
09-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Nihon ga suki desu. I like Japan, but I don't love it. Why else would I choose to study Japanese for 4 years (now doing my 5th year).

bipper
09-13-2006, 07:17 PM
meh, japan is ok. I want to go there someday, but I spend my time studying other things than thier culture/language/history. None of which are too important to my life.

Miriel
09-13-2006, 07:21 PM
People tend to compare pros of another country to their instead of looking at the cons too of that foreign country,

Seriously.

Japan seems like a really interesting place to visit but I think it's so silly when people act like Japan and Japanese culture/people are perfection. Obviously that isn't true. :)

Anyway, I'd love to visit one day. I hear it's very clean there. I like clean. Plus, I looove Japanese food. Shrimp tempura, gimme!

Peegee
09-13-2006, 07:36 PM

If I did that I wouldn't like anything.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
I love Japan cause I'm Japanese, and it's normal to like your home country. I'm actually moving back there at the end of October, so I'm really excited. Then there's,

Sushi
Cars
Techonology
FF
etc..

Rye
09-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I like Japanese culture, and it'd be a nice place to visit, but Japan is hardly a utopia. Read Azreal's Japanese School Teacher Editorials and the truth shall set you free.

Khaotic
09-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Hopefully you aren't white <.<

Peegee
09-13-2006, 08:14 PM
I like Japanese culture, and it'd be a nice place to visit, but Japan is hardly a utopia. Read Azreal's Japanese School Teacher Editorials and the truth shall set you free.

Is that the black man who often had his crotch grabbed?

Rye
09-13-2006, 08:18 PM

Is that the black man who often had his crotch grabbed?

Oh yes. xD Biggu Dikku!

Here is every editorial written for download: http://omega.med.yale.edu/~pcy5/japanese/teacher.html

Yamaneko
09-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Japanese people apparently love American culture. It just goes to show you that people will be attracted to anything that is foreign to their everyday lives.

Shiny
09-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Final Fantasy
Dir en grey
Asian Kung Fu Generation
Mad Capsule Markets

Nuff said

Roto13
09-13-2006, 09:08 PM
I'd link to that topic I made about Japanophiles, but I can't see it because I'm EoEO banned. Poo.

Khaotic
09-13-2006, 09:17 PM

Seriously.

Japan seems like a really interesting place to visit but I think it's so silly when people act like Japan and Japanese culture/people are perfection. Obviously that isn't true. :)

Anyway, I'd love to visit one day. I hear it's very clean there. I like clean. Plus, I looove Japanese food. Shrimp tempura, gimme!

>.> Japan is dirty, sexually.

Roto13
09-13-2006, 09:18 PM

Seriously.

>.> Japan is dirty, sexually.

Nonsense.

*molests a schoolgirl*

Khaotic
09-13-2006, 09:19 PM
I heard its common to see sex in public, including in streets, subways, in shops, etc. How much of this is true though, I'll never know.

Dreddz
09-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Take a trip there first, Japan is probably the hardest country to adapt to, you'll probably love visiting there, but I doubt you'd enjoy living there...

Shiny
09-13-2006, 09:22 PM
I've heard several stories about public male self pleasuring acts in subways and what not. >.< I think that's one of the reasons why they have a seperate train for girls and guys so no one gets raped...

Shlup
09-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I can't believe that I would meet someone with the same thoughts as mine.I plan to work there and see if I'm lucky enough to make it into Square-Enix itself!!:D

It's not like they're uncommon thoughts. Most fanboys r liek totally moving 2 nihon someday.

A large portion of the rest of the world stereotypes them. I don't know if they earned that stereotype as I've never been to Japan, but I've known Japanese people (well, at least one that I can think of, anyway) who complained about how everyone thinks that all Japanese people are into anime and weird shows and sushi and the like. Japanese people are just that - people.

But that's true of any culture. Except Jamaicans; Jamaica is one big Jamaican stereotype.

O.O

Wow rly?
My love wants to do animation there

That would be like a Japanese man moving to Australia to be a digerydoo player. Or something. It's infringing on their artform.

Venom
09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Japan is a pretty cool place, I wouldnt want to live there because it has volcanic land.

Madame Adequate
09-13-2006, 10:12 PM
That would be like a Japanese man moving to Australia to be a digerydoo player. Or something. It's infringing on their artform.

How the Hux can someone own an artform?

mooglebunni608
09-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Hmmm. Well I can't say I love Japan, because I haven't been there. But it is a pretty awesome looking place. Mostly I just like the food ^_^

licence
09-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Never been to Japan, but it isn't a place I want to go. They bring out great games, but I just wouldn't want to go there.

Their history is also interesting.

Anaisa
09-13-2006, 11:46 PM
I had considered moving to Japan, because I had heard lots of good things about it. But then I was told that I would be perved on more in Japan, than in the north west of England, which is really saying something. They may have been joking of course, but the mere idea was enough to concern me.

Christmas
09-14-2006, 02:19 AM

If I did that I wouldn't like anything.

Only if you like anything that is perfect that is.

Leen-Leen
09-14-2006, 02:27 AM
I pretty much love Japan because it's where I spent my childhood. I lived there for a few years, and I miss it so much. I'll go visit one day, maybe even live there ...

Jojee
09-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Japan is overrated, methinks... :p But they have produced a lot of nice stuff ^_^ I don't really have much of an interest to visit, though. I mean, it'd be nice if I could but I'd rather visit Europe and a bunch of other countries first :</>D

fantasyjunkie
09-14-2006, 08:35 AM
I spent a year there in the 80's. Man, I really loved it there. No political correctness there either! It was great!

black orb
09-14-2006, 09:43 AM
>>> The place is overpopulated already, and I think they dont want us. So I guess they just send you back to your crappy country if you dare to move there..

Melkor_
09-14-2006, 10:12 AM
After some careful thought,I don't wanna live there.
Maybe visit the country when I can,and see after that.
Yeah most of you people tell me that they don't like foreigners infringing their art and stuff but I don't wanna do anything like anime there.

Anyhoo,I guess this fanboysm has affected me and it shall wane.
I will carry on enjoying their beautiful anime and music but I won't try to live there.
I guess that if I am hated in my country I will be hated 100 more times there.:mad:

Madame Adequate
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Japanese people apparently love American culture. It just goes to show you that people will be attracted to anything that is foreign to their everyday lives.

Yeah. I mean, how could anyone be attracted to vapid crap like Hemingway, Miller, or Williams? :rolleyes2 Bunch of hacks, I tells ya.

~SapphireStar~
09-14-2006, 06:59 PM
The anime, the manga, the fashion, the food, the technology and the arctecture (sp). Im a big fan of the country and would love to go.

Roto13
09-14-2006, 07:34 PM

Yeah. I mean, how could anyone be attracted to vapid crap like Hemingway, Miller, or Williams? :rolleyes2 Bunch of hacks, I tells ya.

Call it a hunch, but I don't think that's what he was referring to. :P

Madame Adequate
09-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Maybe not, but it gets to me when people say "American culture = beer and football" when in actuality there have been some striking things to come from the country, and when in reality it's not actually any worse than the rest of the world is.

Yamaneko
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Popular culture is the only thing we export anymore. Same goes for most other developed countries. We don't exactly think Mirabeau or Arouet when France comes up in everyday discussion. Should it? Maybe, but popular culture is easy. Just turn on the TV. Opening a book is too hard for the general populace.

My intention was not to dismiss American culture, though. It was to direct attention to the similarties between a global community.

McLovin'
09-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Japan created Final Fantasy. Therefore Japan is ait.

Madame Adequate
09-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Popular culture is the only thing we export anymore. Same goes for most other developed countries. We don't exactly think Mirabeau or Arouet when France comes up in everyday discussion. Should it? Maybe, but popular culture is easy. Just turn on the TV. Opening a book is too hard for the general populace.

My intention was not to dismiss American culture, though. It was to direct attention to the similarties between a global community.

In that case I retract my earlier statements and support what you say.

Reles
09-14-2006, 11:57 PM
Fooood *drools* :D

Porn in vending machines. Just kidding.

Auragaea
09-15-2006, 12:20 AM
I'd never want to go to Japan. As a black man, I know I'll be harrassed by a lot of Japanese people with typical african american stereotypes such as "biggu diku" and wearing baggy clothes with lots of bling-bling. I'm content living in the U.S. for now, but I would like to go back to my country of Ghana.

Moon Rabbits
09-15-2006, 12:33 AM
I'm not in any sort of OBSESSIONX with Japan, but I really like sushi and sashimi and bubble tea...oh and those video games are pretty rad too.

EDIT: What?! Porn in vending machines?!

Rengori
09-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Been there once, have no intention of going there again.

moogle maniac
09-16-2006, 11:36 PM
yeah i like japan but i don't love it i like korea for example it's way better because ive been there and theres anime and manga, rpgs and whatnot but no risk of being killed by a tsunami, volcanic eruption of earthquake like japan

Ashley Schovitz
09-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Oh I would love to go to Japan someday too they made FF and they have the best food there is!

Jojee
09-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Porn in vending machines.

<i>Well</i> then. Never mind! Japan isn't overrated, I'm gonna live there! ;)

rubah
09-17-2006, 12:54 AM
I think it'd be a nice place to visit, so long as I didn't have to fly there. good grief that would be long ;o

I think it's required that everyone on the internet be obsessed with japan at some point

[edit-- and once you're on the other side, it's funny to see the reasoning behind the next generation of japanophiles justifying their choices xD But that goes for most things I guess]

Sweet Beloved
09-17-2006, 12:55 AM
I would love to visit Japan, at least once. And I love their sense of style...*eyes gleam* I plan to go there when I'm 18 sometime.

Shlup
09-17-2006, 01:04 AM

How the Hux can someone own an artform?

It's called "culture." Every country has it.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2006, 01:21 AM
It's called "culture." Every country has it.

... Apparently, I need to reiterate my point.

How can someone own an artform?

I really fail to see how my location of birth can have any impact whatsoever on my appreciation of, and skill with, an artform. If anyone cares about anything other than that, they don't have any idea of culture's worth anyway.

Edit: Culture is a far, far, far broader and more intricate thing than can be divided along national lines anyway.

Shlup
09-17-2006, 01:43 AM
Hey, don't get fussy with me; I'm just stating the way the world is. Anime is a part of Japan's culture. A non-Japanese person attempting to create anime is sometimes seen as an invasion of that culture. You know what I'm talking about here; you're just agreeing because you don't like it.

Rinoabella
09-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Japan is good because it made FF. And after playing FF I came here. And after coming here I met my boyfriend. Therefore Japan is good.

Oh and I also took Japanese at school and enjoyed it but don't remember much anymore :(

Zeromus_X
09-17-2006, 06:57 AM
It'd be nice to visit there once (so my studies wouldn't go to waste...), but I would need to study much more to ever hope to obtain knowledge of anything close to literate Japanese.

Dunno about living there, though. Overcrowded, expensive housing, etc etc...

Baseball murderers and genocidal high school students with black notebooks, etc...

Monster Hunt
09-17-2006, 07:17 AM
I like it because I'm half japanese, half of my family is there and the lollies...

WOOO HOOO! I'm going there this christmas! Free new year's day money!!! :)
But no big celebration for christmas... :(

Del Snizz
09-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Do any of you love the place enough to save it from Godzilla?

Yeah. Didn't think so.

fantasyjunkie
09-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Do any of you love the place enough to save it from Godzilla?

Yeah. Didn't think so.

ROFL LMAO! :D :D :D

Rostum
09-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Hehe, I just finished watching Lost in Translation. What a coincidence.

Anyways, I am very happy with living in Australia. It's such a beautiful place, and I've explored the whole eastern half of the country. So beautiful and for the most part, people are great.

I do think Japan looks extremely interesting. I really do want to visit one day -- what puts me off though, in FFXI, a lot of the Japanese community are very racist towards english speaking players (not all, I've met some really lovely people!) and I've been told a lot that there are defenately a fair few traditionaly cultured Japanese that don't like foreigners.

Also, when I was at university, we had a Japanese student that had just moved down to do the course. He spoke english pretty fluently, and we were pretty good friends. ^^