PDA

View Full Version : Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn is better than Oblivion.

Ultima Shadow
09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Yet another pointless thread! Yay! Here we go! :hyper:

Yeah... so... I like... totally played Oblivion a bit, and then I thought: "wtf? you can't even choose between different voices in the character creation thingy!"

In Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, however, you CAN choose between different voices. So yeah... Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn is pretty much superior in every singel way.

Discuss.

...and as much as I'd like to end this post right here, I'd also like to add:

Oblivion got:

-Better graphics.
-More "freedom" (BG2 still got lots of freedom too, though).
-More realistic feel (it's first-person).
-Bigger world to explore.
-More, but less interesting side-missions.
-Possibility to enchant your non-magical weapons and create your own spells.

Baldurs Gate 2 got:

-More creatures with better designs including gigantic and powerful dragons.
-More challenging battles and BOSS FIGHTS!
-More interesting spells and magical weapons.
-A whole lot better story line.
-Better music (especially battle-music).
-You can controll more than just 1 character.
-While you can't make your female characters look "sexy", they will atleast not look extremely "ugly").
-THE VOICES!
-Minsc and his mighty hamster, Boo! Minsc is one of the most awesome RPG characters ever!
-Less, but more interesting side-missions.

Oblivion lacks:

-No matter how hard I try, when I try to make a decent-looking female character in Oblivion, she always turns out looking bloody ugly! And their voices... GROSS! (and yes, I DO realize Oblivion isn't supposed to be a hentai-game)
-Big bad bosses and DRAGONS!
-A "delete spell" option.
-A sex-scene whith a beaver named "Bread".
-Being able to customize more than just the face and class in the character creation (voice *cough*).

Baldur's Gate 2 lacks:

-Realistic feel to the same grade as Oblivion.
-An extremely freaking gigantic world-map (it's still pretty big, though).
-A sex-scene with a beaver named "Bread".
-Possibility to enchant your non-magical weapons and create your own spells.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love Oblivion. But I'd just like to point out that BG2 (a game most of you have probably not even heard of) is still better overall. Yes, this is a completely pointless statement, I know. :)

Also, I'd like to mention that Baldur's Gate 2 is a D&D game, Oblivion is not. I just wanted to compare these 2 games because they both have lots of freedom, character creation, they both are kick-ass awesome game and finally because of various reasons that will remain unknown. :greenie:

That's all. Now I'll go and play Oblivion some more. I'm now level 28! Yay! :cool:

Discuss! (yay! I said the word "discuss" twice in the same post... wait... now I said it a 3th time! OMG! I'd also like to mention that there probably isn't much to discuss (that's 4!) really. But if you're bored and have played both games (which you probably haven't) then I guess you could give it a try, if you can be bothered (which you probably can't)).

Smilie added for extra fun: :)

Ender
09-14-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with pretty much all of your analysis.

If a player is the least bit interested in the Forgotten Realms setting and/or can adapt to the DnD-type of RPG then BG2 is superior to Oblivion. In fact, under those conditions, BG2 is one of the greatest games ever IMO.

I've played, though not finished, both Oblivion and Morrowind and couldn't get into either of them. I can appreciate the scope and sophistication of the game world they were shooting for, and yet at the same time I feel they lack the "intensity" that would keep me playing. I can see why they are well-loved though, I just prefer BG2 (and BG1 for that matter).

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Is Oblivion on D&D 3.5? Because BG1 and BG2 use D&D 2nd Edition, which is a nightmare of a system, to say the least.

Yamaneko
09-15-2006, 02:46 AM
Different games. Different gameplay systems. TES is not the D&D universe.

Odaisé Gaelach
09-15-2006, 03:04 AM
Different games. Different gameplay systems. TES is not the D&D universe.

There you go.

Markus. D
09-15-2006, 04:57 AM
perhaps but Obilvion is a more solo-esque game. allowing you to feel more involved. as to managing an entire party.

Ultima Shadow
09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Different games. Different gameplay systems. TES is not the D&D universe.Exactly! :greenie:

Also, I'd like to mention that Baldur's Gate 2 is a D&D game, Oblivion is not. I just wanted to compare these 2 games because they both have lots of freedom, character creation, they both are kick-ass awesome game and finally because of various reasons that will remain unknown.:greenie:

I just, for some unknown reasons, felt the need to compare these 2 games, even though they are completely different. :cool:

Madame Adequate
09-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Maybe so, but neither of them touch Morrowind.

I swear, Morrowind with Oblivion's graphics, physics, and interface would be gaming heaven.

bipper
09-15-2006, 03:04 PM
BG 2 is about one of my favorite games; if only the final half was any good :(

Devourment
09-18-2006, 01:46 PM
What about Icewind Dale II? :greenie:

Rainecloud
09-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Shadows of Amn makes me smile more than Oblivion.

(Only because my low-end PC can't run Oblivion properly...)