PDA

View Full Version : Father Killed Child over Video Game

Crossblades
09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.nbc10.com/news/9824251/detail.html

PHILADELPHIA -- A 25-year-old North Philadelphia man has been charged with killing his young daughter.

The mother said 17-month-old Alayiah was violently punched by Tyrone Spellman over a video game.

"My baby is gone at the hands of her father," Mia Turman said tearfully. "I have to put her in the ground, I shouldn't have to do this."

As the 21-year-old took a nap inside their row-home on the 1500 block of 29th Street, Turman left Alayiah in the care of Spellman, who also goes by the name Anwar Salahuddin.

Turman said that when she woke, "I asked why my baby not breathing. He says, 'She's breathing.' Her eyes were closed."

Turman phoned police around noon. Medics responded and took Alayiah to Temple University Hospital, where the little girl was pronounced dead at 12:37 p.m.

Police arrested Spellman, who lives on the 1500 block of North 29th Street, over the weekend.

He was charged with murder, endangering the welfare of a child and possessing an instrument of crime.

A medical examiner performed an autopsy on the child.

"His confession was she pulled the cords in the game, the system is -- the box itself -- fell, and he was upset and then responsible for paying for the game, so he hit her in her face twice," Turman said, adding that Spellman also allegedly slung the child over a chair.

Eight-months pregnant with another baby girl, Turman was struggling with how to cope. She said she fell in love with a man who had never been violent before, and she wanted to know what would possess someone to kill a child.

"You can't give me a good enough answer to say why you would kill your baby," Turman said.

The couple's second baby will be born with her dad charged with killing the sister she never met.

"I do not understand this. I will never understand this," Turman said.

NBC 10 reporter Deanna Durante said a note on the door of the North Philadelphia row-home Monday night said not to judge Spellman because he would never hurt a child.

Poor child :(

Polaris
09-18-2006, 03:06 PM
ok i don't understand one thing what has the videogame to do with the crime act?

Crossblades
09-18-2006, 03:11 PM
ok i don't understand one thing what has the videogame to do with the crime act?

"His confession was she pulled the cords in the game, the system is -- the box itself -- fell, and he was upset and then responsible for paying for the game, so he hit her in her face twice," Turman said, adding that Spellman also allegedly slung the child over a chair.

Polaris
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM
:eek: u gotta be kidding me? Can't believe he really make it? OMG! That guy must die...

Twilight Edge
09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Whoa,as violent as I get while playing video games,I don't go berzerk and kill everything in the vincinity.

Usually I just go berzerk and yell at the top of my lungs saying "GET THE **** OUT OF MY ROOM WHILE I'M PLAYING OR JUST SHUT UP AND DON'T WATCH ME PLAYING!!!!GO MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!!"

Something like that,because I get VERY pissed off when someone disturbs me while I'm playing.(this includes my parents)

McLovin'
09-18-2006, 03:29 PM
xD

Old Manus
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Watch in awe as the world (including the Daily Mail) gets up in arms about how videogames turn us into crazed killers.

Christmas
09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
:(

Jojee
09-18-2006, 03:56 PM
What a horrible person >=(

StarChild
09-18-2006, 04:28 PM
killing your daughter over a video game...what the hell...i think we should all punch him in the face.

what a horrible person :mad2: poor little girl :cry:

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
There are screwed up people in this world...

Twilight Edge
09-18-2006, 04:36 PM
So many your eyes will bulge out........

DK
09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
who also goes by the name Anwar Salahuddin.

This part should have been left out, imho.

theundeadhero
09-18-2006, 04:42 PM
The grammer in that report is terrible.

"His confession was she pulled the cords in the game, the system is -- the box itself -- fell, and he was upset and then responsible for paying for the game,That sentence makes no sense at all.

The system is -- the box itself--- fell?? Grammer makes no sense.

he was upset and then responsible for paying for the game?? Why? If the system fell why would he have to pay for a game? Did the tray magically open on the way down and the game get smashed? Did he rent it?

This makes me believe it's a fake news report.

Melkor_
09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
This has nothing to do with videogames

Rainecloud
09-18-2006, 05:00 PM
That's just depressing, and quite unbelievable.

:(

Shaun
09-18-2006, 05:00 PM
That's wrong, really wrong. Being a Psychology student though, I can see there could be other factors that affected the father's judgement. He could be mentally ill to an extreme extent, for all you know, or there may have been many other reasons for why he did it. Nothing justifies those actions though.

sephirothishere
09-18-2006, 05:08 PM
thanks for traumatisin me...post tis kinda /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif in EoEO next time.....

Rainecloud
09-18-2006, 05:09 PM
thanks for traumatisin me...post tis kinda /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif in EoEO next time.....

You did read the thread title before reading the first post in this thread, didn't you? That would have given you enough warning.

:/

Madame Adequate
09-18-2006, 05:23 PM

News reports almost always give other aliases.

And I doubt the veracity of this. As undead said it's pretty horrific grammatically.

sephirothishere
09-18-2006, 05:36 PM
You did read the thread title before reading the first post in this thread, didn't you? That would have given you enough warning.

yeh and i was like wtf...so i did the preview thing....so i had already read the worst of it....damn....im such an idiot...hahahahahahahaha

Melkor_
09-18-2006, 05:58 PM

yeh and i was like wtf...so i did the preview thing....so i had already read the worst of it....damn....im such an idiot...hahahahahahahaha

lol

Rosenti
09-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Stop blameing Games for violence, its ovios that the guy had something wrong with him, either he grew up and somethin bad happend to him, and one day he snapped. Unless everyone who plays violent games, goes around killing, im not convinced that VG are the cause.

Levian
09-18-2006, 06:12 PM
It's probably true, at least the site the story is on looks reliable. I guess it's just a case of bad journalism. The whole article is a little over-dramatized, maybe the journalist should write some fiction instead.

Video Games will always be the black sheep, media blows it up every time it happens. But I guess they may be right. If I'm ever going to snap and kill everyone, it's going to be because they sell buns in packs of 8 and hot dogs in packs of 10 and not because of stupid video games.

Ultima Shadow
09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
There are screwed up people in this world...

bipper
09-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I hope the man gets crushed by a giant xbox; sweet irony. I could not imagine hitting a child - ever. Games stimulate your brain in such away though, that being caught in a certian delusional rage of the moment may cause you to act way outside of your normal persona; there is a psycological term for it, but 4 years outta psycology classes, I don't remmber it. I do blame the game, but only as a factor. The man is responsable for his actions, and unfortunately, I am sure he feels the deepest sadness one could possibly feel.

To kill your own child.. I can't even imagine.

Shiny
09-18-2006, 08:21 PM
What's interesting about this is 5 minutes ago my brother ( a 21 year old) was playing a video-game while ( a 8 month year old ) Aaliyah was crawling around. So this coincidence made me chuckle a bit. I think that's really terrible. Some people take video-gaming way too seriously. Whether he payed alot of money for something as frivolous as a gaming system, or not he still had no right to strike her in the face.

sephirothishere
09-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I hope the man gets crushed by a giant xbox; sweet irony

correction...its that poetic justice thing....i know this cuz /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif always comes back to bite me on the ass....

bipper
09-18-2006, 08:52 PM

correction...its that poetic justice thing....i know this cuz /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif always comes back to bite me on the ass....

hardly poetic justice; xbox does not ever rhyme with anything in the article.

Laugh at face of Danger
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
At least it's not some form of copycat killing that wrecks the gaming market...again.

Though it's pretty sick. Come on, kids pull stuff, he shouldn't have gotten so mad because the lazy git hadn't saved in ages ¬_¬ (i presume the cable came out and the game was switched off). People are evil.

nik0tine
09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Hahahaha.

Unfortunately I don't believe a word of that. If it's true, though, the fact that his name is Tyrone makes this unbelievably funny.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-18-2006, 08:58 PM
The thing that annoys me is that I invision this as the older version of one of my friends. He's ubsest with games and once he was over my house playing tekken and kept on losing to Jinpachi. Being an immature idiot, he started making noises like "rrrRAAAHhh". Like his voice volume went up then down. I told him, "Calm down dude, it's just a game". Not to mention my mom was probably scared because she was in the next room. Don't let games take your lives people. It's stupid and retarded.

scrumpleberry
09-18-2006, 09:03 PM
What a total bastard. :mad2: This is disgusting...to kill your own little girl over a fucking video game? What kind of a screwed up person would do such a thing? :(

Hambone
09-18-2006, 10:12 PM
What a total bastard. :mad2: This is disgusting...to kill your own little girl over a smurfing video game? What kind of a screwed up person would do such a thing? :(
A crazy screwed up person would do such a thing.

scrumpleberry
09-18-2006, 10:15 PM
I guess so. :(

This makes me really, really sad.

Rengori
09-18-2006, 10:27 PM

Poetic justice and irony are the same thing, the only difference is that irony doesn't have to be a punishment.

rubah
09-18-2006, 11:33 PM

News reports almost always give other aliases.

And I doubt the veracity of this. As undead said it's pretty horrific grammatically.

Local news stations, while being pretty bad, aren't that bad.

Markus. D
09-18-2006, 11:40 PM
stupid behavior from our adult generation.

that poor child T-T

Captain Maxx Power
09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
And here's me going to enroll for a Computer Games Design course around the corner from a school where a woman was recently stabbed to death.

Psychotic
09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
What a terrible tragedy. Now, after that 5 second period of acting shocked to make myself seem like a caring person, I think I'll go right back to playing video games and forget all about it.

feona17
09-18-2006, 11:51 PM
That's f-ing disgusting right there. I don't even want to think about it anymore.

Evastio
09-19-2006, 12:05 AM
I can't believe that. :(

Vikeve
09-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Yet another reason to be depressed or thankful my parents aren't that way....

Reles
09-19-2006, 12:52 AM
I wonder what video game he was playing.

Shlup
09-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Stop blameing Games for violence, its ovios that the guy had something wrong with him, either he grew up and somethin bad happend to him, and one day he snapped. Unless everyone who plays violent games, goes around killing, im not convinced that VG are the cause.

No one blamed the video game. He killed the little girl because of what she did to the video game he was playing, and because he's crazy. No one said the video game caused it.

nik0tine
09-19-2006, 01:14 AM
What a total bastard. :mad2: This is disgusting...to kill your own little girl over a smurfing video game? What kind of a screwed up person would do such a thing? :(
A big black guy named Tyrone would do such a thing.

fire_of_avalon
09-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Related and similar articles have also appeared in the Philadelphia Daily News and the Philadelphia Weekly.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/15505658.htm Better grammar, I think.

And I know this is in GC, but please don't make complete jerks out of yourselves just because you're not forced to take this seriously.

Araciel
09-19-2006, 01:38 AM
that sucks poor baby died for no reason just like hundreds others do every day

Madame Adequate
09-19-2006, 02:13 AM
Awright fowwa, that was a more believable article.

I have never got that angry at anything and I'm like a volcano if something winds me up =(

Shiny
09-19-2006, 02:27 AM
Hahahaha.

Unfortunately I don't believe a word of that. If it's true, though, the fact that his name is Tyrone makes this unbelievably funny.
...How is that funny?

Fonzie
09-19-2006, 02:33 AM
This looks like a case for Jack Thompson

-Red XIII-
09-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Watch in awe as the world (including the Daily Mail) gets up in arms about how videogames turn us into crazed killers.

I know, I know... I can see it now:

"Father kills child because he likes Sephiroth. Square is reported to be sued this following thursday." :mad:

Giga Guess
09-19-2006, 04:53 AM

No one blamed the video game. He killed the little girl because of what she did to the video game he was playing, and because he's crazy. No one said the video game caused it.

That said, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone tries to connect the dots, and say the violent tendancies stemmed from the game itself, and not, say, serious anger management issues.

Rengori
09-19-2006, 04:56 AM

That said, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone tries to connect the dots, and say the violent tendancies stemmed from the game itself, and not, say, serious anger management issues.

This looks like a case for Jack Thompson!

ValkyrieWing
09-19-2006, 06:49 AM
There is nothing in this world that makes killing your child acceptable. Leave justice to someone else.

NorthernChaosGod
09-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Wow, just wow. That is wrong and horrible.

vorpal blade
09-19-2006, 09:53 AM
This has been said by previous posts, but I also think that the grammar is too horrible to be a real report. Or at least I hope it's not real. Seriously, 17 months old, hit in the face twice, possibly slung against a chair... unbelievable, unacceptable, and unforgivable.

Madame Adequate
09-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Hahahaha.

...How is that funny?

Because the only thing you can do when you come across someone that completely bat/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif loco insane is laugh, or you'd go crazy yourself out of sheer despair.

Giga Guess
09-19-2006, 01:21 PM

This looks like a case for Jack Thompson!

Precisely.

Twilight Edge
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM
The thing that annoys me is that I invision this as the older version of one of my friends. He's ubsest with games and once he was over my house playing tekken and kept on losing to Jinpachi. Being an immature idiot, he started making noises like "rrrRAAAHhh". Like his voice volume went up then down. I told him, "Calm down dude, it's just a game". Not to mention my mom was probably scared because she was in the next room. Don't let games take your lives people. It's stupid and retarded.

Too bad.You are looking at one now.

What a total bastard. This is disgusting...to kill your own MOM over a smurfing video game? What kind of a screwed up person would do such a thing?

That would be me.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Ooooh. I smell interesting! Go on.

Crossblades
09-19-2006, 10:58 PM
What a total bastard. This is disgusting...to kill your own MOM over a smurfing video game? What kind of a screwed up person would do such a thing?

That would be me.

Please tell me you're joking:eep:

KentaRawr!
09-19-2006, 11:55 PM
He edited child into Mom. This could be seen as a joke, as many people who are in a serious hobby get upset when they are disturbed whilst commencing an activity related to that hobby. And Moms tend to disturb.

Sunny Day Suicide
09-20-2006, 01:26 AM
So. What jack-ass would kill their very first home just to play a game. If it wasn't for your mom, you wouldn't be playing those games.

Twilight Edge
09-20-2006, 02:08 PM

That would be me.

Please tell me you're joking:eep:

Joke-age: 25%
Serious-age: 75%

Nah I don't think so. Apparently I know that I am screwed up already.:eep:

Del Snizz
09-20-2006, 02:27 PM
This never would have happened if the child had been properly caged.

Twilight Edge
09-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Or me locked in the room with nothing but the games.:eep:

Elite Lord Sigma
09-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Wow, that dad must seriously have something wrong in his brain if he killed his infant daughter over a game system.