PDA

View Full Version : why is vivi more popular than zidane??

the_sandman
09-14-2006, 05:02 AM
is it just because of the simple fact that he's a black mage?

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 05:52 AM
Not only is he a Black Mage (as much as a mascot of the series as a Moogle or Chocobo), but he truly symolizes the main theme of the story, that is, life, and it's memories thereof.

LunarWeaver
09-14-2006, 05:54 AM
Seems people love to root for the underdog I guess. Plus he was a child character that wasn't fucking annoying for once.

XandrewX
09-14-2006, 06:23 AM
Maybe bcoz he's small and cute?I dunno...I prefers Zidane...:eep:

boys from the dwarf
09-14-2006, 07:28 AM
other than the fact that everyone says hes cute and impossible not to like, his personality and his confusion about life and the whole life and death theme that surrounds him makes him interesting. vivi brings up some really good points that you can think about.

zidane has a great backstory and his parts on terra are absolutely brilliant and i think the reason people seem to like vivi more is that they dont really think about the story much. i probably like zidane more.

Miriel
09-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Why? Because Vivi is so darn cute. And he waddles. That's enough to win my heart. <3

PerpetualBurn
09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I just didn't like Zidane that much. I prefer a more tortured and withdrawn hero over the cocky and arrogant ladies' man.

Vivi was a kind-hearted character, but to me he also fit the bill of the character facing the toughest problems - was he even real? Did his actions really count?

I didn't really get too much of a feeling for the characters in FFIX like I have with the others. Something about the silliness of the characters made it hard to feel strongly for them. Not that it wasn't a great game or anything.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
I donīt like Zidane nor Garnet nor Steiner...

Vivi to me represents the true hero of the story plus his farewell speech is very sad:cry:

Plus the Black Mage sequence with Vivi is great:cool:

Polaris
09-14-2006, 02:15 PM
I didn't like Vivi I thought that his eyes were scary and the fact that I couldn't see his face gosh it was horrible but when a friend told me that Zidane was alaways making fun of him and when is all those little Vivi's I though they were so cute... ^^" Anyway it's much better than Quina...

Crossblades
09-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Not only is he a Black Mage (as much as a mascot of the series as a Moogle or Chocobo), but he truly symolizes the main theme of the story, that is, life, and it's memories thereof.

Sefie1999AD
09-14-2006, 05:19 PM
Vivi is a Black Mage, yes, but I don't think that's what makes him so popular. I think it's him being a very tragic character who has a lot of hard times during the game, and you'll feel sorry for him when he's feeling down while thinking about the purpose of life throughout the game.

boys from the dwarf
09-14-2006, 06:33 PM
i guess its tastes in character as well as personality. some people prefer vivis personality to zidanes. not neccasarily because its a better personality, its just because they prefer it.

Quindiana Jones
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Why? Because Vivi is so darn cute. And he waddles. That's enough to win my heart. <3

Ditto :love:

Xurts
09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
I find it very suprising that so many people like Vivi. I, myself, cannot stand him. Zidane and Vivi both are terrible characters, but if I had to choose one or the other I would choose Zidane. Both suck though.

Quina is the best in this game. She simply rules. No way around it.

Moon Rabbits
09-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Vivi seems to be more popular than the game itself. Alot of people dislike FFIX but love Vivi, and others still know who Vivi is without having even played FFIX.

McLovin'
09-14-2006, 08:16 PM
She? Hmph.

Black Waltz #3 is the best character.

the_sandman
09-15-2006, 06:43 AM
I just didn't like Zidane that much. I prefer a more tortured and withdrawn hero over the cocky and arrogant ladies' man.

you mean, a typical final fantasy main character such as cloud and squall. i like that cocky attitude personally. its more..."cool" i guess. while the people from square tried to make cloud and squall's attitude way too cool to the point that it gets annoying. zidane is cocky, yet clumsy with the ladies. but then again, very heroic.

Vivi was a kind-hearted character, but to me he also fit the bill of the character facing the toughest problems - was he even real? Did his actions really count?

doesnt zidane and vivi have similar problems?...theyre both "created" and both made for destruction. vivi and the black mages are no different from zidane and genomes.

_yeojina_
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Why I think Vivi is popular

1. He's cute.
2. His personality is mostly involved with life itself.
3. He waddles.
4. He can burn your arse, freeze it or make sure that you can never sit on it again without giving yourself an electric shock.
5. The eyes. Glow-in-the-dark contacts. I want those!

Slade
09-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I prefer Zidane myself. Vivi was okay but one of my least favorite characters from FFIX. People have already said the reasons why Vivi is so popular. Mainly because of cuteness and the fact that he is one of the only non-annoying kid characters.

No.78
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Vivi needs to cheer up :/

Black_Mage_Hiyasha
09-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Vivi was sooooooooo cute! and he kicked serious butt too! I, myself love black mages so that's probably why I like him so much. Zidane was cool and I liked the fact they didn't try to make him like Squall and Cloud, but Vivi was the best character in the game in my opinion.

Xurts
09-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Vivi needs to cheer up :/
He needs his hat taken off. Then all of the feces that he is made of will spill out.

The Crystal
09-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Why Vivi is more popular then Zidane? Why Squall is more popular then Zidane? Why Cloud is more popular then Zidane?

Because they are emo. For some reason, almost all the FF fans, prefer emo characters instead of "happy" characters, like Zidane or Laguna.

Cid's_Lady_Erin
09-16-2006, 03:35 AM
Vivi's a child [+ 10 cuteness points]; he's a serious child who thinks deep things you wouldn't expect a child to think, especially when compared with the other children of the game (Puck, Eiko, Hippaul, ect) [+15 cuteness points]; he has somewhat oversized clothes and a floppy hat [+25 cuteness points]; he needed the main character's (i.e. the player's) help more so than Dagger in that he was constantly dependent for you to set a role model and give him upbeat perspectives on all the negative things of life, call it emotional protection [+20 cuteness points]; he can set stuff on fire/freeze it/fry it with lightning/obliterate it with higher level magic [+50 usefulness points]; he's a little clumsy and has to fix his hat all the time [+6 cuteness points]; he's shy enough that he doesn't make himself annoying by constantly bringing up his problems and shoving them in your face, especially during life threatening situations [+12 non-annoying points]; he jumpropes with little girls [+2 cuteness points]; he's easily pulled into things, so must therefore be watched, if you aren't the one pulling him into things yourself [+4 cuteness points]

Personally I disliked Vivi. There you are, trying to save every peasant in the area while fighting your way through turn taking monsters who don't really care to attack anyone else who isn't already done for, worrying about whoever has run off/disappeared and/or whatever nefarious plots the villains have going on, and he has to bring up his whole issue about existing and no matter what you say, he's always down about it. I know he highlights the game's theme, but he's always so gloomy and emotionally needy and well, I didn't particularly care. Zidane and Quina stole my emotional character attatchment for the game. You have to (well not necessarily) like a guy who still manages to be upbeat despite the fact he's surrounded by some of the most depressing people on the planet 24/7, not getting paid, laid or even praised.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
09-16-2006, 04:25 AM
I'm not sure why Vivi is more popular.:confused: He's a good character I guess not my favorite though...But at least he wasn't annoying like that fucking brat with the purple hair and the horn on her head!:mad:

Xurts
09-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Personally I disliked Vivi. There you are, trying to save every peasant in the area while fighting your way through turn taking monsters who don't really care to attack anyone else who isn't already done for, worrying about whoever has run off/disappeared and/or whatever nefarious plots the villains have going on, and he has to bring up his whole issue about existing and no matter what you say, he's always down about it. I know he highlights the game's theme, but he's always so gloomy and emotionally needy and well, I didn't particularly care. Zidane and Quina stole my emotional character attatchment for the game. You have to (well not necessarily) like a guy who still manages to be upbeat despite the fact he's surrounded by some of the most depressing people on the planet 24/7, not getting paid, laid or even praised.
Well said.

Christmas
09-16-2006, 04:41 PM
His name is not ripped off from some soccer player.

Black_Mage_Hiyasha
09-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Why Vivi is more popular then Zidane? Why Squall is more popular then Zidane? Why Cloud is more popular then Zidane?

Because they are emo. For some reason, almost all the FF fans, prefer emo characters instead of "happy" characters, like Zidane or Laguna.

I personally liked Zidane more than Cloud or Squall. He wasn't emo, he was social, and he didn't have the "I hate life" attitude. It was a great change! :choc2:

vivi the master
09-17-2006, 09:47 PM
number 1 look at my user name and sig and 2 he is cute:love: :love: :love:

RiseToFall
09-18-2006, 03:49 AM
He waddles. That's enough to win my heart. <3

_yeojina_
09-18-2006, 09:32 PM
His name is not ripped off from some soccer player.Good point.

chrisfffan
09-18-2006, 10:41 PM
people like the underdog!

vivi"s son#7
10-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Heis Vivi!!!

Dell
10-05-2006, 05:47 AM
*Hugs Miriel*

I find it very suprising that so many people like Vivi. I, myself, cannot stand him. Zidane and Vivi both are terrible characters, but if I had to choose one or the other I would choose Zidane. Both suck though.

Quina is the best in this game. She simply rules. No way around it.

Quina doesn't have gender and it scares me. But I like him/her anyway. :love:

you mean, a typical final fantasy main character such as cloud and squall. i like that cocky attitude personally. its more..."cool" i guess. while the people from square tried to make cloud and squall's attitude way too cool to the point that it gets annoying. zidane is cocky, yet clumsy with the ladies. but then again, very heroic.

doesnt zidane and vivi have similar problems?...theyre both "created" and both made for destruction. vivi and the black mages are no different from zidane and genomes.

Vivi knows his problem at the age of 9 (Kids!) and know it before Zidane. Vivi is down and goes emo but not terribly emo like Zidane in Terra.

Zidane is emo (more emoer than Cloud and Squall) in Terra.

Vivi is younger than Zidane and he's still growing. Both Zidane and Vivi leads a sad life. But Zidane got more attention than Vivi (Tantalus), Vivi only has his grandpa (Useless >.<). Both of them never know their problem until the event of the game, Vivi knows it before Zidane. Because of his immatureness, he's down all the time (But sometimes up). Zidane is a lot mature (Well, he's 16). But look at what happened to him in Terra, even Cloud and Squall could not match his emoness. Vivi knows his problem but not too emo like Zidane when he knows his problem.

Quina is emotionless, he/she only thinks about food.

Quindiana Jones
10-05-2006, 09:02 PM

Zidane is emo (more emoer than Cloud and Squall) in Terra.

Yeah, but he had one hell of a reason.

master axel
10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
vivi rules :tonberry: :tonberry: zidane is a:angel: oh no zidane is blasting of agin:save: wobbofet:kaoangry: :kaocry2: :kaobeg2:

Decessus
10-06-2006, 01:44 AM
He waddles. That's enough to win my heart. <3

Yes. Indeed he does. Indeed he does.

vivi rules :tonberry: :tonberry: zidane is a:angel: oh no zidane is blasting of agin:save: wobbofet:kaoangry: :kaocry2: :kaobeg2:

GO AWAY. :mad2:

Tainted Angel
10-24-2006, 01:26 AM
Same reason Spock was more popuular than Kirk. The curse of the Companion in fiction.

(Alternativly: Curse of the tional Hero.)

boys from the dwarf
10-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Black Waltz #3 is the best character.

vivi is just really likeable and is a very good character. its very hard to hate him but i guess people can look past all the character and personality, development and just say :love: its so cute!!:love:

black waltz 3 is a good enemy and definetly has some of the best scenes on the game as well as the funny look on his face before he's blown up.

Darth Cid
10-26-2006, 11:53 PM
why is vivi more popular than zidane??

I ask myself the same question every time I look at FFIX. Vivi is overrated imho, most of the time he constantly stays worried about existence, but no body can control existence so why worry about what you can't control? Zidane is a more carefree individual, he thinks about his purpose of existence, what Garland thinks it should be, but Zidane knows the only thing that matters is his purpose for existence according to him.

Quindiana Jones
10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
OMG ZNG ARE BACK!

Vivi is a small child. Nobody can dislike a small child. Except Eiko. I HATE HER. Whereas you can dislike Zidane withoput feeling guilty about it :bigsmile:

Darth Cid
10-27-2006, 08:30 PM
you can dislike Zidane withoput feeling guilty about it

What makes you say that, out of curiousity? If you mean you can Zidane dislike because he's older, yes, there is a innocence Vivi has in his apeearence, Zidane can never copy. I look at how Zidane led the group more than his appearence so I don't know.

No.78
10-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I used to like Vivi, but then everyone else liked him, so I stopped and decided I wasn't going to like him because he's nearly always sad. *takes off his hat, watches his body float away in the form of a black mist* BWAHAHAH

Darth Cid
10-27-2006, 11:16 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/ZidaneAndGarnet/ff920vivi.jpg

Fate Fatale
10-28-2006, 04:02 AM
I thought most of the other characters were annoying. I only like Quina, Vivi, Eiko, and Garnet... Mog too.

Shiny
10-28-2006, 04:45 AM
He's small...I can relate.

Ruskies
10-28-2006, 05:31 AM
I think everyone likes Vivi because they feel bad for him. Zidane is a total mack daddy and I personally would take a tail over a waddle anyday.

Quindiana Jones
10-28-2006, 12:24 PM
you can dislike Zidane withoput feeling guilty about it

What makes you say that, out of curiousity? If you mean you can Zidane dislike because he's older, yes, there is a innocence Vivi has in his apeearence, Zidane can never copy. I look at how Zidane led the group more than his appearence so I don't know.

I'd feel really guilty about disliking an innocent little boy. But I wouldn't feel so guilty if I disliked Zidane, who is quite grown up, especially for his age.

But I love them both so...:love:

'eMeRaLdFaYe'
10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
AWww.. Vivi is one of the most adorable characters of FFIX for me. He's cute, who wouldn't like him? He waddles, who wouldn't coo at the sight of him? And he's pretty interesting. I really like the guy. No, backtrack, love him! :love:

Jimsour
10-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Because Zidane was annoying, he had a fat head, he had a tail, he was crap, and I'll say it again, he was annoying.

Vivi on the other hand was emo, more powerful, and worked well with Steiner, another good character. He was probably one of the only characters with a background that made you go "awww".

Sums it up for me ;)

firstperson
11-01-2006, 10:28 PM
ff ix is imo the best,or one of the best of all final fantasy.and it would be the best,if it didn't have such an amazing ending.why?because all the characters are individuals.they have so strong personalities,like no other characters in ff7-12(these were played,the others?i dunno).
i think the fact,that in the end vivi dies,makes him more popular.
despite i liked zidane more,but my favourite was freya.

~SapphireStar~
11-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I personally think its because Vivi is a child and has not got a knowledge of the outside world like Zidane. Also hes so adorable ^^

Jigsaw
11-04-2006, 04:59 AM
I never got the deal with Vivi. Is there nothing but two glowing eyes inside the cloak? Man if I met a black mage in a dark alley I wouldn't want to be a bystander, I tell you that much.

VengefulRonin
11-13-2006, 12:41 AM
I loved Vivi ^_^ He's cute and he thinks waaay too much (which i can relate to), but he is also really POWERFUL. I dont know how many times that little dude saved my ass, he can learn one of the coolest spells in the game, Doomsday (which oddly enough overpowers holy), and he can even team up with Steiner on those magic sword attacks which is pretty freaking cool. And really, whats cooler than a cute innocent looking kid who can own any enemy he sees?
I like Zidane okay, but i think the most annoying thing about him was that he was a perv and tried to be a player and failed miserably at it.

Ashley Schovitz
11-13-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm not sure why Vivi is more popular.:confused: He's a good character I guess not my favorite though...But at least he wasn't annoying like that smurfing brat with the purple hair and the horn on her head!:mad:

purple hair are you talking about Setzer anywqay Vivi's more popular because he's so darn cute.:)

VengefulRonin
11-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Originally Bespoken by Ashley Schovitz'

purple hair are you talking about Setzer anywqay Vivi's more popular because he's so darn cute.

Erm...no...its Eiko, and she was a huge brat, wasnt even all that useful. Her summons sucked compared to Garnets (not that i even used summons much in IX, they're kinda weak), she had a sickly obsession with Zidane...and yeah, she was just stupid, i dont know anyone who ever liked her

feioncastor
11-13-2006, 03:02 AM
Note:This analysis is based on my observations as a video game collector and enthusiast, having associated with MANY other gamers with varying tastes all over the video game spectrum. Please refrain from publically humiliating me with facts and figures that disprove my theory. :(

The reason I like Vivi more than Zidane is because Vivi was a bit of a throw back to older FF fans. With the release of FF7, RPGs gained a much broader audience. Sure, FF3(SNES) was really popular and sold a great number of copies, but prior to FF7, most people played Marioesque games on their Super Nintendos. RPGs weren't for the average gamer. They were for the more nerdy intense gamer. I can remember owning FF2 for the SNES and being the only kid I knew that had even heard of it.

But when FF7 came out, the format changed slightly. Not in a bad way, but there was a clear difference. It was a hugely popular game and just about every I know who has owned a Playstation has owned FF7 at one point, and most of them own it still.

So now this hugely popular changes the way people view RPGs and makes Final Fantasy a common name, even amongst casual gamers. They continued with Final Fantasy VIII, also largely successful, but not as popular as FF7, I'd say.

But by this time, Squaresoft has got two groups of people to which they need cater. The newer fans brought in by 7 and 8, and the older fans who had been there since the earlier titles.

I honestly did not purchase Final Fantasy VIII. I got the demo of it with Brave Fencer Musashi, and I was not impressed. I've borrowed it and tried to play it, but I don't think it's a good game, for a lot of reasons that I will not get into right now.

And Squaresoft was beginning to lose their core base of fans, which made up virtually all of their sales prior to 1997. So I think that in order to attract that crowd back, they wanted to make a game with more similarities to the old Final Fantasy conventions, pre FF7. The image of Vivi is based on the Black Mage, which I believe you'll see plenty of in FF9, but also you'll see him in FF1, FF3, and FF5. He made an appearance in Final Fantasy Tactics, but that game has sort of become its own entity, seperate from the numbered series.

Vivi is popular amongst gamers like me because is modeled after my Black Mage's appearance from Final Fantasy I. Zidane's a fine character and serves his purpose well, but Vivi's known for his recognizeable face, or lack thereof.

VengefulRonin
11-13-2006, 03:14 AM
*claps*

Bravo feioncastor, very well said. In VII and VIII, there was really no distinction between a warrior and a mage, but in IX those distinctions were brought back. Vivi looked like an actual black mage from the olden days, and Steiner like an actual knight, etc. Not only does IX bring brack alot of the old stuff from the series (such as class distinctions and actually feeling like a fantasy game), but its kind of an homage to the old games. There's a whole lot of name-dropping in this game and other references to the old games. And really, most of the people i ever see who hate or undermine IX are the VII fanatics, the ones who started off on that game and are convinced that its God.

feioncastor
11-13-2006, 03:40 AM
I always find it weird when someone makes a "Which Final Fantasies have you played?" thread. I'm often dumbfounded at the number of people that consider themselves Final Fantasy fans, yet haven't bothered to play the first 6, sometimes even the first 7 or 8 or even 9. Many of them started with 10, and I write "10" instead of "X" because WAYYYYYYYYY too many people say "Final Fantasy Ecks" instead of "Final Fantasy Ten". Or a "Favorite FF Character" thread, where many people respond "Auron, Tidus, Yuna and Rikku", as though Square didn't make 9 entries into the series before releasing "Final Fantasy Ecks".

I saw this musician on MTV (which is weird because MTV doesn't usually show musicians) and he was showing a camera crew around his tour bus (no, it wasn't the show "Cribs", it was some other show) and he said, "Got a PS2 goin on... Lately I been playing Final Fantasy Ecks", and I then recalled, "Oh yeah... This is why I don't watch MTV.".

VengefulRonin
11-13-2006, 04:06 AM
I hate these new FF fans (and by new i am including the VII die-hards). They play those and believe that nothing can be better than the first FF they played, and generally have no desire to play the old ones, or dont like them because they dont have pretty graphics. Now i'm a new FF fan, but my first was IX. When i was first deciding which to buy it was between VII and IX, and i picked IX because it actually looked like a fantasy game instead of a sci-fi game. I played VII and beat it, then sold it cuz i didnt like it enough to replay it. I bought VIII and regretted it, sold it back 3 days later. I like X alot, but it still doesnt have much of a fantasy feel to it, and the story is weird. I have all the old ones, though i've yet to beat most of them because they're hard >_< And the original Tactics seems to be a somewhat forgotten game among the new fans, but its my second favorite after IX.

And i blame the "final fantasy ecks" syndrome on poor schooling, because kids these days dont know wtf roman numerals are.