PDA

View Full Version : Posting essays and turnitin.com

tan
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
I want to post this essay of mine that I want feedback on, but I'm afraid that if I post it here, turnitin.com (a website that makes sure papers aren't plagiarized by checking the web) will spot it and say that I took it from here when it was my own essay. Will this happen?

Roto13
09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure how the site works, but if your name and stuff are in the copy you post here, then it won't matter, right?

o_O
09-17-2006, 04:39 AM
It will matter. Turnitin monitors a huge database of sites and will look for similarities between what you hand in and what it finds on the interweb. It has nothing to do with the originator of the document.

tan:
I'd advise not to post it here, unless you are sure that your college/school/uni/whatever doesn't use turnitin. If they do then don't post an unencrypted version or something crazy like that. You could attach it as a text file; I don't think turnitin would download and scan every text file it sees, plus, to download attachments here, you need to be a member and I doubt turnitin is a member of Eyes on FF (but don't quote me on that). :p