PDA

View Full Version : Good God Square Enix.............

Kefka_Almighty
09-14-2006, 04:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCY1JQrJ7BQ

You know, I really don't think the US branch of Square Enix has ever been especially good at marketing its games, but sweet bouncing baby JESUS this might just be one of the worst concepts they ever came up with. Not only is the concept and the joke behind it a poor one, but the actors are completely atrocious, especially due to the fact that, on Mewt's part, they didn't seem to even bother to play the friggin' game. Why do I say that? Because Mewt seems pissed as HELL, though I suppose that could just be the actor's natural anger at having to do this crap coming out.

I actually remember this atrocity when they first viewed it, and I was stupid enough to actually look for the damn thing. That being said, I can honestly say that, while I remember the Marche and Ritz parts, I had absolutely NO recollection of the Mewt part.

Still, it may be the single most atrocious thing I've ever seen, but damn if it isn't funny and depressing at the same time. :p

P.S.: Did anyone catch that in the Mewt seen that, near the end the camera pans out far enough so that you can see they have a rabbit on one of the book stacks dressed in a purple shirt with wings? I'm assuming that it was intended to be a Moogle........

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks alot for digging up my surpressed memories.

Ugh, as if this game is made fun of it's supposedly childish atmosphere already, this commercial would make someone who hasn't played the game not want to play it at all.

But at least now I know how to pronounce Marche.

Nasarian Altimeros
09-14-2006, 06:45 AM

*buys tactics advance*

Gansx
09-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Did you guys see the japanese commercial? I don't know any japanese, but I usually have a idea of whats going on. I never felt so lost...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3ZuvgjpwQ2M

vorpal blade
09-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Due to the awful quality of that commercial, I refuse to believe that it is from SE. And Seriously, if you're gonna make a moogle, use a cat or a teddy bear. And there was a Nu Mou. Why? And why didn't they put shiny tin foil on a lizard to make a Bangaa?
I can't put my finger on it, but something about Mewt seemed a little disturbing. And I always thought Marche was pronounced "March." And I always stressed the second syllable in Ivalice (i VAL iss). It may be one of the best awful things I've ever seen.

And I do speak a little (not much but some) japanese and I still havce no clue what happened. But it's a Japanese cmmercial, so what do you expect?

Skyblade
09-14-2006, 08:57 PM
It would be better if everyone just forgot about that video... Be thankful that the game was great, and ignore that terrible commercial.

boys from the dwarf
09-16-2006, 08:41 AM
i dont even know what to say. thats just awful, utter crapness.

Necronopticous
09-16-2006, 10:38 AM
This is my favorite commercial of all time. If you don't like it, you clearly don't understand it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Marche is pronounced "Marsh." The American commercial guys got it wrong.

Necronopticous
09-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't really think accuracy was the most important thing to them in the writing and recording process of this advertisement.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-16-2006, 10:50 AM
I was just setting a couple people in this thread straight on that particular issue. Of course the commercial itself is awesome.

The best part is the annoyed tone in Marche's voice. "Can you please help me destroy the Crystals so I can leave?"

boys from the dwarf
09-16-2006, 11:09 AM
i understand the advert all right but it seems more likely to make people think that the game is wierd and you shouldn't get it.

Necronopticous
09-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I think we can all agree games should never be weird. Good point.

Roto13
09-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Marche is a real-life last name. It's the most common last name where I live. I think it's Irish or English or something. It's pronounced "March" like the month.

LunarWeaver
09-17-2006, 05:41 AM
I will continue to pronounce it Marsha no matter what this commercial has to say.

I remember this commercial actually :jess: I doubt it had much effect on the actual game. Most gamers know not to base a game's quality on commercials, movie adaptions, or critic's scores but only the game itself.

Zeromus_X
09-17-2006, 05:41 AM
マーシュ

I feel dumb now. Well, thanks Kishi.

Monster Hunt
09-17-2006, 07:12 AM
I-It scares me! But I love the bunny!

Nominus Experse
09-18-2006, 06:54 AM
That made me die a little inside...

And then I laughed and bookmarked it.

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Yet again, another example of the INJUSTICE to the Original Final Fantasy Tactics:cry:

Ryushikaze
09-22-2006, 06:36 AM
I for one loved this commercial. It just had a certain something that the technically superior japanese commercial just did not have. At all.

Though the japanese commercial does indicate that our characters are definitely western.

vorpal blade
09-22-2006, 11:36 AM
マーシュ

Yes! I was right! It is pronounced "marsh!"
Is it just me or does the fact that they mispronounced the name make the commercial better?

Polaris
09-22-2006, 11:39 AM
I never saw the commercial but i think that if i did i would never buy it ever! :D

Pharoh Amon Khan III
09-22-2006, 03:41 PM
マーシュ

Yes! I was right! It is pronounced "marsh!"
Is it just me or does the fact that they mispronounced the name make the commercial better?

I really wouldn't trust an american translation of the name. Seems too 'french' to me...

Marsh? Mar-shay? Mercy? (I'm just kiddin' with that last one. Couldn't help it, had be done.)

I think it's Mar-shay.

Ritz, Ritzu, Re-t's

Mewt, Mute (STFU you whiny little...! I'll make ya cry for your mommy!)

I for got Marshe's brother's name Donday or something?

Anyway, that's enough outta me kids, till next time....

Zeromus_X
09-23-2006, 05:10 AM
Maashu, which would give us 'Marsh'.

I'm so happy I don't have to say Marshay anymore! :love: :cat:

Fynn
09-23-2006, 12:23 PM
The american commercial made me laugh - hard! So hard, that I was actually left with tears in my eyes. The japanese one, on the other hand, was creepy. And I mean veeeery creepy...

vorpal blade
09-24-2006, 10:59 AM
I for got Marshe's brother's name Donday or something?

It's Doned. And that Nu Mou looks like it was stolen from Chuck E Cheese.

Sirc
09-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I am glad to have never seen this ad before I played the game. Otherwise I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. Plus then I would have preconcieved characters in my head talking on phones while I battled.

Clord
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Where they got that phone idea and terrible costumes.

Iceglow
10-12-2006, 07:41 AM
you know what the guy playing mewt's problem was? what the hell did they do to his hair?! ok doing Mewt's hair with extensions or something but that looked like his ACTUAL hair!

Paro
10-12-2006, 07:47 AM
I know for a fact that Canada didn't air that trash. We have class!

That was a bad comercial NO WAIT THAT MADE MY EYES BLEED FOR 3:25 MINS!!! THAT HURTS!

boys from the dwarf
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I think we can all agree games should never be weird. Good point.

was that sarcasm?

anyway. your typical FF fantasy and strangeness is o.k. but this advert could put a few people off.

My name is...something..?
10-13-2006, 04:06 AM
I totally forgot about that commercial.:laugh:
I remember seeing it on tv for the first time and going "WTF?"
Funny thing was: I was I was playing FFTA when I saw it.
I was playing the mission where you had to go fight for some guy's thesis.:)

Fate Fatale
10-25-2006, 01:32 AM
I have NEVER seen that rubbish on TV, but I live near the east cost, and I saw NORMAL commercials for the game. You know, with crappy gameplay footage and original art panning across the screen. Just like the good old days....Ah, the good old days....

KasaiDraco
10-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Stupidest ad ever! I downloaded the game and the game is terrible. If I wanted to play a game about little kids, I could play Kingdom Hearts.

Wolf Kanno
11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Wow... just wow :eek: I think a little piece of my soul just died watching the U.S. commercial...

The Japanese commercial was pretty freaky but more fitting in my opinion.

And what's wrong with playing as kids who trap themselves in their friends delusional world he created cause he just can't face the reality of his own life?

Aqua Mage
02-05-2007, 01:40 AM
*bleeds slowly*

Thanks for sharing though.. :cry:

Grendal
02-05-2007, 03:09 AM
"My name is Mar-shay." Ugh... how lame. I thought "Marsh" sounded better in my imagination. *sigh*