PDA

View Full Version : War or Drk?

SigmaMan
09-16-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm leveling my War right now(lv34) but the jobs kinda boring,would changing over to Dark Knight be a good idea,is it more of a fun job for a begginer like me?

abrojtm
09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Drks deal more damage and tank less, but the upkeep is slightly higher--if that sounds better to you, then go for it. War is gonna stay pretty boring.

SigmaMan
09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
hmm yeah good point,i could go on google but id rather ask here,where can i find drk knight at.

Bahamut2000X
09-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Well DRK has it's advantages. With it you gain more then just hack and slash, with some buffs for yourself. You also get access to spells, so you can aide a bit with that. And well playing DRK right, will keep you real busy. I know it dod for me 10-32 in parties. And by right, I mean having crossbow leveled, and using acid bolts to lower def on the mobs, using spells right (debuffing when no one else is, saving nukes for MB, and of course using the absorb stats when you get them as appropiately.)

I remember in the dunes I spent such a long time leveling both my Great Sword and my Scythe, plus keeping my marksmenship skill up. Then in fights trying my best top get Acid Bolts to stick, then SC with the Samurai, and still MB on top of it.

Really DRK I would funner with all the little toys they gain access to. But if you don't like being on top of so many things then WAR is the way to go, as they really only need to pull (if no one else can/will) tank (as needed till later levels, and even then only on occasion as needed.) and do the SC. Plus if you want to help out a bit more you can use Acid Bolts as WAR to help debuff the mob and get it's defense down a bit.

Khaotic
09-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Judging from your signature, you look like you're using a Great Sword as a WAR? You may have more fun with a Great Axe, WAR can be quite fun, and you can bring out some decent numbers (especially 55+). I personally think you should unlock ninja, level it to 37(or atleast 30) then take war up to 55 using /mnk or /thf and keep Great Axe and Axe capped.

SigmaMan
09-16-2006, 08:18 PM
hmm yeah thanks i think il go with DRK for now and level scythe and great sword with it,thanks a bunch!

No.78
09-16-2006, 08:19 PM
DRK is more enjoyable than warrior I find. :p

EDIT: Woah you posted at the same time as me! >.<

Bahamut2000X
09-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Ah yes. That also helps. WAR is best with Great Axe and Axe, respectively. They have better skill in those then other ones. Plus Great Axe and Axe have some funner weaponskills later level (Rampage comes to mind)

But yeah, also as a WAR subbing NIN is nearly essential as you go up, just due to dual wield, for plenty of added damage using 2 axes. (Dual Viking Axes also looks very nice.) Beyond that /NIN does provide you with shadows so you can tank better, or pull and takel ess damage with. /THF is good also for a bit, especially Sneak Attack + Sturmwind, ends up in some nice damage (even if your Great Axe isn't full capped >.>)

Lionx
09-16-2006, 09:51 PM
On the contary /NIN offers nothing of real bonuses until lvl 50 or at most lvl 48 with Vikings, other than that, its only there for Utsusemi and to negate damage when pulling hate...which doesnt happen often with Axes until Rampage. Dual Wield 1 is a very negligible delay down and if you happen to miss one hit, you gain less TP than if you hit twice single-wielded since delay is recalculated to fit your TP gained.

Only time is /NIN for BCNM type battles or dual tanking WARs.

As a WAR you need multiple subs....for the community's acceptance usually only NIN is enough, even when its clearly not the best. /THF and /MNK(for tanking certain parts) are used when /NIN isnt, and currently even /BLU is being considered(because the DEF is consistant even when subbed for Cocoon and boosts DEF multiplicatively after Protect/Food, and Headbutt/Bludgeon still is effective in general for damage.) as the main tanking subjob choice for being able to damage mitigate, and also deal good damage while tanking.

So as for WAR, the more subjobs you have, the more versitile you become.

DRK usually is less busy...until you get Absorb TP that is. On my own character i have not leveled DRK, however i have played my friend's DRK(lvl 55) in an exp party while at his house and i would juggle all my Absorb Spells, along with Drain/Aspir/Stun, and manage my MP/TP all at the same time while outdoing the SAM in multiple occasions. You also have a tendency to do great damage(517 Power Slash /hump) and bounce hate, so you have to learn when to do your abilities too.

Juggling your abilities and knowing when to cast spells/managing your MP, will make you stronger than most other damage dealers in traditional parties. It is fast paced however, so you have to keep up.

This of course, with the enimity problems, might open different subjob oppurtunities that i like to see about later @@; But current accepted subs are WAR and THF(THF more post 60). And of course you dont tank at all.

As for upkeep, a good WAR will have tanking and offensive gear, a DRK only needs offensive. Since most WARs are lazy and dont want to tank they usually only have offense, so its about the same to me.

SigmaMan
09-17-2006, 03:56 AM
thanks a lot,this is exactly what i need, a busy job class to keep me from falling asleep on my keyboard,just got back from work and will go do the quest right now after some brunch,thanks all.

No.78
09-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Have fun killing 200 mobs with a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif sword

Fuego
09-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Have fun killing 200 mobs with a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif sword
LOL ! The best place is right outside of the gate in South Gustaberg because you have to goto Pashow Marshlands I think to turn it in :D I did the 200 mob part of the quest with a lvl 5 War so it was like "AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I have 199 to go !" :lol:

Mirage
09-17-2006, 10:55 PM
You only need 100 enemies for the quest. You need another 100 to upgrade your Chaosbringer, but that's optional.

Fuego
09-18-2006, 01:12 AM
I did that right after i unlocked the Drk job ... i though it was gonna be a better sword that it is, but oh well you live and you learn :D

and it only took all night :lol:

SigmaMan
09-18-2006, 04:04 AM
so wait is it worth it to upgrade chaos or is it stil a bad sword,cuz i dont wana spend time killin ANOTHER 100 mobs and get a crappy sword.

Fuego
09-18-2006, 04:36 AM
I would buy one on ah ... its an ok sward but IMHO for the time i spent killing and what not its not worth it.

Lionx
09-18-2006, 08:26 AM
To me thats not true, that GSword can last until level 20, a level 5 sword that lasts 15 levels, thats a keeper.

No.78
09-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I threw my one away, then found out it could be upgraded, I swore. Then I was done.

Fuego
09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
That is true lionx but there are better swords that you can buy or synth or even NM hunt for. Yea you can use it for 'X' lvl's more than others but i usually change up my eqipment every 5-10 lvls anyway. (esp since i'm a taru ... i need all the help i can get :tongue: )

Lionx
09-19-2006, 01:26 AM
IMO there is none, check the list, after Deathbringer, its Claymore...which is weak compared to Deathbringer. The only one thats comparable is Burning Claymore at lvl 13, but only around lvl 18 with Braveheart is of any real change in which you wanna switch out. That and its black, its kewl. XP

Bahamut2000X
09-19-2006, 03:59 AM
And if I recall Braveheart gives ACC+ which is unbeatable as a DRK. Especially if your elvaan.

DRK...only job I've ever leveled in dunes with sushi. >.<