PDA

View Full Version : Infidelity.

The Devil Man
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
If a girl or a guy cheated on you would you forgive them and continue with the relationship?

I don't know how many people here have ever been in that situation (and if it's a very personal question then I apologise and hope you do not get offended by anything that is written). I was just wondering because of some newspaper articles I read this morning about divorce rates being on the rise in the UK and how infidelity is cited as the main factor.

I was just wondering what people here would do if it happened to them. Would you be able to forgive them or not? It's not such a black and white issue in my opinion. If I'd been with someone for just a couple of weeks or months and they cheated on me, then, yeah, I would perhaps break up with them. It could be a sign of bad times ahead.

But if I was with the person for a long time, like many months or years, then I think I would forgive them and try and repair the relationship. If it was partly my fault for the person cheating on me (ie, if I was neglecting her in some way) or if it was a one-off mistake, like a one-night stand, and my girlfriend/wife deeply regretted what had happened, then I would forgive them and try and continue and improve the relationship. I wouldn't want to waste all the good months and years I'd spent with someone because of a bad period in a relationship. I think it's too easy to give up on relationships these days because of mistakes and it's better to try and improve something that was once special.

What are peoples opinions on this?

*By the way, i know i said i didn't wanna continue making Polls and Threads... but because a few people PM'd me and sent usernotes i realised this place has some seriously sweet people! Especially 'the monkey' :) You're special! So i'll carry on*

Rye
09-19-2006, 11:48 AM
I honestly don't know. The stronger part of me would probably want to break it off, because I think cheating is one of the most horrible things you can do to a person and it kills the trust, but the weaker part of me would want to forgive them to try to make things like they were before.. It depends on what it was, really.

Polaris
09-19-2006, 12:24 PM
I'd forgive everything if I really love the guy, if not I wouldn't and I would revenge! ;)

Ryth
09-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I think I'd keep the relationship going if she told me and asked for forgiveness, I think that shows she's sorry. That'd be her last chance though, and if I figured it out from someone else, we'd break up. I guess how long she'd been doing it would matter too, but honestly I don't think I really know when it comes to this situation. It's not something I like to think about.

Anaisa
09-19-2006, 01:17 PM
I would die of sadness. :whimper: But before that, I would brutally torture them. :mad2: By the time I'd finished, they wouldn't be capable of getting woman, man, nor beast, to have relations with them. So no, I wouldn't forgive them.

Rainecloud
09-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Absolutely not.

If my girlfriend cheated on me, there's no way I'd be able to continue the relationship, as I couldn't cope with living the rest of my life in fear of her doing it again. Trust is an integral part of a relationship, and if an affair takes place, trust is lost forever.

bipper
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
been there done that.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
No sane woman would turn me over some second rate playboy!

Bunny
09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
There is absolutely no room for infidelity in a relationship. If my girlfriend cheated on me, even if it was one time, I would not stay with her. Regardless of how much I love the other person, the trust that I need to have in a person to actually pursue a relationship with them would be shattered and there would be no chance of it ever being regained. There is, and never will be, any reason to cheat on someone you are with.

If the scenario was that she was drinking too much and "accidently" slept with another guy, it would make no difference to me. While it may sound harsh, she put herself in the position for such a thing to happen and I would not be forgiven regardless.

fire_of_avalon
09-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I honestly don't know. The stronger part of me would probably want to break it off, because I think cheating is one of the most horrible things you can do to a person and it kills the trust, but the weaker part of me would want to forgive them to try to make things like they were before.. It depends on what it was, really.

Yep. But I normally listen to the stronger part and kick ass.

Resha
09-19-2006, 03:49 PM
No. No way. Hell no :D Infidelity makes me mad. Anna Karenina makes me mad.

Meat Puppet
09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
If a girl wanted to bang another guy, that's fine. I just wish she would tell me, so I could let her go. That way we might just be able to stay buddies.

Cheating makes me sick. The secrecy, lies and other putrid behaviour related to cheating. I wouldn't forgive someone who cheated on me. They must take me for a fool. And I probably would be fooled for a while, too. But I would be fooling myself. I would know what was going on. No doubt I would try to hide from it; try to convince myself that I am being paranoid, and everything that seems off is just coincidence. It would eventually swell, however, into a giant ball of pus not even I could ignore; confrontation on the matter inevitable.

I wouldn't be violent. Being cheated on would make me feel low enough—I wouldn't need looking like some ruthless redneck on The Jerry Springer Show to make me worse. No, I would spring it out on her one day; hurl it from my gut as if the whole ordeal was a poison I had swallowed. It would be a question. No way do I have enough faith in my instincts to outright accuse her of something. Should she say no? I don't know. That's a whole other problem. Yes, on the other hand, is simple. She would be out of my life. Him, too. He would probably be a friend, because that's the way things seem to go. I would do everything in my power to never talk to them again.

If either of them tried to patch things up, I would ignore them. Sure, I would flirt with the idea of forgiving them once or twice. An idea easy to trash, though. I guess I'm just unfairly stubborn about some things. Being lied to and cheated on likes this by my friends is one of these things.

How would I deal with a one-off cheat? I don't know. I guess if it didn't snowball into the kind of long-term cheat mentioned before then I would never notice it. Unless I was told about it, which could.. I don't know. It's complicated. I suppose it would be better to wait and see with this one.

Gah.

:)

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
I highly doubt it. The "what if it happens again?" would be too large in my mind for me to ever trust the person again.

Jebus
09-19-2006, 04:25 PM
I couldn't not forgive them. I have pretty much no interest in sex myself, so I can completely see why they'd do it.

The only problem I have with it is the lying and stuff.

Twilight Edge
09-19-2006, 04:33 PM
I will forgive them.Always give people a second chance for pete's sake,A SECOND CHANCE!!

McLovin'
09-19-2006, 05:15 PM
You didn't put the animal/plant option in the question. :(

Roto13
09-19-2006, 05:22 PM
I refuse to associate with people who cheat on other people. Actually, I refuse to associate with people who are the people that people cheat on other people with.

*explodes*

So no, someone like that isn't good enough for me.

bipper
09-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I refuse to associate with people who cheat on other people. Actually, I refuse to associate with people who are the people that people cheat on other people with.

*explodes*

So no, someone like that isn't good enough for me.

I bet you use a gameshark when no one is looking :eek:

Levian
09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Nope! If you turn down the LevLove, there's no turning back. Out of my life, woman.

Simple as that.

Dell
09-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I definitely forgive my girlfriend but I don't think we can become lovers anymore, just friends.

XandrewX
09-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I really don't know...but if that happens...which it wont because i'm never gonna get a gf...back to the topic...if that happens...I'll be beside her forever...of course as a good friend that is...:eep:

Owen Macwere
09-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't think I'd forgive them unless they apologise. This is my new opinion, if I was asked this few months ago I'd have said that I'd forgive them even without apologising.
Now things are different and I think I got tougher and solid, I wont forgive without apologising any more. It doesn't worth it.
From what I have seen in life, it is not easy to go on after someone has cheated on you, or have neglected the friendship between me and him/her. Still it all depends on how we live and what we go through.
Few months ago I'd say, I'll forgive. Now I wont.

Peegee
09-19-2006, 06:11 PM
I can understand why she would do it. I can even understand why she did it.

What I can't understand is why she'd disrespect me on that level. And rather ponder this and distrust her for all time, I would sooner dump her and avoid thinking about this ever again.

sephirothishere
09-19-2006, 09:17 PM
if it happens to me id be all in her face and like.... "you filthy skanky whorebag....."

Miriel
09-19-2006, 09:25 PM
But if I was with the person for a long time, like many months or years, then I think I would forgive them and try and repair the relationship. If it was partly my fault for the person cheating on me (ie, if I was neglecting her in some way) or if it was a one-off mistake, like a one-night stand, and my girlfriend/wife deeply regretted what had happened, then I would forgive them and try and continue and improve the relationship. I wouldn't want to waste all the good months and years I'd spent with someone because of a bad period in a relationship. I think it's too easy to give up on relationships these days because of mistakes and it's better to try and improve something that was once special.

Er... see I don't understand that. AT ALL. I think that forgiving someone for cheating early on in the relationship, before feelings get too involved and such is much more understandable and reasonable than forgiving someone for cheating after you've been together for awhile.

Seriously, it's so much more of a betrayal to cheat on someone you're in a established relationship with rather than cheating on someone you've gone on a few dates with. Let's say you did have something amazing and special, the person who cheated on you just threw all that away. It's such a huge action of disrespect, such a huge betrayal of trust.

In whatever case, cheating is unacceptable and I'd break it off if I were ever cheated on.

Cause I'm awesome and I deserve better than that. :)

Venom
09-19-2006, 09:28 PM
It depends on the situation for me to forgive something like infidelity.

Dreddz
09-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd hit them with a stick :twak: that'll teach them.

Roto13
09-19-2006, 09:32 PM
INFIDELS!

*ululates*

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
09-19-2006, 10:11 PM
If you lot had super sperm then they wouldn´t have left you!!!!!!!!!!

Tavrobel
09-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Depends on how far along the relationship has been, or the nature of the relationship.

My_car_is_faster_than_you
09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, what I would do is this. I would tell them "If you cheat, that's the end. I'm telling you in advance." I'd also expect the same from them. Then if they cheated, it's over.

NorthernChaosGod
09-19-2006, 11:33 PM
I say yes, but only if I really cared for the person enough and the cheating wasn't that bad, as in there wasn't any form of sex involved. But that's it, again and it's over.

Araciel
09-19-2006, 11:34 PM
never been in a position to be cheated on...so i have no idea

~SapphireStar~
09-19-2006, 11:38 PM
I would end the relationship. However in my last relationship, I did something with my ex and told him and he told me how some girl who fancied him kissed him, but he said he stopped it from going further. That was 7 months in and we forgave each other. But if it happened further into the relatioship, there would be no forgiveness. Im not the most confident person in the world and it would beyond hurt me if my guy did that to me.

K. H. Kid
09-19-2006, 11:47 PM
This would basically happen to me if someone cheated on me (http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2181).

Of course I have to have someone in oder for someone to cheat on me but still.

kikimm
09-20-2006, 12:01 AM

Yeah, I think I'd be the same. It's so hard to know what I'd be like in that sort of a situation, though. Although it does depend on how they cheated - if it was some long-term thing, the relationship would be over. One night stand sort of thing....ack. I would probably want to forgive but the whole probably not being able to trust them ever again, and being hurt like that might make it too terrible to continue.

Hmm!

SammieBabe
09-20-2006, 12:07 AM
If it were my husband, I would want to try to to heal the relationship, but I think I'm too jealous to actually deal with it. If his cheating didn't make me leave him, my 'boil the bunny' jealousy would make him leave me.
But then again, he doesn't have the cojones to cheat on me. And I am too lazy to try to cover up another relationship...

fantasyjunkie
09-20-2006, 07:30 AM
To me sex is just not big a deal. It depends on WHY my partner cheated.

Miriel
09-20-2006, 07:34 AM
To me sex is just not big a deal. It depends on WHY my partner cheated.

Yeah. I think that cuddling and holding hands would hurt me even more than just sex.

Yamaneko
09-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Jeez guys, this isn't EoEO. Where are all the comments about threesomes and such? I'm so disappointed right now.

Miriel
09-20-2006, 08:36 AM
I already posted about threesomes in the other sex thread. :p

Loony BoB
09-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Having sex with someone else = instant breakup material.

For less than sex, I used to let it go if the girlfriend regretted it and came clean fast, but these days I'm a lot less tolerant and would be much more likely to dump them. Still, not 100% sure. Depends on the circumstances.

sephirothishere
09-20-2006, 01:01 PM
already posted about threesomes in the other sex thread.

threesomes and other sexfests dont count as cheatin if theyre ther aswel participatin or wathcin or whatvere......

Polaris
09-20-2006, 01:07 PM
I say yes, but only if I really cared for the person enough and the cheating wasn't that bad

cheating just for kisses, but even if there was sex involved I'd forgive him but I think I'd break up with him! That would mean that he wasn't patient AND didn't respect me!

Giga Guess
09-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Dunno...one part of me would still want to make it work...the other would be so hurt, I'd say something irreconciliable.

Mum
09-21-2006, 02:19 AM
Infidelity doesn't work. I know.

Open arrangements can be agreed on, but they tend to hurt more than benefit. Cheating is a no-no in any relationship. Honesty is everything.

I agree that the length of the relationship is a factor: shorter= dump them as an unfaithful waste of your time; longer= more worthwhile healing the relationship. Sometimes circumstances also come into it.

I also agree that as one gets older, one tends to be less tolerant of infidelity.

Recommendation: don't do it.

sephirothishere
09-21-2006, 01:45 PM
if the chick had a child i didnt know about from a previous encounter....(i know is not cheatin but.....) i wud be outta there.....kids piss me off.......

Ender
09-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I've been cheated on and it made me lose just enough trust that it changed the dynamics of our relationship, especially when we were apart from eachother.

I've cheated, unintentially destroying relationships and hurting people I deeply cared about enough to make me not ever want to do it again.

I've now adopted a zero-tolerance, one-strike-and-you're-out policy with regards to cheating. Why should I tolerate the cheating by my partner when I no longer tolerate it from myself?

Peegee
09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Jeez guys, this isn't EoEO. Where are all the comments about threesomes and such? I'm so disappointed right now.

If my gf cheated on me with another girl. OMG I would so ttly have a 3some ^_^_^_^

Jess
09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
If my boyfriend cheated on me I'd probably try to forgive him, but I'd find it really difficult.

Craig
09-21-2006, 07:50 PM
I picked yes.

I would really hate to forgive someone for cheating, and I couldn't imagine being around them if they had done so. Plus I think if a person has weak enough will power that they do cheat, then that won't change, and it's only a matter of time before the chance arrises again and they take it.

However, I love my current girlfriend too much and I wouldn't want to lose her.

But if it happened more than once I'd have to end it.