PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's most memorable (and notorious) rivalry: Yankees vs. Red Sox

Bloodline666
09-20-2006, 04:10 AM
Please vote as to which of the two teams in this rivalry you prefer.

My vote goes to the Yankees, obviously, because the Red Sox pretty much dug their own grave when they sold Babe Ruth's contract to the Yankees. It would take them about 86 years to break the Curse of the Bambino.

Kirobaito
09-20-2006, 04:16 AM
For any person outside of the New York and Boston metropolitan areas, it is foolish to "pick a side."

They both represent the evils of baseball. I find it ridiculous what the Yankees choose to do regarding payroll. It's unfair to the rest of baseball.

Yet the Red Sox choose to whine about the size of the Yankees payroll when they represent the same demon. You have no room to talk when you have the 2nd highest payroll in baseball by $20 million or so.

I don't hear Terry Ryan or Billy Beane complaining about the size of payrolls. They have what they have and they deal with it. Their teams make the playoffs because they have a little thing called baseball sense.

Both the Yankees and Red Sox are awful for baseball. End of story. I refuse to pick the lesser of two evils.

Strider
09-20-2006, 04:31 AM
There isn't much rivalry between a hammer and a nail, is there?

Giants/Dodgers > Yankees/Red Sox

Bloodline666
09-20-2006, 04:46 AM
There isn't much rivalry between a hammer and a nail, is there?

Giants/Dodgers > Yankees/Red Sox

Until the Giants get rid of Barry Bonds (whether by his retirement or otherwise), I will continue to detest the Giants, because Barry Bonds is a disgrace to the entire sport, just like Mark Magwire and Sammy Sosa. Sorry, but doing steroids is a LOT worse than "buying championships/pennants". It's also worse than gambling.

Del Murder
09-20-2006, 05:17 AM
Kind of sick of this one. It was cool with Aaron Boone, and then the Boston comeback, but now it's just like let's move on.

I don't have a preference, though Boston was the most recent one to knock the A's out of the playoffs.

eestlinc
09-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Personally I think throwing a world series for money is far worse for baseball than taking steroids. At least with steroids players are still trying to have a competitive advantage. It's not much different than working in the weight room or watching tape, except that it's illegal and destructive. Gambling calls into question the very integrity of the game as a contest where both sides are doing their best to win.

I like the Red Sox more than the Yankees, but I like every team more than the Yankees.

Crossblades
09-20-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm a diehard Yankees(and Twins)fan, but I'm tired of the rivalry. It got old. I want to see people make a big deal out of the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry.

Kind of sick of this one. It was cool with Aaron Boone, and then the Boston comeback, but now it's just like let's move on.

Don't forget the 5 game sweep

Kirobaito
09-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm a diehard Yankees(and Twins)fan, but I'm tired of the rivalry. It got old. I want to see people make a big deal out of the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry.
That's kinda difficult when the Cubs are one of the bottom three teams in baseball, even if the Cardinals are only mediocre.

Del Murder
09-21-2006, 02:18 AM
Don't forget the 5 game sweep
A five game sweep is pretty uncommon, but it wasn't enough to get me to care about the same two East Coast teams that always hog the headlines.

Go A's/Angels rivalry!

PeTeRL90
09-21-2006, 02:30 AM
Well, I grew up in a Red Sox family, and was taught to root against the Yankees, so I tend to stick with the Red Sox whenever they play.