PDA

View Full Version : That number in the top right corner

Evastio
09-20-2006, 03:29 AM
In the Famicom version of FFIII there's this number at the top-right corner of each save file. Does anyone know what that number is for/what it indicates?

Zeromus_X
09-20-2006, 03:32 AM
It counts the number of times you've saved on that slot, and once it hits 100 I believe it goes back to 0. (But it's been awhile).

I don't know if it has any other deeper purpose than that, though.

Evastio
09-20-2006, 03:36 AM
It counts the number of times you've saved on that slot, and once it hits 100 I believe it goes back to 0. (But it's been awhile).

I don't know if it has any other deeper purpose than that, though.
I remember there were times that the number increased by more than 1 after I saved on it once.

DJZen
09-20-2006, 09:38 AM
Yes, that's what happens when you save, as Zeromus had explained. It's a save counter.

Captain Maxx Power
09-20-2006, 12:06 PM
It's what the Japanese call a "lameness counter". It's a indication to all you silly American's about just how lousy you are at this game by having to save rather than playing the entire thing flawlessly from start to finish. See also Resident Evil.

Sefie1999AD
09-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Yep, it's a save counter. When I first played the game, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to save any more after it hits 100, but then the counter went back to 0 and started again. It seems I saved "95" (most likely 195) times on my first game, and "46" (not sure if it's 146 or 246, probably 146) times during my second game.

Ender
09-20-2006, 07:33 PM
It's what the Japanese call a "lameness counter". It's a indication to all you silly American's about just how lousy you are at this game by having to save rather than playing the entire thing flawlessly from start to finish. See also Resident Evil.

:lol:

I rolled over the counter on my recent playthrough of FFIII (that was in addition to the ridiculous number of emulator save-states I made in the various "dungeons").

I've tried no-reload games (not in any FF but in other games) and frankly, the pressure of knowing there's no safety net if something goes wrong (ie in FFIII it would be something like getting ambushed in the tower by a bunch of those nasty qumqums all casting Death or Break on their free turn) results in me doing something long before I get to the end.

undnce
09-22-2006, 01:47 AM
In my opinion, it's stupid not to save.

Tavrobel
09-22-2006, 02:13 AM
I got in a panic when that save counter reached fifty. And merely just thirty levels away from 99.

Paul
09-22-2006, 10:17 AM
because RPGs are so linear, when i die and am faced with replaying the exact same section over again, the thought makes me sick and i'm more likely to just not play the game anymore.

it's not so bad when it's only a little bit, but if you're talking like an hour's progress... fuck that.

Reine
09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
because RPGs are so linear, when i die and am faced with replaying the exact same section over again, the thought makes me sick and i'm more likely to just not play the game anymore.

it's not so bad when it's only a little bit, but if you're talking like an hour's progress... smurf that.

Yeah, I have that problem, I can get put off a game for weeks, months, even years if its bad enough :eep:

Ryushikaze
09-23-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm rarely worried about loss. Only about sleep and the status of my equipment. And my power bill.

DJZen
09-25-2006, 12:59 AM
I'm rarely worried about loss. Only about sleep and the status of my equipment. And my power bill.

Breathing is also important. It can be easy to forget about that sometimes when you're in a really intense battle.