PDA

View Full Version : "It's too easy!!" So what's difficult?

Mercen-X
09-13-2006, 10:31 PM
For you gamers out there complaining about games being too easy or too short (i.e. Kingdom Hearts II), here's a question:

What is the most difficult RPG you've ever played?

chrisfffan
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
well i have only played final fantasy RPGs i dont know what that stands for but haha i would say 7

LunarWeaver
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
If you count Vagrant Story, then that would be it.

Madame Adequate
09-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Legend of Legaia.

Roto13
09-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Dragon Quest Anything.

Shoeberto
09-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh my yes.

Erdrick Holmes
09-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Phantasy Star II, it;s probably the hardest RPG ever made.

edczxcvbnm
09-13-2006, 10:52 PM
I honestly don't know. Xenogears, Lunar and Lunar 2 are up there because they have things set up so you can't over level to make your way though the game.

Captain Maxx Power
09-13-2006, 10:53 PM
My self appointed Final Fantasy 4 low-level, initial-equipment, no-spells, no-items, no-back-row, only-playing-by-sitting-in-a-cardboard-box-three-feet-
away-whilst-throwing-M&M's-at-the-controller-in-order-
to-move-launched-exclusively-from-my-nostrils. That was pretty hardcore.

Still wasn't as hard as 7th Saga.

Dreddz
09-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Phantasy Star II, it;s probably the hardest RPG ever made.

That and Vagrant Story, the difference being that I actually beat Phantasy Star II and I stopped playing Vagrant Story.

I Took the Red Pill
09-13-2006, 11:27 PM
Legend of Legaia.
Yes.

Tavrobel
09-13-2006, 11:40 PM
FIN47 FANTEZY T3N HIPHUN TEW EL OH EL

Moon Rabbits
09-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Oh my yes.

Oh my yes, indeed!

oddler
09-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Ultima Exodus.

Vermachtnis
09-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn was pretty hard, but so is Phantasy Star II.

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Hm...tough question. Most RPGs I've played are only just in the realm of tedious or I've played them so many times they aren't tough anymore.

Overall, Star Ocean 2 was a pretty tough RPG. God, all the power leveling near the end of the game was ridiculous. The random encounters were just monstrous. I can't even imagine the higher difficulty levels. Star Ocean 3 doesn't even compare in the difficulty level.

Final Fantasy II also got ridiculous, but playing on an emulator, there are ways around 'random' encounters....

The final bosses of Grandia III were...ugh.

*fwink*

Yay! I get a turn agian!

Team: Dammit Xorn!

But overall, RPGs aren't difficult. There are always ways to use the system to your advantage, whether it be through powered equipment or skills, using strategy, or blunt mindless power-leveling, RPGs just aren't generally difficult. Especially newer RPGs.

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2006, 01:17 AM
RPGs are more of a test of patience then a test of skill, really. If you can do basic math and have a middle school reading level you can play an RPG.

oddler
09-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Overall, Star Ocean 2 was a pretty tough RPG. God, all the power leveling near the end of the game was ridiculous. The random encounters were just monstrous. I can't even imagine the higher difficulty levels.

True. I forgot about that one. Especially when you talk to Filia the last time and she breaks Indalecio's Limiter. That makes him insanely difficult to defeat. :mad:

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I haven't even tried that yet. I died about eight times on normal Gabriel, but with the limiter off? Sheezus. :cat: :(

Madame Adequate
09-14-2006, 02:39 AM
Vesper and Decus are right proper hard bastards. I mean seriously, no matter HOW hard as nails I am, no matter HOW much I prepare, those guys split my head.

Jowy
09-14-2006, 02:57 AM
I always thought Robotrek was pretty damn difficult.

Rostum
09-14-2006, 03:23 AM
I had some problems with Vagrant Story and Xenosaga II.

Orophin
09-14-2006, 03:47 AM
well i have only played final fantasy RPGs i dont know what that stands for but haha i would say 7

So.. one of the easiest RPG is your hardest one...

Meat Puppet
09-14-2006, 03:49 AM
I found Final Fantasy VIII pretty hard. I'm just not good at that kind of thing.

Yamaneko
09-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Morrowind can be very tough early on, especially with a non-warrior class.

XxSephirothxX
09-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Star Ocean 2 was probably the hardest RPG I've ever played all the way through. Some old-school games were hard because the insane level-grinding required would bore me into submission. Star Ocean actually required skill, though. Random encounters would sometimes wipe me out in a matter of seconds. I leveled up for hours to be able to take on those two guys before the final boss, and then for hours more to kill him. I can't even fathom how long it would've taken to be able to beat him without the limiter.

exit60b
09-14-2006, 04:10 AM
I found Final Fantasy VIII pretty hard. I'm just not good at that kind of thing.

me too. perhaps i just ::gulped:: when i saw that it was four discs.

KH-Cloudy
09-14-2006, 04:13 AM
Legend of Legaia.
Yes.

Yes to that

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 04:25 AM
I leveled up for hours to be able to take on those two guys before the final boss, and then for hours more to kill him. I can't even fathom how long it would've taken to be able to beat him without the limiter.

"SPICULE!! OH IT'S SO HOT OH HO HO HO HO!!!"

"Aren't you cold?!"

"I will burn you to the bone!"

"Bastard!"

"RECIEVE the WIND of DESTRUCTION!!1"

"I'm erasing you."

Yeah, I was at level 80 or so and still couldn't kill the final boss.

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2006, 04:37 AM
Dragon Quest 3 is VERY hard if you're having a goof-off in your party so you can get a Sage for free.

ValkyrieWing
09-14-2006, 04:47 AM
Uagh. Star Ocean 2, definately, for all the reasons that have been stated before. I still haven't beaten that stupid bonus dungeon. :P And I have done the limiter thing, and it scared the crap out of me...

Legend of Legaia, assuredly. If you didn't play smart, you were dead.

Wild Arms 3 was pretty hard. I was on level 98 when I beat the last boss...and of course I actually knew what I was doing that time.

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Dragon Quest 3 is VERY hard if you're having a goof-off in your party so you can get a Sage for free.

Oh, is that the benefit of having them in your party? I thought they had an extraordinary luck stat or something. Well, getting a free sage is awesome as well.

RiseToFall
09-14-2006, 06:19 AM
Beyond the Beyond

If you haven't played it, you dont know what hell is.

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2006, 08:26 AM

Oh, is that the benefit of having them in your party? I thought they had an extraordinary luck stat or something. Well, getting a free sage is awesome as well.

Yeah, they do get a high luck stat but it usually backfires. Since goof offs/jesters spend more time being fucking dumbasses than actually attacking. When you tell them to attack most of the time they juggle a ball and drop one on an enemy to do about 9 damage, fall asleep in battle, or try to run away in the middle of battle. But they can become a sage without the Book of Satori (or Zen Scroll for the Gamebody version). Plus they get boosted magic and MP stats this way, they can become a better sage on their own than a wizard with the book of satori.

Markus. D
09-14-2006, 11:04 AM

simple.

very simple for spellcasters.

go just a little outside of Seydaneen (spelling?) and cast magic. it levels without actually having to come into contact with anything. just through use. focus on the desired spell. when your mana runs out. rest.

repeat.

sure you will witness a blight storm rather early on.... but you will pretty much be able to pwn any interruptions and etc after a short amount of mindless spell spam.

now. my answer to the topic n_n"

I was going to say Makai Kingdom (just started back new from today, actually I never got far in it... but now I am in Chapter 4 n_n! 100k+ and a level 20 something leader) but with a little luck (Charge Spear Reward at level 9 :D! = +100 HL atk) and finding this... amazing map where all you had to do was walk into a castle. and reap the rewards at the end. I am pretty much set through it.

but... knowing the level cap. and knowing that this game will always challenge you no matter what (AND with improved AI and overall gameplay) you will always be challenged.

Ultima Shadow
09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
I'd probably have to go with Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. Yeah... that's probably the hardest RPG I've played so far when played normaly... I think.

Cruise Control
09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I haven't played half these, so I'm going to say Lufia: The fortress of doom. Damn those boss battles.

Dreddz
09-14-2006, 05:12 PM
The final bosses of Grandia III were...ugh.

I know what you mean, Grandia III's difficulty varied considerably, especially on boss battles. I'd actually consider this to be a flaw which needed work on. Still a great game though :choc2:

Ramza Beoulve
09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Beyond the Beyond

If you haven't played it, you dont know what hell is.Then I know Hell and I love it :rolleyes2

ValkyrieWing
09-14-2006, 08:25 PM
Beyond the Beyond

If you haven't played it, you dont know what hell is.

Holy CRAP, you played that game?!?! I still haven't beaten it....not that I remember where the heck I was anyway...

Dell
09-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Final Fantasy VII-Level 99 character-All skill/spell/summon learned-fully-charged ultimate weapon-Mystile-All GameShark good codes.

Even with this, I still can't beat the first boss in FFVII.

Bleach is a bitch.

Mo-Nercy
09-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Probably Final Fantasy V.

I died A LOT. >_<

Slicksword45
09-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Xenosaga was hard.

TehAnima
09-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Morrowind (It's always difficult at first)

.Hack (Well it was hard for me for the first play through.)

Dark Cloud (Not difficult after you figure it out but it was hard for me at first.)

FF II (Do I need to say anything?)

Araciel
09-16-2006, 09:00 PM

pshaw use a merchant/speechcraft character to kill the game anyway

SaGa frontier was extremely difficult to play...mostly because it sucked

fantasyjunkie
09-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Breath of Fire 3. there was one part in the middle of the game where you had to be a certain level to get past a boss. I wasn't and since I was trapped in a canyon there was no way to find some random encounters to level up. So that ended my game right there :( :cry: :mad: :confused: :hot: :screwy: :irked: :nonono: :weep: :crying:

Madame Adequate
09-17-2006, 10:35 AM
You can make Morrowind either easy or hard to begin with, depending on your skill choices. In the end though, the thing becomes cake. You can stroll through Mournhold and kill everyone without thinking about it.

DK
09-17-2006, 11:20 AM
I never had a problem with Vagrant Story. :{

Mercen-X
09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Final Fantasy VII-Level 99 character-All skill/spell/summon learned-fully-charged ultimate weapon-Mystile-All GameShark good codes.

Even with this, I still can't beat the first boss in FFVII.
OMG This made me lurch forward in my seat as I laughed aloud. People around me in the library gave me hard looks for a disruption. Screw them!
Bleach is a bitch.Is that an RPG?

As for me, I don't know. When I first watched my cousin play FF2 (FFIV reality) on the SNES, I didn't know what the hell an RPG was. After FF7, I've played about a 73 RPGs, several of which I bought and a lot of which I bought before playing.

Final Fantasy VII: I bought it after I beat it as a rental. I was new to RPs so it took me several weeks to work through the game. Beating the final boss was relatively easy in comparison.
Tactics: can't even start it.
VIII: beat it.
IX: beat it.
X: beat it and stopped playing it.
XI: yeah right, like I care.
X-2: beat it twice and I stopped playing it.
DoC: beat it but I can't unlock the secret ending damn it.
Xenosaga: haven't beat it.
Episode 2: haven't beat it.
Star Ocean Til: haven't beat it.
Wild Arms 2&3: haven't beat'em.

Well, as you can imagine, the list goes on. It shows that aside from Final Fantasy (and Tactics), I'm notoriously incompetent with RPGs. I still hold it in my opinion though that anyone who claims that a game with 40+ hours of play was 100% completed before even reaching the 24-hour mark is either lying or a psycho-savant and should be devoting their unimaginable brain power to curing the uncurable and solving for war rather than wasting their time and energy on a forum complaining that a game was too quick and easy.

edczxcvbnm
09-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I still hold it in my opinion though that anyone who claims that a game with 40+ hours of play was 100% completed before even reaching the 24-hour mark is either lying or a psycho-savant and should be devoting their unimaginable brain power to curing the uncurable and solving for war rather than wasting their time and energy on a forum complaining that a game was too quick and easy.

I have only ever played 1 40 hour RPG and that is Xenogears. Everything else is like 15-25 hours depending. Also 100% in an RPG is up to the person playing. If you didn't get every single weapon and item in the game and blah blah blah blah blah then you never really 100% the game.

Moon Rabbits
09-20-2006, 11:28 PM
I always thought Robotrek was pretty damn difficult.

Finally someone gets it.

Jessweeee♪
09-20-2006, 11:59 PM
First of all, I would like to say that if you're overleveling on the very beginning of the game to get to level 8,000 the game's bound to be easy from there.

Hardest RPG....FFX-2. I didn't like the way it was set up, and it's really easy until chapter five, where I can not do ANYTHING.
:P

I also got stuck once on Threads of Fate for a couple of years, because I could not figure out the Underground Ruins. I wanted to hang myself once I finally figured out how. It was just so simple....
(a very easy RPG for those of you who've never heard of it)

Giga Guess
09-21-2006, 03:00 AM
FF4 Hardtype.