PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wing(s)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Hoo boy (http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=6860).

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 03:38 AM
I heard of it. Hm, I guess it could be interesting...:cat:

LunarWeaver
09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Hmm... all it says is it's about "air pirates". I wonder if this will be a full-fledged attempt or a half-assed piece of crap. If it's only starring those two, perhaps it will be an action-RPG in the likeness of the Seiken Densetsu series :) That would be in the full-fledged attempt book for me.

Maybe I'll get to fly around in an airship collecting spheres license boards while singing pop songs in my free time. J-Pop right into the DS mic! Oh, Square would never do something like that though :cat:

Jowy
09-14-2006, 07:04 AM
At least it's not another FFVII spinoff.

Elpizo
09-14-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm quite pleased with the fact that NDS owners get another FF on their handheld. FF III already looks so good, if FF XII: RW can live up to III, I'll be very happy.

Of course, this raises some questions. How will the game be? 3D? 3D with more FMV's than FF III? 2D? 2D-tactics like?
How will the battle system be (If there even is one, lol)? Like XII's? ATB? Turn Based? tactics? Action based? Somethign else?
How will the story be? Just a little spin-off with a very poor story? Boring story? Or will they actually try to make this a game that is a worth sequel/prequel, worthy of that FF XII in it's title?
It's a dangerous subject. SE can completely screw this up, or actually make a very good game. I'm really hoping for the second option. Common SE, you can do it, can't you?

Anotehr thign I'm happy about is that SE appearantly is interested in Nintendo and it's DS. I mean, DoS, IV A, V A, VI A, III DS and now XII: RW? Keep em coming, I would say.

Crossblades
09-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Another source says this game will be similar to FF Tactics

http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2862

Earlier AllRPG broke the news that Square-Enix was preparing an RTS/RPG hybrid Mana game for the Nintendo DS titled Heroes of Mana.

It was revealed in the latest Famitsu that Square-Enix is also preparing Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, which will be a tactical role playing game similar to the earlier Final Fantasy Tactics series that we all know and love.

Details are scarce at the moment, and AllRPG will update as soon as we have confirmed some of the rumors!

Elpizo
09-14-2006, 06:29 PM

Earlier All RPG broke the news that Square-Enix was preparing an RTS/RPG hybrid Mana game for the Nintendo DS titled Heroes of Mana.

It was revealed in the latest Famitsu that Square-Enix is also preparing Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, which will be a tactical role playing game similar to the earlier Final Fantasy Tactics series that we all know and love.

Details are scarce at the moment, and AllRPG will update as soon as we have confirmed some of the rumors!
Well, actually, if FF XII: RW is a tactics game, I'm a bit disappointed. It's FF XII, FF XII has ADB, given, that's probably difficult on the DS. Why not make a FF XII a la FF III, good old random battles, world map.

If they make another Tactics game, which I hope they do, I wish it was just a seperate title, not a sequel/prequel to a part of the main series.

Oh what am I talking about?! The game is only confirmed to be in the making, it'll be ages before the first screens arive or to get new info. Tactics, 3D or 2D, I'm getting it, simple as that. :)

Hmm, do you think a more 3D tactics would be nice? Like, the 3D field is on the top of the DS, showing the actions of the characters, the touchscreen has a top-down view of the battlefield on which you choose where each character goes, what actions it will take, yada yada... I think that would be pretty cool...

Dignified Pauper
09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
i would like to See Final Fantasy Tactics: DS: The Lion War myself.

Rogue
09-14-2006, 08:36 PM

Earlier All RPG broke the news that Square-Enix was preparing an RTS/RPG hybrid Mana game for the Nintendo DS titled Heroes of Mana.

Well, actually, if FF XII: RW is a tactics game, I'm a bit disappointed. It's FF XII, FF XII has ADB, given, that's probably difficult on the DS. Why not make a FF XII a la FF III, good old random battles, world map.

If they make another Tactics game, which I hope they do, I wish it was just a seperate title, not a sequel/prequel to a part of the main series.

Oh what am I talking about?! The game is only confirmed to be in the making, it'll be ages before the first screens arive or to get new info. Tactics, 3D or 2D, I'm getting it, simple as that. :)

Hmm, do you think a more 3D tactics would be nice? Like, the 3D field is on the top of the DS, showing the actions of the characters, the touchscreen has a top-down view of the battlefield on which you choose where each character goes, what actions it will take, yada yada... I think that would be pretty cool...

i agree

Ouch!
09-15-2006, 04:09 AM
i would like to See Final Fantasy Tactics: DS: The Lion War myself.
A man after my own heart.

Revenant Wings sounds interesting enough. If it's like FFT, I'll be pretty happy.

Khaotic
09-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Yet another FF game... I remember it used to take years to see one game, now you see 3 every year, if not more.

Rogue
09-15-2006, 09:16 AM
thats because they have more money and makers now ^^yay

aerithsloveslave
09-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Yet another FF game... I remember it used to take years to see one game, now you see 3 every year, if not more.

Yet they can't be bothered to make Chrono 3. Oh well. I'll be happy with a new Tactics style game.

Moon Rabbits
09-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Errrrrgh. Can't they just make ONE Final Fantasy anymore?

Each game is becoming it's own mini-franchise. I wouldn't be surprised to see a standalone "Blitzball Ace XTREME!" released soon.

jj984jj
09-16-2006, 09:50 AM
If this is an SRPG I'm all over it... unless it has laws, laws suck.

Dreddz
09-16-2006, 04:38 PM
If its like Tactics, were in for a treat :)

Guardians
09-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Like FF tactics also not bad, i like ff tactic much, but too bad FF 12 : RV realease on NDS... no money buy...

Madame Adequate
09-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Each game is becoming it's own mini-franchise. I wouldn't be surprised to see a standalone "Blitzball Ace XTREME!" released soon.

I'd be over that like Rye on a Frenchman. Blitzball > all real sports.

Anyway, I can't blame Squeenix for making more games for each FF universe, primarily because many fans (Myself included) have been asking (ie rabidly clamoring) for more stuff, such as a remake or sequel to VII.

RiseToFall
09-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Another thing I'm happy about is that SE appearantly is interested in Nintendo and it's DS. I mean, DoS, IV A, V A, VI A, III DS and now XII: RW? Keep em coming, I would say.

Dammit this makes me want to get a DS, but I'm not a fan of portables, what to do, what to do?

Elpizo
09-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Another thing I'm happy about is that SE appearantly is interested in Nintendo and it's DS. I mean, DoS, IV A, V A, VI A, III DS and now XII: RW? Keep em coming, I would say.

Dammit this makes me want to get a DS, but I'm not a fan of portables, what to do, what to do?
There's nothing wrong with portables. I can't see why people dislike/loath or even hate it so much... Why? Because people who can't/are not allowed to buy TV-consoles get to play games as well?

Buying a DS Lite was no mistake, is no mistake and never shall be a mistake, if you want my opinion. ;)
It's one of the most beautiful gaming machine ever created. And no, I'm not a Nintendo fan, I like Sony just as much, if you were wondering about that.

LunarWeaver
09-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Actually, I'm in the same boat as RiseToFall. I don't own a DS either because I sit on my ass and never go anywhere, but I could just sit on my ass and play it too... But many portable games are made with literally being portable in mind and nothing else and those don't really interest me... Hmm, but if all this Square love turns out well who knows I may buy one after all.

And I agree with Milf, many fans like sequels and remakes and such, and I do as well :jess:. I guess I don't really look at it as "MilKinNG ZOMg" so much as "Expanding a universe I love." (or hopefully will love in this case). Some turn out well...some don't... I'd rather take the good with the bad concerning sequels and spin-offs.

Besides, the Final Fantasy series is already up to XIII, that's the very essence of 'milking' in the first place. If they didn't milk we wouldn't even have XII to begin with :spin:

Crossblades
09-20-2006, 10:09 PM
New details about Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2885

The latest issue of Famitsu holds some new details about one of the new DS RPGs from Square-Enix, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

The game mainly focuses on Vaan and Penelo, who are 18 and 17, respectively. The battle system for the game will be controlled by the DS's stlyus, as the game is a strategy game or sorts. There's no real timeline for the game, the story just mainly focuses on the fact that Vaan and Penelo being air pirates. The game will end up exploring the parts of the relationship between the two characters that the original Final Fantasy XII game could not, and Penelo's dancing ability will apparently play a much larger role in this game.

So far, no US or Japanese release date has been announced. Updates will be made when available.

RiseToFall
09-20-2006, 10:39 PM
New details about Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings

http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2885

The latest issue of Famitsu holds some new details about one of the new DS RPGs from Square-Enix, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

The game mainly focuses on Vaan and Penelo, who are 18 and 17, respectively. The battle system for the game will be controlled by the DS's stlyus, as the game is a strategy game or sorts. There's no real timeline for the game, the story just mainly focuses on the fact that Vaan and Penelo being air pirates. The game will end up exploring the parts of the relationship between the two characters that the original Final Fantasy XII game could not, and Penelo's dancing ability will apparently play a much larger role in this game.

So far, no US or Japanese release date has been announced. Updates will be made when available.

So then it's not a sequel or a prequel just a side game of FF XII?

Crossblades
09-21-2006, 09:28 PM
So then it's not a sequel or a prequel just a side game of FF XII?

Possibly, it could be an alternate universe type of thing. Anyways, here is some propaganda and people who will be on board to making this game

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/ff12rw001.jpg

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2006/092106a.html

Square Enix's latest Final Fantasy spin-off for the Nintendo DS, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, is going to be a side-story to Final Fantasy XII. Vaan and his girlfriend Penelo are the featured characters in Revenant Wings, and the game will focus on their relationship, Penelo's dancing skills, and their life as air pirates.

Combat in Revenant Wings will utilize the touch screen, but no further details have been given. In the meantime, here's who is on board for FFXII: Revenant Wings:

Director and Scenario: Motomu Toriyama (Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XIII)

Executive Producer: Akitoshi Kawazu (Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles)

Producer: Yasuhito Watanabe (Drakengard)

Co-Producer: Eisuke Yokoyama (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King)

Character Design: Ryuma Itou (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance)

Movie Director: Eiji Fujii (Final Fantasy XIII)

Art Supervisor: Isamu Kamikokuryou (Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII)

Art Director: To/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Matsuda (Final Fantasy X-2)

Composer: Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics), Kenichirou Fukui (Einhander, Front Mission 5)

Dynast-Kid
09-22-2006, 04:10 AM
Penelo pulled a Yuna and got sexy!=P

Elpizo
09-22-2006, 06:43 AM
I am now officialy excited for this game. ^^
Judging from the news I read, this isn't just a 'sequel', if you can call it that, but a completely new title, with it's own independant story. That's great, no? Of course with connectiosn to the official XII, but you get what I mean. And are those FMV scenes? 0_o Looks like this game will feature more than just one! (Like FF III DS).
Another thing to look forward too. Good thing we'll get so many Final Fantasy titles next year, otherwise, waiting would be unbearable... Now I can just finish all those Advance titles + FF III DS while waiting for this one.

Crossblades
09-22-2006, 08:37 PM
The official website has been opened

Earlier today, Square-Enix launched the official web site for their new DS RPG, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

While the site is in Japanese, anyone can visit it and see the trailer for the game and download media such as a wallpaper. There are other things like character descriptions, but only those who understand Japanese can understand the descriptions.

To visit the web site, go here

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff12rw/

So far, no Japanese or US release date for Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings has been announced. Updates will be made when available.

Elpizo
09-22-2006, 09:08 PM
The trailer looked good. I do hope, however, taht what we saw were actually FMV's that will be in the game and not some pre-made movie stuff to make us excited <_<

I also read somewhere that this technically isn't FF XII-2, but the next FF. Kinda like this: FF XII, FF XII.5, FF XIII. I believe it was ING where I saw it, don't know if that's a valid source. All I know is that I'm pretyy confident that this won't be like X-2 (I haven't played it, but a lot of people say it's bad.) I'm happy that a Nintendo consoles gets a 'part' of the main series, in a way. It's not just a little spin-off title, but a stand-alone game with some conenctiosn to a previous FF. Awesomeness, I would say. :)

My only fear is that we'll get a lot of DS-bashing now, like: "OMG this should be on PS2!" "DS sucks! This needs to be on PSP!", you know, that stuff.

Crossblades
09-22-2006, 09:31 PM
My only fear is that we'll get a lot of DS-bashing now, like: "OMG this should be on PS2!" "DS sucks! This needs to be on PSP!", you know, that stuff.

They're just jealous:p

No.78
09-22-2006, 10:04 PM
Yay! I have a DS... FF12 first plzthx *slaps square*

I want my FF12 ;_;

Jowy
09-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Trailer's nice. I'm more interested in the actual gameplay though.

Hiraku
09-23-2006, 04:12 AM
According to the official website, there are supposed to be 6 characters.
One of them obviously is Fran. Who can miss the bunny ear?

I'd buy this game in a heartbeat, though, if Ashe can be playable, too... But since she's already a queen, that's not bloody likely :mad:

Tysplo
09-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Penelo pulled a Rikku and went from cute to slut!=PFixed ;)

Dynast-Kid
09-24-2006, 01:32 AM
According to the official website, there are supposed to be 6 characters.
One of them obviously is Fran. Who can miss the bunny ear?

I'd buy this game in a heartbeat, though, if Ashe can be playable, too... But since she's already a queen, that's not bloody likely :mad:

Yeah I noticed that too.I think the guy on the left of her could be Balthier.It would make sense since Fran and Balthier are the ones who introduced them to the whole sky piratin' business.

Penelo pulled a Rikku and went from cute to slut!=PFixed ;)

Wow,thanks!:p

Cid's_Lady_Erin
09-24-2006, 03:07 AM
I feel horribly technologically impaired right now. I can't figure out how to make the trailor on the official site work. When I click on the trailor it brings up a screen with writing in Japanese, "Tokyo Game Show 2006 Trailor", "Square Enix Members Since 2005" and "Close". A pointer for what most obvious item I am missing in this all would be much appreciated, especially now that everyone's said it's a very nice trailor, yes.

Dynast-Kid
09-24-2006, 03:12 AM
I feel horribly technologically impaired right now. I can't figure out how to make the trailor on the official site work. When I click on the trailor it brings up a screen with writing in Japanese, "Tokyo Game Show 2006 Trailor", "Square Enix Members Since 2005" and "Close". A pointer for what most obvious item I am missing in this all would be much appreciated, especially now that everyone's said it's a very nice trailor, yes.

Yeah,I have the same problem.:(

Angi-Kaiser
09-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Indeed, as do I. It wouldn't happen to have been placed on You-Tube yet, would it?

EDIT: Yes it is. And here, for thsoe who can't get it from the site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCsJ42AmE2M

Nifleheim7
09-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Trailer looks great!

Zeromus_X
09-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Kishi was right about Square's marketing scheme. :cat: :(

Dynast-Kid
09-25-2006, 02:06 AM
Yay!Fran and Balthier are in this one!

And Penelo's furious gyrations make me think of Yuna for some reason...

sir helix
09-25-2006, 09:36 PM
i cant wait for this game but i wish the battal system was more classic

Angi-Kaiser
09-26-2006, 02:33 AM
Do we even know what the battle system is like?

Dynast-Kid
09-26-2006, 02:44 AM
Do we even know what the battle system is like?

It's supposed to be like,strategy-based.

boys from the dwarf
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
looks interesting.

it'll either be a good in depth game or a rather pointless spin-off. i'll probably get it.

tidus_rox
10-14-2006, 04:23 AM
sorry if someone already asked this but, when does it come out?

Crossblades
10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1511.html

Following Yasumi Matsuno's departure, Final Fantasy X and X-2 director Matomu Toriyama has taken his role as director and scenario writer for the upcoming Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wing. While the game's story will begin shortly after the events of Final Fantasy XII, the development team refuses to call it "Final Fantasy XII-2." Furthermore, the game's logo was not created by Yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Amano, but rather by Final Fantasy XII art director Isamu Kamikoryou. Toriyama confirmed that players will be able to control their own airship from the very beginning. While Vaan only got involved in Ashe's story during Final Fantasy XII, in this new game he will be the one and only protagonist. That being said, the team apparently also aimed to shed some more light on characters that only made brief appearances in Final Fantasy XII. Vaan's relationship with his girlfriend Penelo has further developed in Revenant Wing, but this time Square Enix aims to emphasize her feminine side, as opposed to the sporty image displayed in Final Fantasy XII.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings has yet to receive an official release date in Japan.

50calCerberus
10-30-2006, 09:27 PM
ill give it a try looks pretty good all the characters exept the rabbit chick look like they could be related though.

Dynast-Kid
10-31-2006, 12:16 AM
ill give it a try looks pretty good all the characters exept the rabbit chick look like they could be related though.

Related as in conneced to the story, or related as in actual blood relatives?

XxSephirothxX
10-31-2006, 03:43 AM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/742/742592p1.html

Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings Update
Details on the battle system and storyline.
by Anoop Gantayat

October 30, 2006 - A few new details have come our way on Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, the DS spinoff of Final Fantasy XII. Dengeki DS Style (a new magazine focusing on the DS and Wii) has an interview with director and scenario writer Motomu Toriyama and co-producer Eisuke Yokoyama, in which the two offered some hints on the game's battle system and storyline.

The game's story takes place following Final Fantasy XII, although Toriyama said that a specific time hasn't been set. Vaan, a pirate, is in search of a treasure, and has just arrived on the floating continent of Puruvama. The game will take place both on this floating continent and on the ground below.

It would be impossible to put in all of Ivalice (the FFXII world), said Yokoyama, but you'll be able to go to the main locations. You'll also be able to see how the characters have gone on to live following the events of Final Fantasy XII, so those who've played the PS2 RPG (it's almost out in America!) will have some bonuses to look forward to.

Due to the portable nature of the DS, the game is being made to be playable in a short bursts. You'll progress through the story speedily, said Toriyama. The story will be comprised of episodes, building up to a large storyline which promises to maintain the Final Fantasy style drama.

Asked if the game would use FFXII's ADB system, Yokoyama said that the battle system is mostly new. However, in order to keep FFXII players from getting confused, there will be a number of shared elements. The Gambit system will be a part of this title, although it will be simplified in order to accommodate beginner players. Also, the battle system will be fully playable with the stylus.

Dengeki asked a question about the number of party members capable of joining your group. To this, Yokoyama responded that Fran and Balthier will definitely join in as party members (they were shown in the Tokyo Game Show trailer, after all). Due to the new game systems, Yokoyama expects there to be more party members than in FFXII.

Summon beasts will apparently play a big role in the game. Toriyama expects Revenant Wings to have the most summon beasts of any Final Fantasy game ever. The summon beasts will be the key to battles, said Toriyama, and their use will be different from that of previous titles.

Revenant Wings will make use of all those nifty features that make the DS so special. In addition to full stylus control, Toriyama hopes to make full use of the dual screens not just for events, but for battles and all game systems as well. The only area being left in the dark at this point is Wi-Fi compatibility. Toriyama feels that the battle system is good for competitive play, but the game won't feature Wi-Fi support unless lag can be eliminated.

Even with all these details, there's still a lot of mystery surrounding Revenant Wings. Screenshots have yet to be shown, for instance. With FFXII set for US release shortly, expect details on this followup to slowly begin trickling out.

I'll get this on the frontsite eventually. Nothing thrilling, but some nice new tidbits. I hope they end up going with the Wi-Fi support.

Elpizo
10-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Those new details make the game look even more promissing. I'm pretty sure Square Enix won't make another X-2. I think we should trust SE and look forward to the game. Maybe if they see there are people interested in it, they'll really put their heart in it?

Tainted Angel
11-20-2006, 07:10 AM

I'd be over that like Rye on a Frenchman. Blitzball > all real sports.

Anyway, I can't blame Squeenix for making more games for each FF universe, primarily because many fans (Myself included) have been asking (ie rabidly clamoring) for more stuff, such as a remake or sequel to VII.

First off..play the sequel's out there. Second.. that truck in the tech demo looked AWFUL!

(That and the stars didn't even make the 'constillations' they did in the orig. :( )

Moon Rabbits
11-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Yay!Fran and Balthier are in this one!

And Penelo's furious gyrations make me think of Yuna for some reason...

lolol.

Final Killer
11-26-2006, 05:50 PM
that trailer makes the game look all the more worthwhile to play, I have a NDS, but no PSP, but then again I really don't care.

Octavious
11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
I have a PSP and no DS :(

Elpizo
12-01-2006, 09:00 PM
YES YES YES! A NEW RW SCAN!

Lolz, sorry for being over excited.
Anyway, look here:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Screenshots2/ff12rwscanfa9.jpg

Interesting. But, while it seems to have in-game screenshots, it still isn't clear if it will be 3D or 2D. Whiel one screen shows 3D models (I think), the other one shows Penelo and Vaan sprites.

The new character is rumored to be called Ryudo, but I cannot confirm this.
But hey, this guy has wings! Interesting...

Still, looks like they have some good ideas for this game!
I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully we'll get more news soon. :)

I'm still wondering if this should be in the RW topic, but people may not look into that one so well, I'll post it here, just close if needed and forgive my mistake in that case. ;)

XxSephirothxX
12-01-2006, 09:54 PM
It just looks like a pre-rendered background, a la the PS1 games, to me. You can see the sprites on it if you look hard. It's just a little hard because it's small and the quality is crap.

Elpizo
12-01-2006, 09:59 PM
It just looks like a pre-rendered background, a la the PS1 games, to me. You can see the sprites on it if you look hard. It's just a little hard because it's small and the quality is crap.
The screen in the lower left-corner indeed contains sprites, but the right screen more looks like 3D models ala FF III DS. That's why it's confusing. If it's 3D, I'll doubt they will use prerendered-backgrounds. FF III DS was full 3D, why go back to less 'advanced' stuff? Sure, they might do it to save up space if that would help...

Well, the quality is not my fault, all scans from this magazines are always like this, gonna complain to whoever puts these on the internet. 0_o

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-01-2006, 10:02 PM
It looks like full 2D to me.

And yeah, let's keep all the RW stuff in one thread until it warrants its own sub-forum.

Elpizo
12-02-2006, 08:11 AM
It looks like full 2D to me.

And yeah, let's keep all the RW stuff in one thread until it warrants its own sub-forum.
Understood, sir. :)

Well, if it'll be 2D then I guess we won't have FMV's, that just wouldn't suit it I think. I mean, the PSX FMV's with IV, V and VI were nice and all, but they really broke the style.

I wonder why the first trailer was 3D then, probably just to show off. :D
Hopefully we'll know it JUMP.

Crossblades
12-02-2006, 01:40 PM
YES YES YES! A NEW RW SCAN!

Lolz, sorry for being over excited.
Anyway, look here:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Screenshots2/ff12rwscanfa9.jpg

Awesome. I'm intrigued to know who this new character is. Perhaps a friend or a foe?

jj984jj
12-06-2006, 06:07 AM
New Info from Famitsu:

FFXII Revenant Wings - NDS - Price/Date undetermined

- Battle screenshots released for the first time
- Movement sceness and battle scenes take place on the same screens seamlessly
- Combat is realtime
- You move characters with the touchpen
- Characters fight based on preset conditions automatically (Gambit)

Elpizo
12-06-2006, 08:42 PM
http://zenixstudios.com/f/ffb94326_uporg606649_122_312lo.jpg

AND ANOTHER NEW SCAN WITH MORE IN-GAME SCREENS AND YAY I'M SO OVER EXCITED!!!

Looks good. Interesting battle system. Seems like we're getting a game with Tactics graphics. Fun. The more I see of this game, the more I want it! Looks like Square is really putting effort in this one! :)

I apologize for the letters on the scan, I did not place them.

Timerk
12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Speculation:

The girl with the wings is holding her sword(s) in way that is very Gabranth-like.

:twocents:

Crossblades
12-07-2006, 03:13 AM
http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2964

Jeux-France brings us more information from Famitsu, this time about the new Nintendo DS game, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

The battles will be in real time and there will be no sorts of transitions between encountering an enemy and entering a battle, like its PS2 counterpart. The game will also be using a system similar to the Gambits from Final Fantasy XII, where players can organize the AI to perform specific tasks at certain times.

The developers seem to be looking to provide a great number of people for the player to join up with, and so far Vaan and Penelo are in the game, with new characters hopefully to be revealed soon.

So far, no Japanese release date has been announced for Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings. Updates will be made when a date is announced, and if Square-Enix announces they will be bringing this game stateside.

Elpizo
12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
AND EVEN MORE SCANS AND THESE HAVE NO TEXT ON THEM AND LOOK NICE!

http://www.finalfantasytr.com/ff12/revenant-wings/01.jpg
http://www.finalfantasytr.com/ff12/revenant-wings/02.jpg
http://www.finalfantasytr.com/ff12/revenant-wings/03.jpg
http://www.finalfantasytr.com/ff12/revenant-wings/04.jpg

Man, what's with all this info coming free? This game starts to look very awesome! And that bird-dude (Llyud) is a playable character, so it seems. Graphics are nice, too. :)

Also, check here:
http://xcomp.gamebrink.com/?p=474

Story sounds interesting. (Still hoping for a Final Boss of the greatness of FF XII's Final Boss, though) And the battle system is like 2,5D ADB. This new race is cool, too. My only question is if the other XII characters will indeed join. They said Balthier and Fran are confirmed... And Llyud is a new character. But what about Ashe and Basch? (And Larsa?!) And I think I was right when I thought that the 'chibi' sprites of Vaan and Penelo will be used on some sort of 'world map'.

abrojtm
12-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Also note that this "Ryudo" seems to appear on the FFXII emblem. That looks a lot like a Basch character portrait on the bottom of the fourth scan.

Crossblades
12-11-2006, 07:01 PM
http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=2971

Recently, the gaming community was given a sneak peak at the upcoming Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings spinoff for the Nintendo DS through Famitsu. Although there is no tentative release date at the moment. The game, however will take place after the events of its predecessor in an island chain called Remless.

These islands are inhabbited by a race of flying people known as the Hume. So far, there is one such character was revealed under the name Llyud, and will meet Vaan and Panelo (the stars of the game) somewhere down the road.

Since the happenings of Final Fantasy XII, Vaan and Panelo have hooked up, becoming partners in love, and the skies. They are now air pirates.

The game appears to be in 2d, like the RPGs we know and love from the SNES era. Battles as well will be in 2d, with up to three people on the field at a time. However, screenshots suggest the return of a gambit system, denoting that the gameplay may have similarities to Final Fantasy XII for the PlayStation 2 (Which comes as no surprise).

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-11-2006, 07:14 PM
These islands are inhabbited by a race of flying people known as the Hume.Uhm.

Crossblades
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM

Exactly what I was thinking

Elpizo
12-12-2006, 06:48 AM

Exactly what I was thinking
Probably a small mistake. We all know it's the Egul race that lives there.

Wenco
12-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Wow.

I have a reason to purchase a handheld gaming system.

I haven't bought one in 6-7 years.

This will be interesting, I'll buy a Nintendo DS for Christmas so I can play this later on when released to the states.

It will be fun to play a Tactics-esque game when I'm in a car. ^_^

Sam250
12-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Damn, i can't say this isn't looking good, SE seems ro be supporting a DS so much lately! Of course the BIG annocment is Dragon Quest 9 being DS exclusive, but still! FF3 DS, FFXII:RW, FFTA DS! And thats not even mentioning all the GBA remakes that are also playable on the DS. Its a good time to own a DS.

I'm really looking forward to this. I still have to buy FFXII yet though, and thats going to take a while, that and FF3 should keep me entertained untill the others arive.

Thats one bad thing about SE supporting Sony and Nintendo, your gunna need 2 consoles and 2 handhelds to play all the games! I have a PS2 and a DS, soon to get a Wii. Won't be getting a PS3...*sigh* i'll miss FFXIII, as well as a few other games. Nor will i get a PSP, but that only has one SE game as far as i know, and even thats a long way off yet.

atlanteay
12-23-2006, 06:58 AM
and new artworks are released as well! i am sooo happy that i bought a DS:D just look at these beautiful artworks, simply stunning!

http://www.ffcompilation.co.uk/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1166792005&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

Elpizo
12-23-2006, 10:19 AM
and new artworks are released as well! i am sooo happy that i bought a DS:D just look at these beautiful artworks, simply stunning!

http://www.ffcompilation.co.uk/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1166792005&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&
Is it me or is that Bangaa artwork missing?

http://www.maj.com/gallery/Elpizo/Artwork/ff12reve37kq9.jpg

Anyway, neat artwork. I'm sooo looking forward to this one. I think people will have to take back their words when they said that FF-sequels suck.

Some good screenshots, too. And I wonder who those two kids always shown with Vaan and Penelo are? Probably new characters? (Very vissible in screen10.)

Judging from the screenshots, I actually think people will get what they want: a playable Bangaa. Can't say for sure, though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Some good screenshots, too. And I wonder who those two kids always shown with Vaan and Penelo are? Probably new characters? (Very vissible in screen10.)Those are Kytes and Filo. Although they don't look much like they did in FFXII.

What makes you think there's going to be a playable bangaa?

Crossblades
12-23-2006, 02:40 PM
awesome shots:) This looks to be one of the greatest games for the DS:)

Elpizo
12-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Some good screenshots, too. And I wonder who those two kids always shown with Vaan and Penelo are? Probably new characters? (Very vissible in screen10.)Those are Kytes and Filo. Although they don't look much like they did in FFXII.

What makes you think there's going to be a playable bangaa?
Well, I haven't played XII (I can't) so forgive me there, but well, in a couple of shots you'll see this Bangaa with Vaan, and it happes in more screenshots in different locations. There are no battle screenshots, but you never know. I'm just guessing things from limitted sources. You can see him a few times and also when they are staring at that crystal-like thing in a screenshot. The way he stands with Vaan and Co makes me think he's part of the team. Don't shoot me if I turn out to be wrong, though... please? :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-23-2006, 07:16 PM
In FFXII, that particular bangaa is a ruthless villain who is obsessed with killing one of the heroes. So I'd be very surprised if he were to suddenly make pals with them in Revenant Wings.

Elpizo
12-23-2006, 10:02 PM
In FFXII, that particular bangaa is a ruthless villain who is obsessed with killing one of the heroes. So I'd be very surprised if he were to suddenly make pals with them in Revenant Wings.
I heard whatever-ya-call him that is after Balthier got pwned in a side-quest and stayed away from the party ever since then. And even if it is not him, we still can get a Bangaa, no?

Edit by Kishi: Gettin' kinda spoilery.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Bagamnan eventually gets bested, yes, but he by no means reforms his behavior. He is last seen getting thrown off a bridge and towards the waiting jaws of some predatory creatures. Revenant Wings shows that he apparently survived, but he is still, to the very core, a conniving, bloodthirsty bastard.

But yes, we could still get to control a bangaa. Just, by all rights, not that particular one.

Elpizo
12-26-2006, 10:27 AM
The Jump Festa trailer of Revenant Wings has been added to the official site!

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff12rw

Just go to trailers and if everything is alright, instead of the old trailer you'll now have the Jump Festa trailer.

It looks neat, there's some nice stuff in it. I like how the Mist Quickenings look in 2D. And there's some Fran and Balthier RW-style artwork in the trailer too. But still no Basch or Ashe. I'm beginning to wonder...

edczxcvbnm
12-27-2006, 09:33 AM
I have very low expectations for this game. The people behind this game I have just about zero faith in. The only thing that could possibly make this game awesome is if they allow us to explore Rosaria and Archadia(probably spelled both those wrong)...which we didn't get a chance to do in FFXII ;_;

Here is to no hope and a rushed game that will be crap!

Elpizo
12-27-2006, 10:35 AM
I have very low expectations for this game. The people behind this game I have just about zero faith in. The only thing that could possibly make this game awesome is if they allow us to explore Rosaria and Archadia(probably spelled both those wrong)...which we didn't get a chance to do in FFXII ;_;

If SE screws a sequel up again it's game-over for FF-sequel things => Less money and that's the very last thing they want. Have some faith! Maybe then Square will see people actually want this game and they'll make it great. Or they can make it so it sucks, and make the people who said it would suck happy.
And in RW, we explore an all new continent, that's even better. And the Egul race looks interesting.

Who says they rush it, anyway, huh? *Sigh* Your opinion I guess. But I hope you really will be very very wrong, it isn't nice, but it would make my day. Then people will finally have to take back their words saying sequels automatically suck. Cause I don't really get why X-2 was so bad, after playing it. Even Dirge of Cerberus doesn't look that horrible.

Oh well, anyway. I'm getting this game, even if it is only to know to know why Vaan slashes Balthier in the end of the trailer...

lufia
12-27-2006, 12:52 PM
ah the beauty. se loves nintendo atm and im having so much fun with my ds lite. can't wait till this game comes out.

Jowy
12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
It looks fucking adorable.

edczxcvbnm
12-27-2006, 04:08 PM

If SE screws a sequel up again it's game-over for FF-sequel things => Less money and that's the very last thing they want. Have some faith! Maybe then Square will see people actually want this game and they'll make it great. Or they can make it so it sucks, and make the people who said it would suck happy.
And in RW, we explore an all new continent, that's even better. And the Egul race looks interesting.

Who says they rush it, anyway, huh? *Sigh* Your opinion I guess. But I hope you really will be very very wrong, it isn't nice, but it would make my day. Then people will finally have to take back their words saying sequels automatically suck. Cause I don't really get why X-2 was so bad, after playing it. Even Dirge of Cerberus doesn't look that horrible.

Oh well, anyway. I'm getting this game, even if it is only to know to know why Vaan slashes Balthier in the end of the trailer...

Dude. I was called FFXII being the best FF ever 4.5 years ago and I was right. I am pretty sure this is going to suck. They took Ivalice out of the creators hands and put it into people who suck and have no clue on what they are doing.

lufia
12-27-2006, 05:36 PM
^nuff said! stop dissing this game already, you havn't even played it yet so we cannot come to a verdict. all your doing is stabbing in the dark

this is what the developer said

... said Toriyama. The story will be comprised of episodes, building up to a large storyline which promises to maintain the Final Fantasy style drama.

thats a promise!

atlanteay
12-27-2006, 06:10 PM

i wonder what that was about... can someone translate the trailer for us? :confused:

Dynast-Kid
12-27-2006, 06:17 PM
That was suspenseful! I'm with Elpizo, I wanna know what happens between Vaan and Balthier! I'm with atlanteay, any Japanese speakers out there?...

And there are more Espers! I love the Espers!<333

And there's a surfer girl!

Elpizo
12-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Well, somebody on Gamespot translated what Vaan and Balthier said:

Vaan: "This is crazy! Would a leading man do something like this!?"
Balthier: "I've stepped down from that role [leading man]."

I wonder what this is all about???

Dynast-Kid
12-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Well, somebody on Gamespot translated what Vaan and Balthier said:

Vaan: "This is crazy! Would a leading man do something like this!?"
Balthier: "I've stepped down from that role [leading man]."

I wonder what this is all about???

I bet Balthier destroyed a magic crystal or something.

edczxcvbnm
12-28-2006, 06:34 AM
^nuff said! stop dissing this game already, you havn't even played it yet so we cannot come to a verdict. all your doing is stabbing in the dark

this is what the developer said

... said Toriyama. The story will be comprised of episodes, building up to a large storyline which promises to maintain the Final Fantasy style drama.

thats a promise!

A developer saying good stuff about a game they are working on to the press? Who would have thunk it?!? I thought he was going to say 'This game is going to be a major let down. Don't bother with it.'

I will dis the game all I want. It is going to suck just like everyone knew 'The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause' was going to suck the minute they found out about it. You don't need to play and beat a game to know it is going to suck. Hell...it doesn't even need to be out or near finished to know it will suck. You can tell a lot by the people surrounding the development and direction of any media project.

Elpizo
12-28-2006, 08:27 AM
The only one who sucks here is YOU and big time. Blind Bashers (also known as people like you) are even more stupid than trolls of flamers, with the only difference being that trolls and flamers can be funny. You fail at that. Sure you can bash the game all you want. Here's the thing: with what reasons? "Oh, I think the people behind this suck they have no idea how to make a good game so they suck" You know what I think? That you haven't been paying attention. You probably ignored all scans, screenshots, game-info, the new trailer and all the other stuff. Yes, you can lie all you want saying you did, but anybody who watched all those at least would have seen that there's effort put into this game. You suck, period. And when this game will be great and I'll be enjoying it, the thought of your face will make my day for a very long time. It's because of people like you the gamersworld is a bad place. You just are dissing and dissing this game because you don't like the team behind it. Get over it, there's no need to immediatly deem a game bad for that, even if you think so. The developers have every rigth in this world to promise their game will be good. They know how to make games right, even if they are not your taste. You know nothing about such stuff. And if you say you can, well then, show me you can do better! But if you ever will make games, they will suck. Why? because I don't like you, you suck. So your games suck too. That's how you think, and that, is wrong. See it like this: I don't like the PSP, but because the PSP isn't good in my eyes doesn't mean there are no good games on it. It's the same here: Just because you don't like the team behind the game doesn't mean the game can't be good.

Leeza
12-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Elpizo, I think you have been at EoFF long enough to know that your above post is totally unacceptable. Do not flame other members of this site. Flame the game, etc., but do not ever flame a member.

edczxcvbnm
12-28-2006, 03:57 PM
ACK! Use paragraphs so your rant can at least be easier to read.

1) I don't have to be able to make a good game. If I have to know how to make a good game in order to call any game bad then no one should ever give a game a rating below 10 because they can't do better. This is a classic strawman arguement.

2) Not liking any games on a system is so no games are good on it is not the same as disliking a group of people who have yet to churn out a good game. The system has nothing to do with any development team or the game they make.

3) I have been paying attention. The trailers and info about FFX sounded good also but that game turned out to be pretty bad also. But I guess I am just lying because if I had been paying attention there must have been no way I could have come to this conclusion...right? WRONG! Some stuff looks good but I have not seen any gameplay impressions yet.

I also never said the game can't surprise the hell out of me and can't be good. I am saying it will suck though. There is always that 0.0001% chance that I might actually be wrong :D

Elpizo
12-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Elpizo, I think you have been at EoFF long enough to know that your above post is totally unacceptable. Do not flame other members of this site. Flame the game, etc., but do not ever flame a member.
So it's okay to flame a game and all the rest but no member... So (example) if people (not saying I am, mind you) are hurt by somebody flaming their favorite game, that's alright (they probably won't tell, that's why people don't know), but flaming a member is unacceptable. I want to add something here, but I'll be wise and keep my jaw shut. And, I'm human, I can make mistakes.

ACK! Use paragraphs so your rant can at least be easier to read.

1) I don't have to be able to make a good game. If I have to know how to make a good game in order to call any game bad then no one should ever give a game a rating below 10 because they can't do better. This is a classic strawman arguement.

2) Not liking any games on a system is so no games are good on it is not the same as disliking a group of people who have yet to churn out a good game. The system has nothing to do with any development team or the game they make.

3) I have been paying attention. The trailers and info about FFX sounded good also but that game turned out to be pretty bad also. But I guess I am just lying because if I had been paying attention there must have been no way I could have come to this conclusion...right? WRONG! Some stuff looks good but I have not seen any gameplay impressions yet.

I also never said the game can't surprise the hell out of me and can't be good. I am saying it will suck though. There is always that 0.0001% chance that I might actually be wrong :D
Look, I'll ask you this: Have you played the game? No. So can you be 99.9999 % sure it will suck? No. Can you say the game will suck after you've played it, yes, you can. People change, even game's creators. Even game's creators can make a game good despite what you think of them. You can't know until you've seen (or better) played the game itself. Being 99,9999% sure about a game before palying it is something that's in my eyes impossible, because the gaming experience itself has the greatest influence in somebody's opinion about a game.

If I had to do such a thing before playing, I would base it on known facts about gameplay, graphics and storyline, which are 3 things much more important than the team behind the game. (In my opinion, when I'm playing a game, I don't care about the team that made it.)

So far, what do we have? Graphics, lessee... Those who like 2D can't deny these gfx look good, if not great, it's a matter of taste.

Gameplay: FF XII's gameplay, the gambits, the mistquickenings are back, converted to 2D, all a mayor plus, as this is a sequel to the great XII itself. If you watched the trailer, which you of course did, you have seen the battles in action, so you know how it will work. Battles will still use the gambits and (because it is DS) also the stylus for selecting enemies. The creators also stated for this game having the most summons of all Final Fantasies and that summons will be used in an original way.

Storyline? So far, dark point to judge. What do we know? Lessee... Vaan, Penelo, Balthier and Fran are back. New playable characters. New continent. Some old XII locatiosn back as well. New Egul race. Vaan + Penelo are skypirates. They visit the new continent. All we know, and oh yes, somebody from XII is back from the death. So far, it has everything it probably needs to have the potential to make up a good story.

Now if you combine all these elements, there's some hope that this will be the succesful sequel fans hope it will be.

So here's the thing you know: In my judgement (mine, mind you), I didn't bother to look at the game's team at all. A team makes the game, true. But doesn't make the gaming experience. And that's the most important thing. Having fun with a game and enjoying it. Who cares what team made it? As long as the game is enjoyable, it's good. And this is something you can only know for sure when you have played the game. And unless you can time-travel, you (me neither) haven't played this. So no I can't be sure it will suck, but neither can you that it will. Not for 99,9999% at least.

Now, to be honest, you're one of the few this-game-will-suck-and-I'm-sure-of-it people I came across (and I came across quite a few) that actually has a reason to say "This game will suck and I'm (almost) sure of it."
I'm not very much annoyed by you, rather by the reason to bash this game, but well, at least you had one. It's something different, for a change.
If you're sure from the beginning that a game will suck because of the people behind it, you're probably going to miss out some good games, I'm afraid.

And to please the admin I give you my excuses for saying you suck, I kinda lost my patience there. So there, I'm really sorry, no jokes. But I still strongly disagree.

Now, I hope this post was acceptable. And it's devided in paragraphs, too.

Timerk
12-28-2006, 09:46 PM
People > Video Games

:twocents:

Crossblades
01-02-2007, 04:41 PM
New screenshots
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss122206-1.html

New artwork(actually we've seen some of it)
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/art/ff12rwart010107-1.html

New propaganda
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/propaganda/ff12rwpropaganda122106-1.html

Dynast-Kid
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
The gameplay looks good. I could recognize some of the enemies from FFXII (Alraunes, Clay Golems, Cactoids), and Belias and Shemhazai.

And Ba'Gamnan is back?

Elpizo
01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I thought those screens, artwork and propaganda had been out for some time already? Ah, must have been on gamespot. It's still nice to see how the game's shaping up.

lufia
01-02-2007, 09:27 PM
i couldn't agree more with Elpizo !!! and admin he really shouldn't apologise since edczxcvbnm had no reasonable reason to diss

anyways i found this clip of ff12 revenant wings lying around
http://www.jeuxvideo.tv/final-fantasy-xii-revenant-wings-video-29740.html

:choc2:

edczxcvbnm
01-02-2007, 09:30 PM
If I have no reasonable reason to diss then no one has no reasonable reason to say anything good about it either. You have not played it therefore you appearantly can't come to any conclusions about how good or bad the game is.

lufia
01-02-2007, 09:35 PM
then lets leave it at that :choc2:

edczxcvbnm
01-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Hellz no I will not leave it at that. This game WILL suck because of the reason I state just like all movies directed by Uwe Boll suck because he is involved with it.

lufia
01-03-2007, 01:15 AM

the same person who worked on ffx is working on this game aswell.

hreh! ffx was great game, go read the reviews of all reputable game reviewers and players.
http://au.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy10/review.html?mode=web

how many people did u predict that will hate this game? according to 20,797 votes from average gamers, 2 percent voted the game as mediocre and below. i say your pretty accurate on your predictions *cough 'puke' cough*.

keep hating man its nice, issues

Elpizo
01-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Hellz no I will not leave it at that. This game WILL suck because of the reason I state just like all movies directed by Uwe Boll suck because he is involved with it.
You're going as far as stating yoru opinion = fact and now there dude, that's wrong. People aren't even allowed to believe this game will not suck because you are so entirely convinced it will suck and that it will suck because you say so. Wrong dude, just wrong. Leave it dude, you won't convince any people this way.

If RW's team will screw this game up I need a definition abot 'suck' and 'screw up'.
Graphics? They look very nice for a DS game, beautiful 2D and great backgrounds as well, kinda like the Playstation FF's. But this team made it, so they automatically suck, right?
Gameplay? XII's gameplay, a bit more simplified and transferred to 2D. But it sucks because this team made it.
Story? So far, we can't say, but it will suck because the team behind it sucks.
Conclusion? It doesn't matter how well the game plays or looks (2 important factors of a game), it sucks because this team made it.

Fantastic logic, indeed! I wish I could reason like that.

The problem is, you diss it entirely based on the team, while I believe for something good about the game based upon what we know about the game besides just the team.

Angi-Kaiser
01-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Hmmmm... I say that making any major decisions about this game yet would be a folly. We don't know any major points about the story, and that is what usually makes or breaks a game (there are exceptions however, such as Children of Mana).

Now, Edczxcvbnm, you said that from what you had heard about FF X, you thought it would be good, but you ended up not liking the game. Is it not possible that this game could be the oposite: You hate the initial info, but love the game?

And the same is true on the other hand: Those who are defending it with a rightious fury right now might play it and decide that it really is a sucky game.

Me... From how much I'm liking FF XII, I'm egear for a sequel, and really want to think that it will be good. I am weary about the fact that it is in the hands of different people. The things I loved about the characters and the game before could very well be botched. I'm also worried about what's going to happen to Pennelo. In an interview, one of the people heading the game stated that where the original game focused on her "sporty" side, the sequel will tryto focus on her femminine side. I'm really afraid that they might turn her into a weak, overly emotional character. My greatest fear is that they will mess up the characters established in the first. But, only time will tell.

edczxcvbnm
01-03-2007, 04:57 PM
You're going as far as stating yoru opinion = fact and now there dude, that's wrong.

What? You have not heard? My opinion does = fact :D

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=96346

Northcrest
01-07-2007, 03:49 AM
I know the question I'm gonna ask is kind of stupid but what is this topic about a new game related to FFXII or something else?

Elpizo
01-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I know the question I'm gonna ask is kind of stupid but what is this topic about a new game related to FFXII or something else?
Revenant Wings is a game that takes place after FF XII. Most see it as a spin-off or sequel to XII even though the creators said we technically should see it as the next Final Fantasy. It takes place 1 year after FF XII and follows Vaan and Penelo's adventures as Sky Pirates on a new floating continent. For gameplay the gambits are back and so are the Mist Quickenings. It's also said that people who haven't played FF can easily get into this game. But from the looks of it I don't think it will be a second MQ (That's the new popular insult for RW, BTW). The game is also a part of SE 'Ivalice Alliance' which includes this, FFT PSP port and FFTA2. And that's about all we know.

Oh yeah, the main site of RW was updated guys. Just check the characters page. It now show Llyud, Vaan, Penelo and Ba'Gamnan. But also many other silhouets (inlcuding Fran and Balthier) but also a moogle! Maybe we get a playable moogle?

Crossblades
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
New screenshots

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss012307-1.html

Elpizo
01-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Nice. It's clearly part of the Ivalice Alliance. The Lamia+Zombie+Malboro sprites look almost identical to the sprites of FFTA. Aside from screen, it's been a while since we heard anything about this game.

Dynast-Kid
01-24-2007, 03:53 AM
El o El. Did I spot a Tonberry?...

And why do I have a feeling that these extra summons are going to be random monsters captured off of the battle field? That's what I took from the Shemhazai screenshot.

finaloblivion
01-26-2007, 10:54 PM
ok well i was a little skeptical about it at first but i must admit...this game has caught my eye. 12 was for me, the perfect RPG. you can disagree, its merely opinion. i loved the characters, and the story, and i would love to see those characters continued in another game. the screen shots and trailers of the game play that ive seen have been well, wow, for a 2d game. however, im very disappointed with the character designs....extremely, actually. i hate the particular designer, and i think the characters look horrible, especially in the cg. the sprites are awesome, but the profiles and cg...well...i think it's horrible. not in the vein of 12's realistic and detailed and beautiful design of the characters. i could definitely have seen more of a FFT style design to the characters. at least it would have been consistent with 12. then again, different team, different designs. doesnt mean i cant be angry about it tho. either way, im pretty sure the love of 12 and the way this game is looking is probably going to put a DS in my hands and in my possession, albeit just for this game...so what. that's how i roll. i buy systems for ff.

Gabranth
01-28-2007, 07:45 PM
i found this preview on youtube, sorry if it's already been posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87zraiFC_0A

Crossblades
02-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Japanese release date has been set

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2007/020107c.html

Square Enix has confirmed, via its website, that Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings will be released in Japan this spring. The title is now slated for an April 26 release date, adding to an already well-stocked DS lineup.

The site now also comes equipped with a video, showcasing scenes from the game, an introductory sequence, and short vignettes featuring each of the game's characters. The full cast, as shown in the video, includes each of the principles (save for Ashe) from Final Fantasy XII, as well as several of that game's supporting cast members. Kytes, Ba'gamnan, and Tomaj will now be playable, as will several new characters, including the angel-like Llyud, and Eilo, a young girl. There also appears to be a playable moogle character, although its identity has not yet been revealed.

There has been no word yet as to when North American gamers can expect FFXII: RW, but expect RPGamer to bring you news of such an announcement as soon as it occurs. To see the video yourself, go here.

Elpizo
02-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Hmm... That's pretty quick, isn't it? The game hasn't been in development for a year! But okay, so at the end of april people will start importing and then we'll finally know the truth: Has Square Enix succeeded in making a good sequel?

I really hope so. And I hope even more that the game will feel complete and finished. It's still 3 months, yes, but still, in total there isn't much time between its announcement and its release. Took them way longer to make FF III or FF CC: RoF.

Well, I'm hoping for something good. Like, most of all, the story.

Dynast-Kid
02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Right now, all I really care about is why Vaan tries to kill Balthier. I've observed that segment several times and they appear to be in soem crystal chamber (a large statue in the corner) and there's a big blob of pixels (I think it's supposed to be Fran! At least it looks kind alike her) is hunched over on the side of the screen. Vaan then slashes at Balthier, as he jumps over to guard/protect "Fran".

It's all so suspenseful!

Crossblades
02-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Hmm... That's pretty quick, isn't it? The game hasn't been in development for a year! But okay, so at the end of april people will start importing and then we'll finally know the truth: Has Square Enix succeeded in making a good sequel?

I really hope so. And I hope even more that the game will feel complete and finished. It's still 3 months, yes, but still, in total there isn't much time between its announcement and its release. Took them way longer to make FF III or FF CC: RoF.

If they are releasing this quick, then this means they have been developing this game for quite some time and decided to announce it to the public after they were halfway finished. It's what I think though, I could be wrong

Elpizo
02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Right now, all I really care about is why Vaan tries to kill Balthier. I've observed that segment several times and they appear to be in soem crystal chamber (a large statue in the corner) and there's a big blob of pixels (I think it's supposed to be Fran! At least it looks kind alike her) is hunched over on the side of the screen. Vaan then slashes at Balthier, as he jumps over to guard/protect "Fran".

It's all so suspenseful!
Absolutely. Ever since I saw that little scene, I have been 99% sure that RW will offer us the typical good FF story. After all, the makers promised that, didn't they? Too bad that whoever will import it first and tell us about it (be it here or on another forum, be it a ROM or an import), won't be able to tell us more about the story...

If they are releasing this quick, then this means they have been developing this game for quite some time and decided to announce it to the public after they were halfway finished. It's what I think though, I could be wrong
Yeah, that's probably it.

Crossblades
02-04-2007, 04:03 PM
New artwork

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/art/ff12rwart020307-1.html

Dynast-Kid
02-04-2007, 10:48 PM
The Garchimacera is adorable.

Elpizo
02-09-2007, 04:28 PM
More Revenant Wings news:

On the official site a gameplay movie has been added to the trailer section. It also plays on the main page of the site. It's quite nice, so be sure to check it out!

Also, a limitted edetion of a crystal white DS Lite has been announced. Nicknamed "Sky Pirates Edition".
http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070209/ffrw01.htm

And here's some more artwork:
http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=balthieran0.png

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=franof7.png

LauraD
02-16-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm so torn - the n64 was my first system, so I never played anything prior to it and my GOD watching me play the original mario is hysterical because all I seem to be able to do is fall off the damn ledges BUT -

It is sad that I want to play Revenant Wings because I want to see what becomes of the characters from FFXII? *sigh*

Oh and thanks for the updates! That video is great!

lufia
02-18-2007, 02:24 PM
ice find :P

Elpizo
02-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Two new scans:

http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/ds/final_fantasy_12_revenant_wings/scan_15.jpg

http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/ds/final_fantasy_12_revenant_wings/scan_14.jpg

The second scan show something rumored to be called the 'license ring' and Shiva and her happy family (?).

Angi-Kaiser
02-20-2007, 03:08 AM
Hmmm... Am I the only one who sees quite a bit of similarities between this "License ring" and the sphere grid? I'm interested to see where they take it.

Crossblades
02-20-2007, 11:45 PM
game boxart

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/packaging/ff12rw1.jpg

Elpizo
02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/ff12rw

It is time to check the official page yet again. ;)
So far the trailer section of the site had the trailer and 2 gameplay videos.

Now the third gameplay video is up showing something that I missed in every FF after IX: AIRSHIP FLYING! YAY! And the world map is also back. I love it. Airship Flying rules, period. :p

Also, I find that this game has a rather interesting mix of 2D and 3D. I hope they will use this style in more FF's on the DS (like, FFTA2?).

There is also some new things at the character section (Nono IS cute ^^ ), Game System and Lemurés.

Only 2 more months until the importing-madness can begin...

Crossblades
02-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Only 2 more months until the importing-madness can begin...

But at least 7 more months till it reaches the states. Maybe more =(

But that trailer looks nice. It's shaping up to be a great DS game

Angel_from_hell
02-26-2007, 07:03 AM
I think that the new game looks rather intresting, I think it is nice to see that they make all diffrent kinds of Final Fantasy games nowdays and just don´t concentrate on 3D games.
But one thing that makes me mad is that they want to force us to buy every singel consol that comes out, to play all the Final Fantasy games you need a: Playstation 2, Playstation 3, DS, Gamecube, PSP and so on. Who can affored buying all of them, I want to play Final Fantasy 13 I am dying for it but I can never affored a Playstation 3 since it is most expensive in Europe.

Any way the new Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wing looks great and I would love to play it.

Here is some pics I found: http://www.level7.nu/spel/spel.php?id=2951 (The site is on swedish but there are images from the game)

Crossblades
02-27-2007, 02:21 PM
6 new propaganda

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/propaganda/ff12rwpropaganda022607-1.html

Elpizo
02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Some more info:

From what I heard, there's over 50 summons in this game.
Summons are devided in 3 categories: Flying, Melee and Range.
There are 5 elements (Fire, water, earth, thunder, none).
Summons are also devided in ranks (Like Shiva = Rank III, Darling Shiva = Rank II, Baby Shiva = Rank I)

Mist quickenings are back. Some Mist quickenings and summons will be obtained through sidequests and not through the main story. (Like XII, I guess?) The License Ring also has a hand in how many summons one can call upon at the same time (or something like that, not sure).

The airship you'll be flying around in, the Beiluge, is enormous. In the Trailer Volume 3 one could see Vaan walking around in a Town, right? Wrong. That's not a town, its the lounge area of the Beiluge.

Also, the game's main story will be around 50% of the game itself, the other 50% will be sidequests (Like FF XII, huh?).

Crossblades
02-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Some more info:

Summons are also devided in ranks (Like Shiva = Rank III, Darling Shiva = Rank II, Baby Shiva = Rank I)

Mist quickenings are back. Some Mist quickenings and summons will be obtained through sidequests and not through the main story. (Like XII, I guess?) The License Ring also has a hand in how many summons one can call upon at the same time (or something like that, not sure).

The airship you'll be flying around in, the Beiluge, is enormous. In the Trailer Volume 3 one could see Vaan walking around in a Town, right? Wrong. That's not a town, its the lounge area of the Beiluge.

Also, the game's main story will be around 50% of the game itself, the other 50% will be sidequests (Like FF XII, huh?).

Where did you get this info?:confused:

Elpizo
02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Some more info:

Where did you get this info?:confused:

Visiting other forums where people get translations of scans quicker than here is a good thing, believe me. ;)

Never said its 100% correct, but the guy who got this is pretty reliable, since all his other info I got from him was pretty accurate too. And it seems to mach with the scans and the trailers on the site.

jessica85r
02-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Originally I was turned off by the new artwork, but I'mstarting to warm up to it.

The new ship looks like an Esper.

Dynast-Kid
03-06-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm loving this game so far...

Elpizo
03-09-2007, 09:04 PM

And trailer Volume 5 is up guys! So we get some in-game Winged Judge action. I take it that he's an antagonist now.

And here's the scan of the Winged Judge:

http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/54231020070302_213747_0_big.jpg

Nice... I also like the DS versions of FF XII's music. I believe that whoever made FF XII's OST said that there are only 3 new tracks in RW, all otehrs are reused FF XII music. Not really that bad, I kinda liked FF XII's OST. Some originality would have been nice, though. Oh well...

Crossblades
03-10-2007, 02:03 PM

And trailer Volume 5 is up guys! So we get some in-game Winged Judge action. I take it that he's an antagonist now.

I saw some jobs from FFTA. Does this mean the return of jobs for our characters? :eek:

Elpizo
03-10-2007, 06:13 PM

I saw some jobs from FFTA. Does this mean the return of jobs for our characters? :eek:
I don't think so, if I might be honest. The FFTA jobs here are characters, I've seen that in almost most trailer Volumes. This game shares many similarities in terms of graphcis with FFTA. I'm sure you've seen the Zombies, Lamias and Tonberries in one of the screens/trailers, right? Almost exactly the same as FFTA, just some DS upgrade.

And with the license ring, 50 summons, I think there's no real need for a job system. I think... Unless they want all 3 games of the Ivalice Alliance to have a job system... I think that if it would have a job system, we would know by now, with the game's release only being less than 2 months away.

We'll probably see the jobs again in FFTA2, and of course in the other Ivalice Alliance game: FFT: The Lion Wars (we even get new jobs there, so, good job stuff in sight).

Crossblades
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Some more pics and art

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss031007-1.html

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/art/ff12rwart031007-1.html

No.78
03-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Fran looks awesome, Balthier looks like a gay chav =/

Remon
03-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Who are those small little characters around Balthier Fran Penelo and Vaan?

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rw85.jpg

Angi-Kaiser
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
One of them is Kytes, and one of them looks amazingly like Ashe (The one with the pink skirt). I don't know about the other two.

Crossblades
03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
One of them is Kytes, and one of them looks amazingly like Ashe (The one with the pink skirt).

The one in the pink shirt is Filo.

Angi-Kaiser
03-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Skirt, not shirt. The one on the right side of the photo, by the blonde guy wearing armor.

Crossblades
03-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Skirt, not shirt. The one on the right side of the photo, by the blonde guy wearing armor.

It's still Filo. And I meant to type in Skirt

Elpizo
03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Clear picture of the Winged Judge:

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/9464/judgeofwingij7.png

Angi-Kaiser
03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Filo is the one on the left, next to Kytes. Filo's hair is brown. I'm talking about the girl on the Right, who is blonde and looks like Ashe.

Crossblades
03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Filo is the one on the left, next to Kytes. Filo's hair is brown. I'm talking about the girl on the Right, who is blonde and looks like Ashe.

Have you beaten FF XII yet? If not, then don't look at the bottom spoiler

The one in armor is Basch. Remember in the ending of FF XII, he became a Judge to protect Larsa. But the girl does look like Ashe. Could be her

gudkid
03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
i ain't got no DS... only PS2...
bummer......
ain't got no mullah as well to buy....
waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

by the way, this is a bit off the topic but i just wanna ask how to put that SIG thingy? i'm quite new to the forums....

Dynast-Kid
03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
That girl Angi-Kaiser is talking about is defintely Ashe.

Elpizo
03-16-2007, 07:47 AM
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=fr_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.jeux-france.com%2fimages0_4_19603.html

Larsa, Ashe and Basch will thus show up in FF XII: Revenant Wings.

Crossblades
03-16-2007, 03:38 PM
New screenshots and some new(along with some old)artwork

screenshots page 1
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss031507-1.html

screenshots page 2
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss031507-2.html

screenshots page 3
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss031507-3.html

artwork page 1
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/art/ff12rwart031507-1.html

artwork page 2
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/art/ff12rwart031507-2.html

Elpizo
03-16-2007, 03:53 PM
So far, the world map of RW looks like the coolest World Map we had in a Final Fantasy so far, in my humble little opinion.

Crossblades
03-16-2007, 05:32 PM
So far, the world map of RW looks like the coolest World Map we had in a Final Fantasy so far, in my humble little opinion.

I agree. I'm glad SE has come to their senses:)

Elpizo
03-16-2007, 07:35 PM

And like on every friday, there is a new trailer volume up! This one focussing on Mist Quickenings, which look awesome spritified. I think I'm gonna love Llyud's limits. Angel Wings FTW!

BUT, trailer volume 1 is also updated! It now shows a bit more of the ruins they visit AND full-motion videos. YAY! The quality is below FF III's FMV I would say on first glance, but if they intend to put more than just 1 FMV in this game, that is to be expected! Overal, I love it, and I love how the FMV spans over the 2 screens.

So what do you guys think? Happy there will probably be more than one FMV in this game? Or would you guys rather have no FMVs? I'm happy they are in it (or at least one). The DS has power, do something with it. :)

Crossblades
03-20-2007, 03:22 AM
More screenshots and artwork

screenshots
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss031907-1.html

artwork
http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/art/ff12rwart031907-1.html

Elpizo
03-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Clearer scan showing Larsa, Ashe and Basch.

http://www.jeux-france.com/images1_4_19641.html

Crossblades
03-30-2007, 10:42 PM
new screens and propaganda

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss032507-1.html

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/propaganda/ff12rwpropaganda032507-1.html

and trailer 7 is up. Plus, the character section has been updated

Here is some info I got from the wiki page

Gameplay

[edit] Battle system
Preliminary reports on the battle system have indicated that the game will have a modified version of Final Fantasy XII's Active Dimension Battle system; however, it can be played entirely with the stylus. When seen, the battle system looks strikingly like an RTS but with more depth in terms of character attacks and functionality. Like in Final Fantasy XII, battles initiate once the party comes in contact with the enemy, and the characters will attack automatically. The player will be given the option to use the stylus to give commands to the characters by tapping on them with the stylus. It will be possible to change their target, set gambits, use various abilities, and more. Area spells can be cast by drawing a rectangle around the enemy with the stylus.[2]

[edit] Summoning
Espers will return in Revenant Wings and will have a larger role than in Final Fantasy XII; Director Motomu Toriyama has said Revenant Wings will have more summons than any previous Final Fantasy game.[1] Summon abilities are learned via the new License Ring system.[3] The number of summons are suggested by Weekly Jump to be around 50, classified in different categories, with each character able to summon a large number depending on their capacity.[3]

Scattered across the playfield area is the "Summoning Gate", that could be used to summon Espers to aid in battle. The ability to summon the different entities depend on the "Gate Capacity" of the player character. Summons are ranked from I to III, with Rank I and II able to manifest in large numbers, as opposed to Rank III that summons only one entity. Summons are also differentiated by varying elements, such as fire, ice, zero, and recovery. [4]

[edit] License Ring
The License Ring is revealed to be used to bind a summon beast with the player. Each slot in the License Ring is placed with an Auracite to create a pact with the summon beast.[4]

[edit] Types
Each character is distinguished according to three types; the unofficial name being Direct Type, Indirect Type and Flight Type. Direct Type characters attack at a close range, while Indirect Types attacks from afar, and Flight Types are able to fly, unbound to terrain. The types oppose each other in the manner where Direct wins over Indirect, Indirect wins over Flight and Flight wins over Direct.[4]

[edit] Synthesizing
The element of alchemy and synthesizing is used in the game, where the player obtains recipes and materials necessary for the synthesis process. Only the player can obtain the materials, of which high grade material will enhance the equipment to which it is synthesized.[4]

[edit] Setting

The Purvama LemurésA few locations in the Ivalice of Final Fantasy XII return in Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, along with a new setting: Lemurés. Described in the official website as a legendary Purvama (Floating Continent) raised into the skies by the god Falsanos long ago, this land is ruled by a magical stone known as the “Sacred Crystal” which erected a barrier to shield the Purvama from the rest of the world. In time, the “Legend of the Floating Land” became an ambition for Sky Pirates who seek the island and what riches are on it. The ruins of Lemurés are where the Aegyl reside.

The Aegyl are a human-like race with wings sprouting from their backs and a life-span of 40 years. Due to being shielded within Lemurés, the Aegyl have no knowledge of the outside world.

The magicite in Lemurés are found as Auracite and Cloudstones. Auracites are used in the License Ring to summon beasts, while Cloudstones are known to raise the floating sky continents.

Dynast-Kid
03-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Is that Cu Sith supposed to be some Moogle? Gawd, it's ugly...

And WHOA, that Judge of Wings is scary!

Diango12
03-31-2007, 12:08 AM
Hoo Smirkers! I just saw the trailers and updated site and MY GOD THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD! Vaan - Penelo (she's a dancer now awesome!) and some new faces and of course theirs baltheir..

The same setting the same theme this is great! But what really caught my eye was the fast pase non stop action, man i dont know how else to express my enjoyment - FF lives again.

Elpizo
03-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Here is a translation of Trailer 7! Thanks to ffxii.net for translating this!

Penelo: Ra... Larsa... denka!
Penelo: La... Larsa.. Your majesty!
Vaan: Konna tokoro ni ite iinokayo?
Vaan: Is it all right for you to be here?

Title: Trailer Vol. 7 – Ivalice – Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings

Vaan: Kyouryokusuruyo! Omae mo iroiro atte komatterun darou?
Vaan: Let us help you! You have a lot of dilemma, right?

Kytes: Yappari Basch-shogun wa Dalmasca no Eiyuu nanda.
Kytes: It’s true. General Basch is the hero of Dalmasca.

Tomaj: Ivalice no ??? ga sekkin chu.
Tomaj: Ivalice’s airship fleet is closing in

Title: Katsute no Nakama to no saikai.
Title: The Reunion of Former Comrades

Ashe: … zannen desu ga saikai no yorokobi o katari au jikan wa arimasen.
Ashe: … Unfortunately, we do not have the time to talk about our pleasurable reunion.

Basch: Dewa ichido chijou de kitekurenaika. Soko ni ‘kyouryokusha’ mo iru
Basch: Then, would you all return to the land once again? There are helpers there as well.

Larsa: Minna-san ga korareru to kiitara itemotattemo irarenakute.
Larsa: When I heard that everyone was coming, I couldn’t stand to wait.

Title: Sokoku no kiki ni sairin suru Jouou
Title: The Queen who once again faces a Country Crisis

Ashe: Sorenara Imasugu ni ??? de aru Tsubasa no Judge o oubekidawa.
Ashe: If that’s the case, we need to pursue Judge of Wings at once.

Ashe: Anata wa kawaranai no ne. Ima no watashi wa … dou mieru?
Ashe: You didn’t change. What do you think about… the present me?

Ashe: Aredake no chikara o motsu ishi ga hiromattara. Izure mata ookina senran ga okoru gamoshirenai
Ashe: If the stone of such power is spread around. It would cause another massive war to occur.

Title: Hitobito o mamoru shinnen no kishi
Title: The knight who believes in protecting the people

Basch: Ima wa teikoku no ningen da. Dalmascca o mamoru tsugi no eiyuu was kiminanodazo.
Basch: I’m an Archadian now. The next hero to protect Dalmasca… is you.

Basch: Judge no nao tsuku koto de teikoku ni fushinkan o dakumono mo fue teitena.
Basch: Using the name of the judge, it would increase the number of people who distrust the Empire.

Basch: Hitobito no negai sono omoi so:skull::skull::skull::skull:e heika gojishin no negai wa subete ni hitotsu desho.
Basch: Thinking of the wish of people, then your majesty’s own wish. It is all is same, right?

Title: Heiwa ni tsukusu shonen outei
Title: Young Emperor who Serve Peace.

Larsa: Sore ni konkai no ikken wa omotta ijyou no ookina mondai ni narouto :skull::skull::skull::skull:eimasuka. Minna-san Tsubasa no Judge to youbareru jinbutsu wa gozonji desuka?
Larsa: The problem which occurred this time is much larger than which we expected. Does everyone know about the persona known as the Judge of Wings?

Larsa: Nandaka Kytes-san ya Filo-san ni wa sakerareteiru kiga surundesu. Yappari (literally: As expected) Teikoku wa mada osorerareteiruno desho?
Larsa: For some reason, I feel that Kytes and Filo are avoiding me. They still fear the Empire?

Larsa: Jidai ga kawatte mo hito no kokoro wa kawarazu nokorimasu.
Larsa: Although the era has changed, the heart of human will not change.

Title: Butai wa futatabi Ivalice e
Title: The Stage Returns to Ivalice

Ashe: Chi o nagasu koto wa tsugunai de was arimasen! Anatagata ga kono kuni o midasouto iunonara… watashi wa mamoru!
Ashe: I would not let blood be shed! If you’re going to mess up this country… I will protect it.

Basch: Tashika ni watashi wa itsuwari no Judge da. Dakarakoso nashieta koto ga aru! Ikite iru mono no mirai o tsukuri ageru koto da!
Basch: It is true that I’m a fake judge… hence; there is something which I must accomplish. I will create a future for those who are alive.

Sounds good. No longer a cartoonish, nerfed down game with a simple story for RPG n00bs, huh?

EDIT: Reddas' crew and Odin are back to kick some behind!
http://up.uppple.com/src/up2844.jpg

Crossblades
04-01-2007, 08:13 PM
EDIT: Reddas' crew and Odin are back to kick some behind!
http://up.uppple.com/src/up2844.jpg

I hope they're playable this time:)

Elpizo
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
New scans:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8591/77050up1087122893lorz2.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3136/77051up1088122477lohl3.jpg
I love the Dragoon design.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9333/77057up1089122490lojh6.jpg
Odin and Ramuh.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5504/77063up1090122499loye0.jpg

Crossblades
04-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Gilgamesh Returns!

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/propaganda/ff12rw24.jpg

Hazzard
04-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Oh my god...I am so getting this game because of Gilzzzz....He's like the best rival in the whole of gaming!

_Einhänder
04-18-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm gonna get this and nab someone else's DS. Only because I need to put this story to rest.

Elpizo
04-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Revenant Wings reviewed!

One of the most highly anticipated DS games has seen its first reviews appear in the Japanese press. The quarterly Dengeki DS & Wii Style will go down in history (quick -- update the appropriate Wikipedia pages!) as having provided the first reviews of Square Enix's Final Fantasy XII sequel, Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings.

Three editors from the six strong review staff shared scores and opinions on the game. Misawa, a super hardcore gamer who likes western games, gave the game an 85 out of 100. Wakasama, a super hardcore gamer who loves locking himself up with RPGs and simulation games and buys games on release day even if he doesn't have time to play them, awarded the title 90 out of 100. Finally Tarou Hayashi, a game fan who'll try out any genre but has recently found himself playing action and puzzle games, gave the title a 90 out of 100 and flagged it with a "recommended" mark.

The comments from the three reviewers suggests that Square Enix delivered a product that will be friendly for all.

Misawa praised the good flow of the mission-based storyline and the ability for battles to be both simple and more involved.

Wakasama noted that from a gameplay system perspective, the game is markedly different from previous FF games, but it still feels like an FF game. He was impressed by the large number of characters who enter the battle, which, he said, offers the player a feeling of being close to the action, so much so that he found it hard to believe he was playing a portable game machine. He also mentioned that while deep, the difficulty is such that the game can be played by people who don't normally play RPGs.

Finally, good old Tarou. This reviewer praised the game's balance, which he said is perfect for a portable game. The only bad points he noted involved difficulties in selecting areas of the battle field with the stylus. He suggested using buttons during battle.

85/100
90/100
90/100

Nice. ^^

Setzer Gabianni
04-18-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm not happy with this influx of bloody old summons. It ruins my whole perspective of XII. It was better the 13 Espers being the only ones to summon in XII. They better include them in RW again or I will not be happy.

Any news on Zargabaath? Seeing as he lived, they may as well include him. Makes sense.

Elpizo
04-18-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm not happy with this influx of bloody old summons. It ruins my whole perspective of XII. It was better the 13 Espers being the only ones to summon in XII. They better include them in RW again or I will not be happy.

Any news on Zargabaath? Seeing as he lived, they may as well include him. Makes sense.

All FF XII Espers are there. There have been scans of Belias in RW since the beginning, and SE confirmed the appearance of the other Espers. Note that Espers aren't summons in the XII universe.

Setzer Gabianni
04-18-2007, 08:44 AM
o.O But they are summons..I don't get it. What's the difference? We fight them, they do work for us.

Elpizo
04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
o.O But they are summons..I don't get it. What's the difference? We fight them, they do work for us.
I don't fully understand it myself. It's something about Espers not always having been summonable things, while the Summons (yeah, Shiva, Ifrit and Bahamut and the others are no Espers) have always been summonable creatures, from a different world.

Also, here is the famitsu score of FF XII: Revenant Wings

DS - Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - 9,8,7,8 (32/40)

They said that the Touch Screen is not helpful to control it. It's better to use the buttons.

Cap'n Basch
04-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Well, if you consider the fact they're trying to tie all the Ivalice games together and look at the decision in the light of the events in Tactics, it does make a kind of sense. Nearly all of XII's Espers have an analogue in the Zodiac stone bosses in Tactics, while actual Summoners call on entirely different monsters. Besides, Espers in XII are purely about lightening pressure on your party to give you some room to recover and weakening mobs, they aren't as good for actual "work" against meaningful enemies or bosses.

I am really looking forward to this game. One of the reasons I bought my DS, really. Along with pokeymans.

Elpizo
04-20-2007, 06:55 PM
The RW site has been updated with a new trailer and some new staff-voice stuff.

I love it. Especially the music and the CGI of Bahamut.

Setzer Gabianni
04-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Odin looks awesome. Not too keen on those winged peeps however. Gotta suck only living to 40 :/

Crossblades
04-23-2007, 02:32 PM
New Artwork and screenshots

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/art/ff12rwart042107-1.html

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss042107-1.html

Setzer Gabianni
04-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Uh..I've been told by a friend of mine that some Japanese people he knows have completed it and said..HUGE SPOILER HERE Basch and Ashe get married.

It's enough to put me off playing it.

Elpizo
04-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Uh..I've been told by a friend of mine that some Japanese people he knows have completed it and said..HUGE SPOILER HERE Basch and Ashe get married.

It's enough to put me off playing it.

Ah, and why not? It's a beginners RPG. For people new to RPG/videogame stories, such a step would be natural (depending on how they act through the game, and there's a lot of character interaction in the game, I heard). Course it can be cliché, but then again, she can't keep hanging on to ghosts either. Play the game and see how they end up with each other, maybe you'll open up to it. If not, I'm sure there's other good stuff to the story/game.

I'm sad too that Penelo doesn't end up with Larsa, but I'm still going to play it, I'm curious about the story and the Judge of Wings and why Vaan slashed Balthier in the Jump Festa trailer.

And Llyud is cool, what more reason do you need to play RW? :D

Setzer Gabianni
04-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I know nothing about him tbh..only that he is an outcast ;P

I guess I'm being a bit anti Ashe here. I'll get the game sure, but I just want to huff and puff for now.

Elpizo
04-27-2007, 10:41 PM
I know nothing about him tbh..only that he is an outcast ;P

I guess I'm being a bit anti Ashe here. I'll get the game sure, but I just want to huff and puff for now.

To be honest I don't know much about Llyud either, other than the fact that he's an outcast, like you said, the fact that the trailer described him as 'heartless' and that he has a Mist Quickening with Angel Wings, which is cool.

And the text in my sig are the lines spoken by Llyud in the opening of the Jump Festa trailer. Don't know why, but it's those lines that made me obsessed with his character. Another reason why I'm dying to play RW.

Crossblades
05-01-2007, 02:07 AM
New screenshots(some are FMV)

RPGamer > Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings > Screenshots (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss042707-1.html)

RPGamer > Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings > Screenshots (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/screens/ff12rwss042707-2.html)

IGN put up a review of this game

IGN: Reader Review of: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (http://rr.ds.ign.com/rrview/games/final_fantasy_xii_revenant_wings/853587/63382/)

According to most fans of the series, Final Fantasy XII was a mythical game, one that surely marked the path of the Playstation 2. Square-Enix, following a strategy that seems to have become quite common these days, released this sequel which, despite not following the gameplay of the original game, allows you to know what happened to Vaan and all his friends after the end of the first adventure.

Having become a Sky Pirate, Vaan seems to explore the world alongside with his friend, Penelo. This is where the game starts, with Penelo and Vaan, along with Basch and Fran, enter a mysterious dungeon. After facing some enemies and removing two strange crystals, that temple crumbles and the two friends take different paths. Soon after, two others characters join your party, with them helping Vaan and Penelo facing the following battles. This, eventually, leads to a point where the main characters learns that his crystal allows the summoning of creatures, provided he is at particular sites. Such feature becomes the main characteristic of this title, with the abilities of all characters becoming less important and more emphasis being given to summoning.

After a few minutes of play, you'll get to see an adapted version of the "License" grid, this time containing only summons. Now that your characters can equip anything they want at free will, most abilities and spells are learned by level up, with the crystals won from each missions being solely required to unlock new creatures. At first, you get to summon small creatures such as the Rogue Tomato, and you can gain simple access to creatures such as Chocobo or Ixion, with Ifrit, Leviathan or Bahamut coming much later. You can generally summon more than one of weakest ones, but the main monsters, of which Ifrit is a clear example, can only be put once in each party. As for enemy parties, they can sometimes have other configurations, which turns out being the usual case of a cheating AI.

Alongside with these monsters, you'll have to take up to five characters to each battle, which serve not only as summoners but also as fighters, usually more powerful than the minor creatures. The rooster contains your party from the previous game, along with some new characters, one of which is an interesting surprise. All of them have their classical abilities, which can either be used manually or set for automatic use, via the famous "Gambits".

In this game, such feature was simplified to the point where it is only possible to activate a single Gambit at a particular time, which is used in times of need. Penelo, even if she has her healing spell active, she'll only use it if your characters are damage. The same goes for Vaan, whose 3-hit combo is only used when attacked by enemies. You can also use all these features manually, but they have a cool-down time and may prove only useful in particular conditions.

Characters are way more limited than before. Each of them now has a particular task, being only used for that same task. Penelo can't strike physically, Vaan can't cast any sort of magic and so on. This limitation, which can be disliked by fans of the original game, is quite good and provides an interesting uniqueness to every character, making some of them more useful than others, depending on what mission you'll be facing.

You're only required to face 45 predetermined missions to complete the main storyline, with the other ones granting you the opportunity to use secret summons or, most frequently, acquire rare items, which can later be used to equip your characters or create new weapons. If you bear in mind that there's a single airship and just one town in this game, such bonus are actually important, as they add more places to the game, locations which turn out being important later in the game. Be aware that missions generally have simple targets, such as defeating all enemies or simply beating a particular unit.

Focusing in battles, they continue to be performed in real-time, making this one of the few RTS titles available for this console. The upper screen is usually used to display the map, where all units can be seen. As for the lower one, it is used for showing all the action and controlling the characters. However, you can switch their position by pressing the L key, allowing you to quickly jump to a certain place of the map.

Unfortunately, unlike most people could think, this type of gameplay scheme wasn't very well designed. You can either move the entire group, a character and all summons associated with him, a single unit or a selected group, but since all selections are undone each time you move them or assign a target, it turns out being quite hard to provide characters with valuable targets. Oddly, the game even seems to have been adapted to this feature, as almost every mission can be achieved by moving the entire party as if it was an unimportant blob of strikers. The four control keys allow you to have an easier time when it comes to selecting particular people, but there's no way to overcome the de-selection problem, which is quite annoying if you're trying to do something more strategical. Eventually, you'll reach a point where you'll do nothing more than using 'X' to select the entire party, which you'll be controlling at all times.

The summon sites, available in most maps, not only allow you to call for new creatures, until you've used a certain amount of points, but may also allow you to given instant level ups to your summoned creatures. Strangely, such improvement does not reflect the final level of each monster, serving as a temporary improvement that has no final interest. Unless spent on your major strikers or healing monsters, I doubt you'll even see a noticeable difference between upgrades, which is rather disappointing.

As most RPGs (or, if you like, RTS titles), this game has barely any replay value. Sure, there's a secret ending and many Espers to unlock, along with and several missions to play, but all these tasks can be accomplished in less than 24 hours, even if you're not the most skilled player around. Even getting level ups is easy, with most enemies adapting to your current level and providing more experience than before, which eventually grants a single level up for mission played, making it easy to max out everyone.

If you think about the original game, you'll have an easy time understand that one of its greatest features was the graphics. Such feature was not mimed in this one, as the graphics are usually bad and without many details. Frequently shown as zoomed in, you can see large squares that compose each character, which looks plainly bad. During dialogues, characters are seen in what resembles a manga depiction, which is slightly better but does not compensate for the previously stated issue.

Fortunately, the sound quality of the previous game has its equivalent in this game. While it doesn't have any voice acting, some tunes are already know of the fans, with newer ones also being added to the game. If you liked the original ones, the musics and effects presented in this game will pose you no trouble at all, as you'll enjoy them more often than not.

Requiring no knowledge of the Japanese language (but it is advisable you have some, or you won't understand the story), this is a game that every Final Fantasy XII fan will enjoy, despite its lack of replay value. Others players may opt for more interesting games, as this one follows the storyline of the original title and may sound unappealing to those who haven't played it.

Setzer Gabianni
05-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings on the way - Advent Children.forums (http://forums.adventchildren.net/showthread.php?t=82033)

Read this thread guys. Seems one of my fears may have been incorrect, that I may have got the wrong sort of info off someone.

Just reading the review..characters only having specific tasks? :/

Crossblades
05-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Just reading the review..characters only having specific tasks? :/

Yeah, unlike XII, RW will have character specific abilities now. In fact, someone from the Gamefaqs forums who is currently playing the game provided me with an ability list and jobs for each playable character, not including mist Knacks and accessory abilities however. If you don't want to be spoiled, then don't look on the bottom

Vaan - Thief
Dual Attack: Does two attacks to a single enemy
Sprint : Increases movement speed
Steal Speed: Takes one enemy's agility
Steal Toughness: ^ " " defence
Steal Power: ^ " " strength
Time Killer: Adds Stop effect to your attack
Speed Star: Increases your attack speed

Penelo - White Mage/Dancer
Curaga: Cures HP of allies within an area
Faith Dance: Increases magic power
Esunaga: Cure bad statuses for allies within an area
Brave Dance: Increases strength
Raise: Brings back one knocked out ally
Donac/Don't Act Dance: Stops the enemy from attacking
Holy: Holy magic on one enemy

Llyud - Dragoon
Jump: Attacks all enemies in an area from a distance
Rebirth: Same as Raise, but takes some of your HP
Lancet: Drains enemy's HP
Climate: Takes your HP, and cures allies' HP
Banishaga: Makes allies within an area transparent
Crimson Wings: Attacks enemy in front of you (goes through to the ones behind them too)
Vitality: Takes HP, and raises allies' stats

Kytes - Black Mage
Firaga
Blizzaga
Bio
Thundaga
Stonaga: Earth damage
Charm Magic: Increases Kytes' magic strength
Flare: Damage to one enemy

Filo - Hunter, I guess
Sonic Wave: Attacks the enemies in front of you
Guard Trap: Sets a trap that damages enemy and lowers defence
Drift: Increase team's movement speed
Speed Trap: Trap, lowers speed
Decoy Bit: Absorbs damage to your team
Attack Trap: Trap, lowers strength
Overdrive: Big increase for all Filo's stats, but rebounds (decreased stats after a bit)

Fran - Ranger
Blind Arrow: Puts Blind effect on next attack
Sleep Arrow: Puts Sleep effect on next attack
Silence Arrow: Put Silence effect on next attack
Confu Arrow: Puts Confuse effect on next attack
Dispelga: Takes off the enemys' positive statuses
Volley Shot: Long series of attacks on one enemy
Blessing of the Woods: Cures party's HP and negative statuses

Balflear - Gunner
Tri-Shot: 3 attacks on a single enemy
Blast Shot: Pushes back one enemy
Sniper Eye: Increase attack range
Quick Silver: Increase strength
Aim Legs: Stops one enemy's movements
Aim Arms: Stops one enemy's attacks
Piercing Bullet: Makes your next attack go through to the enemies behind the target

Ashe - Time Mage
Slowga: Slow on enemies within an area
Charge Bomb: Increase attack range
Hastaga: Haste on allies within an area
Regenaga: Regen on allies within an area
Spread Bomb: Attack
Telepo: Brings the summons on Ashe's team to her side
Comet: Damage to enemies within an area

Basch - Knight
Protectaga: Protect on allies within an area
Shellaga: Shell on allies within an area
Flash: Piercing attack on enemies in front of you
Clear Mind: Cures negative statuses + Regen
Calm Defence: Defence up, strength down
Cover: Basch takes damage for his team
Shining Ray: Damage to enemies within an area

Ba'Gamnan - Dark Knight
Wild Swing: Attacks surrounding enemies
Drain: Drains one enemy's HP
Berserk: Berserk on one ally
Bad Breath: Negative statuses on enemies in front of you
Darkness: Takes HP and attacks one enemy
Ba'Ga-Drain: Drains one enemy's magic
Dark Surge: Attacks enemies within an area

Elpizo
05-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Personally, I like the fixed tasks. And we have to remember: it's a game for newcomers to the RPG genre. So I see it as logical there's no thing like License Board/Sphere Grid in it.

Further along, it seems like the Ashe and Basch get married part was false. Some other dudes finished the game and said there's no such a thing in the ending, or even the secret one. There's one romance pairing and that's it. Just saying this for those who don't know this. Can't really confirm it, but I'm believing it. That part seemed to be a bit too extreme, anyway.

And now I've recently read that Toriyama liked working on RW and that he wouldn't mind making a second one like it. Interesting...

I've heard a lot of stuff about the game lately, actually. Lot's of good story stuff as well. Really looking forward to it. Even if the gameplay is too easy, the story sounds awesome. Seems like they really gave attention to sky-pirates this time. Yay for that.

Course, I need to finish XII... I should start on getting past Ozmone plains...

lufia
05-06-2007, 07:00 PM
3 japanese reviewed the game 9/10, 8.5/10 and 9/10 (source ign)
IGN: FFXII: Revenant Wings Reviewed (http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/780/780805p1.html)

=)

Crossblades
05-15-2007, 08:14 PM
No release date announced, but RW is confirmed for NA release

RPGamer - News Bulletin - Square Enix Brings a Foursome to North America (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2007/051407a.html)

Revenant Wings is a follow-up to the PlayStation 2's blockbuster hit Final Fantasy XII. In the exclusive DS title, completely controllable with the DS stylus, players will be able to control massive armies and utilize special moves and Gambits. North America will be seeing this title hit shelves by winter.

Edge7
05-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Anybody know when the it comes out? If that's already been mentioned I'm sorry for not reading this whole thread. Just don't hit me for it.

Crossblades
05-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Anybody know when the it comes out? If that's already been mentioned I'm sorry for not reading this whole thread. Just don't hit me for it.

Read my post above yours >_>

chrystalline
06-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I have just finished the game and I loved it! It's not "the best game evaarrr" but I would recommend it to anyone who would like a fun game for the DS. And if you're a FFXII fan, you should really get this. There's so much character interaction in this game that it seems you get to know more of them here than in XII.

Oh and for those people complaining that there was no love story in XII. Fear not, Revenant Wings has it although I'm glad it's not as cheesy as X (:p ) and it's not the only thing you will hear about.

Anyone else here you have finished the game? Would love to have a discussion regarding the story/gameplay with anyone here. :choc2:

lufia
06-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Congratz on finishing the game! i can't read jap so i got to wait :choc2:

Crossblades
07-12-2007, 05:24 PM
E3 revealed English screenshots

IGN: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings Screenshots, Wallpapers and Pics (http://media.ds.ign.com/media/853/853587/imgs_1.html)

Elpizo
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm gonna import it as soon as a site still has it after the American release. XD Looks great. I believe there was an english trailer of the game released at E3 as well.

Crossblades
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm gonna import it as soon as a site still has it after the American release. XD Looks great. I believe there was an english trailer of the game released at E3 as well.

You mean this trailer?

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Movies (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/ff12rwmov.html)

Elpizo
07-13-2007, 12:22 PM

You mean this trailer?

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Movies (http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/ff12rwmov.html)
Yes, that one. :) A good trailer, I find. I just love 'Battle for Freedom'.

Crossblades
07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
E3 2007: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings Interview. Reveals bonus content for the US version and SE's plans for the RTS genre.

IGN: E3 2007: Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings Interview (http://ds.ign.com/articles/804/804653p2.html)

Revenant Wings launched in Japan last April. What sort of changes can US gamers expect for its North American debut?

Motomu Toriyama: We're changing the overall game balance and adjusting that for the US audience. We've also placed new enemy units in battles and added new enemy unit gambits. The North American release will provide a completely different game play experience than the original domestic release.

When the original version was released in Japan, there were some complaints about its replay value. We've added some deep dungeons to the North American release. If you go into these dungeons, you could probably keep playing there forever. There's also a new boss, Yazmat, from Final Fantasy XII. Overall, it's a bit more difficult.

Revenant Wings has a rather forgiving difficulty in comparison to the other Final Fantasy titles. Are you worried that this will deter long-term fans from playing the game?

Eisuke Yokoyama: We're not worried at all about the difficulty level not satisfying the core users.

Toriyama: In Japan, the RTS genre in general is not very familiar, so we wanted to create a game that introduced the genre there. But we are well aware that in the States the users are very familiar with the genre. We recreated the game so that the difficulty level is compatible with the US users' knowledge of the RTS genre.

Why did you choose to make this RTS spin-off a part of the Final Fantasy XII genre? Why not make it a stand alone game?

Yokoyama: We did not set out to make a game that was connected to FFXII. In the beginning it was supposed to be a 'My first Final Fantasy' experience - that was the overall plan for this game. We had already created the battle system. It was ready to go, but at a certain point during the development and planning process, Toriyama's team started talking. FFXII had just been released and it was really popular, so it was more a matter of timing that it turned into this kind of game.

Revenant Wings also has a light-hearted storyline compared to other Final Fantasy games. Why this departure?

Toriyama: There are two reasons why the storyline of Revenant Wings is what it is. One reason is that I enjoy creating these fun, not very serious stories. Also, the team wanted to go back to the tradition of the original Final Fantasy -- that genuine feeling of going on an adventure.

The second reason is that I wanted to portray the world of Invalice after it had gone through that whole war and that serious time. I wanted to portray a more peaceful side.

Has the storyline been adapted for the North American market?

Toriyama:The story itself hasn't been altered at all. There's the added element of the deep dungeon, but other than that the storyline is the same. The localization team is the same one that worked on FFXII, so that should be reflected in Revenant Wings.

There's been an initiative at Square-Enix to prove that epic RPGs can be created on portable systems. How did you incorporate this into your DS design?

Toriyama: Now that all these different consoles and portable devices exist, what we want to do is bring our epic stories to all these different platforms. Right now we're in a trial phase and are experimenting. One of the things we had in mind when bringing this to portable systems like the DS was to make the epic battle something you can pick up and play at any time and any where. We've broken the story into different episodes to adapt the epic storyline to portable devices.

So what exactly have you done to facilitate bursts of gaming?

Toriyama: The game is broken down into different missions and each mission can be completed in 15 to 30 minutes. The battle system is also different from other Final Fantasy games - tutorials are sprinkled throughout the game so you don't have to read a manual while you're playing, which really helps its pick up and playability.

Why did you decide to make a "My first Final Fantasy?" Are you hoping that it will act as a gateway to the rest of the franchise?

Toriyama: There's not one overall strategy behind Revenant Wings or any other Square-Enix title. Whatever each development team has a passion for and wants to create is what they'll continue to create. There isn't a strategy to take users one way or another.

Now that you've seen the reaction to Revenant Wings in Japan, is there an interest in continuing the RTS genre in the Final Fantasy universe.

Toriyama: We're definitely considering it and would like to continue incorporating RTS elements into the RPG genre. Revenant Wings is the first step.

Is there any interest in creating a Final Fantasy RPG that incorporates even more RTS elements?

Yokoyama: We're not looking to create a hardcore RTS game, but we do want to experiment with new ways of expanding the RPG genre.

What other genres would you be interested in exploring?

Yokoyama: Personally, I'm interested in creating a simulation game. The team as a whole has been looking into different ways to update the battle systems. So they've been looking at different board games to see if they'd be inspired to create a new way to battle.

Were there any features you wish you could have included in Revenant Wings that didn't make it into the final game? Where you constrained by the size of the DS cartridge?

Yokoyama A few of things that we wanted to include in the game included voice acting and some multiplayer elements. But the size of DS cartridge and the constraints of the time schedule made it impossible. It wasn't realistically possible for this project. We would consider it for the future.

Do you have interest in using the microphone or Wi-Fi in future DS titles?

Toriyama: We're definitely interested in the multiplayer and local connection element. And we'd like to look into it for the future. We don't know about the mic function so much because it might not be too convenient if you're playing on the train. Right now we're mostly interested in Wii Fit. We're really intrigued by it.

Is there going to be a Final Fantasy-themed fitness game?

Toriyama: There are no actual plans to take Final Fantasy into the fitness genre, but that whole system and mechanism of using your weight and balance to control games is something we're interested in incorporating into future RPG titles.

What are your new projects now that Revenant Wings is about to launch?

Yokoyama: We're considering a sequel for Revenant Wings, and of course Toriyama-san is working on Final Fantasy XIII. And perhaps we'll start working on Final Fantasy Fitness.

What are you expecting Revenant Wing's reception to be like in North America?

Yokoyama: The battle system is something that US users are more familiar with than Japanese audiences, so we think American gamers will enjoy that. Also the art style isn't very realistic. It's sprite art, and we focused more on the cute movements of these spirtes. And there's no violence in this game. We're very interested in seeing how US users react to that.

Was the focus on non-violence intentional? Were trying to convey a deeper message with the title?

Toriyama Something that we kept in mind when creating this title is that the DS hardware has a very diverse demographic of little children to grandparents and casual to hardcore players. With that in mind, we wanted to create something that wouldn't offend in part of the demographic. So that's the main reason why we kept it violence free.

Are there any final thoughts on the project?

Yokoyama: The visual style and the battle system are very different from what traditional Final Fantasy fans are used to. At first it might be taken negatively that the graphics aren't top notch and the battle system is different, but I'd like players to take up the game and actually play it and see that the team is very passionate about Final Fantasy and bring that world to the DS hardware. A lot of thought was put into the graphics, the scenarios in the storyline and the game play. Once they get into that, they'll see that it is a Final Fantasy title.

Toriyama: The soundtrack has been well received in Japan. A lot of experience staff members worked on the sound track, and I'd like the US audience to spend special attention to it.

Great Sephiroth
07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
I think FFXII:Revenant Wings will be a gold coin of DS. Because of that, I will buy a DS I thought...Anyway, the storyline is after the events from FFXII right? So, if the trailers says true, we can control a whole army of little creatures (like elves and little angels...dude, how can I know?). The sweetest thing is changings from last FMV of FFXII continues with Revenant Wings. For example, Basch's new hair-style, or Penelo's new clothes...Anyway, yet I thought who will be the ultimate enemy in this time? Vayne was ....um....excuse me for spoiler...dead. If he return in Revenant Wings, I will happy... Correct me if I wrong, anyone explained what was that creature(soul like)inside Vayne and before in Henne Mines, inside Mjirn?? Will this event explain in Revenant Wings??

Super_Saiyan
08-07-2007, 03:10 PM
When is FFXII Revenant Wings coming out in Europe?

Crossblades
08-07-2007, 05:11 PM
When is FFXII Revenant Wings coming out in Europe?

TBA at the moment

Hazzard
08-07-2007, 06:42 PM
....Final Fantasy Fitness...that sounds....awful

scrumpleberry
08-07-2007, 09:43 PM
....Final Fantasy Fitness...that sounds....awful

Yep. :mog:

Bolivar
08-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Correct me if I wrong, anyone explained what was that creature(soul like)inside Vayne and before in Henne Mines, inside Mjirn?? Will this event explain in Revenant Wings??

Venat, one of the Occuria. They're the gods of Ivalice (and possibly Final Fantasy). The scene at the place you teleport to from the core of The Great Crystal explains it all, have you seen it?

RW sounds great, I'll definately be getting this.

That interview posted was great, one of the most interesting parts was the interviewer mentioning SE's initiative to bring epic RPGs to handheld systems. Obviously the ultimate reflection of this is Dragon Quest IX being on the DS. I wonder if a day will come when we see a main series FF on a handheld?

Does anyone know when the release date is in the US???

Crossblades
08-07-2007, 11:42 PM

November 20, 2007

Hazzard
08-07-2007, 11:58 PM

November 20, 2007

you guys are lucky yet again, while us Europeans have gotta wait until next year probably.

Dynast-Kid
08-08-2007, 01:02 AM

November 20, 2007

you guys are lucky yet again, while us Europeans have gotta wait until next year probably.

You're European!? Whoa, I didn't know that!

Bolivar
08-08-2007, 02:21 AM

November 20, 2007

can't wait

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2007, 05:26 AM
I've been hearing mixed things about the game but after reading through details of the game and system I can honestly say I'm psyched for the game. I've heard some people compare RW to X-2 in terms of dramatic change from the previous games but I feel RW will be more like TA was to Tactics.

I am a little irked about the summons being a main plot focus (for the love of god SE can we at least go through a few FF where the summons are not the primary focus!?) but I am intrigued by the way the game seems to be using them. I also like the idea of the party having job classes. Due mostly to the fact that XII was originally suppose to have a job class system. It's looking pretty good so far. Looks like it will be a late birthday present for me...

Renmiri
08-09-2007, 09:37 PM
November birthday ? Oh that's right, you are a sharp tongued scorpio! ;)

I got the Japanese version and it is very cute, "chiby", which is a nice change from shirtless Vaan and sexy vamp Fran :D

Hazzard
08-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Renmiri, couldn't you wait at least 3 months...

I'm looking forward to the game, but not the release date which still hasn't been confirmed for us, oh well.

Renmiri
08-09-2007, 11:01 PM
I got it as soon as it came out, together with some other japanese books from Play Asia.com :D

Hazzard
08-09-2007, 11:08 PM
lol, soooo, have you completed it yet, and spoil me with some info on how the game compares to the original, is it more fun?

Super_Saiyan
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Has anyone got the game, whats the story?

Renmiri
08-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Has anyone got the game, whats the story?
Can't tell, it is in Japanese :eep:

lol, soooo, have you completed it yet, and spoil me with some info on how the game compares to the original, is it more fun?
No, it is in Japanese and I have not had much free time to play, so I'm moving very slowly.

XII was more fun to me because aside from the FMVs the DS game has very old graphics and the graphics were one of the things I enjoyed most on XII. It also has limited gambits and I haven't figured it out how to use them yet. Gambits was another thing I loved in XII so I miss it dearly.

Vaan and Penelo look much better though :love:

Crossblades
10-10-2007, 12:07 AM
European release confirmed

RPGamer - News Bulletin - FFXII Revenant Wings Touches Europe (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2007/100907b.html)

Those European blokes that were being that left out of Vaan's next adventure, are now being invited to join the party. Square Enix has just announced that Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings will being coming to PAL territories in early 2008.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings is an RTS RPG hybrid sequel to last year's Final Fantasy XII for the PS2 . The story is a continuation of the Vaan's tale after the events in FFXII. New characters, along with fan favorites will be making appearances.

Those in Japan can already head to the stores and pick up this title, while North American gamers will have to wait until November 20th. For more on FFXII: Revenant Wings, check out RPGamer's E3 impressions.

gudkid
10-12-2007, 04:14 AM
so which is the better game for you guys? XII or XII:RV??????

PeneloRatsbane
10-12-2007, 01:35 PM
XII is better, but in RW you get to learn more about the characters and its a brill game, its also a little more light hearted

Crossblades
10-20-2007, 02:32 AM
American box art revealed

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff12rw/packaging/ff12rw3.jpg

stingus078
11-20-2007, 06:18 AM
Just a few hours sleep away till release...o and die hard comes out too! can't wait.:D

Roto13
11-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Someone post impressions of the English version. :P

Nominus Experse
12-01-2007, 09:32 AM
I recently began playing this game. These are my thoughts:

The game is incredibly easy. Seriously, you could float right through the game without any thought whatsoever.

The story is very light-hearted, and has some spots in it that are very, very ludicrous. There are no real interesting plot points as of yet (almost 50% through the entire game), and a few parts feel a little recycled, but overall, it's alright. In terms of the story, the greatest points of intrigue seem to lie in the new race introduced, and where and what the characters of FFXII are/have been doing since the end of the war.

The pacing so far seems alright, though in the beginning it was very sudden and somewhat choppy. The missions are interesting enough, and thankfully, they don't revolve around the classic pit fall of many games "fetch me this item to progress the story"...

The game play is simple, but surprisingly fun. The play screen never feels cluttered, and all information relevant to the present situation is easily seen and/or accessed. The controls feel natural, and I've yet to encounter a time when I fumed at the designers. Menus are well done, neither minimalistic or weighed down with too much information. Truly, the best way of describing the controls and feel of the game is by this:

Simple and intuitive.

The gambit system has been stripped to barely anything. You are allowed only one command per character, and you cannot control the parameters as to when they perform the selected action. Although I have found the menus and whatnot to be incredibly easy to navigate and control (thus allowing me to swiftly tell my character(s) to execute the selected action), I would have liked to have been given a certain level of control over the gambit each character is allowed to perform.

Summoning a large pack of espers (or Yarhi as they are also called in this game) is probably the best perk of this game. There seem to be three distinct types, each with their own set of weaknesses and advantages. Basically, it's rock/paper/scissors with a different names. With the addition of elemental attributes, this furthers the depth of how characters and enemies fight, but it's not usually a primary concern. Additional weaknesses or types may have been needed to make it deeper in these terms, but I'm not sure.

You are granted control of only so many, and only by ones that you have unlocked thus far (by using items called auracite). Think of the sphere grid or license board, and this is basically how one gains control over other espers.

So, my overall thoughts on the game is this:

It's fun, but I wish it were much, much more difficult. But I suppose the free, easy, light-hearted feel of the story and game could only be translated via a lowered difficulty setting.

Northcrest
12-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah My Dad is going to buy me this game for Christmas. I read on Gamefaqs that there are over 30 summons. Then there is this weird thing that u need a contract for the summons. I can't wait to get this game.

Aerith's Knight
02-06-2008, 02:02 AM
you have to buy espers

Xander
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I just got the UK version, enjoying it so far, but it is totally cuteeee ;_; I'm only just getting used to this sort of battle system, so we'll see how it goes. But yes I think the graphics are lovely and the music and the general FF charm (which I missed!) but, umm *no help really* xD

Tabris
04-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I finished the game a few weeks ago, and I found it to be really, really fun and entertaining.

Dragonsoul
04-11-2008, 09:05 AM
I want to find out what the people who worked on this game are doing now!

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenant_Wings)
Motomu Toriyama was the director, he's doing writing for FF: Crystal Chronicles: My life as a king and for The 3rd Birthday, plus directing FF XIII. Look at the development staff of The 3rd Birthday(cellphone Parasite Eve game)!
The 3rd Birthday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_3rd_Birthday)
Designer(s)
Yoshinori Kitase (executive producer)
Hajime Tabata (game director)
Tetsuya Nomura (creative producer, concept design, character designer)
Isamu Kamikokuryo (art director)
Motomu Toriyama (scenario design)
Yoko Shimomura (composer)

Anyways, Motomu Toriyama is busy with three projects right now so FF XII: RW 2 will not be out soon if they decide to work on it I think. Maybe after FF Tactics A2 comes out in USA that team can work on it though? :)

Tabris
04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Is there talks about RW 2?!

Crossblades
04-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Is there talks about RW 2?!

There was interview somewhere mentioned in this thread that the dev team would like to develop RW2, but are currently busy with other projects

Tabris
04-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Ah, ok. I found a few links about it, but it might have been old.

Dragonsoul
04-12-2008, 03:47 AM
Some of the designers are busy with other projects but others I don't know what they are doing. Hopefully they announce something soon!

Elskidor
08-19-2008, 01:08 AM
I've been puting off playing this game, because of the terrible reviews. I'm also replaying a few other FF titles, but I was thinking about giving this one a shot. Is it any good? How long is the game play? Is the battle system like FFXII? Is there even a good storyline? I figure I'll get around to playing it one day, but a few good reviews might push it up on the priority list.

Roto13
08-19-2008, 05:05 AM
I didn't think the reviews were awful. But I really hate this game.

ljkkjlcm9
08-19-2008, 06:21 AM
it's an action strategy game... you really only control so much. I ended up doing everything in the game... but most people didn't enjoy it. Just watch a gameplay video on youtube or something.

THE JACKEL

demondude
08-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Revenant Wings got boring when Ashe and Basch joined, the best part was the charm at the beginning with Kytes and Filo and stuff, when Ashe joined I lost interest slightly.

Marky Tee
04-15-2009, 10:34 PM
this game is awesome!!
also ^ that is the exact point in the game im at, funnily enough

hhr1dluv
04-16-2009, 05:21 AM
I absolutely suck at this game. Does anyone have any tips on how to not suck?

PeneloRatsbane
04-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Ashe and Basch seem to keep to themselves a lot, they don't get too involved with the story. They just want to keep the peace basically. i liked that aspect.

Wolf Kanno
04-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Its been almost two years since I last posted in this thread and I finally got a copy of it and playing through it now. ;)

ANGRYWOLF
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Final Fantasy Fortress Tech Demo (http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/final-fantasy-fortress-tech/338067?playlist=featured)

supposed sequel to the wings game.

I will be surprised if it ever materializes.

:)