ljkkjlcm9
09-14-2006, 06:22 AM
http://www.planetgamecube.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=12041

News Article: Wii Details a Bit Early
News Date: 09/13/2006 23:37:08
Source: New York Times
Link: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/285027_nintendo14.html

Discuss it in TalkBack! [13 Comments.]
The news on US price, date, and more has already hit the papers.
Click Here!
Seattle Post-Intelligencer has already posted details from The New York Times regarding the Wii announcement to be made later today.

Wii is set to launch in North and South America on November 19th, at a price of $250. By year end, twenty-five to thirty games are slated to be released, and Nintendo plans to ship 4 million consoles worldwide.

Wii Sports will be packaged with the console, including tennis, golf, baseball, and (previously unannounced) bowling.

As stated before, Nintendo does not intend to charge more than $50 for their own titles. About thirty virtual console games will be available for download when Wii launches, and these will cost $5 to $10 each.

Most surprising is that the Wii will have various media channels, including interactive news and weather channels, and a channel to view photos. The article reconfirms Wii can be used as a web browser as well.

"Our goal is to bring gaming back to the masses," Reggie Fils-Aime, president and chief operating officer of Nintendo of America, said in a telephone interview. "You see that in our pricing, you see that in the number of units we plan to make available this year and you see that in how we are positioning the Wii to appeal to every member of the household, including but not limited to the hard-core gamer."

We'll have much more information on Wii's launch and updated impressions on many games from tomorrow's press event in New York City.

Daniel Bloodworth, Content Editor

THE JACKEL

Yamaneko
09-14-2006, 06:25 AM
This hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo. It's supposed "insider" information aquired by the NY Times. Nintendo is holding a press conference as I type this. We should wait for an official announcement from them before believing anything.

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
I put my money that it'll be that price, if not, lower.

fantasyjunkie
09-14-2006, 08:28 AM
I still think that even though they won't win the console wars they will still give Microsoft and Sony a run for their money. I for one, am excited about having the Wii in addition to my 360.

Tidus Andronicus
09-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Check out Nintendo's updated Japanese Wii site!

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwii.com%2Fjp%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
Looks awesome to me!
Better Translation:
http://excite.co.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

Me thinks today and tomorrow's Wii news updates should go in this thread, rather than making any new ones... @_@ its bad enough every other forum on the net has 30 "OMFG Wii NEWS UPDATE" threads in 5 minutes.

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, let's try to keep the discussion to this thread :P Joystiq did a blog of the Japan event, links and stuff to videos, quite a bit of information. We (the US) get Wii before Japan

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/14/nintendo-japan-conference-not-so-liveblogging/

Rostum
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Several sites have it, but here's one of the 'live blogs' of the NYC event.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/live-at-nintendos-nyc-wii-press-conference/

The actual press release is in the comments of that site.

Mii channel seems cool, and answered one of my questions from E3: How did those tennis guys look so much like their real life people? The Wiimote's internal memory will allow you to take your avatar around with you. Cool stuff.

Agent Proto
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I am excited about the price, but I am disappointed that it will be in one color only (which is white), and will not include Wii Sports as I had hoped for. In any case, I'll wait until other colors are available before I buy a Wii.

Yamaneko
09-14-2006, 04:37 PM
It does include Wii Sports.

$39.99 for the remote. $19.99 for the nunchuck. Seems sort of expensive, especially if they don't plan on including a second Wiimote, which wouldn't make much sense if they were including a party game like Wii Sports.

edczxcvbnm
09-14-2006, 04:47 PM
$250 is too much for the Wii. I don't care about wii sports so I am really paying $50 for something I don't want. There should be different bundles of pack-in games.

Price is not impressive...but very disappointing for a system that is at the least 1/2 as powerful as the competition.

Mirage
09-14-2006, 04:50 PM
I think $250 is an attractive price tag, and I think tons of parents will think the same when they compare it to the other systems.

Sephex
09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
This is exactly what I thought it would cost. I'm cool with it.

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 04:58 PM
The price is quite reasonable. This isn't like other systems where you just need the system, a plug, and a controller. If it was just that, then yes, $250 would be quite a bit out of the price range.

With the Wii, you're getting the system, the plug, 2 parts of a controller (that are sold separately otherwise), the sensor bar, and a compilation of games. It's a good value. The Wiimote is $40, and the Nunchuck is $20, that's $60 right there that could be taken into consideration with the pricing. Who knows how much the sensor bar will be separately, but I'm sure it's not exactly a throwaway. The price is very reasonable when you consider what's in the box (just like the PS3).

Dreddz
09-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Im not surprised the Wii is $250. But the overall package isnt as impressing as I thought....

I dont think for one second that Nintendo are trying to give us value for money, its $250 because it the hardware is probably around that price mark. I dont want this to turn into a PS3 vs Wii thread, but the PS3 is much more value for money.

Cz
09-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Historically, UK gamers tend to get screwed when it comes to console prices, with new systems costing as much in Pounds as they do in Dollars. If that ends up being the case again, I'll seriously reconsider buying a Wii at launch, since £250 is far too much when you factor in having to buy extra Wiimotes and games. On the other hand, if we don't get screwed by the retailers, we should get the Wii for about £135, which is a fair price for a new console. We'll have to wait for the UK's RRP to be announced, but I think it's a decent price for you guys in the States.

Dreddz
09-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Historically, UK gamers tend to get screwed when it comes to console prices, with new systems costing as much in Pounds as they do in Dollars. If that ends up being the case again, I'll seriously reconsider buying a Wii at launch, since £250 is far too much when you factor in having to buy extra Wiimotes and games. On the other hand, if we don't get screwed by the retailers, we should get the Wii for about £135, which is a fair price for a new console. We'll have to wait for the UK's RRP to be announced, but I think it's a decent price for you guys in the States.

Dont hold your breath, not once in history has the UK had a fair price to the US.

Raebus
09-14-2006, 05:10 PM
I dont want this to turn into a PS3 vs Wii thread, but the PS3 is much more value for money.

So do you want to tell us why it's more value for the asking price?

Rainecloud
09-14-2006, 05:14 PM
I dont want this to turn into a PS3 vs Wii thread, but the PS3 is much more value for money.

Probably because of all the extra technology that nobody gives a damn about.

Madame Adequate
09-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Except all of us that give a damn about it and actually want a next-gen console.

Although the price of the Wii seems reasonable, two points. One; how long will the Wii remain a competetive console? Two; I'm not personally that interested in it. Yes, I would buy it for around £130 to £150, but realistically we'll be looking at over £200, most likely around £250. I do not consider that worth it for a console which I'm not interested in very much.

So I suppose we shall have to see what the UK RRP is.

bipper
09-14-2006, 05:35 PM
This hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo. It's supposed "insider" information aquired by the NY Times. Nintendo is holding a press conference as I type this. We should wait for an official announcement from them before believing anything.

AKA it was leaked so they could get a consumer responce with out much backlash.

I think it is too much; the xbox will win.

Bipper

Raebus
09-14-2006, 05:38 PM

Except all of us that give a damn about it and actually want a next-gen console.

I want a next gen console aswell, I also want a console that has more than 1 or 2 games that I'd be willing to pay for.

Madame Adequate
09-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Well then you'll want to wait a couple of years before you buy ANY of them.

MageLuingil
09-14-2006, 06:06 PM
With the Wii, you're getting the system, the plug, 2 parts of a controller (that are sold separately otherwise), the sensor bar, and a compilation of games. It's a good value.

Controller part 1 + Controller part 2 + sensor bar = controller

I'm sorry, but I don't think the controller's much use at all without all parts included. And I know it's no use without the sensor. I agree with Yamaneko that it's going to be too expensive to get a second controller, especially when launching with party games.

Erdrick Holmes
09-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Did they mention anything in the press conference about the Wii coming with that super-sexy virtual console controller?

Because this looks to be the best controller I ever seen. (http://www.newsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/wii%20controler.jpg)

And did they confirm that it would work with Gamecube controllers too?

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 07:30 PM
**Edit: to reply to Erdrick Holmes, the Classic controller (what they call it) is not included with the system (I think it's $20 separately), and they confirmed a long time ago that you can plug any Gamecube controller into it.**

Nintendo is not competing in the same areas that Sony and Microsoft are. Sony and Microsoft are targeting each other in this 'war', while Nintendo is targeting the consumer and people who don't play games. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo isn't trying to keep up with the other guys in the 'traditional' sense, so really making competitive comparisons between Nintendo and the others isn't very balanced.

Controller part 1 + Controller part 2 + sensor bar = controller

I'm sorry, but I don't think the controller's much use at all without all parts included. And I know it's no use without the sensor. I agree with Yamaneko that it's going to be too expensive to get a second controller, especially when launching with party games.

While this is mostly true, they're still separate devices with their own costs.

For most party games, like WarioWare and Wii Sports, you only need the Wiimote, which is $10 less than the 360's wireless controllers. And if we're gonna be making PS3 references, there's quite a bit of unusual technology inside all the parts of the Wiimote that could possibly cost more than what Nintendo is selling it for. I think Nintendo may actually be biting the bullet a little on this.

I can deal with people who just aren't interested. Perhaps they're just turning a blind eye to all the stuff going on in hopes of getting the PS3, among whatever reasons that I won't try to debate right now. That's fine. I want a PS3 too, but I don't think there are enough things going for it that make it worth getting immediately. In a year or two, it will definitely be worth it. On the other hand, Wii will have multiple things available right away that I want, so I will be picking it up at my soonest convenience.

In all I do believe that all this hype for all the systems is pretty premature, since few (if any) of us have actually played with them. It will be a while before we know if this will have the legs to support itself, but I would still be fine with having 20 years worth of gaming history in one 'Apple White' package. Heck, people in another thread are going 'ZOMG 7000 PS1 GAMES 4 PSP I GET PSP NOW!!', I should be justified in this.

Quick note to end it: Twilight Princess on the GC will *not* be available on the same day as the Wii version. Instead, TP:GC will be released in December. Nintendo has their own style of evil genius.

MageLuingil
09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
I agree with you on a lot of that, actually. I'm not getting any of the systems right off; I don't have a 360, I won't get a Wii right off, and I won't get a PS3 right off. But I never did quite warm up to the idea of the 'wiimote'. It's an interesting idea ... I'll have to see how it's used before I pass judgement.

As for Twilight Princess ... well, I've waited this long already, I don't think another month will kill me. Much.

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Indeed. Nintendo is pushing the whole 'playing is believing' thing, so maybe they're going to be having lots of demo stations in stores for people to try.

More opinions on the Wii launch announcement
http://www.skepticalgaming.com/2006/09/14/wii-launch-news-wrap-up/

LunarWeaver
09-14-2006, 07:50 PM
$250 is exactly what I expected.

I'll still wait to see who gets what games. Though Nintendo says they're also targeting the "hardcore gamer", they seem to be very intent on making my mom play the Wii too. I'm afraid the Wii will get a lot of games may be fun to play but have no narratives and will therefore be boring to me. And lots of party games. And after I buy all these Wii controllers I won't have any money to pay people to hang out with me anyway.

I'm one of the people who does not think that the gaming industry is going to die and crash and everything sucks and the Wii's new approach needs to save it. I am not bored with games that are "staples" in their genres, in fact I'm more excited for more games coming out this year than any year before.

Soo... It will all be about waiting for me. Probably waiting to see who gets the most RPGs.

Yamaneko
09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
No DVD video playback. Sorry guys.

Roto13
09-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh, poo. I guess I'll just have to stick to using one of my four other DVD players.

Ender
09-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Though Nintendo says they're also targeting the "hardcore gamer", they seem to be very intent on making my mom play the Wii too. I'm afraid the Wii will get a lot of games may be fun to play but have no narratives and will therefore be boring to me. And lots of party games. And after I buy all these Wii controllers I won't have any money to pay people to hang out with me anyway.

:laugh:

Best. Wii. Post. Ever.

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 08:19 PM
WHOA!!!! THIS IS HUGE! For me anyway.

Confirmed: First party games for the Wii will be REGION FREE.

http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1556591

As a note, the Japanese Wii is about $215 dollars and doesn't come with Wii Sports if you didn't care about that game. Tasty.

Dreddz
09-14-2006, 08:34 PM

As a note, the Japanese Wii is about $215 dollars and doesn't come with Wii Sports if you didn't care about that game. Tasty.

I totally dig that :cool:

And for the person asking why the PS3 is more value, do a bit of research, I dont have time to explain something so damn obvious :eep:

Madame Adequate
09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
I can dig that news about being region-free.

I just realized, checking some info out, how much I hate the name Wii. :(

Sephex
09-14-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm tired of this argument. I'd rather have a real DVD palyer to use then a half-assed one that is bundled in a system. Plus, DVD players are dirt cheap these days, so it would be smarter just to buy a DVD player instead.

Shoeberto
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM

I'm tired of this argument. I'd rather have a real DVD palyer to use then a half-assed one that is bundled in a system. Plus, DVD players are dirt cheap these days, so it would be smarter just to buy a DVD player instead.
It is pretty much a moot point nowadays. Five (six?) years ago, when the current gen was coming out, yeah, it was understandable to freak out about no DVD support, but now it's really a worthless feature that'll just drive up the price.

I'm disappointed that the controllers will cost like $40($60 for the full thing) a pop, but other than that, I'm satisfied.

Roto13
09-14-2006, 09:11 PM

It is pretty much a moot point nowadays. Five (six?) years ago, when the current gen was coming out, yeah, it was understandable to freak out about no DVD support, but now it's really a worthless feature that'll just drive up the price.

I kinda have to wonder how many people who complain about lack of DVD support already have one.

Yamaneko
09-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Not complaining. Posting the news. Perhaps I should have stated that differently. Sorry for the confusion.

edczxcvbnm
09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
My PS2 is my dvd player.

$40 for that controller is still a rip off. The chuck senses its space also and it actually has an analog stick. It should cost the same as just the wiimote. Screw you Pretendo!

SCREW EVERYTHING! It should all be free O_o

Dreddz
09-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Tomorrow is the European launch details, take a deep breathe people...

Mirage
09-14-2006, 09:43 PM

And for the person asking why the PS3 is more value, do a bit of research, I dont have time to explain something so damn obvious :eep:

Yes, it's more value just like a Ferrari F50 for 100000 dollars is.

Roto13
09-14-2006, 09:43 PM
$40 for that controller is still a rip off. The chuck senses its space also and it actually has an analog stick. It should cost the same as just the wiimote.

And yet they're only selling it for half as much. Amazing!

Dreddz
09-14-2006, 09:45 PM

I didnt say it wasnt expensive mind.

edczxcvbnm
09-14-2006, 09:47 PM
$40 for that controller is still a rip off. The chuck senses its space also and it actually has an analog stick. It should cost the same as just the wiimote.

I call shenanigans! I gotta go home and get my broom!

Roto13
09-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Ed is my bitch.

edczxcvbnm
09-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Sorry but I am already Sephex's bitch. You have to ask him for permission.

*note that Sephex is also edczxcvbnm's bitch*

O_o

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 09:53 PM

But the Wiimote is a lightgun and a memory card (sort of) too!

Tifa's Real Lover(really
09-14-2006, 10:06 PM
i guess i expected too much

Sephex
09-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Sorry but I am already Sephex's bitch. You have to ask him for permission.

*note that Sephex is also edczxcvbnm's bitch*

O_o

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU TODAY?!?!

Though, I do agree with your "everything should be free" logic.

Agent Proto
09-14-2006, 10:15 PM
It does include Wii Sports.

$39.99 for the remote. $19.99 for the nunchuck. Seems sort of expensive, especially if they don't plan on including a second Wiimote, which wouldn't make much sense if they were including a party game like Wii Sports.

Wait, are you sure? I guess the information I read somewhere was incorrect. xD

JKTrix
09-14-2006, 10:24 PM
The Japanese launch does not include Wii Sports, which is probably one reason why it's cheaper.

Mirage
09-15-2006, 02:34 PM

I didnt say it wasnt expensive mind.

Point is, it doesn't matter how much damn value it is, cause I can't afford it.

bipper
09-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Dumb question, but I am far to lazy to look anything up; can teh Wii play Gamecube game disks?

Kawaii Ryûkishi
09-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Yes, it can.

bipper
09-15-2006, 04:15 PM
I love you and nintendo. Now if only there was a way to play gameboy color and gameboy games on a DS :(

Mirage
09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Isn't there an adapter for that too? Not sure though.

Madame Adequate
09-15-2006, 05:20 PM
European price will be £179/Euro249, released on December 8th, with pretty much the same array of things available as the US.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6157699.html?tag=topslot;action;1

Cz
09-15-2006, 07:19 PM
European price will be £179/Euro249, released on December 8th, with pretty much the same array of things available as the US.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6157699.html?tag=topslot;action;1This works for me. It's not quite as cheap as it should be, but still quite a decent price. I imagine Nintendo will do some pretty good business in Europe this Christmas.

JKTrix
09-16-2006, 02:23 AM
Dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit dammit....

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/wii-not-even-remotely-region-free/

Dammit.
Why must you play with my heart so...
Oh well, I'll find a way to play import games.

Yamaneko
09-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Honestly I could care less about Wii Sports. It's not worth $50, that's for sure. The $250 price tag is going to have me holding out until next year to see how the system fairs.

JKTrix
09-16-2006, 02:45 AM
If Wii Sports were sold separately, I doubt it would go for $50.

I just watched this week's 1up show, and I have to say I'm liking Wii Sports a lot more now. The boxing looks awesome.
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6056

But again, you're gonna have to get a 2nd set of $60 controllers to play with 2 people. Sigh.

And I'm still pretty bummed by the debunking of region-freeness.

Yamaneko
09-16-2006, 02:48 AM
It's not worth $40 either. Japanese price is around $210.

Tidus Andronicus
09-16-2006, 04:53 AM
sheesh people, We know all set ourselves up for disapointment... not Nintendo...

Nintendo only said the Wii would be less than $250, They never said it would be 200 or less.

And dont give me that "oh but Nintend could sell it for less because they are making a profit" -_- oh wow, imagine that, a business making money...
Listen, Nintendo doesn't have huge electronics and software departments to back up their profits like Sony and MS have. Gaming is all Nintendo has, so thats how they have to make all their money.

http://www.infendo.com/2006/09/wii-conference-day-decompression.html
I think that about sums up the situation nicely! ^

anyway, $250 covers the console, the (wireless) Wiimote, the nunchaku, Wireless WiFi, WiiSports (the first packaged at launch game since the early days long ago) What else am I forgeting...? lol

I think thats damn worth it for a Next Gen console. Especially when you look at console launch price history... all you see is 200-250s throughout the years, until Sony and Microsoft show up, then you start getting 300 and up... All Nintendo has done is provide Wii at the same great price range that all consoles should cost. (and its my beleif that if your console costs more than this 300, you need do what you can to make it lower than 300, even if that makes it less powerful, so that its cheap enough for people to actually afford).