PDA

View Full Version : How much do clothing/fashion trends affect you?

Vincent, Thunder God
09-19-2006, 10:27 PM
This is a poll that asks how much you pay attention to current "in" clothing styles and how much you will pay for a label. There are specific poll options for men and women.

I hate trends myself. I go out of my way to pick something no one else is likely to wear, but what looks good, so I voted Option 2.

I also avoid any clothes with self-advertising on it. I hate nothing more than shirts with nothing but logos.

I Took the Red Pill
09-19-2006, 10:28 PM
I wear what looks good. If the popular thing is "Scene" or "Stereotypical Emo Kid" right now, then no I do not follow anything of that kind.

Decessus
09-19-2006, 10:29 PM
I wear a plastic bag to school.

Tavrobel
09-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Where's the option for "I don't spend anything on clothes, and they are just fine"? Either way, I wouldn't spend that much money on a label. I could just as easily find the same exact shirt (or incredibly similar), buy it for three dollars (not from fences and the black market, mind you), and no one would ever know.

The shirt itself is fifty cents in worth at most.

The tag that comes with it costs three cents, yet generates ALL of the income.

Jebus
09-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Where's the option for "I wear what's comfortable?"

What do I care what's popular these days? It's not like if I wear big name clothing, suddenly people I never met before will wanna be my friends, so there's no reason to wear stuff like that.

I wear what's comfortable, which is also usually dirt cheap, or what *I* think looks good on me. However I seem to have no sense of aesthetics. Oh well.

Kuroshima
09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
None of the above I don't xcare for fashion or trends I just throw on whatver I can find.

Xander
09-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I just wear what I think is cute! Normally I go in shops and it all looks like crap (so then I just buy stuff from threadless =P) At the moment I like my swedish "I'm From Barcelona" shirt whooo. I like how I don't see anyone wearing what I wear, well my shirts anyway.

Maybe skater trends effect me a little because I like some of that sort of style, but umm I just wear what I like and is colourful and cute and fun really. ^^

sephirothishere
im a cool dude so i dont follow any trends i jus look cool all the time.....i dont have any money and i dont have any clothes so there...definitly dont follow anything....im a dude that doesnt like bein told what to do...

K. H. Kid
Where's an option for "Who cares what everyone else is wearing"? But anyway clothes don't make the person wearing them. Labels now are just passing fads that won't be remembered in 2 months anyway so what's the point of buying expensive stuff that you're not even going to wear? One of my friends even has 30 pairs of shoes when I only ever seen him were 2 pairs. This is such a massive amount of money being wasted that could go to better things. Sometimes I wish I didn't even live in America which is one of the biggest fad following countries.

Ryth
09-19-2006, 11:46 PM
I hear about it in school, it normally becomes another thing to annoy me. I like what I like, not what celebrities like, though it's not impossible for me to like what's in the mainstream.

I also spend nothing on clothes and 90% of my limited wardrobe are hand-me-downs.

kikimm
09-19-2006, 11:52 PM
I'll wear, obviously, whatever I think is good. If it happens to be what's "in" at the moment, so what? So be it. Everyone always acts like following trends is a terrible thing. I don't really get that. And even when I do buy trendy stuff, I don't go broke cause I am smart smart smart. But I dunno where you guys are shopping to get clothes that cost like 3 dollars xD

Cz
09-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I buy the coolest clothes that I can get for a reasonable price; because I happen to like the current trends, and so will dress in what is fashionable even if it doesn't make me particularly individual. Plus, vintage T-Shirts are about £5 if you know where to look, so they're cool and cheap.

Araciel
09-19-2006, 11:57 PM
i wear clothes that look good....i barely have anything with a label or writing on it.

Rye
09-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I'll wear, obviously, whatever I think is good. If it happens to be what's "in" at the moment, so what? So be it. Everyone always acts like following trends is a terrible thing. I don't really get that. And even when I do buy trendy stuff, I don't go broke cause I am smart smart smart. But I dunno where you guys are shopping to get clothes that cost like 3 dollars xD

Exactly. xD I buy stuff I like, regardless if its trendy or not. For example, I think striped stuff is trendy lately or something, but I've adored stripes before then, and I still do. :jess:

Anaisa
09-20-2006, 01:16 AM
I only buy what I like. I don't just suddenly like something because it's in fashion. Or rather pretend to like something because it's in fashion, like most followers of fashion do. If there is anything that I own that happens to be in fashion, I prefer not to wear it until it's gone out of fashion, because I don't want to look like I'm just wearing it for that reason, like all the squares. An I certainly don't waste money on overpriced clothing.

NorthernChaosGod
09-20-2006, 04:10 AM
I wear what I like, jeans, t-shirts, cargo shorts.

fire_of_avalon
09-20-2006, 04:30 AM
I wear things that look nice on me.

Christmas
09-20-2006, 04:38 AM
: Zomg I look terrible! *Shrieks*

Shlup
09-20-2006, 04:45 AM
It affects what's available for me to purchase. For example, when low rise jeans became the fashion it was difficult to find non-low-rise jeans so I bought some. Now I'm used to them and prefer them.

Also, cute blouses are in style right now, and I love cute blouses, so I am pleased that there are many available.

Miriel
09-20-2006, 05:17 AM
I am a god damn fashionista!

Ok, not really.

I think a lot of fashion trends are hideous, and I don't wear things for the sake of keeping in fashion. Like those empire wasit baby doll tops that were all the rage in the summer? Uhg. What a horrible look.

But of course current fashion trends influence how I dress, because that's what's in the stores and what's available to buy. And when there are fashion trends that I like, I'll jump on those.

And I do keep up with what's going on in terms of fashion and future trends. I take a look at the trends, figure out what I like and what I don't and just go from there. I don't wear stuff that I don't like, but I do dress well. And I manage to dress affordably to boot!

Take this fall season. Oversized stuff, sweaters, wraps, coats are gonna be very in. Also very in, knit and crochet tops. And ankle boots. All of this makes me happy cause I looove wearing big comfy warm sweaters and I love boots. :p

Oh and hats! Omg, yay, hats. ^_^

NorthernChaosGod
09-20-2006, 05:22 AM
Take this fall season. Oversized stuff, sweaters, wraps, coats are gonna be very in. Also very in, knit and crochet tops. And ankle boots. All of this makes me happy cause I looove wearing big comfy warm sweaters and I love boots. :p

How do you know what's going to be in!??? :confused:

Miriel
09-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Because you look at what the designers are dishing out and see what the emerging trends are. That's how.

abrojtm
09-20-2006, 05:36 AM
Clothes?
Then again, I do like people to see my p***s.

Araciel
09-20-2006, 05:38 AM

fie on hats i say!

Shlup
09-20-2006, 05:56 AM

How do you know what's going to be in!??? :confused:

Trends aren't just a population's taste randomly changing. Fashion is planned in advance and marketed.

Araciel
09-20-2006, 05:59 AM
yeah like guys not wearing your collar properly deployed...i seriously think they should come with instructions...i'm getting old

Yamaneko
09-20-2006, 06:03 AM
Fashion is one of the lowest forms of cultural expression.

DarkLadyNyara
09-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Where's the option for "I wear what's comfortable?"

What do I care what's popular these days? It's not like if I wear big name clothing, suddenly people I never met before will wanna be my friends, so there's no reason to wear stuff like that.

I wear what's comfortable, which is also usually dirt cheap, or what *I* think looks good on me. However I seem to have no sense of aesthetics. Oh well.

Yeah, what he said. I don't do "fashion". Nine times out of ten, my outfit consists of worn-out jeans and an oversized T-shirt.

sephirothishere
09-20-2006, 01:20 PM
How do you know what's going to be in!???

i know everythin....duuuuhhhhh........

Tasura
09-20-2006, 01:23 PM
If year round shorts and t-shirt follows a fashion trend, then yes, otherwise, no.

Polaris
09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't wear expensive clothes and I still look good. I like to mix styles, having a long skirt (for an example) with a a top in a different colour and I always wear acessories... I don't wear like girls normally do here, I'm so attracted to long sleeves :D and long skirts and cute necks! ^^ Girls here almost never wear kirts and when they do it's really tinnies!

Loony BoB
09-20-2006, 01:40 PM
My clothes are on a limited budget and I don't see any point in buying them when I don't need them. But I do like them! So I don't see why having a limited budget means I "don't like them very much". I hope you don't mind me editing the options slightly.

Not spending much (if any) money on clothes does not mean that you don't think you look good.

Shaun
09-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I couldn't give a crap about trends. No point in bein' a sheep. I just wear what I think will look okay for me, and I'd never pay a load of money for an item of clothing for the purpose of its brand name, for example.

Rosenti
09-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I just buy the newest clothes cause i like them best. To be honest, just cause it has some label with certain words or letters on it, doesn't really make it better than other.

Rusty
09-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I am very into fashion. I'm into it because I love design and I like clothes (just not in an obsessed way). I try and keep up with what is the fashion/trends, what trends are coming up or coming back, how to mix styles and create a certain look. But just because somethings in fashion - doesn't mean I'll wear it. I hate skinny leg jeans and because of this buying jeans is very hard at the moment.

I like to be stylish, but I always like to a bit different. Adding your own twist to a trend is making the trend suit you.

I agree with Shlup with the fact that sometime you wear a trend because that's the only thing in the shops! I remember when Hipster jeans were really in and I couldn't find a pair of normal jeans - so you sort of have to go along with the trends sometimes. It's not crime too!

I just don't like how all girls that love clothes are sort of stereotyped.

Resha
09-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Nah :D Fashion, trends, I don't really get that stuff. I wear what I like on me. I wear whatever's comfortable. If it's expensive, ooh. If it's cheap, goody-oh. I'm not anti-brand or I-LOVE-LABELS or anything.

And I love my Levis. :heart:

Oh, I'm also pretty sad to say that I hardly ever have money for clothes, much as I'd like to splurge real good one day. :( I spend it on other things instead so I suppose I am to blame.

Miriel
09-20-2006, 07:17 PM
I am very into fashion. I'm into it because I love design and I like clothes (just not in an obsessed way). I try and keep up with what is the fashion/trends, what trends are coming up or coming back, how to mix styles and create a certain look. But just because somethings in fashion - doesn't mean I'll wear it. I hate skinny leg jeans and because of this buying jeans is very hard at the moment.

Ahh! Me too! God dammit, people. Just because Audrey Hepburn can pull off the skinny jean look doesn't mean everyone else can! >_<

Old Manus
09-20-2006, 07:21 PM
You'll never see me out without my full set of designer clothes.

Dreddz
09-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Due to our cruel society, labels are important to me. Im sorry, but being laughed at for not having labeled clothing sounds horrible to me. I dont follow trends though, some say I spend alot on my clothes, but I buy what I think looks good. Its my life.

Owen Macwere
09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
I wear what suits me, throwing any fashion on the wall.

~SapphireStar~
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Im a mixture of the last 2 options for the girls. I do spend money on decent clothes, but sometimes I'd rather not go running out for the latest fashions.

Vincent, Thunder God
09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
: Zomg I look terrible! *Shrieks*

Someone has unfortunately gone and removed that option from my poll. I was joking. Despite having a bust-up the staff never fail. :eep:

Alive-Cat
09-20-2006, 09:31 PM
I pay a lot of money for clothes; but it's never what's in fashion.

Shauna
09-20-2006, 11:06 PM
I wear what's comfortable. I don't care about fashion. If I see a top I like, or a pair of jeans I like, I'll buy them! If they're with the current fashion... so be it! xD