PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day [Spoilers]

BG-57
09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
This has been bothering me for some time:

Why is it that none of the major characters in the story have mothers that are alive or even mentioned by name?

1) Dycedarg and Zalbag are sons of Balbanes by his unnamed first wife.

2) Ramza and Alma are children of Balbanes by his also unnamed second wife.

It's reasonable to assume that Balbanes' remarried after his first wife's death. But if his second wife was still alive when he dies, why wasn't she there?

3) Meliadoul and Izlude are children of Vormav. No mention of their mother.

4) Mustadio is the son of Besrodio. Ditto.

5) Olan is the son-in-law of T.G. Cid. No mention of his mother or mother-in-law.

6) Rafa and Malak are orphans. No mention if they had an adoptive mother though.

7) It's reasonable to assume that Teta and Delita are also orphans.

8) Ditto with Weigraf and Miluda.

EDIT:

9) Queen Ruvelia is mentioned by name, but she never appears in person.

The other characters are hard to say either way but the parents aren't mentioned at all for them.

My own theory is that mothers are a stabilizing influence on family structure. Their children wouldn't then be free to go on globe-trotting quests to save the world. So they have to be out of the way.

I have no idea why they wouldn't be mentioned by name though.

What do you guys think?

conan
09-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Seems like an interesting, possible scenario.

dodhungry
09-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I wish I didnt have a mother so I could go on save the world globe trotting quest.......

I believe that was just one thing that was not a nessary to even metion mothers. 1 too much hassle for Square.. and 2 the womans status in that period was considered lower than a mans... Kinda find it strange to see female knights in some of the cut scenes tho....

Roto13
09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
It's not really a period so much as a completely different world from our own. :P Women can't be too worthless in the game. Half my characters are female.

feioncastor
09-21-2006, 12:15 AM
9) Queen Ruvich is mentioned by name, but she never appears in person.
Do you mean Ruvelia, mother of Orinas?

Anyway, I hadn't really noticed until you pointed this out.

I don't think any of these people were young enough for their mother to have a strong influence on them. It's not like Ramza was some 9 year old kid on an adventure. He was probably around 16 or so when he was in the academy with Delita. In those days (that is, the time period around which this situation may have occured in Europe, I guess), it wasn't uncommon to marry and settle a family of your own in your late teens, so usually at 16, you were learning a trade or something to make a living.

There was really no reason to mention mothers in the game. It never fit into the storyline, and it didn't leave any holes in the story to omit mothers.

vorpal blade
09-21-2006, 09:38 AM
Unnamed mothers are unnamed because they're irrelavant. They're probably dead.

Purple shoot
09-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Unnamed mothers are unnamed because they're irrelavant. They're probably dead.

But if thats true it could be a lot of coincidense that all the mothers of the game are dead(and a little confusig too!:kaodizzy: )But if thats true...Poor mothers!:kaobeg: And porr orphans!:kaocry: