PDA

View Full Version : It's Aeris . . . I don't care what the Credits said

Mercen-X
09-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Her name is pronounced Aeris so it only makes sense it should be spelled that way. Do you go around calling Sephiroth "Sephiros"? Because the rule applies to his name. Sephiroth, unlike sephiros, is actually a word. Look it up. Taking your cue from that, you should be able to figure out what's going on with Aeris' name. I don't care that they "corrected" it for the Advent Children credits. It doesn't make sense to spell it with a TH.

If Sephiroth = Sephiros,
Cloud Strife = Clutz Trifle
Tifa = Typhoid
Barret = Ballet
Cait Sith = Kite Zit
and
Cid = Seat

Zeromus_X
09-20-2006, 10:13 PM
It's spelled Aerith in roman letters. That was her original name created by Square, not a mistake. Aeris is a mistranslation.

Similarly, Sephiroth is only pronounced 'Sephiros' by the Japanese. They don't have a 'th' sound, so they have to replace it with an 's' sound.

rubah
09-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Aeris is more pleasing aurally. Aerith looks prettier, but she's gone down in videogame history as aeris. Leave good enough alone.

~SapphireStar~
09-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Aeris is more pleasing aurally. Aerith looks prettier, but she's gone down in videogame history as aeris. Leave good enough alone.
Hear hear!

Ryushikaze
09-21-2006, 12:01 AM
It's Aerith. It's official. Deal. Don't make topics about it.

Zeromus_X
09-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Yeah,

Poorly translated (though still not as bad as FFT) North American localization of FFVII

vs.

Kingdom Hearts
Advent Children
*all other compilation titles featuring Aerith*
Square's original name

I mean, they even went as far as to correct themselves in later games featuring her. Which name is prettier is up to personal opinion, but one name will always be the name the creators of the game gave to her, and not someone who got a big scare.

Though, I still don't understand the whole 'Aries' thing. What localization is she named that in? That confuses the heck out of me.

LunarWeaver
09-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Seems everybody knows more about Square's property than Square does these days. You don't care that it's in the credits, it's still what you say it is? :O_O:

Anyway, neither one bothers me. I guess the official non-mistranslation would be more accurate, but I just accept either name as being fine.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-21-2006, 12:49 AM
She wasn't named Aries in any official localization. It just takes a certain kind of person to make a mistake that atrocious. It starts with an H.

Orophin
09-21-2006, 04:51 AM
but she's gone down in videogame history as aeris.

She died as Aeris in the english version of the game only. It's not like english speakers are the kings of the world.

Oh and by the way, they took Aerith because it's the *don't remember what it's called* of Earth. If you add a 'i' to Earth and replace the letters in another order, it gives Aerith. They took Earth because she is very important to the planet in the storyline.

ValkyrieWing
09-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Aerith always felt...I dunno, lispy to me.

vorpal blade
09-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Actually, I also read that "Aeris" has meaning because she is the "heiress" (sound similar) to the Earth (palindrome? Anagram?).
And as for Sephiroth being a word, I read another spelling: Sefirot.
And i would like to agree that FFT had an atrocious translation.

PhoenixAsh
09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
If we're gonna talk official, how is it actually pronounced in Japanese? It can't be Aerith.

In all this time I still haven't worked out where she actually IS called Aerith apart from outside of the game itself.

Sefie1999AD
09-21-2006, 05:45 PM
The official translation seems to be Aerith, with Aeris being just a mistranslation. AC and KH games also called her Aerith. However, the Finnish subtitles in the AC DVD called her Aeris during the Reminiscence of FFVII for some reason. Maybe because the Reminiscence had video clips from FFVII and the English version called her Aeris there? That's still quite weird since the Finnish subtitles only work with the Japanese version of the Reminiscence, not the English version.

Rainecloud
09-21-2006, 06:05 PM
It's Aeris.

I don't care what any other sources say.

Ryushikaze
09-21-2006, 08:39 PM
If we're gonna talk official, how is it actually pronounced in Japanese? It can't be Aerith.

Course it can. Or at least close to, like Sephiroth.

In all this time I still haven't worked out where she actually IS called Aerith apart from outside of the game itself.

You mean 'Aeris' in the above, right?

Actually, I also read that "Aeris" has meaning because she is the "heiress" (sound similar) to the Earth (palindrome? Anagram?).

I think that's nothing more than post hoc rationalization from the people who want to keep it Aeris. The Anagram bit comes from SE themselves.

And as for Sephiroth being a word, I read another spelling: Sefirot.
And i would like to agree that FFT had an atrocious translation.

It's the paths of the trees of Sephirot/h, a kabbalist/gnostic image. It's basically a way to god/ becoming god (as in joining, as opposed to usurping).

It's Aeris.

Seems everybody knows more about Square's property than Square does these days. You don't care that it's in the credits, it's still what you say it is?

Not only that, but FF7 itself has her name listed as Aerith in several thousand (or so) american copies. So now not only do we have The game in Japanese version, the creator, the sequel, the spin offs, the company, and all other official materials to bring against your one badly translated game, we have that selfsame game as well.

It's like we're arguing Neitzche.

Orophin
09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=PhoenixAsh;1902444]If we're

Not only that, but FF7 itself has her name listed as Aerith in several thousand (or so) american copies. So now not only do we have The game in Japanese version, the creator, the sequel, the spin offs, the company, and all other official materials to bring against your one badly translated game, we have that selfsame game as well.

It's like we're arguing Neitzche.

It remind me of Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior, some peoples say Dragon Warrior VIII and not Dragon Quest VIII because the 7 firsts were named Dragon Warrior in America... The real name is Dragon Quest but they can't accept it and they say that Dragon Warrior is the real name because it was out as Dragon Warrior (on the Nes) in America. They think that America > Everything else... If the english translation says that, it's that! lol, I think I said enough. :p

PhoenixAsh
09-21-2006, 09:55 PM

How? Do they pronounce it Aerit? Or Aeris? I'm not argueing, I genuinely don't know, I just don't really see how it could be closer to Aerith than Aeris.

You mean 'Aeris' in the above, right?

Actually no, I'm English, and thus have only seen Aeris as the name used for her in games. I have absolutely no idea which regions named her Aerith in the game itself. I presumed given the amount of debating that it was she was known as Aeris in at least some places other than than England.

Orophin
09-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I presumed given the amount of debating that it was she was known as Aeris in at least some places other than than England.

Yeah, America, and I think that's all.

Ryushikaze
09-21-2006, 11:39 PM

How? Do they pronounce it Aerit? Or Aeris? I'm not argueing, I genuinely don't know, I just don't really see how it could be closer to Aerith than Aeris.

Well, at this point you're making the mistake of following the katakana, which are just syllabized versions of foreign words under most circumstances. For example, to follow the kana for computer, you get co n pi yu - ta, or conpyuta, though the japanese are perfectly capable of saying computer. Another good example would be the Physalis from Gundam 0083. You cannot literally get 'physalis' in japanese kana, but you can come close, and it is understood that the proper name is Physalis. Same with Aerith, though it's made worse by the problem that japanese does not have a kana specifically for 'th' and uses the 'su' instead.

Actually no, I'm English, and thus have only seen Aeris as the name used for her in games. I have absolutely no idea which regions named her Aerith in the game itself. I presumed given the amount of debating that it was she was known as Aeris in at least some places other than than England.

She was known as Aerith in the original game, numerous english copies of the game, FF7:AC, FF7:BC, KH, KH2, The UG, the UOG, The prologue book, the Reunion Files, etc. etc. etc.
Meanwhile, she was only called Aeris in translated versions which were wrought with other errors.

PhoenixAsh
09-22-2006, 01:32 PM
So Japanese speakers can pronounce Aerith then? I figured it was just a sound that they didn't use, like a lot of Spanish sounds which just don't appear in English. Is her name supposed to sound foreign in Japan?

*~Angel Wing~*
09-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Hear hear!
:thumb:

The Infinite Telomerase
09-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Really, you can call her whatever you like; you'll just be horribly, horribly wrong if you don't consider Aerith to be her official, canon name.

Zeromus_X
09-23-2006, 05:12 AM
So Japanese speakers can pronounce Aerith then? I figured it was just a sound that they didn't use, like a lot of Spanish sounds which just don't appear in English. Is her name supposed to sound foreign in Japan?

Well, alot of RPG characters have distinct western names, so I guess you could say that about a multitude of RPG characters.

~SapphireStar~
09-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Really, you can call her whatever you like; you'll just be horribly, horribly wrong if you don't consider Aerith to be her official, canon name.
Havent you just gone back on what youve said? You say we can call her whatever we like, yet we are wrong if we dont refer to her as Aerith.

The Infinite Telomerase
09-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Havent you just gone back on what youve said?
Nope

~SapphireStar~
09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
But you have though. You say we can call her what we want, yet you see us as being horribly wrong if we dont consider Aerith to be her offical name.

The Infinite Telomerase
09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Claiming something to be correct and actually being right about it doesn't have to be mutually inclusive.

Ryushikaze
09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
But you have though. You say we can call her what we want, yet you see us as being horribly wrong if we dont consider Aerith to be her offical name.

Let's say this differently. You can plug your AV cords in in any order, but if you don't put them in the right way, you AV system will not work.

G3ORGE
09-26-2006, 08:23 PM
ANyone know when KH 2 is out in the UK?

Soz about doble posting but has anyone thought she could of got a name change?

Next time please edit your post instead of adding to it.

~Void

~SapphireStar~
09-26-2006, 08:44 PM
what do you mean? Its the translations.

Ryushikaze
09-26-2006, 09:22 PM
ANyone know when KH 2 is out in the UK?

No. And go ask in the KH section.

Soz about doble posting but has anyone thought she could of got a name change?

After dying? Not likely.

what do you mean? Its the translations.

A translation notorious for being error wrought. It's also the only place she's actually called 'Aeris' instead of Aerith. And even were it official and not completely overwhelmed by the sources she's been called Aerith in, it's been retconned.

Bloodline666
09-27-2006, 11:22 AM
It's Aeris.

This, ladies and gentlemen, describes exactly how badly translation errors can warp the feeble little minds of gamers! And Aerith's name wasn't the ONLY translation error in the game; another translation error also affected people's view of the storyline. In fact, because of one translation error, many fans believed a certain member of the Turks to be DEAD!

Of course, there are even worse translation errors to the point where they just don't make any sense whatsoever! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Aybabtu.png)

What's next? People actually claiming that of the four bosses in SF2, the Boxer is Balrog, the guy with the talon is Vega, and the final boss is M. Bison, when we KNOW the boxer is M. Bison, the guy with the talon is Balrog, and the final boss is Vega? (everybody KNOWS those names were switched around in the US version to avoid a lawsuit from Mike Tyson) That Ermac was in the first Mortal Kombat? That you could access the Hot Coffee mode in GTA: San Andreas by normal means? (meaning WITHOUT a cheat device)

Mercen-X
09-28-2006, 12:12 AM
but she's gone down in videogame history as aeris.

She died as Aeris in the english version of the game only. It's not like english speakers are the kings of the world.

Oh and by the way, they took Aerith because it's the anagram of Earth. If you add a 'i' to Earth and replace the letters in another order, it gives Aerith. They took Earth because she is very important to the planet in the storyline.I wholeheartedly agree that speaking English doesn't make anyone royalty (although they still like to play dress up in red and gold), but Orphan, I myself had at one time compared Aerith's "real name" to "Earth" and was shot down by someone with literal translations. The word Aerith has nothing to do with "Earth."

What's next? People actually claiming that Ermac was in the first Mortal Kombat?
Because he wore the same outfit as Scorpion and Sub-Zero? Because he wore the same outfit as the hidden character, Reptile?
Yeah, I can see how people would think that Rain was an alternate hidden character that you were punished with if you couldn't unlock Reptile. lol
That aside though, Mortal Kombat is supposedly an American game fronted by Mike Boon and (first name here) Tobias, which is where the character Noob Saibot originates from. It's because it's an American game that they can get away with "mispronouncing" Raiden.

Well, at this point you're making the mistake of following the katakana, which are just syllabized versions of foreign words under most circumstances. For example, to follow the kana for computer, you get co n pi yu - ta, or conpyuta, though the japanese are perfectly capable of saying computer. Another good example would be the Physalis from Gundam 0083. You cannot literally get 'physalis' in japanese kana, but you can come close, and it is understood that the proper name is Physalis. Same with Aerith, though it's made worse by the problem that japanese does not have a kana specifically for 'th' and uses the 'su' instead.

Tell me. If the only problem presented with translating Aerith's name was the alphabetic characters applied, WHY THE HELL DID SEPHIROTH TURN OUT RIGHT!?

Also, Cloud's move is not Omnislash V5. It was first seen in Tactics so that name applies. Pretty much with this, my reason is that I hate when new summons, magics, or attacks are given the same name but with an added word or phrase (like all those damned Bahamuts.)

Zeromus_X
09-28-2006, 12:31 AM
It isn't like the early PS1 Square games are praised for their translations. FFVII is no exception, and if you want a kick, go read the script of Final Fantasy Tactics.

Regardless, Aerith is her official name. There is no argument.

Bloodline666
09-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Because he wore the same outfit as Scorpion and Sub-Zero? Because he wore the same outfit as the hidden character, Reptile?
Yeah, I can see how people would think that Rain was an alternate hidden character that you were punished with if you couldn't unlock Reptile. lol
That aside though, Mortal Kombat is supposedly an American game fronted by Mike Boon and (first name here) Tobias, which is where the character Noob Saibot originates from. It's because it's an American game that they can get away with "mispronouncing" Raiden.

Actually, to clarify a few things:

For one, pallete-swapping to create characters from already-existing characters was pretty common in 2D games, possibly dating back to the original Mario Bros. game with Luigi being a pallete-swap of Mario (the practice may even date back further, for all I know), due to the memory limitations in games at the time. So basically, it was like Ryu/Ken (though the heads on their respective sprites were different, the rest of the body on the sprites were pallete-swaps of each other), Mario/Luigi (early Mario games, though the official character artwork for the two dictated otherwise), Scorpion/Sub-Zero...you know the drill. In essence, cheating to create new characters when memory limitation problems developed. The Ermac rumor was brought about by an issue of EGM Magazine that had a screenshot of Ermac taken with a polaroid camera. Someone had sent the magazine this photo, and it was put in the magazine, and that's where the rumor started. Turns out the "screenshot" was a fake. Similar in nature to the Ermac rumor was the Sheng Long SF2 rumor, but this was not instigated by a fan; it was instigated by EGM Magazine, themselves. I believe it was put in an April issue of the magazine, and was meant as an April Fool's joke. Capcom of America actually believed this, and contacted Capcom of Japan, asking them how to fight Sheng Long. This eventually led to the creation of Akuma/Gouki in Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Capcom again showing their notoriety of changing characters' names in the US version of their games).

Also, it was Ed Boon and John Tobias that created Mortal Kombat, not Mike Boon and John Tobias. Mike Boon would join the development team later on, and just so happens to be Ed Boon's brother.

And while we're on the subject of misspelled names, such is the case with Aerith/Aeris here, Raiden's name in the console versions of MK1 - MKT was not a translation error (which was the case of Aerith's name being misspelled in the US version of FF7; and besides, MK was an American game, so no translations were necessary); In the case of Raiden (or "Rayden" in the console versions), it was a copyright issue, just like the boss name rotation that occurred in US version of Street Fighter II, and subsequent SF games, with M. Bison, Balrog, and Vega, as another game company owned the rights to "Raiden" for console games, thus, all references to his name had the "i" in his name changed to "y" in the console versions of MK1-MKT (lifebar, storyline text, bio text, ending text, etc.). It wasn't until around the time of MK4 when the company holding the rights to the name "Raiden" for console games stopped holding the rights to that name, and thus, Midway was finally allowed to use the name "Raiden" as it was originally spelled in the console versions of all subsequent MK games, starting with MK4.

It isn't like the early PS1 Square games are praised for their translations. FFVII is no exception, and if you want a kick, go read the script of Final Fantasy Tactics.
I couldn't help but laugh at the "l" and "r" being used interchangably in characters' names in the game. One minute, you see "Omdolia", and the next, you see "Omdoria". At one point, I think they even spelled Ruvelia's name as "Luveria".

Mercen-X
09-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Thank you for that. I officially HATE the American Copyright System.

. . . and I knew his name was Ed but Mike was in my head. At least I didn't make him up. That's a relief.

Bloodline666
09-28-2006, 12:55 AM

Exactly! The names of three bosses being rotated in the US version of a game, while staying as-is in the Japanese version...all because Mike Tyson's legal team didn't want a black boxer named "Mike Bison" in Street Fighter II. Fucked-up, isn't it?

Ryushikaze
09-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Tell me. If the only problem presented with translating Aerith's name was the alphabetic characters applied, WHY THE HELL DID SEPHIROTH TURN OUT RIGHT!?

It's not the only problem. In fact, it wasn't. In the demo, she was Aerith. Stupid was what made Aerith turn out wrong, not simple translation errors.

Also, Cloud's move is not Omnislash V5. It was first seen in Tactics so that name applies.

1- Yes, it's Omnislash V5. That's its OFFICIAL NAME, so given because it was the fifth version they created.
2- It is NOT Cherry Blossom.

Orophin
09-28-2006, 02:57 AM
In the demo, she was Aerith. Stupid was what made Aerith turn out wrong, not simple translation errors.

She was named Aerith in the demo of FFVII!?

Carl the Llama
09-28-2006, 03:53 AM
So your trying to say that because it was in the original game that it should be spelt Aeris? so what, when someone is ill I should go around saying this guy are sick? lol i dont think so, Aerith is a better looking name.

Moon Rabbits
09-28-2006, 04:01 AM

Exactly! The names of three bosses being rotated in the US version of a game, while staying as-is in the Japanese version...all because Mike Tyson's legal team didn't want a black boxer named "Mike Bison" in Street Fighter II. smurfed-up, isn't it?

Personally, I think Vega better suits the clawed fighter than "Balrog". Either way, this is forever burned into my head:

M. Bison = Boss, Vega = Badass, Aeris = Flower Girl, Aerith = ?

Really, I don't see why all this matters, the sounds 'th' and 's' are close enough, it's just a name...and like rubah, I think Aeris sounds better.

Mercen-X
09-28-2006, 11:50 PM
So your trying to say that because it was in the original game that it should be spelt Aeris? Aerith is a better looking name.
No it's nawt! It looks weird. You only think it looks better because it's the official name and you've wrapped your brain around the concept and say that it looks better so you can actually accept it.

Granted, I spent a lot of time calling her Aireez.

Ryushikaze
09-29-2006, 01:40 AM
So your trying to say that because it was in the original game that it should be spelt Aeris? Aerith is a better looking name.
No it's nawt! It looks weird. You only think it looks better because it's the official name and you've wrapped your brain around the concept and say that it looks better so you can actually accept it.

Bad Monkey. "looks better" is an entirely subjective concept. You cannot argue with a totally subjective concept.

Araciel
09-29-2006, 08:28 AM
i just love it when people spell it ARIES....so if it was aerith, it would ruin my fun

Markus. D
09-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Aerith is far more noble.

G3ORGE
09-29-2006, 06:11 PM
i just love it when people spell it ARIES....so if it was aerith, it would ruin my fun

ARIES:) ............Aerith:p

The Mad Dragons
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Myself, I find that it is more eye pleasing AND sound pleasing to call her Aerith. And no, it's not because It's the official name. This was before I ever even knew what the official name was.

aerithsloveslave
10-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. Last time I checked, you could change characters names in the game. BTW, Sony changed Aerith's name ON PURPOSE to Aeris to avoid any pronunciation errors.

Cetra Angel
10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
M. Bison = Boss, Vega = Badass, Aeris = Flower Girl, Aerith = Cetra

Ryushikaze
10-03-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. Last time I checked, you could change characters names in the game. BTW, Sony changed Aerith's name ON PURPOSE to Aeris to avoid any pronunciation errors.

Given this guy are sick, etc. I won't believe a word until I see their release on this.

M. Bison = Boss, Vega = Badass, Aeris = Flower Girl, Aerith = Cetra

No to the first two, and "the smeg?" on the latter two.

Dr. Acula
10-04-2006, 11:01 PM

Same here.

Hey, there are PLENTY of other translation mistakes in the sea, for example, Ultros's "Well, what do you want I should do?"

Roto13
10-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Cait Sith = Kite Zit

Actually, Cait Sith is pronounced Caught Shee.

Ryushikaze
10-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I've heard it's closer to keht, but that's probably just differences in Gaelic in different regions.