PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario RPG

The Fat Bioware Nerd
09-20-2006, 02:44 AM
What's Super Mario RPG like? I never played that game before.

KentaRawr!
09-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Final Fantasy + Mario, basically. To convert Mario's charm into an RPG, they made a lot of the text "fun". So instead of obtaining fun from simplistic game design (in a good way), you obtain fun from jokes and "cute" styles. o.o

Yar
09-20-2006, 03:00 AM
My parents bought me SMRPG:LOTSS when I was six (1996) for $70 and I still have it, the box, and the booklet to this day. I try to play it all the way through about every six months or so, whenever I have a craving for it. It is a very good game. Try to find a ROM for it; but if you get the chance get the physical cartridge. It's better because it's hard to move in the 8 directions with 4 arrow keys. The graphics are astonishing. The physical humor is great along with verbal humor too. Keep in mind though, this Title was created for a younger audience, but still packs a punch for a more mature audience as well, somewhat of a nostalgic feel to it.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga pales in comparison.

Cruise Control
09-20-2006, 03:29 AM
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga pales in comparison.Thats not saying much.

Evastio
09-20-2006, 03:34 AM
It's a great, funny game. It's especially funny during any scene with Booster or the Chefs.

Araciel
09-20-2006, 05:46 AM
it's super mario in an rpg. good characters, ok story, and lots of rpg elements that fit well together

Kryton87
09-20-2006, 07:11 AM
if you want to know what its like, imagine a mario like sound track, with help from Nobuo Uemetsu. In other words, unsurpassable. Aside from that, look at some screenshots with that music in mind, and thats what you get.

As for the gameplay, it is incredibly simplified when compared to say... Final Fantasy. You get a slot for Weapon, Armor, and Accessory, and they do things like you'd see in Final Fantasy. Prevent this status ailment, upgrade these stats, that kind of thing. Currency is in Coins or Frog Coins, items are arranged in an FF2 style arrangement, so you only have I think 30 slots for items, but you use them pretty often, so its not a problem.

Not much of a spoiler, but this is a rundown of the story.

The bosses are mostly not from the Mushroom Kindom, but from this other guy named Smithy, who stabs a massive (I mean, 50 feet or something) sword through Bowser's Castle. And he's broken the Star Road, and caused peices to shatter throughout the Mushroom Kingdom and beyond. Smithy is creating weapons, removing all wishes, and generally making a rather large nucance to everyone. Once you get to Rose Town in the second (third if you count Bowser's Keep) area, Geno will explain the whole thing.

And thats really it.

Ultima Shadow
09-20-2006, 11:12 AM
What's Super Mario RPG like?It's like... one of the best games ever made.

Sefie1999AD
09-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Super Mario RPG is one of the few Mario games I actually liked. It plays a lot like an RPG game, though the system isn't as complex as in many of the FFs. The battles are a lot of fun, though. There's not that much storyline or character development, but it's still nice visiting a lot of places. The locations are well done, as are most of the minigames. The soundtrack by Yoko Shimomura is quite enjoyable, and there's also a few songs from the composer of the Mario games, and a few by Nobuo Uematsu.

aerithsloveslave
10-03-2006, 01:13 PM

It was the last great (original) game Square ever made for a Nintendo system.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-07-2006, 02:45 AM
No, I think they made Rudra no Hihou and Treasure Hunter G after that, but neither of them made it over here.

feioncastor
10-10-2006, 04:11 AM
The coolest thing in Super Mario RPG is when you approach the sealed door in Monstro Town while carrying the Shiny Stone. What lies beyond that door? FF4 Boss music and victory fanfare!

aerithsloveslave
10-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Don't forget the crystals!

Sefie1999AD
10-10-2006, 11:05 PM
I agree, fighting Culex and the Crystals was probably my favorite part in the game. It's probably the hardest battle in the game, and it took me quite a while, but I eventually beat him on my first try, and it was a great moment hearing FFIV's Victory Fanfare. ^^

Elemental Alchemist
10-11-2006, 02:12 AM
This magnificent game greatly surpasses its latter cousin, Paper Mario and its sequel. It must be the magical squaresoft touch on the game.

LoKuS
10-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I loved this game. the FFIV boss was badass too.

feioncastor
10-15-2006, 08:06 AM
I agree, fighting Culex and the Crystals was probably my favorite part in the game. It's probably the hardest battle in the game, and it took me quite a while, but I eventually beat him on my first try, and it was a great moment hearing FFIV's Victory Fanfare. ^^

It's kind of weird how much harder Culex is than Smithy, whom I actually found quite easy.

Hey, is it true that if you Super Jump on an enemy 100 times in a row, you'll get some good item from Jinx?

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-15-2006, 08:10 AM
No, don't you get that item from the thwomp in the same town? I know you get the 50 jump item. The most jumps I got was like 99, so I don't know about the. . .super jacket is it called?