PDA

View Full Version : Old School Video Games

The Fat Bioware Nerd
09-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Does anybody here still play with the older consoles like the Super Nintendo or the Sega Genesis? I recently bought a Nintendo 64 and I also bought a copy of Paper Mario...Because I just got done playing Paper Mario : The Thousand-Year Door and I heard it was a sequel to the original Paper Mario which was on the Nintendo 64 platform. So I decided to go back and play the original to see what it was like and it was pretty fun but I think The Thousand-Year Door is one of those rare sequels that is actually better than the original.:)

Araciel
09-15-2006, 05:43 AM
i have them locked away in my closet...but i play all the games on my pc...emulation is awesome!

ValkyrieWing
09-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Heh. Turbo Grafix 16 forever!

And Atari...I have both and they still work. :)

Araciel
09-15-2006, 05:54 AM
TURBO GRAFX....totally forgot....tiger road was the all time greatest game

ValkyrieWing
09-15-2006, 06:01 AM
XD

I liked Bonk and Keith Courage. Oh, and on the CD, Y's FOREVER!

oddler
09-15-2006, 06:05 AM
The best games were made between the 16-bit and 32-bit era. Bottom line. All the best: Phantasy Stars, Final Fantasies, Legends of Zelda, Metroid, Shining Forces, Tales of Destinies, Star Ocean... Man, the list goes on and on. :)

Araciel
09-15-2006, 06:06 AM
is it a coincidence that those are all RPGs?
heh

forgottenmemory
09-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Does anybody here still play with the older consoles like the Super Nintendo or the Sega Genesis? I recently bought a Nintendo 64 and I also bought a copy of Paper Mario...Because I just got done playing Paper Mario : The Thousand-Year Door and I heard it was a sequel to the original Paper Mario which was on the Nintendo 64 platform. So I decided to go back and play the original to see what it was like and it was pretty fun but I think The Thousand-Year Door is one of those rare sequels that is actually better than the original.:)

i love playing Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games, even TaleSpin ones i have, and mario games too ya ya la

Rase
09-15-2006, 06:50 AM
SNES = Super Metroid = Win

Madame Adequate
09-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Mega Drive = Cannon Fodder, Flashback, and Eternal Champions.

Yes to all of those.

Captain Maxx Power
09-15-2006, 11:27 AM
I tend to Snesulate, Gensulate and Nesulate on a regular basis. Many of the games of yester year don't compare in terms of immersion or presentation, but for a quick blast you can't beat some of the classics.

Incidentally I've yet to find a two-player game on the face of the planet better than Gunstar Heroes.

Xander
09-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I still play the sega megadrive (genesis) and also Amiga from time to time. Less at the moment but I have them both pretty much set up. Most recently I was playing cannon fodder on the amiga and sonic spinball on the megadrive. Megadrive is the best console :) C64 is great too but too long to load these days (and emulators are blah)

oddler
09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
heh

Well, supposedly, the Zelda and Metroid games are more action-based and not considered RPGs, so smleh...

Mo-Nercy
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I replay Tales of Phantasia and Chrono Trigger a helluva lot. But other than that, I'm more into arcade games and arcades tend to keep their games pretty new. Though I'm always always play Daytona USA when there's other to play. It's just too easy ^^

Mirage
09-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I play old school videogames through emulation all the time.

Dreddz
09-15-2006, 05:11 PM
I usually play my Megadrive, and sometimes my Master System. Its usually if I have a need to play a certain game. Other than that, I usually play current gen consoles...

Pete for President
09-15-2006, 05:14 PM
I hardly ever play old school games these days, although Bomberman on the Sega is still awesome with a few friends.

Araciel
09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
heh

Well, supposedly, the Zelda and Metroid games are more action-based and not considered RPGs, so smleh...

yeah well... they have a lot of rpg elements..but whatever

Roto13
09-15-2006, 06:14 PM
I still have all of my old consoles, going back as far as the old Ataris. I have two, but I don't know what models they are. I still have a NES, SNES, Genisis, etc, but I don't really play them unless I emulate them. Really, the fun thing about old games is the nostalgic feeling. :P

Cz
09-15-2006, 07:16 PM
I play my Sega Mega Drive from time to time, even though I don't have many games for it.

ValkyrieWing
09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
I worship T of D.

Bloodline666
09-15-2006, 10:43 PM
With the exception of the PS1, I still have all my old consoles. NES, SNES, and N64. I loved the Zelda games on N64, and I was a big fighting game freak when I got the SNES; that started with Street Fighter 2, and continued with Samurai Showdown, Killer Instinct, Clay Fighter (a hilarious one, though), etc. That continued when I had the N64 (though my favorite game on that console was Star Fox 64). When I got the PlayStation, I was really into Tekken, and it was my mom who introduced me to Final Fantasy 7, in the form of getting it for me for Christmas the year it came out. I thought Battle Arena Toshinden was going to be bad-ass when the PlayStation was first launched, so when I first got a PlayStation, I rented Battle Arena Toshinden once, but it got boring rather quickly.

The only time I ever felt ripped off when buying a video game was when Mortal Kombat came to the home consoles, and back in those days, you most likely either had an SNES or a Genesis (having both was a rarity); well, I just so happened to have an SNES. I bought Mortal Kombat, and I was like...where the hell's all the blood? I can't believe they replaced it with that /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif that looks like sand...and what happened to the cool Fatalities from the Genesis port like the Spine Rip, Heart Rip, Lightning Decapitation, and Uppercut Decapitation (my cousin had the Genesis version and showed me the blood code for it; which the SNES didn't have)? I didn't want to give up my SNES in favor of Genesis, though, because Super Mario World was still one of my favorite games at the time, and at the time my dad wanted me to either have an SNES or a Genesis, and not both. Thankfully, Nintendo aborted their no-violence policy upon realizing that the Genesis version of MK1 majorly outsold the SNES version, and put the blood in MK2 for SNES.

Eiko Guy
09-15-2006, 10:47 PM
the games that are 18-32 are best because nobody had uber high expectations we just took a leap and now if it oesnt do something new but story 3 or 4 out of 10

Moon Rabbits
09-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Actraiser kthnx.

oddler
09-16-2006, 12:37 AM
the games that are 18-32 are best because nobody had uber high expectations we just took a leap and now if it oesnt do something new but story 3 or 4 out of 10

Nobody expected much from games in the past but now, since we've had a lot of jumps in graphics and gameplay, if a game doesn't introduce something unique then it is considered worse than others.

Don't mind me; I'm just talking to myself and trying to make sense of what you just wrote. :eep:

Eiko Guy
09-16-2006, 04:04 PM
thats what i was saying back then all things ended up being different mostly but now everything is scrutinized too much gore not enough fighting too much running around not realistic enough its hard to be good when youre judged that hard

Kryton87
09-18-2006, 07:16 AM
my favorite games are the old ones. Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy 3j, Zelda: A Link to the Past, (a lot of 3rd games), Super Metroid, Zelda II: Link's Adventure, Super Mario Bros. 2j. Great games... all made prePlaystation, also all Nintendo... hmm... I also like Bomberman for the TG16, as well as Bonk's Revenge. Bonk 3 wasn't up to par though...

I play all of these games (excluding FF3j because I don't have a famicom) on my consoles whenever I can. My NES and SNES are both set up on my big TV, and the games are awesome. It would be nice if I could get an emulated ROM ported to an NES cart though... imagine that... a modified game on a real NES... Woot!

Jowy
09-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Happiness is beating the speederbike level of Battletoads after fifteen years of not being able to do it. <3

ValkyrieWing
09-18-2006, 07:35 AM
my favorite games are the old ones. Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy 3j, Zelda: A Link to the Past, (a lot of 3rd games), Super Metroid, Zelda II: Link's Adventure, Super Mario Bros. 2j. Great games... all made prePlaystation, also all Nintendo... hmm... I also like Bomberman for the TG16, as well as Bonk's Revenge. Bonk 3 wasn't up to par though...

Bonk 3 was BAD. :)

I can still beat Bonk's Adventure in 3 hours. Nonstop.

Araciel
09-18-2006, 07:45 AM
genesis is my secret guilty pleasure console...though a lot of people would say it was a mainstream system back in the day, i still find the library kinda lacking in quantity of enkoyable games...but i so enjoyed gems like phantasy star 4 and shining force 2...ooooh and crusader of centy! anyone remember that one? heheh

Markus. D
09-18-2006, 08:26 AM
I have an Atari n_n...

yup, no numbers, just Atari.

a couple dozen games to.... like Pacman and

edit: forgot to finish what I was typing. Maze Craze. anyone remember those?

Cruise Control
09-19-2006, 03:26 AM

Lets analyze the above shall we.

There are several ways to interpret the above "sentence". One is to assume he is playing 18-32 year old games. Like chess. Except chess has no story line, so either this is the wrong interpretation of the sentence, or he's so deprived of friends that he invented (and rated) a plotline for chess.

The second way is to assume he is talking about bit era's. This makes more sense, but to think I missed out on the entire 18 bit era and potential classics blows my mind. This form of interpretation gives the idea that the writer prefers classic games. This due to the fact that everyone had a "what the hell attitude" and just took the plunge when buying games. This being in opposition to these days where everyone expects innovation in every single game, and reads reviews before buying.

Now, with the help of our friends, the grammar gang, lets restructure the sentence.

The games that are in the 16-32 bit era's are the best, because nobody had uber high expectations of games, we just took a leap of faith. Now if it doesn't change anything but the story, it only scores a 3 or 4 out of 10.

Proper English is your friend.

Next week on The Grammar Gang: We restructure president Bush's State of the Union address.