PDA

View Full Version : When people change their Avatars...

The Devil Man
09-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Uhhhh... this may have been done before. If it has then ---> :eek:

Just curious. What do you think when people change their Avatars? For me... it's all wierd! I end up associating some Members on here with their Avatars for sure.

Like... recently, Bipper changed his Avatar and, for me at least, Bipper just didn't 'go' anymore :( But he changed it back. Yay! :hyper: Bipper suddenly 'goed' again! And everyone's favourite Norwegian Levian recently fooled around with a bunch of Avatars, all of which didn't suit him, until finally he changed back to Wakka. And, Yay again! :bounce: Levian 'became' Levian once more!

Sooooo, uhhh... yeah! It's kinda strange for me when people flick between Avatars. What do ya think?

~SapphireStar~
09-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Im a pain for doing it with my sigs also!

Meat Puppet
09-20-2006, 10:02 AM
It depends how frequently that person has avatar changes. If it's change to a long-term avatar then it can be upsetting; no doubt I would have gotten used to the avatar being with that member, and I'm not too good with change. On the other hand, should a person change his or her avatar every couple of days or so, I won't fuss about it. Not enough time for that avatar to work its way into my heart.

Brian The Pink Shark
09-20-2006, 10:08 AM
i used to change my avatar all the time untill i finally settled on my own creation - a crappily drwn smiley face using mspaint When i became BTPS i started using this shark avatar :choc:

Raven Nox
09-20-2006, 10:11 AM
I change mine eveytime I change my sig, which is normally every couple of weeks. Sometimes shorter. It doesn't bother me when people do this. But when someone whose had the same one for a long time changes it, it just doesn't feel right. I get used to it pretty quickly, but there's always a time period of "I DUN NO U!1!" :(

Rainecloud
09-20-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm constantly changing my Avatar/Signature setup. I just can't find one that I'm willing to keep permanently. I did have a nifty elf sprite theme from FF1, but I got bored of that in 2004.

I might resurrect it for a while, just for nostalgia's sake.

Polaris
09-20-2006, 11:22 AM
My avatar and sig represents for me my mood so if i wanna mark smth new on my life i make new sigs and avatar! When I'm down I make more gothic style... Perhaps people think I'm crazy for doing that so i don't reall mind when people change their avatar or sigs!

Loony BoB
09-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't mind too much so long as they don't change their username. Now that is annoying.

Christmas
09-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Someone here had been paying close attention on Levian and Bipper. :bigsmile:

Captain Maxx Power
09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
What's worse is when long time and well known members change their name to something seriously inferior and no where near as memorable. Like say something along the lines of a spoonerism for Batman for example.

Mo-Nercy
09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I change my avatar and sig all the time. I like to think my name is enough for people to go by to remember me.

sephirothishere
09-20-2006, 12:48 PM
doesnt bother me....ont go crazy changin it like every though...that would piss me off....

theundeadhero
09-20-2006, 01:04 PM
It depends on which member it is, when it really comes down to it. I couldn't care less for most members.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
couldn't care less unless I really liked it

Rocket Edge
09-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree with BoB on the username stuff, other than that i don't really mind people changig their avatar, i've changed mine about 3 times in total here..

Roto13
09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
It really depends on who they are and what they change it to. I don't think anyone cares when I change my avatar because it's always Indiana Jones. I kind of got a kick out of seeing Meat Puppet wearing RSL's hat. Not that I really care if someone get's a whole new set.

Lynx -> Her Majesty's Agent Umaro = Awesome.

Flying Mullet -> Bantam = less awesome. Bring the mullet back! :(

Rosenti
09-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Do Not Care.

Jess
09-20-2006, 03:20 PM
If Meat Puppet changed his avatar (unless he was changing the hat!) I'd be very sad. :jess:

Resha
09-20-2006, 03:33 PM
If Meat Puppet changed his avatar (unless he was changing the hat!) I'd be very sad. :jess:

I was going to say that. If he ever changed his avatar I'd cry. :(

And BoB too. There's some people as can't change them avvies. Nuh-uh. :mad2:

Tempest
09-20-2006, 03:39 PM

I was going to say that. If he ever changed his avatar I'd cry. :(

And BoB too. There's some people as can't change them avvies. Nuh-uh. :mad2:

I agree. Also Christmas and RSL too, if they'd change their avatars. Other then them, it doesn't bother me if people change their avatars.

bipper
09-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Ya'know, I always heard final fantasy avatars were not cool, so I finally make a custome one, and I catch hell from everyone :(

I must only be precieved as being uncool:mad2:

Christmas
09-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Ya'know, I always heard final fantasy avatars were not cool, so I finally make a custome one, and I catch hell from everyone :(

NONSENSE.

bipper
09-20-2006, 03:50 PM

NONSENSE.

:( you were the only one that was nice to me. You are so nice and caring!

Madame Adequate
09-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Flying Mullet -> Bantam = less awesome. Bring the mullet back! :(

Holy /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, THAT'S what happened to FM? :eek:

Anyway it depends on who it is and how long they've had it. If oonay or Meat Puppet changed, it'd be odd. Whenever Rye or I change, it's nothing, 'cause it happens regular.

Cz
09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
I'd be upset if BoB changed his avatar, but that's about it. Someone like Meat Puppet changing would make me do a double-take, but I'm sure I'd get used to it pretty quickly.

Levian
09-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Yer, it really depends on who's changing it. Although some changes can be for the better. I've grown rather attached to kikimm's avatar even though I also like her previous that I have forgotten what looked like. It would be an outrage if Sonn.. Del Murder changed his avatar. It just wouldn't be him anymore. undeadhero, MP, Old Manus among others should also never change avatar imho. Psychotic's current avatar is bothering me, though. But it's just a phase anyway.

But yeah, name changes are far more frustrating. It's hard to keep track on multiple names on people when there's so many active members as there is on this forum, and I always mix 'em up. Other names are just stupid though, like Palindroma. And I didn't like Cz when he first changed to it. Now it's not the worst thing in the world.

So you noticed me changing around, eh. I was just testing some stuff :D And you're right. It looked weird. I haven't had this avatar for so long though, but I still like it, even though it's FF and in the avatar gallery. :shifty:

Tasura
09-20-2006, 04:24 PM
I change my set absed on the anime im watching/just finished, and I dont mind someone changeing theres if they do it alot, but someone whose had the same avatar since Ive known them changes it, then thats not so good.

Peegee
09-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Let's use some examples

- Wacky BoB
- Spuuky
- Dr Unne
- Gao Bao

If any of the above 4 changed their avatars, would you be able to recognise them? I wouldn't. Their avatars have become who they are.

Incidentally I changed my avatar. Or rather I'm using one. That's odd enough as it is.

boys from the dwarf
09-20-2006, 05:05 PM
i dont mind avatars unless the person has one that really suited them in which case id only like it if it was even better.

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2006, 05:08 PM
It really just depends on the person. Some people's avatars are just them, and for other people it doesn't really matter so much. I like to change mine every month or two, but I always revert back to Amarao. I don't really know if people consider that to be "me," but it just seems to have stuck.

edczxcvbnm
09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I change my avatar to a 24 avatar whenever the new season is airing. Then change it back to this one. Both have been around forever with me. They define this user.

ljkkjlcm9
09-20-2006, 05:57 PM
I have 2 avatars I use, this one, and the dude from Mystic Quest doing his WTF?!?! look

THE JACKEL

Agent Proto
09-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Well, lately, I have found that Phoenix Wright is ME, so I don't change avatars as much. If I do, it's going to be Phoenix Wright related.

theundeadhero
09-20-2006, 06:11 PM
<b>undeadhero</b>, MP, Old Manus among others should also never change avatar imhoI got yelled at by at least six-hundred members just for adding a pope hat once and then a monkey tail after that.

Owen Macwere
09-20-2006, 06:35 PM

NONSENSE.

:( you were the only one that was nice to me. You are so nice and caring!

I think she meant the oppasite. :(

I wish I can have an avy like Christmas's and Meat's This Dr.Unne one looks unoriginal compared to thiers. :(

kikimm
09-20-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't care so much. I think the only one I really cared about was the previously mentioned monkey tail. I am much more adaptable when it comes to avatar changes!

Vincent, Thunder God
09-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Instead of reading the names again and again I go by the sigs or avatars, so yes, I agree with you Devil Man.

I never change my avatar, so no worries there.

Miriel
09-20-2006, 10:50 PM
If you've established yourself as a person who changes your avatar all the time, then it really makes no difference. Cause you're not really associated with one (or even just a few) "faces".

If you've established yourself as someone who doesn't change your avatar a lot, then changing it all of a sudden is baaad. Cause you have this whole identity established and people don't like seeing that change.

Old Manus
09-20-2006, 10:58 PM
I guess seeing as my avatar would always be a variation of the same thing, it should still look awesomely cool.

Yeah, I'm gonna change it now :chef:

Jessweeee♪
09-20-2006, 11:03 PM
It's funny :P you picture memebers you've never seen according to thier avatars XDDD

Sometimes I don't even bother memorizing someone's name, just the avatar, so it is very strange for me.

Mirage
09-20-2006, 11:04 PM
It was funny when Manus and Levian switched.

If someone with a long-term avatar suddenly changes, it's weird, cause I'm used to linking that image to that person, so I sometimes don't even notice that the person posts in threads.

Leeza
09-20-2006, 11:51 PM
I don't mind most av changes, but when long established members who have gone with one av for a long time decide to change theirs, it does make life difficult. Unless, they just switch between certain themes, etc. However, it is preferred over a name change. :cat:

Venom
09-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I used to change my Avatar quite a lot. Now I barely change it.

I dont really care when people change there avatars.

Psychotic
09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Psychotic's current avatar is bothering me, though. But it's just a phase anyway.I always change my avatar, dear Leviathan, as my signature suggests. And that doesn't even have all the non-P's.

It would only suck if Sephex changed his avatar. Everyone else can do what they like.

rubah
09-20-2006, 11:58 PM
the length of time that I keep an avatar on is proportional to the goodness of said avatar. (plus the time when I don't have a *new* one, divided by how much I like the avatar at that time)

I've been working with functions too long :(

I think Pssy's current avatar is his best.