PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to ask a really stupid question.

Jowy
09-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Why do people bring John 3:16 signs to sporting events? I've been wondering this for years...

Araciel
09-18-2006, 07:28 AM
something to do with some book that millions of people read the world over...think it's called the bubble or biblay or...oh the bible

Leeza
09-18-2006, 07:35 AM
http://experts.about.com/q/Football-Trivia-General-2550/John-3-16.htm#b

<i>Question</i>
Hey, what's the meaning of John 3:16 signs?</i>

<i>Answer
good guestion! that bible verse has been used alot over the years in sports,it's purpose is to keep beliving in your team. john 3:16 says who so ever {belives} in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. so when things are looking tough for your team just keep beliving!!!</i>

eestlinc
09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
because John 3:16 is pretty much the basic premise of Christianity, which is that anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as their savior will enter the kingdom of heaven. how could you not spread that good news at all sporting events?

Aurons_Desciple
09-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Geez you guys know nothing. There use to be a guy that would go to sporting events with a multi coloured afro wig and hold a sign that read "John 3:16". He was seen at NFL, NBA, NHL, Boxing and Horse races. He became a bit of a celebrity. He died quite a while ago (i think in the 90's), now people do at as tribute or just to copy him. Research this if you want, i think you'll find i'm right about this.

edit, ust found an article about him...
The Fame of John 3:16

"John 3:16" may be the most well known of all Bible references. Not only has this verse been memorized by millions of Christians throughout the world, but also the reference has been seen by billions of people who watch sporting events. You know the drill. You're sitting there minding your own business watching the Super Bowl when all of a sudden somebody in the crowd holds up a sign that reads "John 3:16."
It all started years ago when a man named Rollen Stewart came up with a novel idea to get his fifteen minutes of fame. He decided to attend major sporting events wearing an oversized, rainbow-colored wig. At just the right moment, Stewart would jump up in front of a TV camera to be seen by the world. But then, while listening to a television evangelist, he became a Christian. Rather than promoting his rainbow-toped visage, "Rock'n Rollen" Stewart began holding up signs that read "John 3:16." This became his life's calling. He went all around the world with his infamous wig and sign - even appearing in the crowd during the wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Di! When Stewart was arrested some years ago, his loyal followers continued his placard-raising ministry.

Meat Puppet
09-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Wow, all this time I thought John 3:16 was just a customization of “Austin 3:16”. I'm such a dork.

sephirothishere
09-18-2006, 09:44 AM
thats jus more born again christians tryin to spread their religion to me.....i dont frikin want it...capeesh

K. H. Kid
09-19-2006, 03:01 AM
For some reason I thought it was this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-5yQM9kDE)

By the way you're going to have to watch it for like a 30 seconds before it shows what I'm talking about.

rubah
09-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Wow, all this time I thought John 3:16 was just a customization of “Austin 3:16”. I'm such a dork.

Actually I did too when I was little.

Shlup
09-19-2006, 03:29 AM
But is it you believing in your team or your team believing in Jesus?

Either way, that is just... I don't know. Pizza.

-Red XIII-
09-19-2006, 03:34 AM

........ interesting..... :eep:

eestlinc
09-19-2006, 04:19 AM
But is it you believing in your team or your team believing in Jesus?

Either way, that is just... I don't know. Pizza.
Jesus. I don't think there's any way one could construe John 3:16 to refer to anything or anyone other than Jesus.

fire_of_avalon
09-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Freakin' blasphemers.

Araciel
09-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Freakin' blasphemers.

i know, quoting a book that completely contradicts my beliefs like that...4 shame

ValkyrieWing
09-19-2006, 07:44 AM
OI!

It's like how every time a team wins a major sporting event, all the players are like , "I wanna thaink God (except they say it Gawd), fo this oppuhtunity to win today..."

What about the other team? God didn't care about them or something?

And I hope I don't offend anyone with this...

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-19-2006, 10:43 AM

It´s true 3:16 means beer time.