PDA

View Full Version : Crane Fly

Zeldy
09-16-2006, 10:38 PM
What IS the point of them? Why do they constantly ANNOY us? Why is so many british people afraid of them? (and I am one of those!). There's one in the room, and whenever it comes near me I scream and run out the room.

I see them outside, and can I ask, why don't they fly at the sun?
Whenever they're in a room, they sort of dance around the light, and are attracted to it, so why not the Sun? I bloody wish they would >=[

These little beautys:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/Crane_fly_halteres.jpg/320px-Crane_fly_halteres.jpg
Don't they just fill you with HATE? They make me shudder ;__;

But why do they exist? They don't DO anything, and why do I hate them so ;_____________;

Rye
09-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Omg, those things are crazy looking! But not as hellish as CICADAS. ;__;

Sergeant Hartman
09-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Pull their legs off.

Spiffing Cheese
09-16-2006, 10:57 PM
How on earth do you expect a tiny little bug to fly at the sun? xD

And I HATE THEM. They're the most terrifying thing there ever was ;___;

Roto13
09-16-2006, 11:16 PM
Junebugs. They're big and dumb and will fly up your nose and into your hair and into your everything. Stupid, nasty things.

sephirothishere
09-16-2006, 11:19 PM
These little beautys:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......where........aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh....ther es like millions of them at this time of year....AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Zeldy
09-16-2006, 11:23 PM
These little beautys:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......where........aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh....ther es like millions of them at this time of year....AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

July and August is when we start to see them. Maybe once or twice a week.
But once it hits September ;_____; Its like.. Im seeing them EVERYWHERE.

Hambone
09-16-2006, 11:27 PM
wikipedia says: "Despite their common names, crane flies do not prey on mosquitoes, nor do they bite humans."

They're fun to mess around with. I've never been afraid of them. You don't have a reason to be. Their purpose for excistence is so you can pull off their legs, laugh at them, then step on them.

Zeldy
09-16-2006, 11:29 PM
wikipedia says: "Despite their common names, crane flies do not prey on mosquitoes, nor do they bite humans."

Ive had 3 of them fly at my face, thats enough for me to be afraid of them. Oh god ;__;

sephirothishere
09-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Their purpose for excistence is so you can pull off their legs, laugh at them, then step on them.

thats not cool man.....and i jus get freakked out if thyre big and juicy and theres like 2000of them....otherwise if theyre small and theres only 1 of them...i jus pick it up and throw it away.....

Psychotic
09-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Two of them have flown into my room in the past week or so. Lengthy battles ensued. I was taken to the brink of death, but I somehow I managed to win.

rubah
09-17-2006, 12:34 AM
There's nothing wrong with them! (we call them mayflies ;o) They aren't scary at all.

Junebugs. They're big and dumb and will fly up your nose and into your hair and into your everything. Stupid, nasty things.
This is a june bug!
http://www.knottsislandonline.com/nature/insects/junebug.jpg

If that fits up your nose I would wonder if you picked your nose all day long! :O

Faris
09-17-2006, 12:59 AM
What do they do? Do they bite?

Araciel
09-17-2006, 01:03 AM
all bugs bite...not literally of course...people are usually sqeamish about bugs cause they are small enough to be sneaky and look like aliens....why do you think most aliens in the movies look kinda like bugs?

rubah
09-17-2006, 01:03 AM
I think all they do is die and leave their camo bodies lying everywhere.

Fuego
09-17-2006, 01:28 AM
They don't serve any purpose except to be food for birds and fish .

daggertrepe
09-17-2006, 03:14 AM
I hate regular flies so...this one would top it. :(

YTDN
09-17-2006, 09:15 AM
If a cranefly would fly into a room, we'd all scream and sit there staring at it. Then we'd either get mum or dad to let it out of the window, and then we would lock and bolt all the doors and windows.

If i see one outside on the lawn, I will make it my life's work to step on it.

Rainecloud
09-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Here in England we call them called "Daddy Long Legs". What an awesome name for an insect, eh?

Last week, I had three in my bedroom flying round my light-bulb. I quickly reached for my TV remote and battered them all to death. Spiders don't bother me, but the legs on Daddy Long Legs really give me the willies.

Cz
09-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Daddy Long-Legs don't bother me at all. I'd rather not have them crawling on me, but I'm perfectly content to let one hang around in the room with me.

Levian
09-17-2006, 12:43 PM
We call 'em øyenstikker. Which means eye poker.

Shauna
09-17-2006, 12:49 PM
And I HATE THEM. They're the most terrifying thing there ever was ;___;

I agree. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even find spiders scary in the slightest. Here in Scotland we call them 'Jenny Long Legs' or 'Daddy Long Legs'. :D Who knows why!

Christmas
09-17-2006, 12:50 PM
I sense a lot of HATE in this thread.

PerpetualBurn
09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm fine until they attack me.

Daddy Long Legs are violent and angry insects. One time I got locked in battle with one in my room. I was trying to get some work done and it kept sneaking behind the bookcase or wardrobe and then reappearing to fly at the monitor and piss me off. And then when I batted it away it flew straight for my eyes. Repeatedly.

Eventually, I took it out with an A2 Pure Maths books. All the calculus must've crushed its spirits (and puny exoskeleton).

sephirothishere
09-17-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm fine until they attack me.

yeh if they try to kill me i have to protect myself...otherwise ill jus continue whatever i was doin...i dont mind the ones that are pratically the same only they dont have wings.....

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2006, 02:18 PM
The best way to rid yourself of any creepy crawlies is to crush them up and smoke them.