PDA

View Full Version : Magic the Gathering tournament 2: The Revenge

Jebus
09-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Well, I got bored, and while looking at the spoiler for the new set coming out in a month, I felt we should go for another MTG tourney.

This one, as promised, will be using Magic Workstation, which is available here: http://www.magicworkstation.com/downloads.php

Once you've downloaded that, run the autoupdater, or download the most recent master database sos you can get the cards. (The most recent Database can be found here: http://www.mwsgames.com/index.php/Main_Page )

If you want the card arts, then download them via bittorrent here: http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/852099/MWS_HQ_MTG_PICS_Complete_thru_CS_September_5_2006

Now then. PM if you wish to enter. As we're not using Apprentice this time, I hope we can avoid the connection problems we had last time. And I'm also hoping for more entrants. As with last time, we will be using type 1 (Vintage) rules. That means no Un- sets or banned cards. Standard rules on restricted cards. Also, each round lasts for three days, wherein you and your opponent set up your own match times. Then you notify me of the winner. Same as last time.

Now then, build your decks, and send me your pm.

Also, could a mod sticky this? plzkthx

Currently registered:
Jebus
Behold the Void
Strider
edczxcvbnm
Khaotic
Ultima Shadow
Joel
NINJA_Ryu

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-15-2006, 12:25 AM
You know, I know of a deck that doesn't lose in type 1. I'll probably refrain from using it though. Especially given what it relies on.

But yes. Anyway. I gotta defend my title ^_^

Jebus
09-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Could a mod sticky this or something, please?

Wanna make sure people who play know this is here.

Strider
09-15-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm so there. Again.

Jebus
09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Alright. We already got half as many people as we did last time. Hopefully more will sign up.

edczxcvbnm
09-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I am so down with this. I have not played since 5th edition came out so is there a web site of cards that are banned or restricted? I have no clue what type 1 even means...and I never really played by those rules anyways. What is the point of having a card if I can't use it?

Is there deck size restrictions? I hate being restricted to using only 60 cards. I want so much more in the deck :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-15-2006, 07:15 PM
I could have SWORN I stickied this when I posted. Oh well, it has been done.

And as I recall type 1 is no banned cards and only a few restricted cards like Moxes, Black Lotus, etc..

edczxcvbnm
09-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Awesome. I like the no bans. I should be able to find a list of restrictions then. I thought it was something like "No cards from 7th gen and down that are not in the current gens"

EDIT:

Banned and Restricted card list.

http://www.essentialmagic.com/Rules/BRList.asp

Khaotic
09-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Nevermind, the program is too hasty, its basically like playing in real life minus the fact you need to communicate by typing, which can get really annoying when you want to counter something and the person keeps playing his turn.

Jebus
09-16-2006, 04:39 AM
Well, damn.

Guess I'll leave this up for about a week or something so hopefully some others see it.

Tasura
09-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Im going to test out the program first to see if it likes me, then I'll se about entering.

theundeadhero
09-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Does following the card link give a player access to every card that's been made for Magic in the past million years? If so, that would take days to look through them all and decide which ones to build a deck out of.

Khaotic
09-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Does following the card link give a player access to every card that's been made for Magic in the past million years? If so, that would take days to look through them all and decide which ones to build a deck out of.

Don't need to look through them, just know the cards and pick from your mind ;o

Jebus
09-16-2006, 10:16 PM
This program, once you get the MD, has every card ever printed. Including promotional, and unique cards. *nods*

Still you should do it anyway. It's just fun.

Tasura
09-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Jeebs, in your first post you linked to the client twice, and not the cards http://www.mwsgames.com/index.php/Main_Page

Ultima Shadow
09-16-2006, 10:29 PM
While I haven't played magic except for last time there was a tourney and thus I'm still a Magic-n00b, I'm going to join this time as well. Sign me up! :cool:

Khaotic
09-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Are we allowed to playtest with eachother? I need an opponent who isn't going to leave just because hes getting owned-_-;

EDIT: Took out the pointless image.

I'm confused about one thing though, some players play like incredibly fast, I'm talking an entire turn(including phases) in 4 seconds.

Jebus
09-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Sure, go ahead and play each other as much as you want.

Khaotic
09-17-2006, 02:59 AM
anyone wanna play...? Add me on AIM - KhaoticDizaster

Ultima Shadow
09-17-2006, 05:07 PM
anyone wanna play...? Add me on AIM - KhaoticDizasterI'll play you, once I've built a deck to play with. :greenie:

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Same here.

Zeromus_X
09-17-2006, 09:07 PM
((Not sure if he should join yet))

I just have a question. I've downloaded everything including the card arts, but how do I make the card arts appear on the cards?

Jebus
09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Move the folders with the cropped images into your Magic Workstation/pics folder.

Khaotic
09-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Ok, so whichever person finishes their deck first we can play ;o

Jowy
09-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Can my 56K handle the download?

Also, wtf when did Crop Rotation and Frantic Search get banned?

Khaotic
09-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Banned? you mean restricted?

NINJA_Ryu
09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
ANOTHER MAGIC TOURNEY!!!????

Im here, there, and off to wipe the floor with my super secret cards..........:P

Erdrick Holmes
09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=Jowy;1895828]Can my 56K handle the download?/QUOTE]

Yeah it can, I managed to play with Jebus just fine last night.

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Could someone send me the current banned/restricted list, or tell me how to check the legality of my deck. Just want to make sure.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Ed posted this earlier, banned and restricted cards:

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Ed posted this earlier, banned and restricted cards:

Oh, didn't notice. :p

Thanks.

Jebus
09-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Allright, then. I'm gonna give until the end of the day (11:59 CST) and then registration will close, and the actual tournament will start.

Khaotic
09-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Aww I thought it was going to start today, and I was gonna be able to play my first match ;( oh well, tomorrow, then.

edczxcvbnm
09-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I can't wait. I made my blue deck to the best of my knowledge from years ago. I hope I make it past the first round.

Del Murder
09-21-2006, 02:26 AM
Why is this in The Lounge?

Jebus
09-21-2006, 04:13 AM
Because last time I held this, I was told it went in the lounge.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-21-2006, 05:24 AM
There's arguments for it going in either the Lounge or Gen Gaming, really.

I need to tweak my sideboard a bit and I should be good.

Erdrick Holmes
09-21-2006, 06:27 AM
So, any idea when this will be held?

Jebus
09-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Right about now would be good. Completely forgot. >_>

Anyway...

First round pairings:
Behold the Void
vs
NINJA_Ryu

Khaotic
vs
Ultima Shadow

Jebus
vs
Strider

edczxcvbnm
vs
Joel

Same rules as last time, PM your opponent, find a good time for the both of you, and then PM me with the results.

The first round will last three days.

Also, remember to give you opponent time to resolve their spells. Don't just go barrelling through your turn.

*nods*

Ultima Shadow
09-21-2006, 09:35 PM
I lose. :p

The second match was freaking close (got pwned in the first), but Khaotic's a worthy winner. :cool:

Erdrick Holmes
09-23-2006, 04:02 AM
A WINNAR IS ME.

edczxcvbnm
09-23-2006, 09:46 PM
This is crap. My connection got lost in the first time we played so we had to start over. Then he won. I call bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifz.

I did how ever beat the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of him in a fun game right afterwards.

Erdrick Holmes
09-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Dude, even in that game where your connection commited suicide I'd still have eaten you alive. I had a hand full of cards that can destroy enchantments and a Call of the Wild out.

edczxcvbnm
09-23-2006, 10:08 PM
I had a hand full of counter spells. You weren't gonna play crap.

Ultima Shadow
09-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Whoa! It's not like you're playing for money or anything. It's just a tourney for fun, man! Chill out! :cool:

edczxcvbnm
09-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Winning is everything. Everything else is crap :D

Jebus
09-24-2006, 06:43 AM
Well, considering Strider didn't want to read the opening post, and didn't realize we were using MWS instead of Apprentice this time, he decided to drop out instead of learning a new program.

Anyway, Round two assignments:
NINJA_ryu
vs
Khaotic

Jebus
vs
Joel

Once again, you have three days.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-24-2006, 07:07 AM
Next time this rolls around I'm playing a bloody sure-win deck.

*grumbles*

Khaotic
09-24-2006, 09:19 AM
What happens after 3 days and you haven't played? This ninja ryu guy like never posts, I've never even talked to him before, let alone seen him.

Jebus
09-24-2006, 08:25 PM
If you can't get a hold of him in three days, then he forfeits.

Erdrick Holmes
09-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Jebus got his ASS kicked HARD!

KH-Cloudy
09-25-2006, 06:35 AM
i never played before and it looks intresting >:)
ill sign up for the next tourney >_>
PS:ZOMG MILES EDGEWORTH JEBUSES!!HES EVIL XD

Jebus
09-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Final round:
NINJA_ryu
vs
Joel

Once again, you have three days, but considering how quickly this round went, you probably won't need them.

Khaotic
09-25-2006, 09:24 AM
i never played before and it looks intresting >:)
ill sign up for the next tourney >_>
PS:ZOMG MILES EDGEWORTH JEBUSES!!HES EVIL XD
You never played MTG before..? Please don't sign up then <.<; no offense.. just my opinion though, but this is a tourney, not a place to learn how to play.

NINJA_Ryu
09-26-2006, 12:35 AM

*grumbles*

bah, insta win decks arent fun

hell, my deck had some flaws, now that the tourney is over, time to revamp! whoo...

Jebus
09-26-2006, 01:08 AM
And it's over.

A winner is NINJA_ryu.

Khaotic
09-26-2006, 01:49 AM

*grumbles*

bah, insta win decks arent fun

hell, my deck had some flaws, now that the tourney is over, time to revamp! whoo...

Your deck was just a simple elf deck.. I was expecting you to be an experienced player so I made a U/R fish deck to handle the combos, control, and maybe even dragon decks, and then when I face you its just an elf deck -_- pissed me off. Could've easily won if I had used my ubastax deck.

Erdrick Holmes
09-26-2006, 03:01 AM
Elf decks piss me off.

Elf decks are kinda like Sliver decks, they almost cheat. xD

Khaotic
09-26-2006, 03:28 AM
Elf decks aren't even good...

Massacre
Wrath of God
Slice and dice

and the countless other 1-3 global damaging spells. Not to mention in vintage, green(mono) has no card advantage, so even with the elves and hundreds of mana, its useless without spells. One wrath of god kills elves, they can't even counter spell, Chalice of the Void + Trinisphere = game over for elves. They can also be quite slow, compared to a combo deck that can go off turn 1 or 2, decks such as worldgorger dragon, tendrils(if you consider this combo) fastbond + crucible of worlds + zuran orb(infinate health), auriok salvagers + black lotus/lion's eye diamond(infinate mana, damage, and health if you have 1
spellbomb in graveyard) Brain freeze decks with 0 casting cost artifacts and vedalken archmage, and countless others.

My point is, elves are not good in vintage T1.

"but but khaotic, he DID win, you do realize that, right?"

Yeah, had I not assumed him to be an actual good player playing combo or control, I would've won. :greenie:

Fin.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Now I remember why I beat those down with my Dragon Storm, I had the multi-target fire to take it out.

And, well, big freakin' beasties.

NINJA_Ryu
09-26-2006, 04:30 AM
eh, wha? everyone is pissed at the elves? They just need some loving ^ ^

But yea, i get that alot :D

Well, what should i use next time if everyone is so hostile to my beloved elves? (elf haters...bah!) :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-26-2006, 07:40 AM
Oh, go right ahead and use the elf deck. I'm so annoyed that I lost to one that I'll ensure you get no turns to use them.

Ultima Shadow
09-26-2006, 03:25 PM

Well, what should i use next time if everyone is so hostile to my beloved elves? (elf haters...bah!) :pBah, they are just pissed off because of the fact that you actually won. Good job! :p

And I agree that instant-win decks are no fun. :greenie:

edczxcvbnm
09-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Well, what should i use next time if everyone is so hostile to my beloved elves? (elf haters...bah!) :p

All this hate makes me want to take you on for fun! Wanna play?