PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Heavy Metal band?

The Devil Man
09-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey there. Just curious... what kind of Metal music do you guys like listening too? I am sure there are some Metal fans for sure on this Board.

In the Poll above, please pick 3 (if you have 3 favourites). I've tried to make it a fairly broad selection :)

My top 3 bands are: SlipKnot (I absolutely love Joey Jordison. Best drummer in the world for me, no question, although Tool's drummer comes damn close), Sepultra (I love the song 'Convicted in Life') and God Forbid (Which didn't make my main Poll because not enough people know of them (The song 'End of the World' is just damn great!))

What about you guys?

EDIT: It's NOT one of my best Polls, but it's not supposed to be the 'Best 20 Bands of all time' or anything. Those are the bands which get most air-time on UK metal music channels, hence the Poll. So just pick what you like from there and add your own favourites in your post :)

DK
09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Iron Maiden, Dream Theater and...I want to say Ayreon, but they're only slightly metal, so I guess I'll go with Sonata Arctica.

Brian The Pink Shark
09-18-2006, 07:57 PM
make it so i can choose another band twice because you forgot to add Judas Priest and Motorhead who apart from Iron Maiden are the greatest metal bands

Anyone should know who they are before creating a thread like this :choc:

tailz
09-18-2006, 08:00 PM
no tallica :(

i voted bullet for my valentine, nightwish and metallica

Crushed Hope
09-18-2006, 08:07 PM
SlipKnot
Tool
Bullet For My Valentine
Soil
Stone Sour
MurderDolls
Wednesday 13
KORN

The above bands are not metal. Fear Factory used to be, but are no longer.

Best metal band is a toss up between Agalloch and Pain of Salvation.

Novaris
09-18-2006, 08:08 PM
this list sucks, out of the entire thing only 3 bands are what I would consider "heavy metal" no Rainbow, Dokken, Anthrax. Metallica would make the list too but they're in the fast part of heavy metal as is Anthrax. I don't have anything personal against Devil Man but this poll sucks.

chrs229
09-18-2006, 08:09 PM
i voted for the ones i listen to the most which happens to be Trivium, Korn, and Metallica

The Devil Man
09-18-2006, 08:16 PM
this list sucks, out of the entire thing only 3 bands are what I would consider "heavy metal" no Rainbow, Dokken, Anthrax. Metallica would make the list too but they're in the fast part of heavy metal as is Anthrax. I don't have anything personal against Devil Man but this poll sucks.

if you don't like it, don't post in it! no ones forcing you to vote!

god, never get people talking about music. always a bad idea! this isn't supposed to be sent to Rolling Stone magazine to help them decide what the greatest bands of all time are! it's just a Poll based on music that gets the most air time in the UK's music video channels. AND there's only 20 options, not 30, not 40, not 50, not a 100. Thats why the last one is 'other'.

I regret ever starting this one now. If any of the Mod's are reading this, just lock it up.

sephirothishere
09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Freak kitchen
Pantera
Dream theater.....

Venom
09-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Megadeth and WASP are my favorite bands of all time.

Araciel
09-19-2006, 01:40 AM
i wouldn't call tool heavy metal but they get my vote anyway

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-19-2006, 03:01 AM
i wouldn't call tool heavy metal but they get my vote anyway

And Metallica, the bottom option.

Black Mage FF1
09-19-2006, 03:02 AM
If I had to pick from this list I would pick Bullet For My Valentine and Trivium (old, none of that metallica wannabe crap on their new cd)

But my top 3 that are not listed are

As Blood Runs Black
Haste The Day
Demon Hunter

Avarice-ness
09-19-2006, 03:17 AM
I went with Iron Maiden... naturally.. but since Arch Enemy was on the list I picked them too..

If I chose my own, it'd be Iron Maiden, Opeth, and Lamb of God. I do love Arch Enemy but not as high as my personal fav. three. :)

Mythra
09-19-2006, 03:50 AM
Out of the list I chose Iron Maiden, Trivium, and Tool. Although I don't really consider Tool metal, their older stuff maybe, but not Lateralus and 10,000 Days. If I could pick it my own, it would have to be Opeth, Metallica (old metallica ftw), Trivium, Children Of Bodom (can't believe they weren't on the list), Avenged Sevenfold, Killswitch Engage, Protest the Hero.

jrgen
09-19-2006, 07:55 AM
The idea of adding a poll in a "what's your favourite band" thread isn't very good.

ValkyrieWing
09-19-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm liking Stone Sour, for some reason... :P

NorthernChaosGod
09-19-2006, 09:18 AM
From the list, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden.

Choosing my own, Kalmah, Cannibal Corpse, Pantera.

Novaris
09-19-2006, 12:23 PM

if you don't like it, don't post in it! no ones forcing you to vote!

god, never get people talking about music. always a bad idea! this isn't supposed to be sent to Rolling Stone magazine to help them decide what the greatest bands of all time are! it's just a Poll based on music that gets the most air time in the UK's music video channels. AND there's only 20 options, not 30, not 40, not 50, not a 100. Thats why the last one is 'other'.

I regret ever starting this one now. If any of the Mod's are reading this, just lock it up.

........ the amount of jokes I could make out of that is substantial but they are not for this thread. I'll write them down for later usage.
My point is only 3/20 of those bands are heavy metal bands, that's why the poll sucks, as Jrgen stated, it's a lame idea, very lame I would say, to add a poll in a band thread. If you're going to bitch at me at least know my point first, once you know the point you can bitch all you like, even get some whips and chains if you please.

I Am Stoner
09-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Trivium,
Killswitch Engage,
God Forbid,
Lamb Of God,
Pantera,
Disturbed.

Bunny
09-19-2006, 01:34 PM

I wouldn't really call Pain of Salvation "heavy" metal, as I have never heard anything particularly heavy about any of their music. I think generally they are found to be labeled as progressive metal. But I've never been too great at sticking things into genres.

jrgen
09-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Heavy metal is probably the least heavy form of metal.

Rosenti
09-19-2006, 03:44 PM
hmm, im not much for heavy metal, unless it has some meaning to it.. Somehow screaming random words into a microphone doesn't impress me..

Brian The Pink Shark
09-19-2006, 03:46 PM
thats really not what Heavy Metal is, when have you ever heard Ozzy Osbourne screamin random words :choc:

Rosenti
09-19-2006, 03:55 PM
thats really not what Heavy Metal is, when have you ever heard Ozzy Osbourne screamin random words :choc:

oh sorry, i think ozzy rules.. But isn't it Metal where they just scream in microphone, ive heard so much.. Thought that was heavy metal, my mistake. I apologize :)

The Devil Man
09-19-2006, 03:57 PM
[quote=Novaris;1897125]........ the amount of jokes I could make out of that is substantial but they are not for this thread. I'll write them down for later usage.
My point is only 3/20 of those bands are heavy metal bands, that's why the poll sucks, as Jrgen stated, it's a lame idea, very lame I would say, to add a poll in a band thread. If you're going to bitch at me at least know my point first, once you know the point you can bitch all you like, even get some whips and chains if you please.

The difference between you ang jrgen, and Brian the Pink Shark for that matter, is that they both uses a much more politer way of pointing it out. They aren't really juvenile enough to act like a child and say, 'ooooh, this poll sucks! it's lame, etc...' I take on their point that the Poll wasn't brilliantly planned out but as I said earlier, it's just a list of all the current metal bands that recieve heavy rotation on music channels in the UK (Scuzz). I don't really take on your criticism.

And thats mainly because I don't care for some ignorant, potentially trolling and flaming comments. I also checked out your profile and there were a couple of wierd things there. Like the fact you've been a member here for only a couple of days and are trying to get into some slanging match.

But even wierder then that are your Usernotes. You've posted 120 user notes to yourself all at one time. The only way to actually do that is by going through a Proxy IP to access this Forum. I take it your either an Alt or, more then likely, a banned member trying to sneak your way back in by hiding your IP.

Anyone else... apologies for the slight mess of a Poll, but please do keep listing your favourite Metal Bands :) I can take some recommendations from here, so thanks!

jrgen
09-19-2006, 04:05 PM
oh sorry, i think ozzy rules.. But isn't it Metal where they just scream in microphone, ive heard so much.. Thought that was heavy metal, my mistake. I apologize :)
No, heavy metal bands often use instrumentation aswell.

To actually contribute to the thread, I'll list some of my favourite metal bands aswell. (judging by the list of bands provided in the poll, I assume any form of metal is accepted)

In no order whatsoever:
(these are some of the bands I listen to the most at this moment, but my preferences change constantly)

Edge of Sanity/Dan Swanö | Progressive death metal, experimental death metal (I list both simultaneously as Dan's solo album was quite similar to EoS' Crimson II, which was also pretty much a solo project of Dan's. Try this if you think you'd enjoy an Opeth with a bit more focus on the death metal aspect.)

Deranged | Brutal death metal (Plainfield Cemetary is possibly the most brutal album ever created.)

Diabolical Masquerade | Avantgarde/symphonic/progressive black metal (A project of Blakkheim and Dan Swanö. My favourite Swedish black metal band.)

Dornenreich | Symphonic black metal/black metal influenced experimental music (Simply brilliant music.)

Haggard | Symphonic metal (a very big band, which I believe currently consists of 18 members. They effectively mix classical music, folk music and death metal in a very impressive manner. It could be argued whether this is a metal band, as the classical aspect of their (Asis') music is a lot more focused on than the metal aspect.)

Månegarm | viking metal/scandinavian folk metal (Vredens Tid is IMO the best album that incorporates a lot of Scandinavian folk music into their songs.)

Orphaned Land | Doom-death metal/progressive death metal/Semitic (Arabic+Hebrew) folk music (My favourite Israeli band. Mabool is a really monumental album.)

Therion | Symphonic/operatic metal (currently) and death metal (early) (Probably my favourite Swedish band. Like Haggard, they incorporate classical music, but they use session musicians instead of permanent band members and there's more focus on the operatic vocal arrangements than classical instrumentation.)

Visceral Bleeding | Brutal death metal (They have two extremely good albums out and a new one coming this year. Unfortunately their former singer is now exclusively singing in Spawn of Possession, which is another great band from Kalmar, and it will be hard for the new guy to fill his shoes.)

There are so many great bands that I'd like to recommend, but as there is a very low interest in this kind of music here, these recommendations are rather useless, so I'll keep stop here.

Novaris
09-19-2006, 05:04 PM
[quote=Novaris;1897125]........ the amount of jokes I could make out of that is substantial but they are not for this thread. I'll write them down for later usage.

The difference between you ang jrgen, and Brian the Pink Shark for that matter, is that they both uses a much more politer way of pointing it out. They aren't really juvenile enough to act like a child and say, 'ooooh, this poll sucks! it's lame, etc...' I take on their point that the Poll wasn't brilliantly planned out but as I said earlier, it's just a list of all the current metal bands that recieve heavy rotation on music channels in the UK (Scuzz). I don't really take on your criticism.

And thats mainly because I don't care for some ignorant, potentially trolling and flaming comments. I also checked out your profile and there were a couple of wierd things there. Like the fact you've been a member here for only a couple of days and are trying to get into some slanging match.

But even wierder then that are your Usernotes. You've posted 120 user notes to yourself all at one time. The only way to actually do that is by going through a Proxy IP to access this Forum. I take it your either an Alt or, more then likely, a banned member trying to sneak your way back in by hiding your IP.

Anyone else... apologies for the slight mess of a Poll, but please do keep listing your favourite Metal Bands :) I can take some recommendations from here, so thanks!

I got some faulty scripts (I made) installed on my browser but I did do that all myself, each usernote by keep clicking send after the load bar goes halfway, it resends the signal and duplicates the usernote, it was unintentional to go that far though. This isn't the usernotes or whatever thread. Try the trick out for yourself, if you can click as fast as me you can easily do it yourself. I made a single usernote after that too, so your asumption is out the window. You call what I said trolling and flaming? Wel I'm just saying that the poll sucks because barely any of the bands in it are heavy metal and you're going emotional because of that. Alot of the bands are in other sub genres of metal such as new metal or death metal. You know for next time not to involve a poll, and if you read my first post I said I don't have anything personal against you, I do in fact have something against the poll, do you expect me to flame the poll? It's it's fault it's deranged. Now back to discussing favourite heavy metal bands we should go. I am not going to start. If you're geeting pissed off at me then sorry.

RoxasLeonhart
09-19-2006, 05:26 PM
I really like overkill and anrtraxx and slipknotand korn

Crushed Hope
09-19-2006, 08:25 PM

I wouldn't really call Pain of Salvation "heavy" metal, as I have never heard anything particularly heavy about any of their music. I think generally they are found to be labeled as progressive metal. But I've never been too great at sticking things into genres.

Well they surely are not "heavy" metal, I hate that term because it causes confusion and instead prefer to call bands like Iron Maiden "Traditional Metal" because it works, and people know what I mean at the same time.

PoS is indeed prog metal.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-19-2006, 11:40 PM
God I hate heavy metal! Some of the early 70s stuff wasn't too bad.

Now it's just screaming and repetitive schreeching guitar riffs. Absolute cheese.

Prog metal, on the other hand, can be quite interesting. (http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=19)

Have a listen. There are some free streaming examples, scroll down a bit.

Captain Maxx Power
09-20-2006, 12:14 AM
You have Berzerker, Wednesday 13 and Murderdolls, yet to blatantly leave out Machine Head? Are you completely mad?

By the way Machine Head rule.

The Devil Man
09-20-2006, 12:32 AM
You have Berzerker, Wednesday 13 and Murderdolls, yet to blatantly leave out Machine Head? Are you completely mad?

By the way Machine Head rule.

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Please read my first Post!

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Moon Rabbits
09-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, and other :)

Although, if I'm listening to hard music, I like it harder than metal (hard trance for the win, kthnx).

NINJA_Ryu
09-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Avenge Sevenfold count? Or Aiden, Atreyu?

Venom
09-20-2006, 01:42 AM
Avenge Sevenfold count? Or Aiden, Atreyu?

I think A7X count. I have never heard of the other two.

Bloodline666
09-20-2006, 02:51 AM
There are a lot of kick-ass metal bands that are better than some on the current list that didn't even make the list; such as Anthrax, Slayer, and Testament.

I just picked my top three faves on the current list, though.

sephirothishere
09-20-2006, 02:00 PM
avenge sevenfold are pretty good...i forgot about them...

roxy
09-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Im a girl an even I know the difference.

Heavy metal is traditional metal from 1970s to 1980s.
Heavy metal is formed from slight punk roots, rock and roll, blues and jazz and even psychedelic music.
The closest thing to 'real heavy metal' these days (excluding old HM bands that are still around) in powermetal.
Its sad to think the lyrics to the songs were based from mythical storys, life, sex-drugs-and-rock n roll and love... To slaughtering, raping women and hate.
Traditional heavy metal bands wern't even satanic, the most 'satanic songs' were based from movies or nightmares, the bands made fun of themselves by acting like satanic people. The band these days take the fake label really seriously.

I only really like:

Black Sabbath
Rainbow
Def Leppard
White snake
iron maiden
(early) judas priest
blue oyster cult

etc

Tis my 2 cents, I don't care if you think I am an idiot... but you know that I am right.

Brian The Pink Shark
09-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Roxy makes some very good points, a lot of metal these days has become the steriotypical image that people placed on it during the 70s and 80s :choc:

roxy
09-22-2006, 10:30 AM
Hehehe.

Sorta offtopic but:
I don't listen to modern music altogether, its very uninspired.
Notice how all of the 60s,70s,80s rockish bands all sound different?
Now, name more than 2 bands that make music like they used to.

Polaris
09-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Moonspell!

Reine
09-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Metallica, Megadeth, WASP, Slayer and Lordi are my fav metal bands. Most of those options ive never heard of

Brian The Pink Shark
09-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Hehehe.

Sorta offtopic but:
I don't listen to modern music altogether, its very uninspired.
Notice how all of the 60s,70s,80s rockish bands all sound different?
Now, name more than 2 bands that make music like they used to.

i think im in love :p :choc:

Bloodline666
09-22-2006, 08:36 PM
My favorite form of metal happens to be thrash, but I listen to all kinds of metal. I used to listen to nu-Metal, until I realized just how corny it was. The only 80s "hair metal" band I ever really liked was Motley Crue, and I outgrew that, as well. I listen to a little bit of Black Metal, and a bit of Death Metal, but I don't like those two as much as I like thrash.

My top favorite metal bands are as follows (and it's a LONG list):
Slayer
Anthrax
Testament
Pantera
Megadeth
Shadows Fall
Lamb Of God
Children Of Bodom
Overkill
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Killswitch Engage
3 Inches Of Blood
Iced Earth
As I Lay Dying
Hatebreed
GWAR
God Forbid
Black Sabbath
Strapping Young Lad
Chimaira
In Flames
Arch Enemy
Black Label Society
Darkest Hour
Bleeding Through
Six Feet Under
Skid Row
Slipknot
Soulfly
Sepultura
King Diamond
Mercyful Fate
Sinai Beach
Annihilator
Demon Hunter
White Zombie
Kreator
Exodus
Metallica (only the 80s stuff; I detest everything from the Black Album, onward)
Suicidal Tendencies
Cradle Of Filth
Trivium
Mastodon
Ministry
Voivod (RIP Piggy :()
Nuclear Assault
Full Blown Chaos
And...do you people think Spinal Tap belongs on the list?

roxy
09-22-2006, 11:33 PM
They were kinda a spoof band though, I think it counts though.